College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

It's contagious as fuck. I don't care how ignorant, liberated, or "non-compliant" Americans are, we can't march tons of people into certain sickness. A college and its town can't function without adults doing maintenance, food service, security, IT, office administration, transportation...basically every job that exists. Even Tuscaloosa isn't gonna stay open if everyone is going around infecting each other.

Edited by Bartles
  • Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

If Facebook and Twitter have a function for blocking dangerous false information, maybe this site should too. Jesus Christ 

It’s not a even as bad as the flu? Do you huff paint? Please god don’t tell me you graduated from Texas. 

I don’t think people are worried about it killing ALL the coaches and players, just you know...a few. I guess that’s alright with you? A few people dead is worth it! 

The Spanish Flu killed an estimated 675,000 in the US. Covid-19 has already killed a confirmed 170,000 people and it’s still going strong. Oh, and we have these great things now called antibiotics, anti-viral drugs, and ventilators that help people breathe when they can’t. Maybe, just fucking maybe, that might have helped us keep deaths down. Maybe 

Finally we get to the real reason you are all mad, the media is hurting your political candidate. If you’re going to discuss politics, please go to the cloak room and spew your mentally bankrupt bullshit. 

Yes, I'll reiterate: Unless you are old or already have a preexisting condition, it's not that dangerous to healthy people under 65. I encourage you to do some research on your own. 

I'm don't think it will kill any coaches and players, at least not beyond statistically significant level compared to the number of players and coaches who already die every season from other causes... which we already treat as an acceptable level by virtue of not canceling every season the first time someone dies. 

Insulting me doesn't make your argument stronger. Just because you disagree doesn't mean my opinion is "dangerous". It means you disagree. Tell me how I'm wrong.

ps - I'll let you take back the Spanish Flu comparison unless you really want to go there. And also the bullshit about how we should be more scared because we have.... better medicine now? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 9

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Yes, I'll reiterate: Unless you are old or already have a preexisting condition, it's not that dangerous to healthy people under 65. I encourage you to do some research on your own. 

I'm don't think it will kill any coaches and players, at least not beyond statistically significant level compared to the number of players and coaches who already die every season from other causes... which we already treat as an acceptable level by virtue of not canceling every season the first time someone dies. 

Insulting me doesn't make your argument stronger. Just because you disagree doesn't mean my opinion is "dangerous". It means you disagree. Tell me how I'm wrong.

ps - I'll let you take back the Spanish Flu comparison unless you really want to go there. And also the bullshit about how we should be more scared because we have.... better medicine now? 

I'd say you should STFU before you really embarrass yourself but....too late. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Lol.  There are no special complications or symptoms compared to other pathogens?  Nice work there, doc.  Also being so sure nobody is going to die is quite a stance to take.  I had an All American division I athlete I personally know end up hospitalized for several days.  He is under 25.  He’s in MUCH better shape than your typical O-lineman.  It’s comical you’re getting that much support for what’s a pretty idiotic post.  
My family isn't in Healthcare, but my wife used to be the manager of food services for a major provider in our city. We have friends that are in Healthcare and still at the hospital and they all have the same story. At one point in July, their designated COVID hospital overflowed into the next, and so on until all hospital ICUs in the system had their ICUs majority COVID. Flu patients don't take up excess ICU capacity like that, even during a bad flu outbreak. The flu argument is so weak. I haven't seen one credible healthcare professional make it.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Challenge with talking about this is that it is very easy for A) both sides to be right and B) both sides to just speak over each other. In looking at mortality rate for Travis County one can make the statement that college age kids that catch CV19 will not pass away. There are two cohorts that Travis County provides data for in the age group that college kids can/will be in (in particular football players)

10-19 (0.05% mortality rate)

20-29 (0.03% mortality rate)

I am not going to say that no college football players will die. What I can say (The Travis county data closely mirrors US data) is that it is HIGHLY unlikely they will die.

The broader concern for me are the potential long term health impacts to these players. This is the unknown. Will their life span be shortened? Will they be more susceptible to respiratory or other issues later in life? etc etc etc

At the end of the day these players aren't catching CV19 because they are playing football. They will catch it because they are on campus, and as has been shown from numerous videos of college aged idiots having house parties, going to clubs, beaches etc en masse with no masks/social distancing there is little to nothing you can do to stop the spread in this age group.

The coaches/training staff/press etc are primarily the ones that are taking risks around dying.

If I were UT I would play games with no fans in the stands. Keep testing religiously (as they have been) and work to quarantine impacted players. However I truly don't see games happening. Even if the university presidents were willing to roll the dice, I believe that the players are going to catch CV19 at scale and it will make it too difficult to even field a team with any degree of predictability.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Most will have no issues but I guarantee one, two, a hundred (I have no idea) will get very sick, maybe be hospitalized and maybe even die.  I guess that’s a risk worth taking so I can watch some college football though.

I'm going to regret getting involved here, but is there some sort of guarantee that if there is no football, that those same 1, 2, or a hundred players or coaches don't catch it? In other words, are they more likely to catch covid during practice/games then they are roaming the campus looking for snatch? It would appear to me that things like days packed full of study hall and practices and games on the weekend coupled with systematic testing or safety protocols, would do more to isolate them from the general public then cancelling the season. 

8 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

The broader concern for me are the potential long term health impacts to these players. This is the unknown. Will their life span be shortened? Will they be more susceptible to respiratory or other issues later in life? etc etc etc

This is the aspect that "scares" me. The symptoms are so fucking all over the map with this thing, and not nearly enough is known about the long-term effects.

My wife's friend lives in New York, caught it in March, and hasn't left the hospital since. None of her symptoms seem life-threatening, but it's still, obviously, doing a number on her.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't play, but man the "they're 20 years old, they're not going to die" takes are cringe-worthy.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Saying Covid is just like the Flu or not that dangerous to people under 65 is factually incorrect.

Neither of your links addressed complications and deaths stratified by age in my cursory look. Do you have any quotes from the articles showing that?  I’m not disagreeing with your overall stance, but those articles do not back up the quoted statement. 

My concerns with going back to school — college or grade school and high school— as well as returning to sports is the staff as well as older relatives being exposed by the young people. Deaths and long term complications among young people won’t be zero but they won’t be widespread either. 

11 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I'm going to regret getting involved here, but is there some sort of guarantee that if there is no football, that those same 1, 2, or a hundred players or coaches don't catch it? In other words, are they more likely to catch covid during practice/games then they are roaming the campus looking for snatch? It would appear to me that things like days packed full of study hall and practices and games on the weekend coupled with systematic testing or safety protocols, would do more to isolate them from the general public then cancelling the season. 

The genesis of these recent posts weren't around whether to play football or not. Heck, I am up for giving it a try. The discussion was over the complete lack of mask wearing by the student body at places like Alabama, referenced above.

Then, an ill-informed poster tried to claim that covid is "no big deal, guys". If so many ill-informed people, or people with political agendas, weren't downplaying the medical importance of wearing masks, we would potentially have a nice football season, and some semblance of normalcy. Instead, because we have so many ill-informed people, we risk destroying the season, and our national economy by the way, because of the continued bailouts required every few months that result from not getting the virus under control. For more details, head to Covid political room for discussion. Meanwhile, "wear and mask and we can enjoy football dipshits."

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

This is the aspect that "scares" me. The symptoms are so fucking all over the map with this thing, and not nearly enough is known about the long-term effects.

My wife's friend lives in New York, caught it in March, and hasn't left the hospital since. None of her symptoms seem life-threatening, but it's still, obviously, doing a number on her.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't play, but man the "they're 20 years old, they're not going to die" takes are cringe-worthy.

I agree. While the statistics support that death is highly unlikely, it is all of the uncertainty related to these infections due to lack of time to study them that is more concerning. Football players as a group are already engaged in high risk behavior in regards to concussions/CTE and all of the associated problems there. (in full disclosure my older son plays football, so I am not anti-football (younger son is too young but will also play if he chooses to)). So set against CTE backdrop it is not surprising that football players as a group & certainly coaches are less concerned re: long term impacts from Covid.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

on a prior page, one death was characterized as "outrageous"-- that's the standard you're trying to change

as HAL said, this conversation can serve no further purpose

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"they're 20 years old, they're not going to die" takes are cringe-worthy.

Stop cringing. Those takes mean they're 20 years old, they're not going to die from catching it, and they're likely to catch it whether they play college football or not. That last part is important. 

The parents of Ohio State players signed a statement indicating they were in favor of playing. Obviously any conscientious objectors can sit the season out, but if the vast majority of players and their families want to play, the sport should continue. The players and parents have considered the risks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Eastwood said:
1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Lol.  There are no special complications or symptoms compared to other pathogens?  Nice work there, doc.  Also being so sure nobody is going to die is quite a stance to take.  I had an All American division I athlete I personally know end up hospitalized for several days.  He is under 25.  He’s in MUCH better shape than your typical O-lineman.  It’s comical you’re getting that much support for what’s a pretty idiotic post.  

Read more  

My family isn't in Healthcare, but my wife used to be the manager of food services for a major provider in our city. We have friends that are in Healthcare and still at the hospital and they all have the same story. At one point in July, their designated COVID hospital overflowed into the next, and so on until all hospital ICUs in the system had their ICUs majority COVID. Flu patients don't take up excess ICU capacity like that, even during a bad flu outbreak. The flu argument is so weak. I haven't seen one credible healthcare professional make it.

Yeah but crimsonlonghorn stayed at a holiday inn last night.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah but crimsonlonghorn stayed at a holiday inn last night.  

rich coming from someone who never met a piece of anecdotal evidence he didn't think conclusively proved his point

you should change your screen name to IKnowAGuy-- ask one of the Lawyers You Know if you can do that

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Stop cringing. Those takes mean they're 20 years old, they're not going to die from catching it, and they're likely to catch it whether they play college football or not. That last part is important. 

The parents of Ohio State players signed a statement indicating they were in favor of playing. Obviously any conscientious objectors can sit the season out, but if the vast majority of players and their families want to play, the sport should continue. The players and parents have considered the risks.

That's all fine. I even agree. I get it: I'd want to play too if I was 20 years old and knew that my athletic prime was extremely finite. But it is possible to want football to return without deliberately brushing aside the real risks to themselves and the 100's of coaches and support staff required to make football happen. Luckily, that seems to be the direction that we're currently heading.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Agree.  If they play football, most are likely making a concerted effort to avoid getting it.  They want to play.  Their teammates want to play.  Their coaches are pressuring them to stay healthy. They have very little free time.

If they don't play football, all that goes away, and most likely just become regular students for the Fall.  

These are regular college students.....

Edited by Don Johnson

16 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

on a prior page, one death was characterized as "outrageous"-- that's the standard you're trying to change

as HAL said, this conversation can serve no further purpose

One death is a tragedy, a million deaths a statistic.  (approximate quote from Joe Stalin)

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Most will have no issues but I guarantee one, two, a hundred (I have no idea) will get very sick, maybe be hospitalized and maybe even die.  I guess that’s a risk worth taking so I can watch some college football though.

It's not about you, chief. It's about what the players and coaches want. 

There are already players on twitter bemoaning the state of their campuses because they don't want it getting shutdown. Football is these kids lives. Whether it should be or not is kind of moot. For some of them, getting to the next level is their only realistic chance at breaking the cycle. For some universities, playing football is the only way to not go deep into the red. If everyone involved with playing the games is okay with the risk then it isn't up for me or you to decide, it's in the hands of willing participants. If campus ADs and medical professionals and lawyers need to shut it down despite what players and coaches want then they'll have to take it in stride and move on. But, it doesn't seem like that is the case yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

But it is possible to want football to return without deliberately brushing aside the real risks to themselves and the 100's of coaches and support staff required to make football happen. Luckily, that seems to be the direction that we're currently heading.

I'm not denying there are people out there like this, just that they're too busy calling into the Mark and Melinda show on KLBJ-590 AM to post in this thread.

50 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I fucking love how, in today's society, people can so easily convince themselves that they're critical, independent thinkers because they choose to go against the grain of, you know, experts when it's convenient to them.

Wait, no I don't.

I like how they also always include "if you would just do your own independent research" meaning the cook "doctor" on youtube who finally said what they want to believe, so everyone else is wrong.

Classes start today in person at OSU. This weekend they reported a sorority house is on lockdown after 23 members tested positive (they would have been in town the last week or two). Video from the weekend circulating of packed bars including a dance club with kids bumping and grinding from wall to wall. I'd say half or more of the student body at OSU comes from small towns and they probably believe the youtube video and memes their great aunt shared on facebook about conspiracy. This shit ain't going to fix itself. A shit ton of campuses are going to have major outbreaks before Game 1 and shit will all get cancelled. If they manage to get a few games in, it will still get shut down with outbreaks on campus.

The one thing I see some credibility to is the argument that players might very well be at lower risk through the regiments of playing sports, including the testing and containment efforts within the locker room. But they are not paid and cannot be contained in an NBA-like bubble. They are students on a campus full of idiot kids. It can only work if the rest of campus can manage to avoid outbreaks. And then you need your opponents to be able to do the same thing. If campuses have outbreaks, I don't see football being feasible, even if the roster is relatively negative on testing at the time of the outbreak. It will only be a matter of time before they catch it. If campus gets locked down and students sent home, I don't think football players should be playing. There is just something wrong with "student athletes" being the only students on campus. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, tex 2005 said:

Based on what we know about CTE effects later in life, letting 18-22 year olds play football these days is at best criminal negligence when you really think about it.

That should be of far greater concern for this particular sport long term, but somehow it always gets forgotten. Where’s the outcry?

It absolutely is criminal negligence that we allow them to take those long-term risks while simultaneously outlawing them from profiting on their likeness. Hell, if they were compensated, I bet the decision whether to play now would be a whole lot easier.

Boom. Thread detail within a thread derail.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, 'stache said:

I like how they also always include "if you would just do your own independent research" meaning the cook "doctor" on youtube who finally said what you want to believe, so everyone else is wrong.

see, I"m the opposite, I like people who think doctors can be divided into two categories: the ones who are right and agree with me, and the "cooks"

because as with everything else in this country, there can't be a legitimate difference in conclusion after looking at facts, there's just the side that knows the right answer and their opponents, the mendacious and stupid

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:
23 hours ago, Neonmoon said:
I know this site is mostly full of old assholes, but are there no current students to tell us how much of a shitshow it is or is not on the UT campus?

Dorms haven't opened yet and classes don't start for another week or two. So mostly TBD.

There were people moving into dorms all weekend.  Two good friends of mine were moving their kids in for sure.  

1 minute ago, SwanderedTalent said:

see, I"m the opposite, I like people who think doctors can be divided into two categories: the ones who are right and agree with me, and the "cooks"

because as with everything else in this country, there can't be a legitimate difference in conclusion after looking at facts, there's just the side that knows the right answer and their opponents, the mendacious and stupid

If there was a 50-50 split, or even 80-20, then there might be reasons to doubt the majority view. The majority is overwhelmingly on the same page, so yeah, the others are cooks, especially the ones on youtube who think alien sperm is medicine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I like how they also always include "if you would just do your own independent research" meaning the cook "doctor" on youtube who finally said what you want to believe, so everyone else is wrong.

Classes start today in person at OSU. This weekend they reported a sorority house is on lockdown after 23 members tested positive (they would have been in town the last week or two). Video from the weekend circulating of packed bars including a dance club with kids bumping and grinding from wall to wall. This shit ain't going to fix itself. A shit ton of campuses are going to have major outbreaks before Game 1 and shit will all get cancelled.

The one thing I see some credibility to is the argument that players might very well be at lower risk through the regiments of playing sports, including the testing and containment efforts within the locker room. But it can only work if the rest of campus is managing outbreaks. If campus outbreaks, I don't see football being feasible, even if the roster is relatively negative on testing at the time of the outbreak. It will only be a matter of time before they catch it. If campus gets locked down and students sent home, I don't think football players should be playing. 

Completely agree with all of this. If kids are on campus, go ahead and play. If not, it makes no logical sense to field a football team full of "student athletes."

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

rich coming from someone who never met a piece of anecdotal evidence he didn't think conclusively proved his point

you should change your screen name to IKnowAGuy-- ask one of the Lawyers You Know if you can do that

lol, you realize ChiTownDoc is actually a practicing MD? I think it's fair to say he has more expertise in the field of medicine and disease than you or I or most surly posters

31 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Challenge with talking about this is that it is very easy for A) both sides to be right and B) both sides to just speak over each other. In looking at mortality rate for Travis County one can make the statement that college age kids that catch CV19 will not pass away. There are two cohorts that Travis County provides data for in the age group that college kids can/will be in (in particular football players)

10-19 (0.05% mortality rate)

20-29 (0.03% mortality rate)

Let's pretend the numbers are correct and that the mysterious uptick in deaths during the pandemic is just that, an unrelated mystery.   

So lets unpack this a bit.  Using your number that works out to about 221 dead student athletes.   Let's ignore the coaches, trainers, bus drivers, hotel workers, and families of these people and keep our focus only on the players.   What are the longterm health impacts of the disease or are there any?    What does recovery, as it is being reported mean? 

-----

I would encourage others to hand out negs to stop the dangerous spread of misinformation.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

uphauling.

11 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Nobody said it's a hoax. Or an "election year takeout", whatever that means. I think it's 100% real, just overhyped and overreacted to at this point given the data we now have about the risk factors and vulnerable populations. 

I think caution was prudent six-months ago. Hell, I was a proponent of "15 days to flatten the curve". Because there was a lot of stuff we didn't know and we were worried it could be bad. 

But now that we now what we know, there's no need for society to act like it's the Spanish Flu Part 2. It's super risky to certain populations and very low risk to everyone else. Young and healthy people under age 65 are unlikely to die from it and there are no special complications or symptoms compared to other pathogens and the prevalence of complications does not appear to be that much higher than for other infections, which wasn't that high to begin with.

Plus, treatments have gotten better and fewer people are dying in the hospital like they were in April. 

The "hoax" part has to do with the continued hyped reaction to it from the media despite the data to the contrary. If it bleeds it leads and if it makes a divisive republican president look bad, all the better, but there is simply no justification for the continued hype and overreaction given the data we have now. Young people testing positive is meaningless. Most of them aren't going to be sick and none of them are going to die. There is no need for positive tests to be cited as some kind of bad omen or evidence of a "mistake". 

About those lock downs...

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1