NPR story on student loans

Asithappens

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Attitudes like this are exactly how you drive normal people to vote for President Trump.  Plenty of folks out there, young and old, who are happy to pay their own bills.  Many of them vote for Donald Trump and the like.  Mr. Smith lives in a bubble.

Do you disagree with his assertion that college/non-college is the main divide, and that non-college folks see the lack of student debt as a giant plus in their column?

You are in a bubble too fwiw.

I find the cost of college today to be obscene and practically criminal.

however it’s a horrible idea to just write off or forgive debt. One, it rewards people that spent college loan money foolishly.  Two, it encourages colleges to raise costs that much more as the next generation of borrowers  will expect a loan write off on in 10 years or so.

the only way I could get behind a college loan forgiveness program is if the US govt simultaneously got out of the loan guarantee business. Ask banks to take on the risk based on the individual, degree program etc.  or ask schools to take on the risk. Or even have the govt increase tuition assistance, but no more loan guarantees by the taxpayer.  These programs were abused by the schools to raise students costs.

• Hook 'Em 7

This is why I don't make the big bucks as a management consultant, but the answer has to include a win for all parties, and I'm not completely sure how one would do that.

I come to this problem from the angle that we can forgive loans but we need to be able to pay the folks responsible who paid their loans. Who made the sacrifices and budgeted and did without in order to service their debt as an obligation; maybe a moral one, definitely a legal one, and maybe both. 

The optics behind it otherwise are damning and dare I say a moral hazard; it appears as if being responsible and prudent is being punished while there is no punishment for being foolish. 

That said, I think a practical and easy fix for this is to just let Student Loans be included in Bankruptcy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

however it’s a horrible idea to just write off or forgive debt. One, it rewards people that spent college loan money foolishly.  Two, it encourages colleges to raise costs that much more as the next generation of borrowers  will expect a loan write off on in 10 years or so.

the only way I could get behind a college loan forgiveness program is if the US govt simultaneously got out of the loan guarantee business. Ask banks to take on the risk based on the individual, degree program etc.  or ask schools to take on the risk. Or even have the govt increase tuition assistance, but no more loan guarantees by the taxpayer.  These programs were abused by the schools to raise students costs.

On the list of foolish things official government policy encourages, this is so far down the list that it doesn't even register. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

This is why I don't make the big bucks as a management consultant, but the answer has to include a win for all parties, and I'm not completely sure how one would do that.

I come to this problem from the angle that we can forgive loans but we need to be able to pay the folks responsible who paid their loans. Who made the sacrifices and budgeted and did without in order to service their debt as an obligation; maybe a moral one, definitely a legal one, and maybe both. 

The optics behind it otherwise are damning and dare I say a moral hazard; it appears as if being responsible and prudent is being punished while there is no punishment for being foolish. 

That said, I think a practical and easy fix for this is to just let Student Loans be included in Bankruptcy.  

Also I meant to add:

It's not an apples to apples or effective comparison to say "But, what about the companies that the government bails out!" because that, theoretically, affects all citizens who pay taxes. This is discriminatory by definition in that it helps only the most debt-ridden, whether that debt was not taken and is not being serviced responsibly through unfortunate and legitimate circumstances or through ignorance and foolishness.

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Also I meant to add:

It's not an apples to apples or effective comparison to say "But, what about the companies that the government bails out!" because that, theoretically, affects all citizens who pay taxes. This is discriminatory by definition in that it helps only the most debt-ridden, whether that debt was not taken and is not being serviced responsibly through unfortunate and legitimate circumstances or through ignorance and foolishness.

Well, Biden's plan only forgives outstanding debt for people who work in government or nonprofit positions and have been paying off their loans for at least 20 years. It's a woefully inadequate plan, but it certainly doesn't have the "problems" you ascribe to it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Well, Biden's plan only forgives outstanding debt for people who work in government or nonprofit positions and have been paying off their loans for at least 20 years. It's a woefully inadequate plan, but it certainly doesn't have the "problems" you ascribe to it.

Yea, I feel like those are really strong verifiers and a great start.

Would you have a problem in making Loan Forgiveness be a "quick win" by just removing the restriction from allowing student loans to being discharged in bankruptcy? It gives people a way out, but there is sufficient punitive sting, to restart and learn from mistakes potentially.

• Hook 'Em 2

The political moment we'll be in come January will weigh heavily in favor of, at the very least, some targeted loan forgiveness. The Republican controlled Senate will be in full obstruction mode again/still, and no doubt McConnell will either say it aloud, like he did at the beginning of Obama's first term, or he'll operate that way quietly. Their goal will be a one-term Biden. Combine that with an economy in need of economic stimulus, and tools entirely under executive control will be vital. This is one, and he simply must use it. Do it right, and money the fisc would be gobbling up gets redirected to economic channels that should help our recovery.

Pubs can whinge and whimper about moral hazard all they want. Besides the fact that they've lost the standing to complain about all forms of morality, the game the next few years will be about actually helping people, not corporations, economically. Do that, and Biden will have sturdy coattails in the midterms and a strong case for a second term. Fail to do it, and be prepared for Dem carnage.

8 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Pubs can whinge and whimper about moral hazard all they want. Besides the fact that they've lost the standing to complain about all forms of morality, the game the next few years will be about actually helping people, not corporations, economically. Do that, and Biden will have sturdy coattails in the midterms and a strong case for a second term. Fail to do it, and be prepared for Dem carnage.

Are you essentially saying that doing nothing for those who sacrificed, did without, and responsibly met their financial obligations on one hand and on the other offering blanket loan forgiveness for people loaded up to the gils with bad debt from expensive and/or for-profit schools, not finishing their programs despite taking loans, or irresponsibly borrowing for low-value career paths is punishment for the Pubs? 

The above sounds very much like "let the Pubs complain we are doing this anyways and they deserve to eat the poop on this one!"

That said, I like Biden's loan plan a lot as a start and would also like to see some reform in allowing student loans be discharged through bankruptcy. We can make sensible reform without being ridiculous. 

Edited by DonkeyCigars

11 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Are you essentially saying that doing nothing for those who sacrificed, did without, and responsibly met their financial obligations on one hand and on the other offering blanket loan forgiveness for people loaded up to the gils with bad debt from expensive and/or for-profit schools, not finishing their programs despite taking loans, or irresponsibly borrowing for low-value career paths is punishment for the Pubs? 

The above sounds very much like "let the Pubs complain we are doing this anyways and they deserve to eat the poop on this one!"

That said, I like Biden's loan plan a lot as a start and would also like to see some reform in allowing student loans be discharged through bankruptcy. We can make sensible reform without being ridiculous. 

This describes me. Biden's plan won't forgive any of my loans. I don't meet the qualifications and have privately refinanced my student loan debt so the only way that's getting forgiven is if legislation is passed that buys out all outstanding private student loan debt. I would love for that to happen, but the GOP Senate will never let it. Given that, I have absolutely no problem with a Biden administration forgiving debt for those it has the power to forgive, and I'll place the blame for them not doing something for me where it belongs, at the feet of the scum that are the GOP Senate caucus.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The cost of college is way too high, however, the notion that it's "horrible" to forgive debt is, well, asinine imo. 

No. That should be done anyway and on its own merits.

Fuck the "personal responsibility" concern trolling. We've got numerous posts in this thread eloquently stating why that's bullshit and selectively applied to those who don't already have money and power. The overwhelming majority of people with student loan debt, I'm talking like 95% or more, took out that debt because they had no other option and were told they needed a college degree to be able to make it in America. We were exploited and lied to and abused by a system so that a select few worthless shitstain irresponsible pricks could "earn" ungodly sums of money that was wholly incommensurate with the value they added to society.

We've just spent four years with Donald Trump as president, watching his demon spawn use the United States federal government simultaneously as their own piggy bank and as muscle to extort money from everyone else they could think of. We've spent decades now watching the GOP give trillions of dollars to people who absolutely did nothing to deserve it but already be rich and bribe Republican politicians. We've seen them further rig the system to exploit the powerless at every goddamn turn to give more and more money to the worst people in America, to the point that they've spent months letting a pandemic ravage America so that their donors can snatch up smaller businesses and assets on the cheap. Your party's officials have completely abandoned their most basic duty to protect American lives because their donors realized that even a pandemic could be good for their pockets.

And suddenly Republicans are concerned about the moral hazard of student loan debt forgiveness? If this was a just country, you and your friends would be terrified about guillotines right now.

Based off this really weird reaction, I feel like having a reasonable discourse around this is not possible so I'll respectfully bow out now. Good luck out there, friend.

Our national bank is partnering with a lending company to do something interesting in this space.  Starting with graduate degrees (dentists, pet vets, and lawyers to start), but I suspect it'll be down in the undergraduate loan ecosystem by the end of the decade.  Not my idea, so don't shoot the messenger.  

When you underwrite a student loan, of course you look at the student's (and often their parents) credit score, timeline, size of the loan, etc.  All the basics.  Nothing new there.  But all other underwriting is so much more in depth and forward looking.  Why have there not been equally rigorous metrics applied to student loans?  A $100k loan to study Art History at Vassar College is just not the same as a $100k loan to study business or engineering or law at the University of Texas.  We need to quit underwriting them that way.  "Student Loan Forgiveness" is just another bullshit political label slapped onto shit like "Pro-Life" (who the fuck is against "Life"?).  It's not, it's "Loan Default Reprieve."  I want more well-rounded humanities-read people in the workforce.  I hold three degrees, two of which are Liberal Arts degrees.  But we have to quit acting like all student loans are the same.  We learned the fucking hard way that not all primary resident mortgages were the same.  We know all auto loans aren't the same.  We know all commercial loans aren't the same.  Centuries have taught us this.  But we pretend as a society that all undergraduate degrees are the same.  They are not.  They are all worthy and needed in a well-rounded society.  But I don't want to have a national conversation about pouring hundreds of billions into the "Student Loan Default Reprieve" market unless we are going to at least recognize that certain "assets" (in this case not homes or cars, but brains) have better repayment odds than others.  That's all underwriting/de-risking is, it's the basis of all lending.  You are encouraged to pursue liberal arts or education or similar degrees with a more robust federal grant program.  But as for forgiving all these past trillions, we gotta look at it from who can repay and why not?  

If you support FHA/VA, Freddie/Fannie, SBA, USDA, and any of a dozen other GSE backed loans...then you know how those loans are underwritten and what has to happen for forgiveness/forbearance.  I don't understand why student loans would be completely separate from those multi-trillion, multi-century platforms that are the hallmarks of Progressive Politics in this nation.  They've already tested the waters with students/young professionals in teaching...why not extend that logic outward even more?  It would also have some potential tacit societal good in that it could help us solve the massive shortages we are already seeing in nursing, teaching, analysts, programmers, social workers, et. al.  

Every week we make economic decisions based on the future cost of it, why should our educational choices be any different?  Particularly since it's taxpayer money.  I am happy to help a teacher retire her loan.  She wants to live near my kids' school and that's expensive and eliminating that part of her budget helps us all make her a part of our kids' community.  I want artists, musicians, philosophers, and historians in my neighborhood as well.  And would be willing to subsidize it if everybody involved was just a little more fucking proactive about it up front.  

Edited by Lobo

Based on this reaction, it's clear you have no idea how incredibly outrageous your conduct and that of your party (and if you're a boomer, your generation) has been. White, conservative boomers were given a fucking paradise that their parents and grandparents fought and bled and died to build (if that sounds crazy to you then do some reading on the labor movement). They were given affordable college, affordable housing, the best infrastructure, all without needing to incur substantial personal debt, but that wasn't enough for them so they dismantled it and sold it for scrap for a little more, and now their children and grandchildren have to fight and bleed and die to rebuild it.

And after breaking that nice publicly-funded education system they were given, they told us to take out loans if we wanted to go to school and now want to turn around and lecture us for having been dumb enough to listen to them. It's literally absurd.

We aren't going to agree here, but I do like your opinions in other threads and conversations. Have a great day wildcat my friend! 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

At the very least, student loans should be subject to the same bankruptcy laws as all other consumer debt.

This is the reasonable response which is exactly why it won't happen. Give them bankruptcy protection and figure out a way to stop the bleeding of rising education costs.

Instead we will do nothing, or make it worse by throwing a shit ton of money at people to keep throwing it away. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

No.

Yes, this move would be politically advantageous for Dems, and can be done unilaterally. And we can type "shit" here.

Reform requires control of both houses and the presidency or cooperation from Pubs. We will not likely see the latter except on reform that enriches the already rich, and the former is at least one election cycle away.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

At the very least, student loans should be subject to the same bankruptcy laws as all other consumer debt.

And all interest should be deductible, not limited by amount, and not phased out with income (or raise the phase out to like $750,000 to $1,000,000 salaries).

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

Attitudes like this are exactly how you drive normal people to vote for President Trump.  Plenty of folks out there, young and old, who are happy to pay their own bills.  Many of them vote for Donald Trump and the like.  Mr. Smith lives in a bubble.

people for whom the government paid for college telling people paying the government for college that they need to take personal responsibility is such fantastic bullshit.

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Just started reading this topic, but this is where I am.  Take a govt job, join the armed forces, take a teaching job, or work in whatever the current job corps is called.

The taxpayers need a return on the money they are investing in your education.  There are options.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

Just started reading this topic, but this is where I am.  Take a govt job, join the armed forces, take a teaching job, or work in whatever the current job corps is called.

The taxpayers need a return on the money they are investing in your education.  There are options.

The return is their future productivity, just like it was for the generations who went to college cheap because it was subsidized. 

• Hook 'Em 8

Further, folks who are in college debt tend to be in the economic class that puts any extra funds right back into the economy.

On the surface, the government may pay back a 30k loan for an individual. But, if that individual turns around and puts $300 extra dollars a month into the economy for ten years, then you have likely created economic activity well above 30k.

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

people for whom the government paid for college telling people paying the government for college that they need to take personal responsibility is such fantastic bullshit.

This. We're the first generation that is actively taxed for trying to get an education. Nothing brings out my desire for guillotines more than this shit. Education is such a foundational necessity for any developed country and the GOP is stuck in the 18th century, thinking it should be a privilege only the wealthy (and those who might be immediately useful to them) get to enjoy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/17/2020 at 9:28 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

the only way I could get behind a college loan forgiveness program is if the US govt simultaneously got out of the loan guarantee business. ...  These programs were abused by the schools to raise students costs.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Affordable college.  Affordable housing.  Once government gets involved, markets get distorted.  And it's not a problem until it is and then it's really a problem.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, bernorange said:

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Affordable college.  Affordable housing.  Once government gets involved, markets get distorted.  And it's not a problem until it is and then it's really a problem.

This is the worst post you've ever made.

• Hook 'Em 2

Markets distort themselves through the concentration and coordination of supply and wealth.
  • Hook 'Em 2

A paper recently published by the Philadelphia Federal Reserve claims that education loan defaults are largely due to the federal government relaxing accountability measures for higher ed institutions.

“Newly sanctioned institutions rapidly contract and exit, sending defaults falling; when constraints are lifted, affected institutions expand rapidly, and defaults surge,” Adam Looney and Constantine Yannelis, the report’s authors, wrote. “Today’s crisis largely stems from repeal or reduction in accountability measures between 1998 and 2006, and expansions in federal aid and loan limits in the mid-2000s.”

https://elective.collegeboard.org/student-loan-crisis-more-complicated-number

We demonstrate that expansions and contractions in federal student loan credit to institutions with high default rates explain most of the time series variation in student loan defaults between 1980 and 2010. Expansions in loan eligibility between 1976 and 1988 led to the entry of new, high-risk institutions, and default rates exceeding 30 percent in the late 1980s. Credit access was subsequently tightened through strict institutional and student accountability measures. This contracted credit availability at the highest default rate institutions, which in turn caused an exodus of institutions with high default rates, resulting in lower default rates on student loans. After 1992, the cycle was repeated, with credit access gradually loosened by unwinding many of the pre-1992 reforms. We confirm this time series narrative by examining discrete policy changes governing access to credit to show that tightening credit supply led to the closure of high-default schools and the relaxation of accountability rules resulted in their expansion. Our estimates imply that 85 percent of the increase in default between 1980 and 1990, and 95 percent of the decrease in default between 1990 and 2000 is driven by schools entering and exiting loan programs. One-third of the recent increase in default is associated with the entry of online programs following the relaxation of rules for lending to online schools, and another third is associated with the abolition of rules limiting the share of revenue coming from federal programs.

https://www.philadelphiafed.org/consumer-finance/education-finance/the-consequences-of-student-loan-credit-expansions-evidence-from-three-decades-of-default-cycles

A few of you are pointing fingers at the wrong direction - govt. Why are the borrowers not looking for a refund from the universities.

If I buy something I'm dissatisfied with, I don't complain to Chase Bank to give me my money bank, I ask the store for a refund. I'm sure the school will laugh at the suggestion but the problem is with them not with the banks/guarantors that gave you money that you said you would pay back.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:
1 hour ago, bernorange said:

Markets distort themselves through the concentration and coordination of supply and wealth.

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

There's also that whole thing where a "free" market has no incentive to provide education to those who can't afford to pay.

You're all pretty much right.

Wildcat is absolutely correct that a free market provides no incentive to educate the masses, or at least no short-term perspective does.

But bolstering the availability of student loans through loan guarantees and whatever other incentives there are had some dire unintended consequences:  liberating state governments to cut support, creating an artificial demand and price elasticity, raising tuition, and all of this conspired to saddle students with unconscionable debt.

I don't know the history of student loans, but I do know that loans as a form of financial aid didn't really exist until the 60s or later.  Might have been based on the success of the GI BIll, I'm not sure.  But this is a prime example of what seems to be a well-intentioned, but expensive, government program that has gone way off the rails.

I'm as guilty as anyone of blaming the student for picking an unrealistic major and incurring $100k in debt to obtain the degree.  My ire is really directed at the parents, many of whom should know better (and should have done a better job preparing for the costs of education and the student herself), and the universities and lending institutions.  

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

The govt should only guarantee a certain amount of debt and i don't think that amount should be overly high. If a student wants more loans, then find it on the open market. Otherwise find a cheaper alternative for education. Everyone wants their perfect school and degree but that student needs a Rolling Stones lesson in that you can't always get what you want.

The schools should also be held accountable in that if their drop out rate is too high, then their students should get less (fewer?) loan guarantees. That might sound like it punishes those students but those students should move on and let the school fail.  (I realize this is impossible due to the tight relationship between govt and universities.)

Our higher education basically works as a capitalistic system with a govt safety net. That will never work well. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bernorange said:

The vast majority of affordable housing is delivered via the market either as naturally occurring affordable housing or private equity in the form of tax credits.

After a two year study by CommonBond...#1 indicator that you are likely to default on your student loan?  Not major, not school, not current job, not income level, not where you live, and not credit score.  

It's whether or not you completed your bachelor's degree/graduated.  There's a reason places list, "Some College" under "Highest Educational Level"  

Not saying it's good, bad, or indifferent.  But the data is in, and it's not even close.