Olympics, better late than never

Michael Knight

i saw that, is that legal? 

Not sure about the Olympics but in NCAA:

ARTICLE 2� The referee, after consulting with the appropriate officials, shall disqualify a competitor who:
a� Advances or trails a leg or foot outside the hurdle width and below the top
horizontal plane or plane extended of the hurdle;
b� Does not hurdle each hurdle within the competitor’s lane;
c� Deliberately knocks down any hurdle; or
d� Deliberately knocks down any hurdle by hand�

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

In general, it is only a DQ if it impedes the runner in that next lane.

A good example is the infamous 1988 Olympic 100m duel between Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis.  Johnson ended up getting DQ'd for steroids and Lewis was given the gold. In the race, Lewis took 3+ full steps in Johnson's lane.  Technically, illegal but since Johnson was well ahead, he did not imped the runner so it wasn't a DQ.

• Like 1

Yep and it's a good rule. If you go out of your lane on a straight part of the track without affecting someone else then all you've done is make yourself run a longer distance. 
Moving into an inside lane on a curve is a different matter. 

Legal Running in Lanes
ARTICLE 1
� In all races started in lanes, competitors shall keep within their assigned lanes from start to finish, or for the in-lane portion
� However, without material advantage gained and no other runner being obstructed, a competitor may run outside his or her assigned lane in the straightaway or outside the outer line of the lane on a curve.

Not sure about the Olympics but in NCAA:

ARTICLE 2� The referee, after consulting with the appropriate officials, shall disqualify a competitor who:
a� Advances or trails a leg or foot outside the hurdle width and below the top
horizontal plane or plane extended of the hurdle;
b� Does not hurdle each hurdle within the competitor’s lane;
c� Deliberately knocks down any hurdle; or
d� Deliberately knocks down any hurdle by hand�

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok. In A above it couldn’t happen unless it was where the hurdles are staggered or you were in a lane that didn’t have a hurdle on each side of you. It’s saying you have to go completely over the hurdle.

In C an D it would seem like if you accidentally knocked down or dislocated the hurdle of a competitor there would be repercussions. But maybe not.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Just saw the 400m hurdle race on YouTube. What a letdown, everyone was making it sound like some epic neck & neck race. It wasn’t even that close, no one had a major comeback, nothing. 

Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Just saw the 400m hurdle race on YouTube. What a letdown, everyone was making it sound like some epic neck & neck race. It wasn’t even that close, no one had a major comeback, nothing. 

That usually happens when the guy running is the WR holder and he sets a new WR. 

GIF by Schitt's Creek

On 8/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, ztejas said:

Georgia Ellenwood (CAN) >

20210802_154955.thumb.jpg.0fed36590d79ba418910d2a640e4ef3b.jpg20210802_154903.thumb.jpg.53d1bdea22f9fa16df2acf144ea75d73.jpg20210802_154849.thumb.jpg.c59b8776add3624f9b213fbf7d56506d.jpg

she's a pent or heptathlete - can't remember which

I seen her.  Just finished middle of the pack in her heat in the 110 m hurdles on USA.

Also some Cuban pulled up lame and is done halfway through event 1 of 7.

48 minutes ago, WBT said:

Damn, a Canadian decathlete just ran a 10.12 in the 100

Damian Warner is his name.  His 100 time tied the WR for the decathlon and his 1st jump would have won bronze in the open long jump.  Not a bad start.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sometimes Helo tries a little too hard to troll. 

Guys he still thinks we aren’t going to the SEC probably…..   Don’t be shocked when he’s wrong about things.  

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What a brutal race that is. They all looked like they wanted to die after the finish. 

The 400 was my speciality in high school.  I hated it.  I wanted to die after every race. 

Now, add fucking hurdles.