College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

13 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Well you’re on a football board and you are an idiot. Did you know viruses are contagious, especially this one? And every team and coaching staff are high risk. Easy enough for you?

you are such a dumb fuck that you just disagreed with the poster most likely to vehemently agree with you

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, tonedeaf said:

They tested him when he went in and was negative.  I worked for the VA for 30 years and I saw this quite often.  Doctors would amend a death certificate so the surviving spouse could get benefits.  I remember one case where a veteran was service connected for diabetes.  He was working on a car and it fell on him.  He was killed instantly.  The death certificate was amended to add diabetes as a secondary cause of death. ???? He was killed instantly!   The difference is $1200 a month, health benefits and education benefits.  Not sure cause of death on a death certificate is malpratice. Could be I guess.  

Oh yeah, I bet the hospital lied about the cause of death to get that sweet, sweet, sweet COVID money.   I read about it on Facebook. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

I suggest you raise your concerns with as many people as will listen.

Call your local TV station.

Post more details here. There are lots of lawyers on this site. I’m sure if you reach out they will be happy to help.

Post it on facebook. And twitter. 

I’d even get a go fund me site started. You need to raise money for your legal defense.

People need to know this stuff. If they are faking death certificates, then the statistics I’m looking at are bogus.

And if the stats are bogus, then maybe we can go back to our lives with no masks and what not.

How far up the ladder does this go? 

Is the CDC complicit in all of this?

Fuck man.

I never thought that my eyes could be opened this much on a football board.

Stories!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

LA Times sportswriter self-bubbled for 4 months then let his guard down and went to 2 patio dinners with friends.

the denier/freedom people need to read this.  reality/science people can skip unless you're bored.

no paywall.

tl/dr: it doesn't kill everyone, but it does kill, and if you get it, you are on your own, and you're in for a week of wondering if you're going to die.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-08-12/column-bill-plaschke-covid-19-experience?utm_source=pocket-newtab

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

LA Times sportswriter self-bubbled for 4 months then let his guard down and went to 2 patio dinners with friends.

the denier/freedom people need to read this.  reality/science people can skip unless you're bored.

no paywall.

tl/dr: it doesn't kill everyone, but it does kill, and if you get it, you are on your own, and you're in for a week of wondering if you're going to die.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2020-08-12/column-bill-plaschke-covid-19-experience?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I turned the "let me laugh even harder!" quip from Bender into a ...

This will send some people to their fainting couches, but I think it's a good move. They can broadcast in the corner of an empty stadium without disrupting the pregame. Bring some coaches, etc. over for distanced interviews. Use zoom to still let people hold up signs. Corso can still do the mascot hat thing, assuming he's good with traveling (private plane I assume).

Assuming a season does ESPN have any plans/new ideas for “College GameDay” and game coverage? — Mick L

I spoke to someone at ESPN this week. “College GameDay” is scheduled to travel to game sites but will not have fans. The possibilities include setting up a show from a traditional spot on campus or inside the stadium or even an indoor studio on campus. The decisions are all still fluid.

Right now, death rate of known cases is still over 3%

If it is even 1%, thats 16-17 dead players assuming normal stats (which in this case, nothing is normal). Now, these players are more fit (on the whole) than the average american, but a shit load of them are overweight and have sleep apnea and decreased lung reserves. Also, a lot of them are black (which, studies are showing the virus having worse effects on black people). 

Now, to confound everything further, the average college footballer has better than average healthcare than other americans and increased testing. So in the end, it could be a wash.

tldr: Who knows what will happen. We may play fall football without a single hiccup. We also may get 1 game in and cancel the season. But to say that no one in college football (players, coaches, managers, etc) will die from this is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY. 

19 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Kind of but not really. Learn how to read 

the post you quoted and negged from @Dnaguy was sarcasm you dumb fuck, but you are such an hysterical jack ass, it flew right over your head

seriously, go back and read all of his posts in this thread; he agrees with you

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah, they will dumbfuck. Just like how you said we were out if in May. You right ringers are a special type of stupid 

How many players have died of it throughout the first several months of the pandemic? I’m sure I would’ve heard of it on ESPN if it had happened, even outside of the season and just living their regular lives. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Yeah no. Our fat as fuck lineman get it and it gets passed on to some fat as fuck coach then it breaks out around campus and we have like 40 students and 2 coaches die cause their lungs exploded. BUT WE GOT TO WATCH A KIDS GAME!! Worth it!!

A suggestion for you:  why don't you focus your anger and self righteous indignation on college campuses being open, rather than concerning yourself with whether football is played.  Students are far more likely to catch the virus and spread it at exponential rates while they are out partying than when they are playing football.  Yes, football players party during the season, but it's way less than when they aren't in season.  It's common sense to me that football players will be safer if they are under the watchful eye of their coaches and participating in in-season activities.   

Personally, I care more about the decision making process than the outcome of the decision.  Maybe the right thing to do is to shut down college campuses and all student activities, including football.  But I think it's crazy to keep campuses open and cancel the football season.           

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, 3shot said:

A suggestion for you:  why don't you focus your anger and self righteous indignation on college campuses being open, rather than concerning yourself with whether football is played.  Students are far more likely to catch the virus and spread it at exponential rates while they are out partying than when they are playing football.  Yes, football players party during the season, but it's way less than when they aren't in season.  It's common sense to me that football players will be safer if they are under the watchful eye of their coaches and participating in in-season activities.   

Personally, I care more about the decision making process than the outcome of the decision.  Maybe the right thing to do is to shut down college campuses and all student activities, including football.  But I think it's crazy to keep campuses open and cancel the football season.           

Or perhaps you can fuck off. And I am pissed about the school deal. Kids have been out since March and we have no fucking clue cause we have that one idiot in charge of the country and the other in charge of our state. Everything about it insane 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 15

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

where did you read that?

It is known. Covid stats. Key is known cases.

I’ve seen estimates that the real number of cases is 10x that number due to asymptomatic cases and testing limits. So that would put the death rate at 0.3% but again those are estimates. 

1 minute ago, GRHorn said:

It is known. Covid stats. Key is known cases.

I’ve seen estimates that the real number of cases is 10x that number due to asymptomatic cases and testing limits. So that would put the death rate at 0.3% but again those are estimates. 

Correct. And rate has been falling about 1% per month due to increasing numbers of known cases. Like I said, we dont know for sure where we are in death rate per se, but it could be anywhere from 3% to 0.001% 

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If it is even 1%, thats 16-17 dead players assuming normal stats (which in this case, nothing is normal). Now, these players are more fit (on the whole) than the average american, but a shit load of them are overweight and have sleep apnea and decreased lung reserves. Also, a lot of them are black (which, studies are showing the virus having worse effects on black people). 

Now, to confound everything further, the average college footballer has better than average healthcare than other americans and increased testing. So in the end, it could be a wash.

tldr: Who knows what will happen. We may play fall football without a single hiccup. We also may get 1 game in and cancel the season. But to say that no one in college football (players, coaches, managers, etc) will die from this is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY. 

Death rate for people in the age range for college students is nowhere near 3%.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

OK, it's "known"-- but as pointed out, there's a lot of floating data out there and a lot of ways to interpret it (methodology and underlying assumptions, not to mention age and underlying conditions). Agree w/Greenspoint, we don't really know, which to me makes cautiously moving forward (or, out of an abundance of caution, NOT moving playing) with CFB a reasonable position.

It's odd that so many people don't find those possibilities reasonable. So, so odd. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Oh you mean human life is bigger than a game and the economy!?!?!? Oh well. The posters who know who they are hoping for football and they could give a fuck if a few students die. Just unreal 

You’re what Andre 3000 would call a bitch’s bitch.   That’s a bitch 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Correct. And rate has been falling about 1% per month due to increasing numbers of known cases. Like I said, we dont know for sure where we are in death rate per se, but it could be anywhere from 3% to 0.001% 

Now, factor in the other side of the coin - drug use, drinking, depression, long term financial damages (from an individual's standpoint, not to UT Athletics), free time to get into trouble, lack of purpose, the list could go on quite awhile.

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Now, factor in the other side of the coin - drug use, drinking, depression, long term financial damages (from an individual's standpoint, not to UT Athletics), free time to get into trouble, lack of purpose, the list could go on quite awhile.

Yes I feel like it’s a pretty safe bet that the lockdown has caused far more harm/deaths to teens/young adults than the virus. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I hope you are right wrt the max numbers. As you know we have a 22 going through the process now.

Yeah, forgot about that. I have to think if they're letting seniors come back with an extra year of eligibility they will not do it at the expense of incoming classes. That wouldn't be fair at all. If it was one-or-the-other, I'd side more on the seniors-it's-time-to-move-on crowd personally.

35 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I mean, does Fletch know that people die playing football almost every year?  I assume you want to abolish the sport entirely, right?

Does he know that all these athletes are still at risk of catching the disease and/or dying if they don't play football?  I'm sure he has boatloads of data showing how much their risk of contracting covid is increased by playing football, but he just forgot to share that with us. 

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Does he know that all these athletes are still at risk of catching the disease and/or dying if they don't play football?  I'm sure he has boatloads of data showing how much their risk of contracting covid is increased by playing football, but he just forgot to share that with us. 

But much less so. Fuckkkkk you fucking people. No football=no players and coaches being around all the time spreading it throughout the team, coaches, Belmont. Then all the suddden there’s a huge outbreak on campus and we just do what we did in the spring and now summer again. Need me to type that slower?

Edited by Fletch
  • Fuck You 10

You guys are so fucked in the head it’s truly astonishing. Putting lives at risk so we can watch a fucking kids game. Some of y’all really should’ve ended up at aggy. Would’ve fit in much better 

So I take it you're not a football fan at all.

• Hook 'Em 2

You guys are so fucked in the head it’s truly astonishing. Putting lives at risk so we can watch a fucking kids game. Some of y’all really should’ve ended up at aggy. Would’ve fit in much better 

You come off like a fucking nut, dude.  Take a deep breath and go for a walk.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

But much less so. Fuckkkkk you fucking people. No football=no players and coaches being around all the time spreading it throughout the team, coaches, Belmont. Then all the suddden there’s a huge outbreak on campus and we just do what we did in the spring and now summer again. Need me to type that slower?

So your regarded opinion is that football players are going to spread it all through campus as opposed to all the other people just coming back to campus will spread it all through campus?  The football players have been there for weeks now.  They're being tested frequently.  Yet, in your "expert opinion", it will be the football players that start the 'outbreaks'??  And then you accuse everyone else of being Gomers.  Jeez.  I haven't read a continual meltdown like this on this site in several weeks.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

Prove it. Give one shred of evidence that shows these guys are at higher risk of getting covid being tested regularly and kept away from the general population than they would be if football were cancelled. Go look at the numbers from schools like OU and Clemson.  A good number of guys came into the program already positive for Covid, but since they've gotten to campus and began football protocol, a lot of schools positives zero'ed out. These guys are at lower risk while in a structured program with regular testing and being gvien a meaningful reason to take precautions.  If you follow any of these guys' social media, most of them were not worried about or taking serious precautions to avoid getting Covid and they'd go right back to doing so if football gets cancelled.  You keep making this blanket assumption that playing football increases their risk of Covid, but it's just not true and you have no data to support your position.

Do you need me to type that slower, or should I avoid using facts and data and only write in histrionics so you can understand it?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Dude. That's some highly dishonest math and you know it. Absolutely this virus is dangerous. But to just outright manipulate numbers in order to make a BS argument is, well, BS. Show the stats for the actually relevant age class to this discussion.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Bro.  Lol

Odds of a huge C19 breakout on campus is about a billion times more likely from partying then the football team getting it and taking it to others. 

Get a grip my dude.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I have a policy of not negging any post simply for having a different opinion than me, other than an obvious troll asking for it, but if I had a different set of standards this would be a neg for the obvious lack of critical thought and the ad hominem fallacy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Cmon 'ballgame' boy.   This stat you started your post with is bullshit and you know it.  The CDC estimates only 10% of actual cases are actually "known" so your math is already completely fucked.  Then, as you are also well aware unless you are just a fucking idiot, the death rate for those in the 18-22 range is virtually zero.   So, your conclusion, as it relates to players at least, is flat out false.   The likelihood of any college football player dying from COVID is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY.     But let's go a step further, do you think a college football player is more likely to become infected with COVID in a structured program with football responsibilities where those they spend 90% of their time with are being tested 3X per week or are they more likely to get it learning virtually like the rest of the students but with a shit load of free time?  Because I'm sure 18-22 shelter in place on the reg, right?   In sum, this post, like just about everything you post, is fucking idiotic.  I swear some people have flat out lost the ability to critically analyze risk.  And I'm talking about educated college football writers.  Not morons like Greenspoint.   I think my posting history in the COVID threads speaks for itself as I've taken this very seriously.  But posters like you that have zero ability to stratify risks based on the data drive me crazy.

If you want to talk about the risk for coaches that's a completely different discussion.   I think coaches/staff should absolutely be able to opt out if they wish without penalty (just like players can).  Per CDC, the risk of death is 10X higher for those 40-49 (compared to under 30), 30X higher once you hit 50 and 90X higher once you hit 65.  Coaches and staff are those most at risk from having a football season.  Of course, unless they are electing to shelter in place, I'm not sure they are increasing their risk of catching the disease much given the protocols in place.

(I know you’re not replying to my old posts...But I wanna distance myself from the we all dead crowd.)

Totally agree. My only issue was with those matter of factly stating nobody would die.  And I still think paid pros vs unpaid college kids getting exposed is different.  The coaches are paid really well so they can decide if they wanna take on the risk imo.  Conferences are likely more scared of players organizing vs player safety if you look at their history of ‘caring’ for players.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1