College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

21 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wait, I’d take that bet too.  Taking that bet and matter of factly acting like the risk is zero are two different things.  People posted it was laughable to think a college athlete could die  

Are you the type of doc who believes aliens are raping the masses?  Because those are out there too... 

Seeing how the 0.12% of reported deaths are under 25 years of age, yes it's not 0, just statistically close to it. And since you love to call yourself doc, i presume you're a chiropractor or something similar. The doctor you love to disparage, actually was spot on on her assessment of HCQ. It works and Fauci knows it works, it said so in 2005 in print in the Virology Journal

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

57 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

That’s a bit much. I (and I’ll venture to say most people) don’t watch to see people die. 

I will say that “acceptable losses” are for the military. That’s a good thing and a lot of good Americans died making it that way.  

You just didn’t answer the question so I can ask again. 
you said- not one death is acceptable due to playing football- not one. That was your standard as it relates to football safety in the time of Covid. 
I pointed out, rightly, that something like 10-15 people die, every year, playing football. 
So, if your proposition for body count is an activity is only ok if it’s 0 dead, why do you still watch football when it kills. 
you aren’t being logically consistent. You are being being emotional but you are wrapping it up in some grand principal, but that grand principal is not

logically consistent with reality. 

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

schools/conferences aren't scared of football leading to a bunch of fb players dropping dead.  they're worried that having fb players on campus while regular students are remote will open a giant can of worms in regards to their amateurism.

Yep.  They organize and the fat cats milking them are fucked.  Simple 

1 minute ago, alphahorn said:

Seeing how the 0.12% of reported deaths are under 25 years of age, yes it's not 0, just statistically close to it. And since you love to call yourself doc, i presume you're a chiropractor or something similar. The doctor you love to disparage, actually was spot on on her assessment of HCQ. It works and Fauci knows it works, it said so in 2005 in print in the Virology Journal

Lol.  You’re calling me out?  That’s cute.  See all my posts with actual links and data are on here.  Where are yours?  
But I’m sure you have a lot of cred around here.  Seriously...  Who the fuck are you?  I see you repping far right posts all over the place.  I play by the facts.  It’s called science.  Enjoy Med school, dumbfuck.  

On 8/12/2020 at 9:21 PM, Pig Bellmont said:

So what’s going to happen with eligibility? Can players opt out? What happens if the league shuts down the season half way through?

Who is going to enforce the health protocols? What happens if say Oklahoma doesn’t report a positive test for a key player to let them play the RRS? If two or more teams have to quarantine after an outbreak, isn’t the season fucked?

I don’t think any conference or the NCAA has answered any of these questions. I think my frustration is that I think it’s inevitable multiple players on a team will test positive and because of practice, the whole team will have been exposed during the same week. You can’t just bench 7 guys and have everyone else play.  So an entire team will need to be shut down for at least two weeks. 

Unlike baseball, there aren’t double headers to make up the games. I just don’t see how the season won’t get shut down. I mean look at what happened at Notre Dame and UNC. Classes start at UT next week- I’d be shocked if we don’t see a huge spike on campus before football is supposed to start. 

Yet everyone in this thread is whistling past the graveyard and showing their callousness with posts that basically say “who cares if these kids die from the spread of a disease that was totally preventable?” Cool thread guys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  You’re calling me out?  That’s cute.  See all my posts with actual links and data are on here.  Where are yours?  
But I’m sure you have a lot of cred around here.  Seriously...  Who the fuck are you?  I see you repping far right posts all over the place.  I play by the facts.  It’s called science.  Enjoy Med school, dumbfuck.  

now, now are we a bit insecure.  If you take Virology Journal, then you probably read this back in 2005 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/.  When I treat patients, I don't ask their political affiliation.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yet everyone in this thread is whistling past the graveyard and showing their callousness with posts that basically say “who cares if these kids die from the spread of a disease that was totally preventable?” Cool thread guys. 

Yes. Everyone is whistling past the graveyard. 

Stop. We're all out here trying to live our lives, too. I don't want to make assumptions, but I would hazard a guess that plenty of people here have had relatives or acquaintances be hospitalized or die from the disease. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

This Fletch in Sequel III is way more of a jackass than in movies I and II. I’m pretty sure this isn’t Chevy Chase. Even he couldn’t be this much of a ahole.

Don't sell Chevy Chase short, he's a tremendous ahole.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yes. Everyone is whistling past the graveyard. 

Stop. We're all out here trying to live our lives, too. I don't want to make assumptions, but I would hazard a guess that plenty of people here have had relatives or acquaintances be hospitalized or die from the disease. 

Shocking reply from someone who asked whether we’d like to take a football hit or contract the disease. Given studies about permanent lung damage and life long health issues for even those that recover, put me in pads and a helmet, by the way. My point however was about people ignoring the practical impossibility of completing a season. I stand by it

7 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

now, now are we a bit insecure.  If you take Virology Journal, then you probably read this back in 2005 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/.  When I treat patients, I don't ask their political affiliation.  

I’m not dressing down some nobody that is a ghost around here.  When you get to be someone we actually know I’ll address you.  Til then, good day.  
And my fault for addressing a troll.  Good day, sir...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Given studies about permanent lung damage and life long health issues for even those that recover, put me in pads and a helmet, by the way.

Are you a 20 year old in the best shape of your life without any risk factors?

If not, I really don't care what you would prefer. I said as much when I asked the hpothetical.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

That’s a bit much. I (and I’ll venture to say most people) don’t watch to see people die. 

I will say that “acceptable losses” are for the military. That’s a good thing and a lot of good Americans died making it that way.  

angry tennis GIF by NOWNESS

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

But much less so. Fuckkkkk you fucking people. No football=no players and coaches being around all the time spreading it throughout the team, coaches, Belmont. Then all the suddden there’s a huge outbreak on campus and we just do what we did in the spring and now summer again. Need me to type that slower?

Yeah man, if you type slower, your insanity soaked tirades will convince exponentially more people.  

I never thought it would happen, but you may end up far enough down the neg trail to get removed.  I sure hope so.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I don’t think any conference or the NCAA has answered any of these questions. I think my frustration is that I think it’s inevitable multiple players on a team will test positive and because of practice, the whole team will have been exposed during the same week. You can’t just bench 7 guys and have everyone else play.  So an entire team will need to be shut down for at least two weeks. 

Most of your questions have been answered. Eligibility was addressed yesterday. All players get an extra year. They can opt out and still get an extra year.

Teams are going out of their way to break up into groups so the entire team isn't in the same closed room at once for any length of time. Sounds like most teams are even splitting the positional groups so that for example the entire WR corps can't all become infected.

Who will enforce? What if coaches knowingly play a positive player? What if there are outbreaks and games are called off? There are no great answers to these, teams are expected to self-police and it's in their best interests to be honest and safe. But if you're assuming the worst of CFB/human nature, yeah things can get ugly and the season could abruptly end. But no conference is going to say right now, "We can't play because this is a corrupt sport run by evil assholes."

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

That argument can be made, but it is an strawman. Yes, the athletes could contract Covid in a regular student setting. One could argue more likely because of the testing, safety protocols, etc, that the players are safer than regular students. But it is ignoring the little fact that one is required to contact another person to play the game of football. You are breathing heavily around people and physically touching them during the game. 

Even though most students will likely try to physically touch another student during the semester because sex, no one is forcing you to physically touch another student. It is possible to not contract Covid if you follow safety protocols and social distance. It is not possible to social distance during football. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in favor of playing. Any player that wants to opt out should, and any players that wants to play should. 

I'd rather spend a week full of practice, playing a contact sport outdoors, against guys who are actively trying to avoid CV and are tested twice weekly, than spend 15 minutes in a crowded bar or party with regular college students.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I'd rather spend a week full of practice, playing a contact sport outdoors, against guys who are actively trying to avoid CV and are tested twice weekly, than spend 15 minutes in a crowded bar or party with regular college students.  

the office yes GIF

42 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

An assumption that seems to be running rampant here is that football players are going to spend the entire Fall semester (and beyond for many) living the austere lives of monks in a football-focused abbey. This is... hopeful thinking.

What seems more rational to me is that football players will be doing of of the same dangerous stuff as their fellow students AND playing a contact sport.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

An assumption that seems to be running rampant here is that football players are going to spend the entire Fall semester (and beyond for many) living the austere lives of monks in a football-focused abbey. This is... hopeful thinking.

What seems more rational to me is that football players will be doing of of the same dangerous stuff as their fellow students AND playing a contact sport.

I think that's a somewhat fair assumption.   But college football (mandatory practice, weight room, meetings, study hall plus "voluntary" film work) is a full time job.  50+ hours/week.  The amount of "partying" and socializing players do off-season is multiples of in season.  And even then not near the level of your average college student.  The true time commitment is 1 reason why calling it "amateur" athletics is kind of a joke but that's for another thread.   Point being, on a relative basis, I think any given player is much less likely to catch COVID with a season vs. a cancelled season.  Even though I agree its inevitable some players will catch it. And if/when they do, hopefully with 3X/week testing, cases are caught before they spread.  Not to mention from what I've heard it was already pretty damn widespread among players this summer (when the University stopped releasing numbers) but I never heard actual numbers, just that there may be some level of herd immunity built in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

50+ hours a week is definitely a full-time job, but even having a full-time job leaves a ton of time for partying and their work generally isn't Friday and Saturday nights.

We're all in supposition mode right now regarding how football players will act as the weeks and months wear on. If these conferences and schools are intent on pushing the experiment forward, the truth will be revealed in any direction. It's a big experiment and the stakes for many will literally be life and death.

Edited by bad_teammate

14 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

50+ hours a week is definitely a full-time job, but even having a full-time job leaves a ton of time for partying and their work generally isn't Friday and Saturday nights.

Football players are sequestered at hotels the Friday nights before a home game and on the road.   Saturday night is indeed a big party night IF it's a home game (particularly an afternoon game).  Look, I don't think you are wrong that players are more vulnerable to infection compared to your average joe 40 year old working from home that only goes to the store and occasional restaurant patio.  But on a relative basis, I'm pretty confident that football players will have significantly less contact with the rest of the student body if there is a season vs. if there is not a season.  That's the point.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Unless these players have been living that monk-life the last couple of months, chances are, many of them have already been exposed to the virus. Has there been any widespread antibody testing on any of these teams? I can't say that I have seen that reported yet.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I agree with you. I also agree with you for the most part about it being safer in general (especially if they can get the rapid testing developed by the NBA). I was simply pointing out that one has to make contact in football. And test can give false positives and false negatives, (depending on which test you use). So there is an increase risk there that some might squeak through the testing process and you could catch Covid. Is it likely? No. But if you hermit yourself in your off-campus apartment, go to class online, it would be safer than playing football. I understand that's not going to fucking happen with college students. 

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wait, I’d take that bet too.  Taking that bet and matter of factly acting like the risk is zero are two different things.  People posted it was laughable to think a college athlete could die  

Are you the type of doc who believes aliens are raping the masses?  Because those are out there too... 

Illegal, or space aliens?  Got a friend who was gang raped after a space ship landed in his yard.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

I do think they will go to bars and parties. And that will be the main way they get it - by being regular college kids. 

The difference is that 1) they don’t have a ton of free time, and the coaches will be making sure they have even less this year, 2) I honestly believe they want to play and they know if they get it they are out of practice and games for 2 weeks. You can mock that if you want, but there is an increased motivation and education to steer clear of riskier situations. 3) There also is peer pressure from teammates and coaches to not be the one who fucks it up for everyone else. 4) Most football players hang with other football players. Unlike the SAE who will hang out with 20 guys who unknowingly have it, the football player will know exactly which of his buddies are positive because they are being tested 2-3 times a week. 

Take away football, the desire to play, the peer pressure and give them a ton of free time and the ability to go out every night of the week?  Yeah, that’s worse. 

Well said DJ, I completely agree.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Does that look more fun or safer than a very, very low chance of having any complications due to an illness? Or even showing symptoms?

can someone find the .gif of the 0u kid obliterating the white girl at a taco bell in norman?  because that's what covid19 is compared to any of the bighit clips that ztejas posted.

you didn't sign up for it, you have no expectation it's coming, and there's no protective gear at all.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

it would seem to me that a stable of bubbled sex partners, say, at a ratio of 10 to 1, would insure closure of any mineshaft gap.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Those of you that are not at risk or have preexisting conditions, would you rather be hit like this or rather catch covid?

What about this one

Or this one

Does that look more fun or safer than a very, very low chance of having any complications due to an illness? Or even showing symptoms?

I get that you never played sports, but yes I’d rather get rocked like that again than catch any kind of sickness. Especially one with so many long term unknowns as Covid. Monumentally stupid post. 

• Hook 'Em 3

The "I bet you X never happens!" gambit doesn't really hit very hard when there are no stakes on the bet and the factors involve other people's lives.

There is tremendous pressure on at-risk support staff, not only the financial pressure of needing to keep the job, but also the cultural pressure of being connected to football. It's really hard to say "no", so when you reduce scope to "no college athletes will die" you're simultaneously acknowledging that it's likely that others will.

Will the janitorial staff cleaning up the locker room get the same level of care and treatment as the players? Nutrition/food people? Trainers? Equipment managers? Assistants?

Lots of invisible people whose deaths we won't really care about.

• Hook 'Em 1