College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Agreed, which is why college football isn't going to happen.

Without a central authority and oversight, it’ll be next to impossible. Colorado State has already hired an independent firm to see what the fuck Steve Adazzio was doing to hide COVID test results and threaten student athletes. The firm they hired will charge up to a million dollars to investigate.

13 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Without a central authority and oversight, it’ll be next to impossible. Colorado State has already hired an independent firm to see what the fuck Steve Adazzio was doing to hide COVID test results and threaten student athletes. The firm they hired will charge up to a million dollars to investigate.

Bc it’s Colorado State.  Ohio State would be charged a cool 10M plus.  

2 hours ago, alphahorn said:

if the the big 12, acc and sec play without an absolute meltdown, then i'd hate to be a big 10 or pac 12 coach on the recruiting trail next year 

Not sure. If there isn't a meltdown, then those leagues will play next year. Why would it have a huge impact on future players? And in fact, some parents might like the "they were more careful with their kids, they care about them more" aspect, and Mom and Dad sometimes have a say. Depends on a lot of things, including what happens with eligibility, etc.

2 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Speaking of lawsuits, how about this hypothetical scenario: NFL fringe Player X from the Big 10 or PAC 12, who misses their senior season, has to watch as college football succeeds in completing their COVID season, then decides that he could have made it to the NFL if he'd been able to play (Joe Burrow effect) and is encouraged to sue the conference for lost future earnings. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

This doesn’t prove that you didn’t come into the restaurant with covid or that you weren’t one of the lucky ones based on air circulation patterns, but contracted the virus later at another location. If anything, this shows just how difficult causation is to prove. You could be sitting one table over from a group of infected and not be exposed. Suing someone and proving that an infected person or employee was there isn’t factually sufficient evidence of causation. Not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2

If an attorney ever told me to ignore something that could potentially get me sued, I'd fire that attorney immediately. Attorneys are to explain how to do what management wants done, not to advise management on what to do or not to do.
Also, defending against even frivolous suits takes resources. No one can control whether suits are filed against them. The mindset has to be to undertake every reasonable precaution so that if a suit is filed, as many options as possible exist for limiting both litigation costs and damages.
There are going to be baseless "virus related" suits filed en masse. Factor that in from the start.

No they don’t, and no there aren’t. Frivolous lawsuits are like unicorns. On the rare occasions when they occur, they are rapidly dismissed and usually at the cost and expense of the plaintiff.

There are already 150,000 potential wrongful death cases. Where are all the tens of thousands of lawsuits? Where are all the tens of thousands of lawyer advertisements for these cases?

Your post reads like that of a tort-reforming insurance industry propagandist.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob Lives! said:

No they don’t, and no there aren’t. Frivolous lawsuits are like unicorns. On the rare occasions when they occur, they are rapidly dismissed and usually at the cost and expense of the plaintiff.

There are already 150,000 potential wrongful death cases. Where are all the tens of thousands of lawsuits? Where are all the tens of thousands of lawyer advertisements for these cases?

Your post reads like that of a tort-reforming insurance industry propagandist.

sir, you might want to change your tone

do you realize you are talking to the foremost authority on all things aggy?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I think this is about unionization for the B1G and PAC. I don't actually think it's about the virus at all. One only needs to read Barry Alvarez's comments yesterday to see that they're not particularly concerned about player well-being. They ARE looking out for their business interests. Period.

My issue is not their deciding to cancel as much as the really transparent bull shit about player safety. Just be honest and stop hiding behind player safety. 

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Take a look at baseball, specifically the Marlins fiasco. Some players broke protocol and got sick.  They then played a team spreading it to them and their staff. So, yes, while the "off campus" activity may have lead to members of the team contracting the virus, the organized team sport helped spread it to other teams and staff.

Huh, I didn't know the Marlins were a college team.

College athletes not playing this fall are going to be attending parties and still spreading the virus. Anyone who thinks differently doesn't spend much time around college students.

I was trounced pretty hard (I suppose rightfully so) for suggesting that A&M might, or might not, have sovereign immunity as implied in the bonfire diaster. It turned, after I 'looked it up myself' that they ended up settling for a seven figure amount. This does not bode well for similar cases if contact tracing tracks an infection spread right through a football game/practice. The problem isn't that you couldn't nail down a specific starting point. The problem is that if there is anybody along that contact path that is seen to have a lot of money (conferences, universities, NCAA, coaches and AD's), enough to pay for medical expenses and such, then they are the ones who get named in the suit.
And the bigger problem here is that it isn't just players/coaches/staff. It's anybody they've had contact with and so on who gets infected and subsequently is hospitalized and/or dies. The number of people on that class action threatens to be geometrically larger than would be the case if it was just those directly involved in the competition. And I'm fairly certain that a larger number of plaintiffs gives a lot more credibility to a class action moving forward. I believe this is what has scared the Big Ten and Pac. What this means for the Big XII, SEC and ACC, I'm not sure.
Just so we're clear, FULL DISCLAIMER: I'm hell and far away from being a lawyer, not even an internet one.

Google “TTCA sovereign immunity A&M bonfire” if you’re interesting in reading up on that. I’m not particularly familiar with that decades long suit, but the sovereign immunity issue went up to both the US and Texas supreme courts, and if recall correctly, came down in Aggie’s favor. Lawyers pursued private individuals and entities in that case who did not have immunity. Now, imagine a case with questionable evidence of causation, if any, questionable issues of negligence (breach of the duty of ordinary care) and a potential assumption of the risk defense, and let me know how many lawyers you find ready to sink the next 20 years of their career into that case. No thank you.

I admit, when/if a player dies, someone may try to make a case out of it, just as they often do in heat exhaustion and other football-related death cases. But the financial exposure here is minimal, particularly in comparison to the money guaranteed to be lost by cancelling the season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Born Burnt said:

Huh, I didn't know the Marlins were a college team.

College athletes not playing this fall are going to be attending parties and still spreading the virus. Anyone who thinks differently doesn't spend much time around college students.

You're making my point. If you are conceding that the players will be getting and spreading covid, why in the world do you want to then ship those players all over the state to interact with others including people at risk?

Or is your position simply, "people are gonna get it, so no reason in trying to mitigate that risk?"

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Foosters said:

You're making my point. If you are conceding that the players will be getting and spreading covid, why in the world do you want to then ship those players all over the state to interact with others including people at risk?

Or is your position simply, "people are gonna get it, so no reason in trying to mitigate that risk?"

My point is that everyone is worried about sports spreading the virus, but there are other things that are going to spread it much more. 

If we feel allowing sports – even with all the monitoring and control – is dangerous to the point where we need to cancel it, then students should stay home and attend classes online.

Edited by Born Burnt
grammer is tuff
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Foosters said:

They're going to be tested 3 times a week during the season. If they don't play, they won't.

Just now, Tex Pete said:

They're going to be tested 3 times a week during the season. If they don't play, they won't.

Right. I brought up MLB, which also has testing. So far, they've had some major hiccups, but I was told that its a poor analogy. Hopefully, the NCAA attempt fares better.

4 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

My point is that everyone is worried about sports spreading the virus, but there are other things that are going to spread it much more. 

If we feel allowing sports – even with all the monitoring and control – is dangerous to point where we need to cancel it, then students should stay home and attend classes online.

I am more worried about the fans than the players. I sure wish they would play in empty stadiums like MLB.

But boy is it weird watching MLB these days. Some big exciting play happens and the only sound you hear is the dugout cheering often muffled by masks.

Edited by Valmy77

2 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

If we feel allowing sports – even with all the monitoring and control – is dangerous to point where we need to cancel it, then students should stay home and attend classes online.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, and I do agree that there are other things that are going to spread it much more. I'm just not confident that they can pull it off. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Take a look at baseball, specifically the Marlins fiasco. Some players broke protocol and got sick.  They then played a team spreading it to them and their staff. So, yes, while the "off campus" activity may have lead to members of the team contracting the virus, the organized team sport helped spread it to other teams and staff.

That’s cool. How many of those people died?

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Right. I brought up MLB, which also has testing. So far, they've had some major hiccups, but I was told that its a poor analogy. Hopefully, the NCAA attempt fares better.

MLB has done a tremendous job thus far not panicking and just treating it like an ordinary illness or injury. Which it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

If we feel allowing sports – even with all the monitoring and control – is dangerous to the point where we need to cancel it, then students should stay home and attend classes online.

Maybe you noticed that a lot of them are doing that?

Also, educating students is the primary mission of a university, while sports is not (*).

(*) excepting LSU and Auburn.

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

169,848 COVID deaths in the US as of right now. Ordinary illness my ass. 

What makes COVID so shitty is its ability to live in people asymptomatically. What a sneaky fucking disease. 

Most people with other diseases are obviously sick and stay home or people avoid them. Not so with this son of a bitch. I sure hope that vaccine comes through soon.

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That tremendous job is on the verge of forcing them to play in only a handful of cities.

But yeah, they're doing great. 

And that's without it being a contact sport, and involving a fraction of the number of people that CFB would require.

I think the NBA is showing the only way to do contact sports is with the bubble.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Well considering baseball has had plenty of infections and no deaths since they started play, I would think the conferences trying to play in the fall have a better chance of winning that argument. The absurdity in all this is thinking that the only tenable option is a 0% infection rate once the games begin.

There has literally been no one suggesting that 0 infection is the only tenable option.  But you already knew that, and you knew that you're only smart enough to argue against strawmen.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Born Burnt said:

That's my point as well. If college campuses were closed, then no football makes some sense. If campus is open, playing football, in my opinion, adds ZERO risk. Both for the players and the people they interact with. Coaches and others can opt out, but they are being paid. If you need to be "onsite" to do your job, then do it or quit.

33 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Actually, the total dead from Covid-19 is likely much higher.

You can use facts and data as much as you want to, the "ordinary disease," "it's just a flu," "it's not dangerous" crowd will not believe you.  The common response to the death number, as well as the almost universal conclusion that deaths are being undercounted, is that, in fact, the deaths are vastly overcounted.  That every single death is counted as C19, hospitals are incentivized to classify every patient as C19, and you have to separate deaths WITH C19 from deaths BECAUSE OF C19.  They'll cite you to a case of their friend, or cousin, or even themself, that didn't even TAKE a C19 test but received a C19 diagnosis in the mail.  

See, the deniers take the position that the people dying would have died anyway because of old age, or cardiac issues, or pulmonary issues, and the inconvenient fact that they had C19 is immaterial, and just being used by the crazy media/elite conspiracy to destroy our country and institute complete government control over every aspect of our lives. 

They scoff at your death numbers.  

Meanwhile, the family and friends of those 169,000, or 210,000, or whatever the number is, are not scoffing.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Of the 324, how many were 18-22 year old athletes? You can be fatalistic all you want and think everything, everywhere should end but understand not everyone thinks that way. Including the players and coaches. I assume to you their opinion matters? 

And 324 did not die that day. 324 more deaths were reported which occurred over the previous week or longer. Twist.

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

My issue is not their deciding to cancel as much as the really transparent bull shit about player safety. Just be honest and stop hiding behind player safety. 

Yeah I’ll agree.  I think there’s legit smoke with fear about college players organizing and that’s at least a part of the reason to call it - if not the main reason.  This isn’t a group of people that has a track record of caring about players.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I don’t. I negged you for being stupidly repetitive. And with outdated information no less. 

Gotcha, if oudated information upsets you, I would suggest not aligning with the posters who post things like "this is an ordinary illness."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1