College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Aggy totally covered up positives so they could play with a full team these past two weeks. Which aggy will step on their dick first and go public with it?

I'm sure there is no correlation between these outbreaks and how the general population of the cities where those teams are view the seriousness of covid. 

• Like 2

No football for Oklahoma this week. OU on bye. OSU cancelled because of the Branch Covidians in Waco. TU cancelled because of the Covid Cats from Cincy. What a shitty week. I wish we could have just moved Bedlam up to this weekend since neither of us are playing.

11 minutes ago, 'stache said:

No football for Oklahoma this week. OU on bye. OSU cancelled because of the Branch Covidians in Waco. TU cancelled because of the Covid Cats from Cincy. What a shitty week. I wish we could have just moved Bedlam up to this weekend since neither of us are playing.

Yeah, we're getting pretty close to shutting this whole thing down. 

Hadn't heard about Cincy having an issue with it. Maybe they'll miss some starters next weekend and SMU can button up a heavily asterisked conference title.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yeah, we're getting pretty close to shutting this whole thing down. 

Hadn't heard about Cincy having an issue with it. Maybe they'll miss some starters next weekend and SMU can button up a heavily asterisked conference title.

Nope. 

This was a bad week, but it looks like it will end with 93 percent of power-5 matchups being played on schedule (71 out of 76).

That's nowhere near shutting everything down. I agree we'll have a point soon where some games are just canceled, maybe even having a minor effect on conference championships or even CFP selections. It will be sad but funny if for example the SEC decides to scrap LSU-Florida because they need to play Georgia-Florida on Dec. 12 instead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure how you figure that. We can't just keep rescheduling into January. I'd be amazed at this point if every B12 team gets 10 games in.

That's the metric now? I thought it was that lots of people involved in CFB were going to die because we're having a season.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

They should just agree now to a post season in february or march. It's stupid to think there won't be more "postponements" and they have like a week scheduled for all of these makeup games. Agree now that there will be a month or more for "makeup" games before the postseason. There is zero possibility that the PAC and BIG will make it through in their tight window.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Not sure how you figure that. We can't just keep rescheduling into January. I'd be amazed at this point if every B12 team gets 10 games in.

If Texas has a game canceled because they have a outbreak it will be the next one.  Combo of bye week and not giving a shit anymore, they will party it up this weekend.

20 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

If Texas has a game canceled because they have a outbreak it will be the next one.  Combo of bye week and not giving a shit anymore, they will party it up this weekend.

Well, compounding the issue is that you only need one team to have an outbreak or "unacceptable" number of cases. Texas could test squeaky clean and still have games cancelled. 

They should just agree now to a post season in february or march. It's stupid to think there won't be more "postponements" and they have like a week scheduled for all of these makeup games. Agree now that there will be a month or more for "makeup" games before the postseason. There is zero possibility that the PAC and BIG will make it through in their tight window.

Why cater to them? Combined they have one true contender in Ohio st.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well we are fucked when they come back, I heard on the xm they are experimenting with 9am kickoffs for the first time this year instead of late games.  Fuck that!!

Yeah heard that as well. On the one hand, those earlier games plus no games on the Pac12 Network show at least some self awareness by the conference that they need more eyeballs nationally on their games. On the other hand, I selfishly like those night games plus I would think those early games will be especially jarring for the players. How early they gonna have to get up and get there for those games? As a fan, though I have gotten somewhat used to it and resigned myself to the time slot, I always feel extra sluggish and a little out of it when we first roll into the Cotton Bowl each year for Texas-OU (and we’re getting there around 9:00am...when these games would already be kicking off locally).

13 hours ago, Newy25 said:

You predicted there would not be a football season. 

yeah I don't really understand how "we have to cancel a game/a couple of games/half the games because some players tested positive for COVID" is somehow worse than "let's just cancel the whole season without even trying to play"

actually I understand it perfectly given who its coming from

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Glad to see the Covid test kit results at Baylor take just a week. 

Meantime, the Rape test kit results at Baylor still take a decade.