College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Or Gata.  Gata has a better shot, by virtue of going to the SEC champ game.

Aggy ain't even gonna win their division. 

Gata has to beat Bama to get in.  Aggy just has to beat LSU, Auburn and Tennessee.  Hopefully, once Bama clinches a spot in the SECCG, they make Aggy reschedule/play Ole Miss on Dec 19.  I think that's a game they could lose.

If Aggy gets in at #4 over an undefeated PAC team or Cincy to play a team they already lost to by 28, the conference system should just get blown up because it's a total joke. And yeah, I know pac isn't playing many games, but why include a team that's proven to not be on the same level as Bama when there's an undefeated P5 team with no cross-conference comparisons to judge

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Wish Cincinnati and BYU could throw something together real quick.

Me too.  Cincy needs that kind of resume game to be considered for the 4th spot if things go haywire with Bama/UF/Clemson/ND. 

I'm assuming Ohio State just waltzes in - Illinois (lol), Michigan State (LOL!!!), Michigan (LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL)

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

If Aggy gets in at #4 over an undefeated PAC team or Cincy to play a team they already lost to by 28, the conference system should just get blown up because it's a total joke. And yeah, I know pac isn't playing many games, but why include a team that's proven to not be on the same level as Bama when there's an undefeated P5 team with no cross-conference comparisons to judge

I agree, but Oregon at #15 has a loooong way to go.  Cincy maybe, but I'll believe they put a G5 school in when I see it.  Let's just hope Aggy loses another.

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

I agree, but Oregon at #15 has a loooong way to go.  Cincy maybe, but I'll believe they put a G5 school in when I see it.  Let's just hope Aggy loses another.

As crazy as it sounds, USC is also undefeated and might have their toughest games ASU and Utah) behind them. They'll be favored by double digits in all their games until the CCG.

Oregon still has UW but can't imagine them falling to Or St or Cal

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm not sure why you'd put this on "the conference system."  The problem in your hypothetical, would be the CFP Committee.  And we already know they're a total joke, they always have been, and always will be.  

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'm not sure why you'd put this on "the conference system."  The problem in your hypothetical, would be the CFP Committee.  And we already know they're a total joke, they always have been, and always will be.  

My point was just that conferences are worthless in that case and the system in general is a joke. Not assigning blame to anyone.

In my opinion, conferences should essentially be part of the playoff, like the play-in round robins at a World Cup. If you can't win your own conference (or at least make the CCG), you should stfu about making the 4 team playoff. Even in normal years, there's just not enough cross-conference play to determine if a top SEC team is better than a top ACC team, etc.

For example, hypothetically, a 2 loss PAC-12 team could be better than a 0-loss Big 10 team if the other teams in the PAC-12 are just better than the rest of the Big 10. But in the current system the PAC-12 would get locked out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

My point was just that conferences are worthless in that case and the system in general is a joke. Not assigning blame to anyone.

In my opinion, conferences should essentially be part of the playoff, like the play-in round robins at a World Cup. If you can't win your own conference (or at least make the CCG), you should stfu about making the 4 team playoff. Even in normal years, there's just not enough cross-conference play to determine if a top SEC team is better than a top ACC team, etc.

For example, hypothetically, a 2 loss PAC-12 team could be better than a 0-loss Big 10 team if the other teams in the PAC-12 are just better than the rest of the Big 10. But in the current system the PAC-12 would get locked out.

I disagree with your first sentence highlighted above, because as it stands there are more conferences than playoff spots.  An 8=team playoff with auto-bids for the P5 champs would take care of the problem partially, but not entirely, because your second sentence highlighted above isn't about the conferences themselves-- it's about the CFP and its Selection Committee.  As long as the Selection Committee has the capability to choose at-large teams, then all sorts of manipulation and fuckery are still possible.

Again, your problem isn't with the conferences.  They fashion their season as they like, and they produce a "champion" in whatever manner they deem appropriate.  I'm completely fine with conferences having the autonomy to continue doing so.  The problem is with the Selection Committee.  If you don't want to see the fuckery, then you should be pushing for a change to the way they make their selections. 

Would be nice if the schools that started the season much earlier and managed to get in 6 or so games (and are undefeated) had a shot to play. But we have no legit CFP in my opinion. There will be a ton more games canceled if they can even get to a CFP. Which is seeming less likely. This sucks. 

This season was always going to have an asterisk by it because of this. I miss real college ball but I’ve pairs very little attention to this season and don’t feel like I’m missing anything at all.
  • Hook 'Em 2

This season was always going to have an asterisk by it because of this. I miss real college ball but I’ve pairs very little attention to this season and don’t feel like I’m missing anything at all.
Lighten up, Francis. There is plenty of good college football being played. Clemson/Notre Dame, Ohio State/Indiana, TX/OU (fuck TH) and plenty of other really entertaining games. Hell, last weeks Tulsa vs Tulane game was fun as hell to watch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Since I love college football, and not just the artificially over-produced race for ESPN's beauty pageant playoff, I've still enjoyed plenty of college games this season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They should make that permanent. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Seriously, the weather in NYC right after Christmas is terrible!  The previous attempt at a bowl in NYC was caviled after two games--one in 14 degree weatge.

Some wild shit on the bowl's wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_Bowl

Edited by J.R. Juniors Junior Jr.

9 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Seriously, the weather in NYC right after Christmas is terrible!  The previous attempt at a bowl in NYC was cancelled after two games--one in 14 degree weatge.

Some wild shit on the bowl's wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_Bowl

Well, I sure hope I don't JINX!!! the Buckeyes, but it's Friday so here's the weekly stat:

We should wake up Sunday with 207 out of 238 match-ups between Power 5 teams having been played on schedule 

That's 87.0 percent and trending UP again.

Edited by Bartles
Buckeye bailout; UVA-FSU

4 hours ago, Bartles said:

Well, I sure hope I don't JINX!!! the Buckeyes, but it's Friday so here's the weekly stat:

We should wake up Sunday with 209 out of 238 match-ups between Power 5 teams having been played on schedule 

That's 87.8 percent and trending UP again. Assuming Ohio State's COVID Express lands safely in Champaign, and as usual we can expect some Pac-12 team to bury itself in a mass grave after seeing one player hand another a tissue after practice

That's one badass "JINX!!!" right there I tell you what. 

• Like 1