CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Overheard a conversation between two examples of the common clay of the new west this afternoon.   Apparently, the only people getting the virus now are those who have been vaccinated, and it is the vaccinated sheep who are solely responsible for spreading the omicron variant. 

We are so screwed.

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

this isn't really an apology

He would have done well at Nuremberg.  Say everything except that "It didn't really happen."  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I think she's busy goofing on Elvis.

This the new reality where we create our own facts, so you can pound your chest and confidently proclaim that lyric contains the name Annie.  

REM has unequivocally stated that the song is about Andy Kaufman, so - hear me out - MAYBE the lyric is “Andy, are you goofing on Elvis”?

Yeah dude, I get it...was just going with the stream of Michael Jackson to REM songs particularly because of the Elvis tie-in.  And MJ bought the publishing rights to Elvis' catalog around the whole Lisa Marie marriage thing.  And then the Beatles catalog tie-in to that because of how Elvis envied their 60's music making while he was stuck starring in garbage b-flicks.  And how Andy Kaufman and the Beatles members individually wanted to collaborate in the 70's before John and then Andy died.  And how REM marked all of that in their musical lore.  

And then somebody told Trump he should run for President.  And then somebody else fucked a pangolin.  And another somebody drank piss.  And here we are stuck in this fucking simulation because nobody listened to Elvis when he warned us something was wrong in 1962.  

Calling Elvis, is anybody home?  Calling Elvis, I'm here all alone.

Edited by Lobo

I have a confession to make.  I don't know very much about poultry.  But I do know people, and I like you people.  I really do.  And if you people come to me and you say to me.  That you have something to say, important, about poultry.  I'm gonna listen.  Thanks very much! 

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I have a confession to make.  I don't know very much about poultry.  But I do know people, and I like you people.  I really do.  And if you people come to me and you say to me.  That you have something to say, important, about poultry.  I'm gonna listen.  Thanks very much! 

Larry Flynt lost his virginity to a chicken.

3 hours ago, Bravo said:

Well, they were partially right. The vaccinated are spreading it. (as are the unvaxxed). Gotta give them credit for that!

Well, they're pretty much all wrong when they frame it this way:

and it is the vaccinated sheep who are solely responsible for spreading the omicron variant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

NBA says “ahh, fuck it”

Since the national response to covid really started with the NBA suspending its season, it'd be somewhat fitting if this is what made everyone say "fuck it, I guess it's over." Meanwhile it won't really be over and between 2,000 and 3,000 people will continue to die each day from covid, plus an untold number who die of other things that wouldn't have killed them if hospital resources weren't all tied up by antivaxxers. But we've all just about given up trying to do anything more, probably because nothing will overcome the effect of the significant number of antivaxxers we've got.

I've run out of patience or sympathy for any anti-vaxxers. They can die in agony. I should still care about them on some level, because many of them have been duped and taken advantage of by hucksters, but I just can't anymore. Most of them aren't even the least educated Americans. They've got access to real information and they've heard counterarguments. They just prefer to believe in a massive global conspiracy to kill millions of people, because that's somehow more comforting to them than the idea that nobody is really in control of something like this.

It's depressing as fuck though that we're just going to let those people kill those who can't get vaccinated due to medical conditions, some small number for whom the vaccines are just not sufficiently effective, and those who have the shit luck of getting into bad accidents or having other medical emergencies while the hospitals are full of antivaxxers. We're choosing to prioritize the childish feelings of the worst Americans over the lives of our most vulnerable, those most deserving of our sympathy and our help, and I fucking hate it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, wildcat09 said:

We're choosing to prioritize the childish feelings of the worst Americans over the lives of our most vulnerable, those most deserving of our sympathy and our help, and I fucking hate it.

But you DO understand America, 2022, so pat yourself on the back for that level of awareness.

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

We're choosing to prioritize the childish feelings of the worst Americans over the lives of our most vulnerable, those most deserving of our sympathy and our help, and I fucking hate it.

I don't agree. The goal was never to completely stop the spread of covid-19, but to take reasonable measures to limit morbidity and mortality, not to protect the lives of our most vulnerable. Remember Initial efforts were to "flatten the curve," and while we could have done better, deaths were never going to be zero. We are now to the point where if you are vaxed you are going to have very long odds of being seriously or critically ill from the virus, and the likelihood of death is close to zero. Yes there are some who cannot get vaccinated or who will not see the same protective effects for various reasons, but these are very small numbers percentage wise, and tbh have always been at risk from URI's and GI viruses that spread through their communities, and we have never shut down society for them.

I got emails from both trauma centers I work at. Both expect  their covid censuses to peak next week with total numbers being the highest yet but with a much lower ICU census and much less strain on capacity. Each facility had to pause non-urgent procedures for at least 2 weeks during each of the 3 previous large surges, and neither is doing so this time. Things are different at least with omicron for now. Employer vax mandates no doubt will help, but we are on our way to an endemic virus that we will live with

Edited by Sawbonz
  • Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

I don't agree. The goal was never to completely stop the spread of covid-19, but to take reasonable measures to limit morbidity and mortality, not to protect the lives of our most vulnerable. Remember Initial efforts were to "flatten the curve," and while we could have done better, deaths were never going to be zero. We are now to the point where if you are vaxed you are going to have very long odds of being seriously or critically ill from the virus, and the likelihood of death is close to zero. Yes there are some who cannot get vaccinated or who will not see the same protective effects for various reasons, but these are very small numbers percentage wise, and tbh have always been at risk from URI's and GI viruses that spread through their communities, and we have never shut down society for them.

I got emails from both trauma centers I work at. Both expect the their covid censuses to peak next weak with total numbers being the highest yet but with a much lower ICU census and much less strain on capacity. Each facility had to pause non-urgent procedures for at least 2 weeks during each of the 3 previous large surges, and neither is doing so this time. Things are different at least with omicron for now. Employer vax mandates no doubt will help, but we are on our way to an endemic virus that we will live with

I know the original goal (by the time most Americans cared) was never to completely stop covid, but that doesn't mean we haven't elected to prioritize the feelings of our shittiest, most selfish people over the lives of our most vulnerable. That's absolutely what we're doing.

It is certainly the case that completely preventing the spread of covid in America was an unreasonable expectation given all the idiots and assholes determined to fuck things up for everyone. But shit, it's not like we didn't have a literal playbook. It's not like we didn't understand the basics of testing, tracing, and isolating. We could have and should have handled this so much better than we did. There are plenty of reasons for that, but those that can't be chalked up to our federalist governmental structures and capitalist economy can almost all be blamed on a certain segment of our population being just the absolute fucking worst people imaginable.  It's not like we were demanding serious sacrifices from them; we just asked them to temporarily minorly inconvenience themselves for the sake of others.  It should piss every single one of us off that they fucked things up so badly and for so long that they exhausted us. They won by sacrificing hundreds of thousands of Americans to get their way and their prize is they get to kill more decent people who deserve better from the rest of us. We'll pretend they aren't mass murderers because they didn't pull triggers, but we probably shouldn't.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I know the original goal (by the time most Americans cared) was never to completely stop covid, but that doesn't mean we haven't elected to prioritize the feelings of our shittiest, most selfish people over the lives of our most vulnerable. That's absolutely what we're doing.

It is certainly the case that completely preventing the spread of covid in America was an unreasonable expectation given all the idiots and assholes determined to fuck things up for everyone. But shit, it's not like we didn't have a literal playbook. It's not like we didn't understand the basics of testing, tracing, and isolating. We could have and should have handled this so much better than we did. There are plenty of reasons for that, but those that can't be chalked up to our federalist governmental structures and capitalist economy can almost all be blamed on a certain segment of our population being just the absolute fucking worst people imaginable.  It's not like we were demanding serious sacrifices from them; we just asked them to temporarily minorly inconvenience themselves for the sake of others.  It should piss every single one of us off that they fucked things up so badly and for so long that they exhausted us. They won by sacrificing hundreds of thousands of Americans to get their way and their prize is they get to kill more decent people who deserve better from the rest of us. We'll pretend they aren't mass murderers because they didn't pull triggers, but we probably shouldn't.

IMO, American lives could've been saved over the past two years by more people helping mitigate risk.  But I still believe we'd be in the exact same spot right now regarding Omicron looking forward.

43 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It is certainly the case that completely preventing the spread of covid in America was an unreasonable expectation

You didn't need to qualify this statement. **No country successfully prevented the spread, not even China, who literally nailed covid + patients and their families shut in their homes. We could have had fewer cases and deaths with higher vaccination rates, but that's irrelevant at this point

**Edit. New Zealand did a really kick ass job. Not sure how draconian their measures were or whether even left leaning Americans would have tolerated them. But Omicron looks to be blowing them up as well in terms of new infections. We are in a different situation with this variant

***2nd edit I didn't look at Y axis only slope NZ still appears to be kicking Covid ass unless they have yet to see Omicron. Their "surge" peaked in Nov at around 200 new cases per day

43 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's not like we were demanding serious sacrifices from them

Millions of students were out of school for a calendar year. Many of them consider it a lost year and have significant emotional and mental issues from it. Including in my household. Millions lost their jobs and businesses and some even lost their homes. Domestic assaults, substance abuse, and divorce were all significantly up in 2020 and 2021. That's some pretty big sacrifice IMO

Edited by Sawbonz
NZ
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Since the national response to covid really started with the NBA suspending its season, it'd be somewhat fitting if this is what made everyone say "fuck it, I guess it's over." Meanwhile it won't really be over and between 2,000 and 3,000 people will continue to die each day from covid, plus an untold number who die of other things that wouldn't have killed them if hospital resources weren't all tied up by antivaxxers. But we've all just about given up trying to do anything more, probably because nothing will overcome the effect of the significant number of antivaxxers we've got.

I've run out of patience or sympathy for any anti-vaxxers. They can die in agony. I should still care about them on some level, because many of them have been duped and taken advantage of by hucksters, but I just can't anymore. Most of them aren't even the least educated Americans. They've got access to real information and they've heard counterarguments. They just prefer to believe in a massive global conspiracy to kill millions of people, because that's somehow more comforting to them than the idea that nobody is really in control of something like this.

It's depressing as fuck though that we're just going to let those people kill those who can't get vaccinated due to medical conditions, some small number for whom the vaccines are just not sufficiently effective, and those who have the shit luck of getting into bad accidents or having other medical emergencies while the hospitals are full of antivaxxers. We're choosing to prioritize the childish feelings of the worst Americans over the lives of our most vulnerable, those most deserving of our sympathy and our help, and I fucking hate it.

86% of all Americans 18 and over have received at least one shot. 73.4% are fully vaccinated. The percentage of adults unvaccinated, never infected and thus fully vulnerable is extremely low. Maybe 10-15% of adults. If you think that small proportion of the population is why the pandemic is still ongoing, then I think you’re mistaken. Unless, you’re also talking about the unboosted?

I don’t think we’ve prioritized the feelings of antivaxxers. The federal government went after them aggressively and in an unprecedented fashion. Ultimately they have legal rights that must be acknowledged by the government and there are constraints on that government. Private enterprises meanwhile can impose mandates all they want.

Edited by Immaculate Vibes
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5

18 minutes ago, Bravo said:

wrong. i've been told it is a pandemic of the unvaccinated and until that number is 100% then it will never stop. 

No you haven't. But it is true that the vast majority of the severely ill and dying are unvaccinated. That will change as the %vaccinated approaches 100%. But the good news is then the absolute number of critically ill and dying will be very small

44 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

86% of all Americans 18 and over have received at least one shot. 73.4% are fully vaccinated. The percentage of adults unvaccinated, never infected and thus fully vulnerable is extremely low. Maybe 10-15% of adults. If you think that small proportion of the population is why the pandemic is still ongoing, then I think you’re mistaken. Unless, you’re also talking about the unboosted?

I don’t think we’ve prioritized the feelings of antivaxxers. The federal government went after them aggressively and in an unprecedented fashion. Ultimately they have legal rights that must be acknowledged by the government and there are constraints on that government. Private enterprises meanwhile can impose mandates all they want.

The entire Japanese American population during World War 2 would like a word, you whiny bitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Millions of students were out of school for a calendar year. Many of them consider it a lost year and have significant emotional and mental issues from it. Including in my household. Millions lost their jobs and businesses and some even lost their homes. Domestic assaults, substance abuse, and divorce were all significantly up in 2020 and 2021. That's some pretty big sacrifice IMO

i don't know that you can leave even most of this at the feet of government response to the coronavirus.  people stopped participating in society even before there were any sort of mandates. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bravo said:

Unfortunately that voice is Joe Biden actually saying those exact words. 

He said this whole quote?  Your clever little image doesn't show it.

i've been told it is a pandemic of the unvaccinated and until that number is 100% then it will never stop.