The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

17 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Well, the non P-car life lasted a year. While I loved the Trackhawk, the wife hated it and was forced to drive it while hers was in the shop. So, back to Porsche. Rainy so will have to get a less shitty pic up. Dark brown leather wasn’t first choice but it’s growing on me.
2a245317dfa3d14b1a0d864c9e72a0a5.jpg
61c427083dc9e6ded31a9bd582c636df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet Aventador.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If you're a Normal Car person, Hyundai-Kia has been doing everything seemingly right.  From the i20 to forte to Elantra to ceed to the g70 to stinger to santa Fe to palisade.  The Genesis brand and N sport line are just efforts.

But apparently the financials are not so good, largest due to them missing the compact SUV trends and such. 

Sucks if they are forced to change brand ethos to make more shit-ass crv/rav4 clones and such

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

Well, the non P-car life lasted a year. While I loved the Trackhawk, the wife hated it and was forced to drive it while hers was in the shop. So, back to Porsche. Rainy so will have to get a less shitty pic up. Dark brown leather wasn’t first choice but it’s growing on me.
2a245317dfa3d14b1a0d864c9e72a0a5.jpg
61c427083dc9e6ded31a9bd582c636df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baller.  Well done. Love the exterior color.   It a huge fan of the cocoa interior, but it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me either.  

Anything can be hacked.  Lump this in with the "black boxes that snitch on you" (to forensics teams post-accident) and Teslas with unencrypted logging and camera feeds.

More offensive (to me) is the pitch from every major car insurance agency to offer marginal discounts for plans that monitor your driving via OBD-II dongle.  They can get fucked.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Like 3

This July will mark 15 years of my 2005 997 C2S.  It now has 62,000 on the clock.  There is no question it has been far and away the best car I have ever owned.  Nothing else is anywhere close.  I still drive it a couple times per week, and while it was a fully loaded car some creature comforts like satellite radio and blue tooth were not even available back then.  Crazy to think about now as those things are must have standards.  While it show some sign of age as it was a daily driver for about 10 years, I am still amazed at how well it has held up.  The interior still is tight, the leather still soft, supple and has held up well.  The leather dash could probably use a little touch up as it has faded in a spot of two.  I still love it every time I get in it.  The sound of the engine, exhaust is still exciting.  the way it drives is still so damn much fun.  aside from tires and oil changes I have probably spent less than 5k on any other repairs over the years.  I did replace a water pump about 5 years ago.  It has the carbon ceramic brakes so Ive never changed the brake pads nor rotors, thank god.  I hope to keep this thing for another 15 years.  

• Like 2

On 3/21/2019 at 4:45 AM, Sam Lin said:

Alcantara is dumb marketing dogshit and it pisses me off how widespread it is now. Tavarish agrees:

https://jalopnik.com/suede-is-a-garbage-material-for-car-interiors-1733409981

Haha that's hilarious.  The most staggering use of Alcantara is the keyboard of the Surface laptop.  No one is going to convince me that that is a good idea.

On 3/31/2019 at 12:25 PM, tbone_ said:

New Tahoe as mentioned above. Thoroughly pleased after a week.

198058933fde6b132e4ae31e12aaed98.jpg

Very nice... I've driven a Ford truck for the last 14 years and my wife is telling me it's time get something like this. Second kid will be here in a few months so a third row would be handy but I still need something that could handle ranch roads in West Texas. Tahoe check those boxes?

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Haha that's hilarious.  The most staggering use of Alcantara is the keyboard of the Surface laptop.  No one is going to convince me that that is a good idea.

My wife's laptop has held up fine, for half a year.  That's because after some trouble getting it, she's used it on about 4 occasions.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 8:12 AM, 52-80 said:

If you're a Normal Car person, Hyundai-Kia has been doing everything seemingly right.  From the i20 to forte to Elantra to ceed to the g70 to stinger to santa Fe to palisade.  The Genesis brand and N sport line are just efforts.

But apparently the financials are not so good, largest due to them missing the compact SUV trends and such. 

Sucks if they are forced to change brand ethos to make more shit-ass crv/rav4 clones and such

well what's the hyundai tuscon?

Very nice... I've driven a Ford truck for the last 14 years and my wife is telling me it's time get something like this. Second kid will be here in a few months so a third row would be handy but I still need something that could handle ranch roads in West Texas. Tahoe check those boxes?

I think so. Third row isn’t super usable for adults but fine for kids. I might not get the 22s if I was driving on rough roads a lot but there are other options.

They are redesigning the Tahoe for 2020. Guessing the third row might become more usable. I wanted the current gen because I like it and they are discounting them more now than I expect they will be on the new gen. Also user forums say watch out for 1st year of new gens because of problems.

8 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Several of the ranches I've hunted over the last 10 years have had Tahoes as the ranch vehicles.  One was 18k acres in Coke county, and they handled that beating fine.  In fact, 2 of the 3 in the camp were Tahoes with mud tires on them. Leather and all.  Was nice.

*note - My wifes Yukon Denali would sit way too low (stock).   You would have to lift it a bit and put some real tires under it.  Also, its only AWD so while better than 2x, still not 4x.

I love my 2016 Sierra, but the one thing I hate about it is the ride.  The Rancho shocks on the Z71 suck, and I'm surprised GM continues to use them on their new trucks.  I've heard the non-Z71 trucks ride better, but still not great.  Pick up the February (I think) edition of Car and Driver and they did a comparo of the Big 3 American 1/2 tons.  The newest of the group, the Silverado, finished last, mostly due to the rough ride and shitty interior compared to the F-150 and Ram.  I'm as big of a GM loyalist as anyone, but I think Ford has them beat in every important category for full size trucks and SUVs.

21 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

It has the carbon ceramic brakes so Ive never changed the brake pads nor rotors, thank god

Totally your call but I have always been told and abide by you replace the pads on pccb’s at 50% in order to protect the rotors. Pretty easy diy on the 997’s.  

Despite that, still amazed you got 68k miles out of them.  

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Totally your call but I have always been told and abide by you replace the pads on pccb’s at 50% in order to protect the rotors. Pretty easy diy on the 997’s.  

Despite that, still amazed you got 68k miles out of them.  

oads show virtually no wear at this point believe it or not.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

oads show virtually no wear at this point believe it or not.  

That's impressive.  On street mine may last 20k -25k miles (pads not rotors).  When I used to do DE's, they would last 2-4 weekends depending on the track..But, that's pulling them at 50%. Never would have thought they could bake it to 70k + miles.  

45 minutes ago, G650 said:

If you are knowledgeable and an easy braker you can easily double the lifespan on most any pad and rotor, including ceramics. 

I definitely would not classify myself as an easy braker.  I like to think smooth...but, definitely not easy.  

If you are knowledgeable and an easy braker you can easily double the lifespan on most any pad and rotor, including ceramics. 

Where’s the fun in that?

I have a few friends with old ‘Hoes that have aged into hunting/fishing-mobiles and they age very well IMO. I’ve really enjoyed the Audi but I think I want something I can beat on a little for my next car and take the boy hunting and fishing. I don’t need anything that big so I’m thinking 4Runner or Grand Cherokee.

My car disagrees with you. I'm pretty light on the brakes and i had to do fronts and rears by 40k. Hopefully the aftermarket replacements last longer.

26 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Where’s the fun in that?

I have a few friends with old ‘Hoes that have aged into hunting/fishing-mobiles and they age very well IMO. I’ve really enjoyed the Audi but I think I want something I can beat on a little for my next car and take the boy hunting and fishing. I don’t need anything that big so I’m thinking 4Runner or Grand Cherokee.

There’s only one choice between those two, if you plan on owning it more than 3 years past it’s manufacture date. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, G650 said:

My car disagrees with you. I'm pretty light on the brakes and i had to do fronts and rears by 40k. Hopefully the aftermarket replacements last longer.

For pads? That's not bad. 

The car game here Dubai is picking up a bit, but still nothing like it was in 2010. Did see a P1, two Merc GTs and an Aventador 

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

Fuck Jalopnik, fuck Doug DeMuro and Schmee.  If we collectively look down on articles linked to Deadspin, the rule should apply across the entirety of Gawker Media.

/rant

29 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

Fuck Jalopnik, fuck Doug DeMuro and Schmee.  If we collectively look down on articles linked to Deadspin, the rule should apply across the entirety of Gawker Media.

/rant

why am i supposed to look down on deadspin?

41 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

/rant

Jalopnik is basically a blog that's 35% title, 5% written content, 10% hyperlinking to actual source, with the remaining 50% as affiliate advertising for Amazon.

It's the foulest facade of journalism on the web.  Atleast HuffPo takes a point of view (as shitty as those views are).

Doug is a complete herb.  And Schmee is the teenage British version of him.  I don't know why the UK breeds this endemic cestpool of young males who love to film themselves blathering about cars.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, G650 said:
For pads? That's not bad. 

The car game here Dubai is picking up a bit, but still nothing like it was in 2010. Did see a P1, two Merc GTs and an Aventador 

Pads and rotors all around. Fronts went around 30k. Just did rears a few months ago.

Rotors? Goddamn lead foot. I got 100k out of my rotors on my F85.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Jalopnik is basically a blog that's 35% title, 5% written content, 10% hyperlinking to actual source, with the remaining 50% as affiliate advertising for Amazon.

It's the foulest facade of journalism on the web.  Atleast HuffPo takes a point of view (as shitty as those views are).

Doug is a complete herb.  And Schmee is the teenage British version of him.  I don't know why the UK breeds this endemic cestpool of young males who love to film themselves blathering about cars.

I like Demuro.  Cannot fucking stand Schmee, though.  

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Where’s the fun in that?

The answer is used Land Cruiser.

Anyone had experience leasing a BMW loaner with less then 5,000 miles? BMW forums tell me these cars are still applicable for lease cash and loyalty but dealership is playing dumb and says they cannot offer. 

I’m trying to get my wife a 2019 X6 for cheap and supposedly $5,250 in lease credit is being offered by BMW FS. Dealership won’t bite. Alas paying $550 a month for a $80k car is probably too good to be true. 

10 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

The answer is used Land Cruiser.

I am actually on the active hunt for one of these right now.  I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to bite.  Basically, I am looking for one in the 1990-2003 range that is say 15k or less, runs great, and me and the kiddo can destroy going to hunt and fish and not gaf.  

10 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Bloomberg says we've reached "Peak Car."  I believe it, but this has been said 100x for the last 4-5 years.  OTOH, it's positive news for those who enjoy casual drives and loathe those around us who have no interest in vehicles.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-28/this-is-what-peak-car-looks-like

interesting theory.  as one who is definitely entering the "get off my lawn" phase I simply cannot imagine not driving.  I love it.  I am 100% carophile, and you'd have to pry my naturally aspirated box 6, and naturally aspirated V8 from my cold dead hands.  I simply couldn't imagine not having those things as part of my daily routine.  Firing them up, sitting in a race inspired drivers seat and working a manual gear box on my way to and from work, or just out and about is one of life's great pleasures for me.  No way I could let that go.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

interesting theory.  as one who is definitely entering the "get off my lawn" stage phase I simply cannot imagine not driving.  I love it.  I am 100% carophile, and you'd have to pry my naturally aspirated box 6, and naturally aspirated V8 from my cold dead hands.  I simply couldn't imagine not having those things as part of my daily routine.  Firing them up, sitting in a race inspired drivers seat and working a manual gear box on my way to and from work, or just out and about is one of life's great pleasures for me.  No way I could let that go.  
Agreed 100%...but most people are not like us. Pretty much everyone I work with gives no shits about cars. Whatever is cheap and reliable is what they're interested in.

57 minutes ago, Okie State said:
59 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:
interesting theory.  as one who is definitely entering the "get off my lawn" stage phase I simply cannot imagine not driving.  I love it.  I am 100% carophile, and you'd have to pry my naturally aspirated box 6, and naturally aspirated V8 from my cold dead hands.  I simply couldn't imagine not having those things as part of my daily routine.  Firing them up, sitting in a race inspired drivers seat and working a manual gear box on my way to and from work, or just out and about is one of life's great pleasures for me.  No way I could let that go.  

Agreed 100%...but most people are not like us. Pretty much everyone I work with gives no shits about cars. Whatever is cheap and reliable is what they're interested in.

Yup

I’ve always been a car guy. Always will be. That said I believe the peak car thing.

When you step back and really look at it, our car centric way of life and development where we build massive concrete slabs for people to drive on, use up significant valuable land or building costs for people to park in in increasingly dense urban environments, flood the atmosphere with auto emissions, and use massive amounts of finite natural resources to crank out the 10million cars a year, just so a vast majority of the population can have a relatively new transportation machine that sits idle 95% of the time so it can be convenient 5% of the time isn’t very efficient.

But you can pry my 68 firebird’s carburetor, v8, and 5 speed out of my cold dead’s hands too.

• Like 5

its not up to the enthusiast to decide.  if you look at most of the corporate presentations of the big manufacturers, they aim to make half of their sales in 5 years or so as EVs.  ICE cars are really going the way of the dodo.