College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

44 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

IMO - if they go ZERO fans and all on T.V., nothing will happen. So far and as of this post, Texas HS 4A and down, will start this coming week.

If this is to believed, HS football decisions are perfectly correlated with state red vs blue politics.  Complete with a swing state like Wisconsin being indecisive.

https://www.mlive.com/highschoolsports/2020/08/no-in-michigan-yes-in-ohio-what-states-are-doing-for-fall-high-school-football.html?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Lol at you and your fucking “end is nigh” cohorts you fucking rube. 

found him on Twitter???  Perhaps found him at the fucking Mayo Clinic you unhinged bitches. 

https://www.mayo.edu/research/faculty/ackerman-michael-j-m-d-ph-d/bio-00078045

At least you have a long list of people to blame when the season gets canceled.

found him on Twitter???  Perhaps found him at the fucking Mayo Clinic you unhinged bitches. 

Nobody should take a hospital named after a condiment seriously.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

I like how when Herpa objected to Newy's post, and asked for sources that would back up his narrative, Newy immediately cited his own comments in the same f'n post that Herpa disagreed with.   Newy must have massive tits and a tight ass to get through life arguing like that. 

Again, you also failed to read the post. I did not even begin the argument of citing sources since Herpa failed to even read and comprehend what I even said in the first place. And I did not “cite my own comments” as a source. I simply said, hey fucking read what I wrote before you lose your mind first. 

24 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

No man. We found this guy on twitter. Didn’t you hear? The Texas administration wanted to get medical advice and we did a google search instead of accessing the vast resources at our disposal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, mdleast said:

I continue to be amazed/depressed at the scourge of people who actually think that Stewart Mandel and other sports writers are actually rooting against football being played this fall. There’s a difference between critical thinking/reporting vs actually being “against” something folks. It seems like everyone has suddenly become exponentially more pissy if the news/reporting being delivered to them (whether sports, political or otherwise) is not couched in exactly the terms and tone that they want to conform to their already current views and beliefs.

In other words, we are getting increasingly dumber as a society.

Mandel posted a blatant lie about the medical advice Texas sought out. It’s being pissy to call him out for being a shit journalist? 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Football players hanging out at parties and bars would be my guess, as opposed to outdoors, where it’s much safer and under the watchful eye of coaches and medical staff.

Yeah if there's no football practice it will free them up to hit Dirty 6th and campus parties at 1pm on a Wednesday! Cats and dogs living together!

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Mandel posted a blatant lie about the medical advice Texas sought out. It’s being pissy to call him out for being a shit journalist? 

No, he didn't. It was sourced in the New York Times. Ackerman got involved in the discussion via Twitter. That's how the Big 12 became aware of his position.

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

No, he didn't. It was sourced in the New York Times. Ackerman got involved in the discussion via Twitter. That's how the Big 12 became aware of his position.

The title of his tweet implied the Big 12 used twitter to gather medical information on if it’s safe to play. That’s patently false and irresponsible for a journalist to post. 

Mandel has been an unapologetic Big 10 homer his entire career. He knows the Big 10 is turbo fucked if the Big 12, ACC and SEC pull off football this fall. His entire narrative has been and is going to continue to be painted as such. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Not true.  He’s worked with Big XII athletes for years, including Isaiah Austin and King McLure from Baylor with their heart conditions.  He’s been around the conference for a while.  They didn’t find him on Twitter you fucking troglodyte. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The title of his tweet implied the Big 12 used twitter to gather medical information on if it’s safe to play. That’s patently false and irresponsible for a journalist to post. 

Mandel has been an unapologetic Big 10 homer his entire career. He knows the Big 10 is turbo fucked if the Big 12, ACC and SEC pull off football this fall. His entire narrative has been and is going to continue to be painted as such. 

The point is, Ackerman got involved via Twitter. The Big 12 did not contact the Mayo Clinic for his opinion on the matter.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m sure the coaches are letting them get away with it in the evening now, right?

Not being confrontational here but have you been on campus or on 6th street in the last 25 years? They party whether or not they're playing football. I'm not advocating one way or another for playing football, I'm sort of on the fence about it. But the "they'll be safer playing than not!" argument is silly.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Not true.  He’s worked with Big XII athletes for years, including Isaiah Austin and King McLure from Baylor with their heart conditions.  He’s been around the conference for a while.  They didn’t find him on Twitter you fucking troglodyte. 

That must be why he couldn't recall who contacted him from the conference.

Really good point, guy.

3 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That must be why he couldn't recall who contacted him from the conference.

Really good point, guy.

“But it was sourced by the New York Times!!”  

as though they’re not in complete spin and damage control to make it look like their state and surrounding area was an abject failure at the start of this shit.  They are doing everything they can to shame, mock, and condemn anyone trying to move forward with life.  

Really good point, guy 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Not being confrontational here but have you been on campus or on 6th street in the last 25 years? They party whether or not they're playing football. I'm not advocating one way or another for playing football, I'm sort of on the fence about it. But the "they'll be safer playing than not!" argument is silly.

I’m old... The issue I have is that, IMO, it’s already been proven that when left to their own choices they get sick more. Look how many showed up to camp with the virus  compared to those testing positive since. I think this pattern has been common across college football.

Edited by Casual Encounter
I don’t think we’ll get a full season no matter what.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m old... The issue I have is that, IMO, it’s already been proven that when left to their own choices they get sick more. Look how many showed up to camp with the virus  compared to those testing positive since. I think this pattern has been common across college football.

We'll see. I'm willing to accept that it's possible that football won't increase risk, I suppose. But it's not because they're not out socializing. It's likely a combo of a lot of them having already caught it, and less risk in general, since Austin's spread is way, way down on the whole (which is great).

Edited by BradInATX

3 hours ago, Newy25 said:

I specifically cited who wants this college football season being played in the fall to fail. Like, literally right before the highlighted sentence. So before you say someone does not have a clue what they are talking about, you should at least read and fully comprehend what they are saying. 

this is what you wrote in post 7399:

Spoiler

I found the same thing when I dug into the story. Twitter is about the worst possible place for someone to become educated on the facts. But keep this in mind, there are a lot of people who want to see this all fail. They want the universities to have to close, they want college football to be cancelled. Their narrative will be to sensationalize anything they can to influence perception. The Big 10 and PAC 12 are going to be out in force using their media connections to deflect criticism from themselves. If the Big 12 has a successful season, it’s the end of their conference as they know it.

There is a lot of money betting on the SEC, Big 12 and ACC to fail. Remember that lens will exist in media as we watch coverage like this going forward. 

You specifically cited who in post 7399?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

“But it was sourced by the New York Times!!”  

as though they’re not in complete spin and damage control to make it look like their state and surrounding area was an abject failure at the start of this shit.  They are doing everything they can to shame, mock, and condemn anyone trying to move forward with life.  

Really good point, guy.

We would have also accepted "fake news" and/or "George Soros."

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

I like how when Herpa objected to Newy's post, and asked for sources that would back up his narrative, Newy immediately cited his own comments in the same f'n post that Herpa disagreed with.   Newy must have massive tits and a tight ass to get through life arguing like that. 

This is a psychological phenomenon that i've been trying to find a description of or name for.  Examples of this behavior include:

party x does something to party y that party x knows is inequitable, bad karma, a shenanigan, etc.  party x then accuses party y of doing the same thing, whatever it is, regardless of any evidence that party y did any such thing.

this is another example of this behavior, where herpa calls out newy for a clearly documented shenanigan, and newy says he wrote something he clearly didn't write, for what appears to be no other reason then simply being able to say he's correct.

going further would be political so i'll stop there.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mdleast said:

I continue to be amazed/depressed at the scourge of people who actually think that Stewart Mandel and other sports writers are actually rooting against football being played this fall. There’s a difference between critical thinking/reporting vs actually being “against” something folks. It seems like everyone has suddenly become exponentially more pissy if the news/reporting being delivered to them (whether sports, political or otherwise) is not couched in exactly the terms and tone that they want to conform to their already current views and beliefs.

In other words, we are getting increasingly dumber as a society.

Reality is challenging the programmatically hard-coded belief systems of ~37% of US citizens. In COBOL (mainframe programming language) the result is called an ABEND, or an abnormal ending.  The cognitive dissonance is so severe, logic processing circuitry malfunctions and spits out a "core dump".  This sometimes results in Incipient Diarrhea of the Mouth.

• Hook 'Em 1

The point is, Ackerman got involved via Twitter. The Big 12 did not contact the Mayo Clinic for his opinion on the matter.

Don’t let that distract you from the fact that outright cancelling a season vs delaying it 3 weeks like everybody else was a stupid call that was never voted upon by anyone.

And the commissioners son is slated to play at Mississippi St. but it’s far too dangerous in B1G country.
  • Hook 'Em 4

If some states/teams/conferences/players want to play, please respect their decision.

If some states/teams/conferences/players don't want to play, please respect their decision.

Same thing for fans that want to attend/don't want to attend, please respect their decision.

Ultimately, everyone will have to live with the consequences of their own choices.

"You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.   If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.  You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill.  I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill."

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

If some states/teams/conferences/players want to play, please respect their decision.

If some states/teams/conferences/players don't want to play, please respect their decision.

Same thing for fans that want to attend/don't want to attend, please respect their decision.

Ultimately, everyone will have to live with the consequences of their own choices.

"You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.   If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.  You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill.  I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill."

Oh that's deeeeeeep.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

IMG_9322_rev.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hurtlocker said:

it_s_happening.gif?cb=1460054634

(Minus the Big Ten and Pac 12, of course)

((Also assuming there are any players left by then))

(((Also assuming no meteor impacts or other world destroying events so akin to 2020)))

So when we win this shindig is atm going to throw a fit when we put it on the wall?

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Ndsu, despite saying they wouldn’t play like 2 weeks ago, out here adding games meanwhile the B1G sits with their thumbs up their asses, thumbs up their asses

Didn’t they add one exhibition game?

21 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I happened to drive past Wall High School, outside San Angelo, Friday morning, and the whole football team was out on the field in full pads.  Good to see.

Hell the wind blows 😭 so hard out there the rona doesn't stand a chance of sticking to anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

I so want this season to finish and a playoff to happen so the Big 10 and Pac 12 look like a bunch of chumps.

I want it to happen bc it means we didn’t have a second flare up.  But that’s a nice bonus.  Especially living in B1G headquarters...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1