College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

August is the month of outbreaks to be sure. If campuses have to start re-closing or even "pausing", it's not gonna matter whether the players are getting it. Quite a shame with this SalivaDirect testing news.

Speaking of which, anyone want to be the person answering phones or checking emails at Big Ten, Pac 12, Nebraska, Ohio State, etc. on Monday? That story is getting major play even with headlines like:

...did the Big Ten and Pac-12 act too soon in canceling fall football?

Still, this may prove to be a very big deal, and it may have been prudent to wait for all available technology to present itself, and even become available for use.

One major factor is that SalivaDirect is almost immediately scalable. Nearly any lab in the country, and especially any attached to a university, already has the ability to process the tests right now. It is expected that tests could begin by the start of the school year, or the end August.

4 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Your mom's a year older than Miz Long. I'd like to keep her around, too. We've had a grand total of two (2) deaths here in the county  "from covid-19". One was an 89-year-old who had about sebbentylebben other diseases, and the other a 69-year-old who was at a bit over two years since his final medical advice to get his affairs in order because he'd be dead in three to six months. 

Well, I guess y'all have it all figured out then.  If your shit county doesn't have it, then it isn't a problem anywhere.  

Edited by Nivek

2 hours ago, ousux said:

But the fans of other teams (including those who played the season) will never let the champs of this seaon forget their trophy is tainted. I'd rather win it on on a non zombie apocalypse year.

Of course thats not saying I wouldnt be proud af if we manage to pull it off, just sayin,

this might be the dumbest statement regarding the MNC.   Fans making fun of our MNC

BYU in 1984 has the most bullshit MNC of the last 50 years, and almost everyone knows that... yet they still get to claim the MNC.     

USC has a "tainted" 2004 national championship yet, everyone still lets them claim that and no one really gives them any shit. 

and this is the same college footbal group where no one batted a fucking eye when aTm suddenly claimed 2 bullshit MNC's from the  teens..... as in the 19-TEENS  in 2012 when they joined the fucking SEC

They now proudly claim 3 national championships.  

trust me,  the "tainted" win will only be razzed by the direct rival of whoever wins the damn thing. 

3 hours ago, ousux said:

But the fans of other teams (including those who played the season) will never let the champs of this seaon forget their trophy is tainted. I'd rather win it on on a non zombie apocalypse year.

Of course thats not saying I wouldnt be proud af if we manage to pull it off, just sayin,

Auburn fans don't care at all when we remind them of Cam Newton. Just like us Astros fans don't either. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Bartles said:

As always a great @aslavitt thread down below. Really hopeful news regardless of sports implications. Also note the NBA played a role in funding and development of these tests.

So where does Adam Silver go for his apology! (idk who needs to apologize, just haters in general I guess)

Just read that thread and a couple others about the new test. First bit of news that has me feeling optimistic about college football and much more in too many fucking months. Thankful for the work of the Yale School of Public Health and the research funding by the NBA. The commitment to make the new testing protocol available for free to ROTW is awesome to say the least. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Well, I guess y'all have it all figured out then.  If your shit county doesn't have it, then it isn't a problem anywhere.  

You prolly pattin' yerself on the back for coming up with that fine prose after only one edit. You should be, because your conclusion is pretty much on, irony or no.

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

Unless they bubble the players and allow them little to no interaction with the rest of the student body, they're going to get it. OU had zero positives the last 2 weeks. Then students move in and there's 9 positives. oSu had 23 students test positive from an off-campus sorority. UNC had a 3rd cluster pop up at a fraternity. Students are going to get it, then the players are going to get it. 

Sure. But they act like playing football is uniquely dangerous to the disease. We are seeing the positive tests disappear and reach (or approach at lest) zero when engaged in team activities. It’s probably the safest environment for the players. Life is risky for everyone during a pandemic. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Eastwood said:

The fact that this keeps getting trotted out there as some kind of justification for charging forward with the season just shows that people still aren't understanding the nuances of this pandemic. Of course there are inherent risks with football. Of course. But these risks are fully known and can be mitigated with proper care across all levels. From CTE all the way down to random meningitis outbreaks at water fountains. How well these risks are mitigated depends on everyone from the administration all the way down to the athletic training staff. CTE can be mitigated with concussion protocol, less full pad practices, and better tackling and blocking techniques, for example.

Despite everyone around here and out there slinging articles at each other about the virus, there is still so much that we don't know about COVID. We've had literally over a century to figure out how to mitigate the dangers that already exist in football. We've had 6 months with COVID and if all of this uncertainty is evidence of anything, it is that there is yet to be a medical consensus about what is safe and what is not. The long term effects on players is of great concern. Death for young people is still a real possibility. The retort will be "those odds are low." There are 130 Division I football teams with 85 scholarship players per squad, plus support staff, coaches, and scout teams. So, around 120 to 150 people specifically dealing with the day to day around the team. That's around 16,000 people. How many deaths of those 16,000 is acceptable? How many of those 16,000 will deal with unexpected long term issues for the rest of their life? Sure, well over half of these guys will have a bum knee, shoulder, or intermittent headaches for the rest of their life, but they knew that going in. They knew that all of that could happen on the field. They didn't know that they might lose half of their lung function or develop an arrhythmia or lose a kidney because of a house party.

This is a game, guys. It will still be there when this is all over with. Give these players a free year, get them into Zoom classes, find ways to keep them in shape, and let's play on in 2021 when all of this is behind us. I'm just as desperate for normalcy as all of you. Let's be patient, be kind to one another, put on a mask, and get all of this in the rear view as quickly as possible with as few avoidable casualties as possible.

Solid post and you make some good points. And it's nice to see a post absent the histrionic "if all you cocksuckers would have just worn masks, we'd have football now!"

This entire thread is a pretty good sampling of the larger COVID debate, albeit with all the Surly charm, and it will be interesting to revisit in a few months once things hopefully start to move past the hysterical stage. 

"We've had literally over a century to figure out how to mitigate the dangers that already exist in football." This is true, though CTE could be considered a "novel" danger comparatively to the others. And much as how knee injuries are no longer career-ending due to the improvements in treatment, so too with COVID after these last 6 months. Treatments have clearly improved. We aren't doing the same shit we were doing in April, and the virus, for whatever reason, has become far less deadly. Many scientists have written about the T-cell response and herd immunity. Many have discussed the seasonality of coronaviruses. No matter what side of the debate you choose, one thing we do know for certain with this disease is that 80% of the deaths have occurred in people over 65 years of age, and most of the deaths outside that age group had other health issues, including obesity. And no, despite what the scales tell you, a 20 year old 300 lb football player is not "obese" the way a trailer park Okie is. "The unknown longterm effects" is a red herring, and is impossible to refute at this stage.

The reason people keep bringing up CTE is due to the fact that the longterm effects of that disease are actually known, yet they are "mitigated" now through protocols and other shit which we all know are likely not a genuine preventative to the issue. Concussion Protocol is used to manage a problem inherent in the sport, not stop it from ever occurring. COVID will be treated the same way. They will attempt to mitigate risk and do what they need to do to manage the situation. CTE will still happen despite all efforts to mitigate, and players will test positive for COVID. And if we aren't going to stop playing football for one, we shouldn't stop for the other. It has nothing to do with "you can't catch CTE standing on the sideline." You could also say that you can't eradicate a virus by shutting down the economy, putting healthy people in quarantine, killing businesses and keeping children out of schools. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. But they act like playing football is uniquely dangerous to the disease. We are seeing the positive tests disappear and reach (or approach at lest) zero when engaged in team activities. It’s probably the safest environment for the players. Life is risky for everyone during a pandemic. 

Team activities with no one else on campus. Add 20-60,000 other students, plus staff, plus bars, plus parties, plus families and it is a different story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fastbreak said:

Team activities with no one else on campus. Add 20-60,000 other students, plus staff, plus bars, plus parties, plus families and it is a different story. 

Yeah- but there’s also no safe place for an 18-22 year old. Period. That’s the things people aren’t getting. Playing football under the proper protocols is not uniquely dangerous. Not if testing is done right. We don’t see infections for UFC for example because it’s someone clean fighting someone clean. 
put it this way- I bet the infection rate of those guys is less during season than if they all got sent home or roamed campus without football in their life. 

33 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Solid post and you make some good points. And it's nice to see a post absent the histrionic "if all you cocksuckers would have just worn masks, we'd have football now!"

This entire thread is a pretty good sampling of the larger COVID debate, albeit with all the Surly charm, and it will be interesting to revisit in a few months once things hopefully start to move past the hysterical stage. 

"We've had literally over a century to figure out how to mitigate the dangers that already exist in football." This is true, though CTE could be considered a "novel" danger comparatively to the others. And much as how knee injuries are no longer career-ending due to the improvements in treatment, so too with COVID after these last 6 months. Treatments have clearly improved. We aren't doing the same shit we were doing in April, and the virus, for whatever reason, has become far less deadly. Many scientists have written about the T-cell response and herd immunity. Many have discussed the seasonality of coronaviruses. No matter what side of the debate you choose, one thing we do know for certain with this disease is that 80% of the deaths have occurred in people over 65 years of age, and most of the deaths outside that age group had other health issues, including obesity. And no, despite what the scales tell you, a 20 year old 300 lb football player is not "obese" the way a trailer park Okie is. "The unknown longterm effects" is a red herring, and is impossible to refute at this stage.

The reason people keep bringing up CTE is due to the fact that the longterm effects of that disease are actually known, yet they are "mitigated" now through protocols and other shit which we all know are likely not a genuine preventative to the issue. Concussion Protocol is used to manage a problem inherent in the sport, not stop it from ever occurring. COVID will be treated the same way. They will attempt to mitigate risk and do what they need to do to manage the situation. CTE will still happen despite all efforts to mitigate, and players will test positive for COVID. And if we aren't going to stop playing football for one, we shouldn't stop for the other. It has nothing to do with "you can't catch CTE standing on the sideline." You could also say that you can't eradicate a virus by shutting down the economy, putting healthy people in quarantine, killing businesses and keeping children out of schools. 

Johnny Mack caught CTE on the sideline!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Js1 said:

NCAA does nothing to coordinate any efforts, then gets mad when 3 of the Power 5 conferences decide to play (which it appears the NCAA was against).  NCAA retail sites by canceling the Fall championships it can control without any effort to see what would work.  This is now about the NCAA trying to retain some control and relevance.  IMO, this is the beginning of the end of the current NCAA model.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

NCAA does nothing to coordinate any efforts, then gets mad when 3 of the Power 5 conferences decide to play (which it appears the NCAA was against).  NCAA retail sites by canceling the Fall championships it can control without any effort to see what would work.  This is now about the NCAA trying to retain some control and relevance.  IMO, this is the beginning of the end of the current NCAA model.

Agreed, NCAA grasping at straws. I’d expect to see more and more of this from them as well as big10/pac12.  They’re going to try to dunk over everyone once the first asymptomatic case comes through or someone gets the sniffles. 

34 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Damn.  “Retail sites” = “retaliates” 

10 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Thanks for responding with actual discussion. Your post, in total with mine, is where I think the true debate lies. I think the two reasonable sides to this are those that think COVID is here to stay, or at least here for a couple of years so we need to learn to live with it, and those that think we can get COVID minimized to the level of SARS or MERS if we shut things down for a year or less. Either way, I think the situation is way more complicated than a lot of people are willing to concede.

The problem with all of your last sentence is compliance. We have to put healthy people in quarantine because following the rules appears to be hard. It has certainly been confusing due to all the conflicting information out there, but compliance has been very difficult to maintain. Adults all the way down to kids have problems following the rules necessary to buy us time to reach a medical solution to all of this. If coaches and players want to trot out hashtags about letting them play, I think there should be serious consequences for breaking the rules regarding testing, social distancing, and reporting. We're already starting to see that they want to disregard the rules. Let's be honest, if these teams treat COVID rules like recruiting rules, then the season will never happen.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

No doubt the NCAA cancelled the other sports championships to get back at the conferences that have decided to play this fall.  I would not be surprised if the Big 10 did not lean on them to do so.  I personally think the NCAA is a bloated bureaucracy that needs to replaced.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, immamac said:

I don't think there's any way forward for the seasons. I think the big xii and acc are at least proceeding with caution. The SEC schools are going full retard. 

There's a really good chance this all gets called off by the presidents of universities if students come to campus, there's an outbreak and they send everyone home. It's just stupid to think that 18-22 year olds are doing to make the right choice when we know the big spike in Texas at least was from bars opening back up and drunk people just not caring about anything but partying. When I was 18-22  any age I can think of all I wanted to do was fuck bitches and get drunk. 

fixed for everyone

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Welp it was a nice thought at least.

So bars/clubs aren’t shut down in Oklahoma? 

I know the shut down in Texas won’t prevent college students from partying, but at least those sized gatherings won’t happen in Austin. Or maybe I’m incredibly naive and rationalizing for my hope that we actually start a football season in a few weeks. 

20 hours ago, Eastwood said:

We're going to argue in circles around each other on this. My point is that there are enough inherit dangers in football that we don't need to add another. Yours is that football is a dangerous sport, so what is one more? But you have your head in the sand if you haven't seen the increasing discussion about the future of football, the safety of athletes, and more and more parents being hesitant to allow their kids to play.

And COVID is more inherently dangerous to a football team than CTE. Coaches won't get CTE from standing on the sidelines. Athletic training personnel won't get CTE from being in the training room. A strength and conditioning coach won't get CTE from being in the weight room. Students on campus won't get CTE from a player sitting in class after a coach covered up his concussion symptoms so he's available to play on Saturday.

tell that to John Mackovic

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Good, the NCAA is useless

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I know this site is mostly full of old assholes, but are there no current students to tell us how much of a shitshow it is or is not on the UT campus?

It's everywhere, even Villanova had like a thousand kids partying (outside) with no masks this week. Unfortunately those aren't one-off events, that will be every weekend everywhere. Not much chance FB players can avoid those kids for very long.

You can do instagram searches for campus bars and look for their recent tags. I did it a little bit in Auburn and Baton Rouge and see some obvious violations. Not sure where to look in Austin, the 6th Street places actually show people with masks for the most part.

19 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Well you set up protocols for that. You break the protocols you don't play anymore that season. How difficult is it?

that's called a bubble and it costs a metric fuckton for 300 people a week times 130 schools.  it also means the student athletes have to forego the in-person student part of the equation. which means no parties and no poon.

which defeats the purpose of having them "on campus".

espn and all of the big sponsors should have ponied up for a 10-week bubble for each P5 league and be done with the charade.

football goes on.  and anyone that wants to finish their degree gets to continue that pursuit in the spring.

or, imagine this, take REMOTE ONLINE CLASSES from inside the bubble!!!!  i heard they do that now.  the online class thing.

16 hours ago, Bartles said:

August is the month of outbreaks to be sure. If campuses have to start re-closing or even "pausing", it's not gonna matter whether the players are getting it. Quite a shame with this SalivaDirect testing news.

Speaking of which, anyone want to be the person answering phones or checking emails at Big Ten, Pac 12, Nebraska, Ohio State, etc. on Monday? That story is getting major play even with headlines like:

...did the Big Ten and Pac-12 act too soon in canceling fall football?

tap the brakes people.... this test STILL REQUIRES a lab.  it's not like a pink/blue pregnancy test.  it is a lot less expensive, but unless you have a lab set up on site, the sample still has to go to a lab.  it is NOT instantaneous unless you are at a lab, or the lab is where you are, like inside the bubble.... that doesn't exist.

• Hook 'Em 1