Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

57 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Grosso with the game winning penalty! Hook em!!!

What is the comprehensive list of incoming, current and former Texas athletes with medals?  I know some events are still ongoing

• Ryan Crouser - gold
  • Teahna Daniels - silver
  • Erica Sullivan - silver
  • Cat Osterman - silver
  • Julia Grosso- gold
  • Lydia Jacoby - gold and silver

KD, Ariel Atkins and Chiaka Ogbogu are all guaranteed at least silver by virtue of playing in gold medal games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Italy won the individual 100m and the 4x100?    Did they have three other guys who were born in Texas on the relay team?

1 hour ago, WBT said:

So double gold for the El Paso born Italian

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I like the guy. Ft Bliss FTW.

Italy made England (/Great Britain here) their BITCH!... AGAIN!

Italians breaking English hearts like bosses in the summer of 2021.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.14.27 AM.png

italy-qualifies-for-100m-relay-race-in-tokyo-olympics-jacobs.jpeg

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.20.08 AM.png

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What is the comprehensive list of incoming, current and former Texas athletes with medals?  I know some events are still ongoing

• Ryan Crouser - gold
  • Teahna Daniels - silver
  • Erica Sullivan - silver
  • Cat Osterman - silver
  • Julia Grosso- gold
  • Lydia Jacoby - gold and silver

KD, Ariel Atkins and Chiaka Ogbogu are all guaranteed at least silver by virtue of playing in gold medal games. 

jordan windle advanced to the semis? in the 10m platform. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

To me, there is no Olympic moment as inspiring as the hugs the volleyball players give each other after every f’n point. \

The volleyball players?   I wish they'd hug each other between points, turn away, and then come back and hug each other again.

Yeah, it's inspiring.  That's one way to put it I suppose.

57 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think they’ve been ramping up the PEDs to ridiculous levels in China since at least the build up for the Beijing Olympics.  They were going to perform well in 2008 for the home crowd come hell or high water.  They had some female swimmers in that Olympics that came out of nowhere to shatter records and physically looked about as close to the old East Germans as I’ve seen.  

I mean, this is a totalitarian nation that still effectively has slavery and concentration camps, and who is notorious for stealing foreign IP as a standard practice in their business dealings.  So, it’s kind of quaint to think they’re above state-sponsored cheating to win at the Olympics. 

Yep..  I recall they really did well in the pool and gymnastics in 2008.  This and what looked like downright deception of the age of some of their athletes, especially on the women's side.   I recall this did get some coverage at the time, but no follow through like the Russian ordeal.

As corrupt as the IOC was (is), it shouldn't shock anyone if China is doing exactly this with the PED's and the IOC is looking the other way.  They've done an excellent job shifting blame for Covid to others, so shutting down any interest from investigative bodies outside of China and  the international media is a walk in the park. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep..  I recall they really did well in the pool and gymnastics in 2008.  This and what looked like downright deception of the age of some of their athletes, especially on the women's side.   I recall this did get some coverage at the time, but no follow through like the Russian ordeal.

As corrupt as the IOC was (is), it shouldn't shock anyone if China is doing exactly this with the PED's and the IOC is looking the other way.  They've done an excellent job shifting blame for Covid to others, so shutting down any interest from investigative bodies outside of China and  the international media is a walk in the park. 

And China is hosting in about 5 or 6 months. 

They don't want China to pull the plug on the 2022 Winter Olympics and blame COVID when the IOC knows damn well that China doesn't give a shit about people dying from COVID.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

And China is hosting in about 5 or 6 months. 

They don't want China to pull the plug on the 2022 Winter Olympics and blame COVID when the IOC knows damn well that China doesn't give a shit about people dying from COVID.

Thing that concerns China the most probably is they won’t be able to suppress their Covid numbers when the Olympics are in town. More than likely though, Covid numbers will rise during the Olympics and the Chinese government will blame the foreigners for spreading it 

7 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Track and Field participation is lower at  the middle school and high school level.   You can thank kids being pushed to “specialize” into going year around in one sport such as baseball.   Used to be many of your high school athletes were two sport athletes and Track was the second sport.   Football players were almost required to participate in Track as part of Spring conditioning 

Increased specialization along with constant feeding of self esteem and the everyone deserves a trophy culture has made many of our athletes too fragile to overcome adversity. Trying and failing at multiple sports builds character and resilience. I see more Americans succumbing to pressure and then crying upon failing than from other countries. It seems to get worse with each Olympics.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

you can bet your bottom dollar something is up with China and their sudden rise in sports

If you watched the lighter weight classes in both men’s and women’s weight lifting - both of which are dominated by Asians - there was a noticeable difference in the muscularity of the Chinese compared to other Asian lifters. We saw that several Olympics ago when broad-shouldered Chinese women-beasts were suddenly dominating everything from 400m down. When they got busted they quickly stopped dominating. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, WBT said:

American in the lead pack of 5 in the women's marathon at the 22 mile mark.  On USA.

Now running 3rd behind the 2 Kenyans with 2 miles to go.  The other 2 that were in the lead pack have dropped back.

Part of the success of China in the Olympics is likely related to outright cheating but some of it also is they win a lot of golds in sports that simply don't resonate in somewhere like the US at a young age.  

~60% of their golds and all but a few of their silver medals have come in

Table tennis, diving, weightlifting, gymnastics, badminton, and shooting 

They focus on shit they can win.  Badminton and table tennis....in the US, unless you are Forest Gump those things can fuck off.  

27 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:
So this American lady from Wisconsin had only run two, that's two, marathons in her life.  And she medaled today?

Show me a more amazing performance in these Olympics.  

Insanely good.

The shit we love to see

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

This team rhythmic gymnastics thing (currently on USA) should just be called Bunch of Flying Taints on Display. 

I've always felt like it was a tryout for Cirque du Soleil and/or Oil Sheiks looking to buy some Slavs for 6 to 24 months.

Not watching it now, but I've seen some of it before.

13 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Increased specialization along with constant feeding of self esteem and the everyone deserves a trophy culture has made many of our athletes too fragile to overcome adversity. Trying and failing at multiple sports builds character and resilience. I see more Americans succumbing to pressure and then crying upon failing than from other countries. It seems to get worse with each Olympics.

Okay well the results don't support this theory. Total medal count we are up handily. We may or may not catch China for gold count. 

Going back, in 2004 we edged China by 4 golds and Russia by 11 total medals. In 2008 China won 12 more golds than us but we took total count. In 2012 China was fairly close in both gold and total medal tallys. 2016 we blew everyone out across the board. Like - absolutely destroyed the competition.

If these generations are so soft then why did we historically dominate just 5 years ago? (We spanked more ass in Rio in 2016 than in LA in 1996).

I actually think the time zone plays a fairly large role - as does home field advantage. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2