College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

18 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

But you are bad at sarcasm. 

I have met those people in real life, in an academic settings, so this is something to me not to joke about, because people fucking believe this bullshit.    I know, I go fuck right off and try to lighten up, like Francis.

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

I would say if there is one death related to this season that would be outrageous. 
I would similarly say it would be outrageous if there were no virus and officials decided to ignore lightning interruptions and someone were killed because of it. 

You do know there are 10 - 12 deaths from football every year, already, right? 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I have met those people in real life, in an academic settings, so this is something to me not to joke about, because people fucking believe this bullshit.    I know, I go fuck right off and try to lighten up, like Francis.

I assume anyone smart enough to log on to the computer and post on a UT message board isn’t a moon landing Truther. 

• Haha 1

Meanwhile at Liberty, good 'ol Hugh Freeze claims the Flames have had no cases--because no one is showing symptoms. Of course, they haven't tested  anyone in two weeks so...

Liberty is a scheduled non-con opponent for thee ACC teams this year.

ACC eyes Liberty's coronavirus testing protocols ahead of nonconference football games

After concerns were raised about coronavirus testing at Syracuse and Florida State earlier this week, testing protocols at Liberty University are now under the microscope for a trio of ACC schools scheduled to play the Flames this season.

On Thursday, Liberty coach Hugh Freeze praised the school's strong numbers, saying the team had not had a positive COVID-19 test in three weeks, but he added that the school hadn't actually performed a single test in the past two weeks because no players showed symptoms of the virus.

"We've gone over two weeks without even having to have to test because no one's screened with any symptoms," Freeze told the (Lynchburg, Va.) News and Advance. "Everyone's out of quarantine. We haven't had a positive in over three weeks."

While the number of asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 is difficult to gauge, the World Health Organization suggests as many as 80% of people infected with the novel coronavirus show mild or no symptoms, and the majority of student-athletes testing positive since returning to campus have been asymptomatic.

EDITOR'S PICKS

ACC protocols currently only require schools -- including nonconference opponents -- to screen all players, coaches and support staff weekly beginning with the start of the regular season. NCAA guidelines put out in July suggest Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing should be done weekly during all preseason activities.

"The ACC has clear testing protocols in place. We have communicated those protocols and expectations with Liberty if this game is to occur," an official from NC State, which is scheduled to play Liberty on Nov. 21, said Friday.

NC State's contract with Liberty would require a $2 million buyout to cancel the game within 12 months of competition unless a force majeure clause was enacted. Liberty is set to earn $1.1 million to play the game.

At Syracuse, players sat out of Thursday's scheduled practice due to concerns about insufficient testing on campus. It marked the third time Syracuse players opted out of practice in a little more than a week because of safety concerns. On Friday, athletics director John Wildhack called the situation "a miscommunication." Coach Dino Babers had said the school was testing bi-weekly, and players were dissatisfied with that.

Wildhack confirmed Syracuse would be testing weekly during the preseason and three times per week once games begin.

Syracuse is scheduled to play Liberty on Oct. 17. ESPN has reached out to Syracuse for a statement on Liberty's current testing model.

An official at Virginia Tech, which plays Liberty on Nov. 7, declined to comment publicly on any communication between the two schools regarding testing.

The SEC is playing a conference-only schedule this fall, while the ACC and Big 12 will have one additional nonconference game. A number of ACC schools, including Clemson and Notre Dame, do not yet have a nonconference opponent scheduled.

In its plan, the ACC required "all nonconference opponents must meet the medical protocol requirements as agreed upon by the ACC."

Liberty University's guidelines do not require testing without symptoms and suggest testing for asymptomatic students is voluntary. The school competes in the Atlantic Sun Conference but is an independent for football. The A-Sun postponed fall sports amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Liberty released a statement saying the school continues "to meet all guidelines set forth by Liberty University, the local Department of Health, the Commonwealth of Virginia, the ASUN Conference and the NCAA in terms of its return to campus policies and procedures."

The NCAA guidelines suggest "surveillance testing" during the summer, which would include biweekly testing of a reasonable percentage of players and staff. However, once camp begins, that baseline was supposed to be raised to include "weekly PCR testing of all athletes, plus 'inner bubble' personnel for whom physical distancing, masking and other protective features are not maintained; additional testing for symptomatic and high contact risk individuals."

Liberty held its first practice of fall camp on Aug. 7.

Freeze said Monday that the team had "a few" positive cases and that those players "were not extremely sick in any manner," according to the News and Advance.

"I think our medical team that we lean on for advice and for protocols, we've been very, very conservative and tried to if there was any chance someone was in the contact tracing, we certainly put them in quarantine pretty quickly to try to protect them," Freeze added.

Liberty defied a statewide order banning gatherings of more than 10 people in March, welcoming students back to campus. At that time, school president Jerry Falwell Jr. said in a release that Liberty had put precautions in place to protect students.

"We have a great story to tell," Falwell Jr. said at the time. "We think Liberty's practices will become the model for all colleges to follow in the fall, if coronavirus is still an issue."

Falwell took a leave of absence from the university earlier this month.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

You do know there are 10 - 12 deaths from football every year, already, right? 

This doesn’t matter to the naysayers. You can’t compare such a serious situation to other causes of deaths, see. Those other deaths don’t matter as much, so just one death from  the COVID is too many. Because this is so serious. We’re not talking about relative risk, denier, we’re talking about this specific risk. Ergo any data you might have that provides a wider context is irrelevant. You don’t have a clue. Ask my 70 year old mom. I don’t want her to die because kids can get myocarditis from any infection. I want to keep her around and that means we have to panic and not get back to normalcy ever until no one ever gets sick ever again. Go fuck yourself troll. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I assume anyone smart enough to log on to the computer and post on a UT message board isn’t a moon landing Truther. 

I wouldn't make that assumption. This place isn't Texags but it has it's share of science deniers, conspiracy theorists and proponents of anti-intellectualism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That is not true of CTE. At all. You can thank the NFL for that. 

I think the cat is out of the bag for CTE now. NFL and the fans who long for the days of leather helmets and crack back blocks are hating the days of concussion protocol, only one full contact practice per week, and good players retiring in their 20s and early 30s.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Sure, but you can't get CTE because a handful of your teammates broke team rules by going to a house party.

Okay? You can't get covid if no one on your team has it. 

I mean I'm not arguing that the added risk to play this fall is worth it or not. I'm going to watch if they play, I'm not going to freak out if they don't. But acting like covid is somehow inherently more dangerous or mysterious than CTE is ridiculous. Do you realize how many high school players worth a shit never even get to play in college because of concussion histories? It's becoming a bigger number every year. And that's just one aspect without addressing things like heat stroke, sudden cardiac deaths, seizures, neck injuries, blown up knees et al.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Okay? You can't get covid if no one on your team has it. 

I mean I'm not arguing that the added risk to play this fall is worth it or not. I'm going to watch if they play, I'm not going to freak out if they don't. But acting like covid is somehow inherently more dangerous or mysterious than CTE is ridiculous. Do you realize how many high school players worth a shit never even get to play in college because of concussion histories? It's becoming a bigger number every year. And that's just one aspect without addressing things like heat stroke, sudden cardiac deaths, seizures, neck injuries, blown up knees et al.

We're going to argue in circles around each other on this. My point is that there are enough inherit dangers in football that we don't need to add another. Yours is that football is a dangerous sport, so what is one more? But you have your head in the sand if you haven't seen the increasing discussion about the future of football, the safety of athletes, and more and more parents being hesitant to allow their kids to play.

And COVID is more inherently dangerous to a football team than CTE. Coaches won't get CTE from standing on the sidelines. Athletic training personnel won't get CTE from being in the training room. A strength and conditioning coach won't get CTE from being in the weight room. Students on campus won't get CTE from a player sitting in class after a coach covered up his concussion symptoms so he's available to play on Saturday.

58 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This doesn’t matter to the naysayers. You can’t compare such a serious situation to other causes of deaths, see. Those other deaths don’t matter as much, so just one death from  the COVID is too many. Because this is so serious. We’re not talking about relative risk, denier, we’re talking about this specific risk. Ergo any data you might have that provides a wider context is irrelevant. You don’t have a clue. Ask my 70 year old mom. I don’t want her to die because kids can get myocarditis from any infection. I want to keep her around and that means we have to panic and not get back to normalcy ever until no one ever gets sick ever again. Go fuck yourself troll. 

Your mom's a year older than Miz Long. I'd like to keep her around, too. We've had a grand total of two (2) deaths here in the county  "from covid-19". One was an 89-year-old who had about sebbentylebben other diseases, and the other a 69-year-old who was at a bit over two years since his final medical advice to get his affairs in order because he'd be dead in three to six months. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

And COVID is more inherently dangerous to a football team than CTE. Coaches won't get CTE from standing on the sidelines. Athletic training personnel won't get CTE from being in the training room. A strength and conditioning coach won't get CTE from being in the weight room. Students on campus won't get CTE from a player sitting in class after a coach covered up his concussion symptoms so he's available to play on Saturday.

You're acting like the only place these people can get covid from is on the field or in practice. Like they don't have lifes outside of football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're acting like the only place these people can get covid from is on the field or in practice. Like they don't have lifes outside of football.

Well you set up protocols for that. You break the protocols you don't play anymore that season. How difficult is it?

As always a great @aslavitt thread down below. Really hopeful news regardless of sports implications. Also note the NBA played a role in funding and development of these tests.

So where does Adam Silver go for his apology! (idk who needs to apologize, just haters in general I guess)

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Bartles said:

As always a great @aslavitt thread down below. Really hopeful news regardless of sports implications. Also note the NBA played a role in funding and development of these tests.

So where does Adam Silver go for his apology! (idk who needs to apologize, just haters in general I guess)

Great news. Way to go NBA, glad to see them using that China money responsibly and judicially. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

29 minutes ago, Bartles said:

image.gif.20d20cd3930e6a1827c3fcff8e1fc0b0.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

The only thing that has changed is the amount of candidates to choose from. The Playoff Committee will still choose 4 teams using their eyeball test. 

The Big 10 and PAC-12 can play in the spring if they want (narrator: they won’t) and crown themselves Rose Bowl champs. 

I’m sure there will be an asterisk next to the season anyway with conference only schedules, etc, but the Team holding up the trophy won’t give a shit and neither will their fans. 
But the fans of other teams (including those who played the season) will never let the champs of this seaon forget their trophy is tainted. I'd rather win it on on a non zombie apocalypse year.

Of course thats not saying I wouldnt be proud af if we manage to pull it off, just sayin,

Does the NCAA have a quarantine protocol in place or will this be up to individual conferences?

Are individual players quarantined for two weeks or is the entire team isolated for a few days to find out if it has spread? I am curious how this will be handled if some players get sick a day or two before a game.

So,

Oklahoma has 1 positive test while the team is doing team things- they take a 6 day break and they come back with 9 positive tests?

But we are absolutely sure playing football is worse for them the. Not playing football via a bus the spread of the disease?  Right. Media once again beclowning themselves with false narratives or false choices as to danger to willing participants. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Unless they bubble the players and allow them little to no interaction with the rest of the student body, they're going to get it. OU had zero positives the last 2 weeks. Then students move in and there's 9 positives. oSu had 23 students test positive from an off-campus sorority. UNC had a 3rd cluster pop up at a fraternity. Students are going to get it, then the players are going to get it. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So,

Oklahoma has 1 positive test while the team is doing team things- they take a 6 day break and they come back with 9 positive tests?

But we are absolutely sure playing football is worse for them the. Not playing football via a bus the spread of the disease?  Right. Media once again beclowning themselves with false narratives or false choices as to danger to willing participants. 

You’re such a fucking bitch - wah the media, boo hoo. 

The majority of the OU positives were students who stayed on campus during the 6 day break.  It’s student population spread.  We shouldn’t have anyone on campuses, period. No athletes, no students. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1