College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That's where Texas is too. We obviously prioritize football to a greater degree than UCLA does, but I don't think we prioritize it quite the way the schools that are winning big do. And it's because we do take a lot of pride in what the school is able to accomplish academically- the Dell Medical School is an amazing accomplishment, we have top ten programs in engineering and business and law. What we do on the academic side is world-class and it matters. There are at a max a dozen public schools in America better than Texas. 

But we don't seem to be able to consistently expand our academic mission and maintain our football competitiveness. Post Royal, we were badly up and down under Akers, terrible under McWilliams except for one year, terrible under Mackovic in half his years, won two conference titles in 15 years under Mack Brown, and now have Charlie Strong and Tom Herman to account for. 

It's interesting to look at the real CFB powers right now, and notice how few are both premier academic institutions and football powerhouses.  And not just "good schools" but schools that invest heavily in non-athletic research and education.  You drive onto the UCLA campus over the last 15 years and it seems there are as many construction cranes there as in Dubai.  And few have anything to do with athletic facilities.  Such is our lot.  

14 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That's where Texas is too. We obviously prioritize football to a greater degree than UCLA does, but I don't think we prioritize it quite the way the schools that are winning big do. And it's because we do take a lot of pride in what the school is able to accomplish academically- the Dell Medical School is an amazing accomplishment, we have top ten programs in engineering and business and law. What we do on the academic side is world-class and it matters. There are at a max a dozen public schools in America better than Texas. 

But we don't seem to be able to consistently expand our academic mission and maintain our football competitiveness. Post Royal, we were badly up and down under Akers, terrible under McWilliams except for one year, terrible under Mackovic in half his years, won two conference titles in 15 years under Mack Brown, and now have Charlie Strong and Tom Herman to account for. 

Or we're just in a shitty slump that happens to even the best of programs. OU didn't win a conference title from 87 to 00. This is the longest they've gone without a NC since their first. Alabama went 17 years without a NC and just one conference title from 92 to 09. USC went 25 years without a NC from 78 to 03 - from 79 to 03 they only won two outright conference titles. And most people would put all three of those programs ahead of Texas in all time rankings.

(And this isnt even touching on ND's 32 years of shit-sucking or what has happened to Corn)

One more note - as far as conference titles go, we're in the only conference division in the county that has 2 traditional powerhouses in it. That makes winning conference titles a bit harder. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

There is some interesting info in here on what went into the P12 thinking.  Brings up some good points, but also finishes by saying that Bruin fans should just get used to the fact that UCLA will never prioritize football over academics or other institutional missions (primarily medical where Geffen alone has donated over $450 million over the last coupe of decades).  I guess there's pride ot be found elsewhere other than the football field.  But the football field would be nice too.

I'm surprised the ACC is in the still playing camp.  Their schools' academic profiles are more in line with the B1G and the PAC than with the SEC and XII.

1 minute ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

I'm surprised the ACC is in the still playing camp.  Their schools' academic profiles are more in line with the B1G and the PAC than with the SEC and XII.

I'm guessing its all about the money.   And lets be fair, this is all about money.   They just launched a network and need content.  The northern schools aren't in outbreak mode and the southern schools risk losing more ground to the SEC embedded around them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Or we're just in a shitty slump that happens to even the best of programs. OU didn't win a conference title from 87 to 00. This is the longest they've gone without a NC since their first. Alabama went 17 years without a NC and just one conference title from 92 to 09. USC went 25 years without a NC from 78 to 03 - from 79 to 03 they only won two outright conference titles. And most people would put all three of those programs ahead of Texas in all time rankings.

(And this isnt even touching on ND's 32 years of shit-sucking or what has happened to Corn)

One more note - as far as conference titles go, we're in the only conference division in the county that has 2 traditional powerhouses in it. That makes winning conference titles a bit harder. 

The Big XII has divisions?  When did this happen?

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

I'm guessing its all about the money.   And lets be fair, this is all about money.   They just launched a network and need content.  The northern schools aren't in outbreak mode and the southern schools risk losing more ground to the SEC embedded around them.

That and the ACC's worst academic schools are generally its big-money football programs.

Those are great article clips by @Hurtlocker and @Sbbruin on this page. Thanks for pasting. Between them they clear up a lot of the misperceptions that ordinary fans have about this is all playing out.

I know it wouldn't be college sports if we didn't get mad and insult other teams/conferences (and even each other), but everyone has to navigate COVID USA based on their own circumstances. Those articles do a great job explaining that challenge.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

Ha, the point wasn't network profits mattered as the concern, it was that if they aren't in great shape they could choose not to pay because there isn't a stream of money to cover the loss.

That was my assumption from the start. If the conference isn't playing, they aren't providing content to be paid for.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Sweet. Check out for a few days and I see the usual cocksuckers want student athletes to die for money and entertainment. I love the human spirit 

And yep. Regular crowd was all touchy about it. I thought they were no bull shit tough guys But whatever

So 29 days our. I don’t see how football is gonna be possible. Maybe a few scrimmages against lo Texas teams but doubt it. 7 on 7 tournaments would be a solid bridge until footballs back in full form 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

meatchicken, jort, pedder

54 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

But the media contract is with Mickey Mouse...

giphy.gif

29 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

and yet OU has won the conference a shit ton more than we have and 6 straight on top of that?????

Hell , they won it more times in our best decade (2000s) in 30 years.

Was trying to make the point that if the SWC and Big 8 were still a thing we would have more conference titles despite being shitty for 11 years now. Or if we were in the ACC or Pac12. 

Obviously we should have more than we do, regardless. 

Edited by ztejas

Just now, ztejas said:

Was trying to make the point that if the SWC and Big 8 were still a thing we would have more conference titles despite being shitty for 11 years now. Or if we were in the ACC or Pac12. 

Obviously we should have more than we do, regardless. 

I know what you meant . I was just doing the Shaggy/Surly just busting your balls. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You could stay checked right out and I doubt anyone will miss you- with sweet, sweet nonsensical takes like this. 

That’s rich coming from the guy who went on a cousin Eddie road trip across the states and fucked your wife in a Walmart parking lot. You every now and then have a good take, but you aren’t anywhere near we smart or funny as you think you are. Looking forward to you enlightening us with basketball knowledge that didn’t even exist until Wulaw finishes the formula in his study. Fuck off

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

This sounds like aggy talk.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Fletch said:

And yep. Regular crowd was all touchy about it. I thought they were no bull shit tough guys But whatever

So 29 days our. I don’t see how football is gonna be possible. Maybe a few scrimmages against lo Texas teams but doubt it. 7 on 7 tournaments would be a solid bridge until footballs back in full form 

tenor.gif?itemid=9271200

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Queen Bitch said:

This sounds like aggy talk.

I'm not sure how. Would you take USC's program over us right now? Or Michigan's? Or Tennessee's? 

We aren't that bad off in the grand scheme of things. We made one terrible fucking hire that we're still hurting from. We have yet to find out if our latest hire was a good one or not. And we're putting together a more stacked QB room than anything a school like aggy has ever remotely seen on their campus.

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean, yeah. I wouldn't consider any of those schools blue bloods. Was trying to make the point that even the programs at the very top of the list have shitty stretches. 

You wouldn't consider Mich and tOSU blue bloods?  How many blue bloods are on your list, like 4?  The most common definition I've seen has blue bloods at 7- TX, OU, ND, USC, Mich, OSU and Bama.  

But yeah, your point remains that we'd have a shitload more recent success on paper if we didn't have ou in our conference.  But I don't think it'd be any easier in the big 10 east or SEC West.

15 minutes ago, Fletch said:

That’s rich coming from the guy who went on a cousin Eddie road trip across the states and fucked your wife in a Walmart parking lot. You every now and then have a good take, but you aren’t anywhere near we smart or funny as you think you are. Looking forward to you enlightening us with basketball knowledge that didn’t even exist until Wulaw finishes the formula in his study. Fuck off

Know how we know that your wife is fucking other people...???

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm actually morbidly curious - could the service academies be ordered to play football if it came down to it? Commander-in-chief and all that

I don't know that, since I slept at home last night & not a Holiday Inn...

But I have found a theory, of way Rutgers was added to B1G (kinda)..?

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Awesome- thanks for sharing again!  Super super enlightening. Top notch content. Would read again. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

53 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean, yeah. I wouldn't consider any of those schools blue bloods. Was trying to make the point that even the programs at the very top of the list have shitty stretches. 

I wonder about the football knowledge of somebody who doesn't recognize Michigan and Ohio State as CFB Bluebloods.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

You wouldn't consider Mich and tOSU blue bloods?  How many blue bloods are on your list, like 4?  The most common definition I've seen has blue bloods at 7- TX, OU, ND, USC, Mich, OSU and Bama.  

But yeah, your point remains that we'd have a shitload more recent success on paper if we didn't have ou in our conference.  But I don't think it'd be any easier in the big 10 east or SEC West.

I put Michigan on the bubble. They have a blue blood amount of wins, conference titles and AAs but just one title in the last 70+ years. Traditional blue blood, maybe, but haven't really been a championship-winning blue blood since the Korean War.

And I thought jorts meant Gata'. Of course tOSU is a blue blood - I didn't mention them because they've never really had a period of sucking for more than a few years at a time.

4 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Don't forget Husker fans that peep this thread: "tOSU & UM saved you from the obscurity of not playing football" whoops...

No, no. Let's remember that Texas was always the bad guy and Nebraska was the good guy who didn't want any exceptions to continue just for them. At least Mizzou and Colorado knew their place and are just happy to get a seat at the table. Nebraska thinks they invented the table. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I wonder about the football knowledge of somebody who doesn't recognize Michigan and Ohio State as CFB Bluebloods.

Again - I beleive Hagbard was tacking on more beleaguered programs with history. I interpreted the teams listed as Michigan, Florida and Penn State.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I put Michigan on the bubble. They have a blue blood amount of wins, conference titles and AAs but just one title in the last 70+ years. Traditional blue blood, maybe, but haven't really been a championship-winning blue blood since the Korean War.

And I thought jorts meant Gata'. Of course tOSU is a blue blood - I didn't mention them because they've never really had a period of sucking for more than a few years at a time.

You realize Texas and Michigan are pretty much the same programs, right. Just push the timeline around a bit 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You realize Texas and Michigan are pretty much the same programs, right. Just push the timeline around a bit 

Yeah Michigan is certainly a blueblood. Hell they have the largest stadium and best attendance in all of college football.

Edited by SimonBolivar

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I say this as someone who can't stand UM but c'mon now.  The winningest CFB team of all-time is not a "bubble" blue blood.  That' just silly. 

You had a bad take.  Put the shovel down and move on. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah, not really at all. Michigan has two one-loss or undefeated seasons since 1974 - unless you include a season in which they tied 3 games. 

Texas has seven. 

Go back another 15 years and it's 8 to 15. 

Go back another 20 years and it's 11 to 19. 

We're now in the 1930s.