College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  No surprise you didn’t get that.  It was in response to me not working at an academic center vs private practice.  That’s something that can be a point of contention within medicine.  But you’re not even a fucking premed scrub but wanna call me out?  Hahaha 

I guess we're going to have to call Phlegm to straighten him out.

• Haha 1

There were people moving into dorms all weekend.  Two good friends of mine were moving their kids in for sure.  

It takes like 30 seconds on Google to see that dorms open on the 20th with some early check in functions this afternoon. So no dorms have not been open. Off campus residences, apartments, whatever, may obviously be on different timelines.

Edit: there does look to be one surly 1% new apartment style dorm that opened Saturday. Perhaps your friends are ballin?

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

The virus is not a hoax but all you motherfucks who have made Covid19 your goddamned religion because you are grade A mind controlled pussies absolutely are the hoax. 

We are going to laugh at you for the rest of your lives. Fuck straight off.

Covid is a religion.  It has it's own priests on TV telling you what's good and what's bad.  It uses fear to control its followers.  If you doubt the TV priests, you're a blasphemer who should be excommunicated.   Covid has become a full blown religion. 

This 'event' has taught me which of my friends think critically, and which believe "If it's on main stream TV, it must be true!"   

Shun the disbelievers!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

30 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The recurring theme of covid is the people in charge of pretty much everything being blindsided by easily predictable events.  Open bars and college kids together with friends for the first time in months?  NO ONE COULD HAVE SEEN THAT COMING.

It's the first half of Jaws in a loop. At no point does anyone make the mayor hire Quint. At no point do we do what's really necessary at this point - shut everything down again, pay people who are unemployed or work in jobs that will die because they can't work, stop evictions again, etc., etc.

Instead we keep looking at the water and all the money it can make us, and jump right back in. Will schools opening and then closing be our "my kids were on that beach, too" moment. Nah.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Monster said:

Covid is a religion.  It has it's own priests on TV telling you what's good and what's bad.  It uses fear to control its followers.  If you doubt the TV priests, you're a blasphemer who should be excommunicated.   Covid has become a full blown religion. 

This 'event' has taught me which of my friends think critically, and which believe "If it's on main stream TV, it must be true!"   

Shun the disbelievers!

Covid is the opiate of the masses?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

If Facebook and Twitter have a function for blocking dangerous false information, maybe this site should too. Jesus Christ 

Why is it Covid fanatics want more and more censorship? 

Why are you guys so afraid of debate?   

Are you afraid independently minded people might read something that makes them question the big, scary narrative?  

That would be bad, huh?  If people started asking questions....

Quick, block anyone that opposes your viewpoint!  

I used to respect you, dude.  Look what fear is doing to you...you're asking for censorship...on surly.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

It takes like 30 seconds on Google to see that dorms open on the 20th with some early check in functions this afternoon. So no dorms have not been open. Off campus residences, apartments, whatever, may obviously be on different timelines.

Edit: there does look to be one surly 1% new apartment style dorm that opened Saturday. Perhaps your friends are ballin?

They may be.  

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Because nobody in MLB practiced sign stealing. 

There's a huge difference between a player on 2nd stealing signs and someone who is NOT A PLAYER sitting in the stadium somewhere stealing signs and relaying them to the players. When a runner is on 2nd it's expected that he may try to steal signs so catchers and pitchers take precautions to avoid it. 

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

About those lock downs...

If you think real hard I'm sure you can come up with some significant cultural and populations differences between Sweden and NY. But since you're in to comparisons, why don't you go ahead and compare Sweden with their Nordic neighbors. Or Singapore for that matter. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

And then they infect their parents and grandparents and a bunch more people have to be hospitalized when we were already almost at maximum capacity.  Sounds like a great plan.  I can't believe no one followed it.

The current method literally cannot last as-is. No matter how much people are concerned about MeeMaw.

14 minutes ago, Monster said:

Are you afraid independently minded people might read something that makes them question the big, scary narrative?  

I used to respect you, dude.  Look what fear is doing to you...you're asking for censorship...on surly.  

4245010ce4cfd1d50cb925d9b379898d6076ed64

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

think real hard I'm sure you can come up with some significant cultural and populations differences between Sweden and NY. But since you're in to comparisons, why don't you go ahead and compare Sweden with their Nordic neighbors. Or Singapore for that matter. 

Oh I want to play!

Sweden Population density: 25/km2

Finland: 18/km2

Norway: 15/km2

US: 36/km2

World: 60/km2

UK: 275/km2

NY State: 159/km2

NYC Population Density: 38,242/km2

Edited by Hurtlocker

15 minutes ago, Monster said:

What you call censorship, i call not giving morons a platform. Nobody wants to punish you for being dumb. You are demonstrably wrong and listening to people with opinions like yours just keeps fucking things up worse.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

I like how they also always include "if you would just do your own independent research" meaning the cook "doctor" on youtube who finally said what they want to believe, so everyone else is wrong.
Classes start today in person at OSU. This weekend they reported a sorority house is on lockdown after 23 members tested positive (they would have been in town the last week or two). Video from the weekend circulating of packed bars including a dance club with kids bumping and grinding from wall to wall. I'd say half or more of the student body at OSU comes from small towns and they probably believe the youtube video and memes their great aunt shared on facebook about conspiracy. This shit ain't going to fix itself. A shit ton of campuses are going to have major outbreaks before Game 1 and shit will all get cancelled. If they manage to get a few games in, it will still get shut down with outbreaks on campus.
The one thing I see some credibility to is the argument that players might very well be at lower risk through the regiments of playing sports, including the testing and containment efforts within the locker room. But they are not paid and cannot be contained in an NBA-like bubble. They are students on a campus full of idiot kids. It can only work if the rest of campus can manage to avoid outbreaks. And then you need your opponents to be able to do the same thing. If campuses have outbreaks, I don't see football being feasible, even if the roster is relatively negative on testing at the time of the outbreak. It will only be a matter of time before they catch it. If campus gets locked down and students sent home, I don't think football players should be playing. There is just something wrong with "student athletes" being the only students on campus. 

Agreed with a lot of what you said. Concerns I have, in no particular order:

1) College football does not have a central authority to ensure public health of players, support staff follow safety protocols evenly and without exception.

2) Travel and contact sports seem inherently risky behaviors in places with widespread community transmission.

3) Exponential spread of virus to others beyond the unpaid athletes who agree to play.

4) Beyond crazy talk of fans in the stands, which would make it harder for football to proceed, campuses to stay open, cities to mitigate risks.

5) The unknown risks and dangers to athletes are relatively low, but there will be inevitable impact among the thousands of players who proceed to play.

If #1 could be addressed, then college football could work. But some many factors intersecting means we will not have a meaningful season and this will play itself out until the final 1-5 exhibition games conclude with widespread cancellations and clusterfuckery.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Monster said:

This is a tired rhetorical device.

They took muh free speech!!!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

Greater than or equal to the common causes of morbidity and mortality for the given age group

or post a link to any study stratifying hospitalizations and deaths by age. I haven’t been able to find one on pubmed

I am unable and more so unwilling to search right now. You may be correct, there is no current case study stratifying hospitalizations and deaths by age. I concede. That doesn't refute my point that a poster claiming covid was "not that dangerous" to people under 65 was factually incorrect. I understand people under 65 are less likely to have morbidity issues, and in some age ranges, significantly less. We're really just having an semantic argument about what we both personally consider dangerous. We might agree, we might not. 

5 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

If #1 could be addressed, then college football could work

I wonder if the three P5 conferences that are trying to play are working this out. I know they're in some discussions but "we've got medical clearance to play" isn't the same as all 39 programs agreeing "and this is how we'll maintain safety". 

18 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Oh I want to play!

Population density being just one factor along with a particular country's social mores, and even how much time a country had to react to covid before it had taken root. And then there's the fact that nobody with a brain would hold up NYC as a model in how to respond to covid. For one thing they kept their schools open and the subway, too, with a minimum of precautions. Just as morons like @HtownHornwould have advocated.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I am unable and more so unwilling to search right now. You may be correct, there is no current case study stratifying hospitalizations and deaths by age. I concede. That doesn't refute my point that a poster claiming covid was "not that dangerous" to people under 65 was factually incorrect. I understand people under 65 are less likely to have morbidity issues, and in some age ranges, significantly less. We're really just having an semantic argument about what we both personally consider dangerous. We might agree, we might not. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Aha! There it is again! Fucking clockwork. 

Call someone a sheep, man. We all know you want to. I know this because I'm the site's foremost expert on sheep.

It's ironic because Monster's arguments on thinking critically and independent thought are used so often and by so many people that they are cliche.

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I fucking love how, in today's society, people can so easily convince themselves that they're critical, independent thinkers because they choose to go against the grain of, you know, experts when it's convenient to them.

Wait, no I don't.

Many an internet genius goes conclusion shopping and believes that he has "thoroughly researched" the topic.

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

If there was a 50-50 split, or even 80-20, then there might be reasons to doubt the majority view. The majority is overwhelmingly on the same page, so yeah, the others are cooks, especially the ones on youtube who think alien sperm is medicine.

Are they doctors or cooks?  Jfc, make up your mind.

Or, maybe you mean kooks???

41 minutes ago, Monster said:

This post brought to you by our Russian meddlers, attempting to sow discord throughout our society.

It's the only explanation for something so f'ing stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I had at least 4 different families move their kids into UT dorms this past weekend. I don't know if that makes them "open" but there are kids, at least 4, in on campus UT dorms.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

And then they infect their parents and grandparents and a bunch more people have to be hospitalized when we were already almost at maximum capacity.  Sounds like a great plan.  I can't believe no one followed it.

It would have worked if we confined all of the students, and only the students, to campus for two weeks before school starts.  They all party and infect each other and are noncontagious by the time school starts.

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I think this is more than semantics. There is nothing in the literature to support this virus being very dangerous to healthy people under 65 (62 in the Wuhan study). Asserting otherwise is not helpful IMO, nor is citing anectodes of people outside the high risk population getting very sick/dying,  if you are trying to convince people who are on the fence about the covid threat. 

I have many posts on other threads on this topic that make it clear I am not in the “this virus is no big deal” camp, and am personally more at risk than most of contracting the virus, so I do my best to stay current with new information 

I have issues with schools opening back up not because I am worried about young people’s health but because of the risk they pose to high risk people they will inevitably encounter

• Hook 'Em 6

I wonder how many student deaths it will take for universities to start closing back down/going online. UNC may as well change its name to University of Novel Coronavirus at this point as they're out of quarantine dorms and are sending students to local hotels now, and there's many other schools following in their footsteps.

But hey, what's a few avoidable deaths at the altar of college football amirite?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I wonder how many student deaths it will take for universities to start closing back down/going online. UNC may as well change its name to University of Novel Coronavirus at this point as they're out of quarantine dorms and are sending students to local hotels now, and there's many other schools following in their footsteps.

But hey, what's a few avoidable deaths at the altar of college football amirite?

You can't blame universities' decision to have in-person classes on college football.  It's much more about their budget - specifically dorms and meal plans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

You can't blame universities' decision to have in-person classes on college football.  It's much more about their budget - specifically dorms and meal plans.

I don't blame it all on college football, but universities could not maintain their """amateur sports""" label if they forced athletes to come back but not the rest of the student body, just to earn revenue for the school that the students won't see a dime of

Honestly, what does any of this have to do with college football?  How are kids helped by cancelling the season?  The only difference will be that they are no longer playing for teams that are "trying to follow the mandates in place."  They just will be kids on a college campus, with a lot more free time and no mandates.

You want to shut down campuses?  I don't think we should, but at least you can argue that will limit CV-19 among students.  Shutting down football doesn't do anything.  Quite possibly the opposite.

But some will feel better because the schools won't be making TV money.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1