College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Was that that shitty-ass game in the rain?  I distinctly recall listening to this game with a few of my friends at an apartment off Riverside.  I kept thinking, "Ok.  This is the point at which Texas will run off like 3 TDs in 2 mins."  Never happened.  

Yes, it was the shitty ass game in the rain. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:41 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Was that that shitty-ass game in the rain?  I distinctly recall listening to this game with a few of my friends at an apartment off Riverside.  I kept thinking, "Ok.  This is the point at which Texas will run off like 3 TDs in 2 mins."  Never happened.  

I watched it with friends at an apartment off Riverside. I don’t remember anything about my thought process except being stunned after the game. And I had bought 50 Three Mile Island wings from Hooters for the game and had to take a dump. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That game against Rice was behind being ‘in the rain’, it was a fucking monsoon, especially in the 2nd half. There were times it was hard to see the other side of the field from where we were sitting.

Rice had some talent back in those days, at least compared to previous Rice teams. ND Kanu and Izzo played in the NFL and Yoncy Edmonds was a pretty solid running back. Bert Emmanuel was their QB the year before. They played in College Station the next week and lost 7-0.

But there’s no way in hell we should have lost that game. Pinckney and Adams (and I think 4-5 players) got suspended the day of the game and I remember there being stories of altercations between players on the bus ride to the stadium about whether it was bullshit that they were suspended. After being the hero against OU the week before, JB didn’t play a single down, on a night where we were dying for a mobile QB...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

That game against Rice was behind being ‘in the rain’, it was a fucking monsoon, especially in the 2nd half. There were times it was hard to see the other side of the field from where we were sitting.

Rice had some talent back in those days, at least compared to previous Rice teams. ND Kanu and Izzo played in the NFL and Yoncy Edmonds was a pretty solid running back. Bert Emmanuel was their QB the year before. They played in College Station the next week and lost 7-0.

But there’s no way in hell we should have lost that game. Pinckney and Adams (and I think 4-5 players) got suspended the day of the game and I remember there being stories of altercations between players on the bus ride to the stadium about whether it was bullshit that they were suspended. After being the hero against OU the week before, JB didn’t play a single down, on a night where we were dying for a mobile QB...

Wow.  I don't recall that.  Of course, that would be before 9.95.  Explains a lot.

I was 17 and living in lake Conroe. My dad let me go to that game by myself. His only advice- bring a trash bag to wear (bc we didn’t have a poncho). Coming home I ran into a river flowing across the highway and was pushed 6 lanes over from the extreme right lane of the highway heading westbound to the extreme right lane heading eastbound. Thankfully I was the only idiot on the road. 
School got cancelled for us like 3 days by the flooding. But I went by myself and saw that suckass loss. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

On 11/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, gyroprotagonist said:

how many games did Pinckney get suspended overall.  I remember when he and I think Adams crashed into a building on the drag.  csb and all that.

From that day:

Starting wide receivers Lovell Pinkney and Mike Adams were both suspended for the second time this season, while wide receiver Wayne McGarity, linebackers Jonathan Hickerson and Dwight Kirkpatrick, running back Darrell Wilson and defensive back Shunte Hall earned their first suspensions. The seven players will not play in ninth-rated Texas' Sunday night game against Rice. Mackovic will rule later on when the players will be reinstated.

Thought Wane (lulz, AP got it wrong above) was still at RB that year but I guess not. I think Pinckney was suspended the first game at Pittsburgh for agent contact or some shit like that.

Thought Adams was solo when he ‘fell asleep’ and drove into Electric Eye next to the Hole In Wall, but could be wrong...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lol.  Somewhere in my garage are a few VHS tapes on early 2000 recruiting vids.  I know one was VY's class.

I had a friend that would always buy those videos.

I remember three players total on several year's of tapes that looked like can't miss prospects.....

Vince

Ricky 

And maybe the most impressive...Derrick Johnson

• Hook 'Em 1

I was wrong about football being played this year.
But now I firmly believe it won’t finish.
Maybe I’ll be wrong twice.

Define finish? The SEC and Big 12 will slog forward and crown champions at this point even if a bunch of games end up cancelled. Those two have always prioritized playing though.

All crowds need to be axed, now! The numbers say 1/4 full but it looks crowded as fuck on tv and they’re al wearing their masks on their  chin yelling loudly with their Covid breath for 3+ hours. There is zero reason right now why fans need to be in the stands. The athletes seem to be doing okay overall and have access to all sorts of safety protocols. The mouth breathing fans aren’t doing their jobs and rona is taking over the country again.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I hate people, but I'm shocked how little I care about sports without people in the stands. It's not the same.

Really? You care more about the fans in the stands than the game on the field? That's just sad. 

I want to see the game played. I don't know what the future holds but I'd much rather watch the game than the crowd. Screw the crowd. Give me the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I hate people, but I'm shocked how little I care about sports without people in the stands. It's not the same.

953337479ba89c78d6d1bb5536415b37.gif

I don't care about that per se, but stop the fake crowd piping.  It sucks, awful, and makes all of this contrived bullshit.  I think it would be cool to broadcast the real sounds.  We're not sheep who "need excitement" pumped into the audio.  Never mind that half the time it's completely unrelated to what's actually happening on the field.  They still do it even with sparse crowd attendance in both levels of football.

And the "cutouts" in the seats?  Please - like that adds to anything?  It's stupid and short of little junior wanting one, any adult that actually pays for that needs a lobotomy.

Keep. It. Real.

• Like 1

That state is a fucking shitshow right now.  The whole state is demonstrating the worst behaviors of the worst pockets of our state. I like how it's been postponed to Dec. 12th.  The Jayhawks look over at Tom and be like, "Hey, we both know neither of our teams are gonna be in the conference title game."  

Poor Tom, was likely his last win as a UT football coach:

Edited by Lobo