College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

I keep wondering if hospital capacity is going to come into play at some point. Lincoln is starting to get overrun now, and I would think you would have a hard time hosting a game if there was no local capacity available as a precaution. It was talked about this summer that NASCAR need assurances of available spots to run their summer race at Texas.

15 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I keep wondering if hospital capacity is going to come into play at some point. Lincoln is starting to get overrun now, and I would think you would have a hard time hosting a game if there was no local capacity available as a precaution. It was talked about this summer that NASCAR need assurances of available spots to run their summer race at Texas.

Nationwide, hospitalizations have doubled since September and we're very quickly hitting peak hospitalization rate we had in the spring. (Source: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/10/933253317/covid-19-hospitalizations-are-surging-where-are-hospitals-reaching-capacity

It's gonna be a long, long winter with a lot of deaths. 

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

College football and the United States of America, obviously.

But sure, let's only blame the SEC and no one else.  No shared responsibility in this. Federal response? NCAA? The P5 as a group?

Nah. 

If it were up to you, we wouldn’t have had any games or a any kind of season. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, Parliament said:

So what's the fewest number of games Ohio State can play, and still get into the playoff? Ie, will a 5-0 team get in? 4-0?

Everybody knows OSU is a top 4 team, and likely top 2 team. They'll figure out a way to get them in even if OSU doesn't play another game from here out. 

9 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Everybody knows OSU is a top 4 team, and likely top 2 team. They'll figure out a way to get them in even if OSU doesn't play another game from here out. 

All the committee has to do is say they're in because we say so.

20 hours ago, mdmost said:

According to the Big Ten, "a team must play at least six games to be considered for participation in the championship game. However, if the average number of conference games played by all teams falls below six, with the average rounded up/down at .50 (i.e. 6.50 or greater would round up to 7, 6.49 or less would round down to 6), then teams must play no less than two fewer conference games than the average number of conference games played by all teams (i.e. four games played if the conference average is six)to be considered."

So, has nothing to do with "the majority of the rest" play 6 or not. It's the average number played. Might be correlated somewhat, but different. Even that's confusing, because it says "if the average ... falls below 6", but then uses 6.50 and 6.49 as examples.

Who here thinks that, if an undefeated OSU is only looking to get 5 games played, that a number of other games just "might happen to get cancelled out of concern for student-athlete well-being", so that the average number can get to 7.49 or lower?

Edited by SurlyORama

13 minutes ago, SurlyORama said:

Who here thinks that, if an undefeated OSU is only looking to get 5 games played, that a number of other games just "might happen to get cancelled out of concern for student-athlete well-being", so that the average number can get to 7.49 or lower?

no, I think the Big Ten has been itching to give Indiana the benefit of the doubt and put them over

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

No doubt.  Indiana in the B1G CCG would be a boon to ratings, and should they win, the CFP would eat that up, too.

I've heard a lot of crazy conspiracy theories about COVID, but the CFP and ESPN manufacturing the whole thing to engineer an Indiana-Texas A&M national championship game.... that's not crazy, that's just the way it is, bro.

Joel Klatt was saying on the Ticket yesterday that what we're seeing is a lot of cancellations due to the contact tracing required after positive cases. It's working it's way through the Big 10 and SEC right now. The Big 12 will be next though, according to him. Any game we get right now is a gift. But seriously, time to do away with fans at the game. Notre Dame showed why it should be over. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/10/2020 at 3:44 PM, Js1 said:

College football and the United States of America, obviously.

But sure, let's only blame the SEC and no one else.  No shared responsibility in this. Federal response? NCAA? The P5 as a group?

Nah. 

We are getting a vaccine by the end of the month. Lighten the fuck up Francis. We have one month to go before the worst of this ends. Those that want to get the vaccine to the head of the line and can live life normally; those that don't - fuck off, stay home and don't complain.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

We are getting a vaccine by the end of the month. Lighten the fuck up Francis. We have one month to go before the worst of this ends. Those that want to get the vaccine to the head of the line and can live life normally; those that don't - fuck off, stay home and don't complain.

LOL end of the month for the general public?  Sure Jan. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Lulz

• Hook 'Em 2

Please please please show Surly your paystub proving you are a nurse. Or are you going to make a bet, and if you lose, fist yourself? The internets are serious business!

18 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Somehow, against all odds, you're giving Macklemore a bad name.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

LOL end of the month for the general public?  Sure Jan. 

If Pfizer receives authorization for its vaccine from the Food and Drug Administration in the coming weeks, as expected, the company in theory could vaccinate millions of Americans by the end of the year, taking advantage of months of planning and decades of experience.

“I am very confident. I live and breathe this,” Tanya Alcorn, a Pfizer executive overseeing the supply chain for the vaccine, said in an interview on Wednesday. “We have developed a system that does not waste any precious vaccine.”

42 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Joel Klatt was saying on the Ticket yesterday that what we're seeing is a lot of cancellations due to the contact tracing required after positive cases. It's working it's way through the Big 10 and SEC right now. The Big 12 will be next though, according to him. Any game we get right now is a gift. But seriously, time to do away with fans at the game. Notre Dame showed why it should be over. 

Eh, our entitled wine and cheese fans aren't going to rush the field.  What do you think this is, November 10, 1990???

5 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

If Pfizer receives authorization for its vaccine from the Food and Drug Administration in the coming weeks, as expected, the company in theory could vaccinate millions of Americans by the end of the year, taking advantage of months of planning and decades of experience.

“I am very confident. I live and breathe this,” Tanya Alcorn, a Pfizer executive overseeing the supply chain for the vaccine, said in an interview on Wednesday. “We have developed a system that does not waste any precious vaccine.”

A. The end of the month isn't the end of the year.

B. That article lists multiple challenges standing in the way of all of us returning to normalcy in the next few months.

C. You seem have a lot more faith in the public and private sector being able to roll this out without major hiccups than I do.  Especially since it has never been done before.

• Hook 'Em 1

The fact that the vaccine has to be stored at such a low temperature that all parts of the supply chain will have to be upgraded means that estimates of delivery schedule are all way too optimistic. When Fauci says maybe we start seeing general public vaccines by April that sounds more reasonable. The maybe part I mean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Man, why do we have to wait until the end of the month?  The whole thing just vanished on November 4, didn't it?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, nnm said:

Man, why do we have to wait until the end of the month?  The whole thing just vanished on November 4, didn't it?

I said the worst of this will be over soon. With the vaccine coming out and with just a few weeks remaining in the season, we came out just fine in the end, when it comes to football, and have been able to have a season proving guys like Js1 wrong.

Edited by Macklemore

33 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

A. The end of the month isn't the end of the year.

B. That article lists multiple challenges standing in the way of all of us returning to normalcy in the next few months.

C. You seem have a lot more faith in the public and private sector being able to roll this out without major hiccups than I do.  Especially since it has never been done before.

It's 2020, you can't prove that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your alpha male toughness is only rivaled by your scientific literacy.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2