I. Need. A Lawnmower.

So I apparently made a mistake buying a basic Craftsman mower from Sears, because the piece of shit ran for about 8 mowings before going tits up.  Figured out it was the carburetor, ordered a replacement (they're PLASTIC for God's sake) and that worked great, until it didn't.

Never ran it on anything but premium gas, drained before winter, etc.  Didn't matter.

So what is the go-to basic lawnmower that might actually last a decade and doesn't have a fucking PLASTIC carburetor?  I'm hearing "Honda" for engines.  I don't need any features besides a bag for clippings, as the mow-able part of my yard is small (~ 7 pallets of sod, so maybe 1/12 acre?).  I don't need self-propulsion, I don't need electric start.  I just need a mower that will reliably work.  Thoughts?

I've had back to back Toros and they have been great.  Because I didn't clean the underside of the first one, ever, the chassis eventually rusted through.  B&S engine never failed.  The new one has a clean out thing for the water hose which makes it very easy to clean.  Personal pace driven which equates to me holding a beer while mowing.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

I’ve had this Honda for 4+ years and it’s been great. Probably the best push mower I’ve ever used.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-21-in-3-in-1-Variable-Speed-Gas-Walk-Behind-Self-Propelled-Lawn-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216VKA/203709643

just got this same mower a few weeks ago...kicks ass

I’ve got a Troybilt 3 in 1 with a Honda engine on it. The biggest complaint I have it the auto choke.

Same. Same. I wish there was some way to add a throttle.

Thanks Obama!

Also, I have never called self-propelled "push." I understand that they aren't "riding," but they ain't "push".

For that small of a yard? Get the echo electric from the depot. You could probably mow that 3 times on a charge. No gas, no oil, starts every time.  

If you just feel better about gas, get a Honda. Your kid will be using it to mow your lawn when you're in diapers. 

Another vote for Honda. Bought one six years ago and still going strong. Buy the gas without ethanol added and the carb pretty much takes care of itself. I also found that if you use the on/off gas switch and let the gas run out when you finish mowing will keep the carb from gumming up. 

Yeah, it kinda bums me out to think that blowing out the gas tank at the end of a mow is what it takes, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about doing that.

I'm surely not the only one who made movie money as a teenager hauling an old B&S mower all over kingdom come, and they NEVER failed.  Modern technology sucks.

I'll consider the electric option.  It's just about the easiest yard in Austin.

Edited by jimmyjazz

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, it kinda bums me out to think that blowing out the gas tank at the end of a mow is what it takes, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about doing that.

I'm surely not the only one who made movie money as a teenager hauling an old B&S mower all over kingdom come, and they NEVER failed.  Modern technology sucks.

I'll consider the electric option.  It's just about the easiest yard in Austin.

Those b&s motors were undefeated. Like pussy. I pushed a reel mower from the 50's in the 80's and that fucker wouldn't quit. I hated it. I wanted a cool new mower that didn't have as metal catch basket. 

What my 12 year old self didn't realize is that mower cut like a razor. I would pay 1000 dollars for that mower right now. 

I use the TruFuel in my weedeater and blower, but just add fuel treatment to the gas for the mower. Hopefully that helps a bit. Ethanol is some bullshit.

I’m the same way. I can buy ethanol free gas at a couple of stations so I do that for my mowers. If I have to use regular gas, I’m not real worried because it doesn’t sit that long.
Those b&s motors were undefeated. Like pussy. I pushed a reel mower from the 50's in the 80's and that fucker wouldn't quit. I hated it. I wanted a cool new mower that didn't have as metal catch basket. 
What my 12 year old self didn't realize is that mower cut like a razor. I would pay 1000 dollars for that mower right now. 

We had one as a yard decoration. Even with rusty blades it cut dang good. They still make those if you really wanted to use one.

I have a cheapo corded electric mower.  For a small yard it works well as long as you don't let the grass/weeds get too long or thick.  I got it because it was cheap and I just needed something, but I haven't had any reason to replace it.   Honestly the cord doesn't bother me add much as I'd thought.  

11 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Got an Ego. It’s great. Fast as shit. Mows good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got one, too.  Had it for about 3--4 years at this point.  It powers through small limbs and other yard debris just fine.  Love not having to worry with maintenance.  Not a huge yard.  Not a small yard. 

15 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Got an Ego. It’s great. Fast as shit. Mows good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, dcbc said:

I've got one, too.  Had it for about 3--4 years at this point.  It powers through small limbs and other yard debris just fine.  Love not having to worry with maintenance.  Not a huge yard.  Not a small yard. 

I'm thinking about going eGo when my current gas mower dies. I have their trimmer and blower and they both kick major ass. Make me very happy that I'll never have to fuck with maintaining a two stroke engine again in my life.

If the OP wants gas though, Honda engines are the way to go IMO. And I say that as a person that hates the Honda corporation with the power of a thousand suns and hopes they go out of business. Note that you don't have to pay the premium for a Honda mower to get a Honda engine. I've got a Husqvarna with a Honda engine currently. Starts on the first pull every single time, cuts great.

I made the switch to a battery/cordless electric mower like a year or two ago for a similarly sized yard. Wish I would have done it as soon as battery tech allowed. Cuts more than fine, folds up small for storage, I don't deal with the maintenance of a gas mower, and I don't run over or have to avoid the cord like I see my neighbor doing with his corded.

This is the one I use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-20-in-40-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Battery-Walk-Behind-Push-Lawn-Mower-5-0-Ah-Battery-and-Charger-Included-RY40180-Y/304597920. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

I'm thinking about going eGo when my current gas mower dies. I have their trimmer and blower and they both kick major ass. Make me very happy that I'll never have to fuck with maintaining a two stroke engine again in my life.

Been eyeing the blower and weedeater for a while.  I had a corded B&D mower that lasted me 9 years.  Got a rider after that that lasted about 5.  Craftsman after that lasted about 2.  Went back to electric and am loving it.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, pops said:

For that small of a yard? Get the echo electric from the depot. You could probably mow that 3 times on a charge. No gas, no oil, starts every time.  

I got one of these last year.  I feel stupid I didn't get one sooner.  

It's incredibly light compared to a gas mower.  

Plus, the carburetor doesn't clog when I go April-October without mowing and forget to empty the gas tank.

Edited by Beau Vine

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I got one of these last year.  I feel stupid I didn't get one sooner.  

It's incredibly light compared to a gas mower.  

Plus, the carburetor doesn't clog when I go April-October without mowing and forget to empty the gas tank.

And when I mulch the ton of leaves that accumulate every week, the air filter doesn't clog because no air filter.

Been eyeing the blower and weedeater for a while.  I had a corded B&D mower that lasted me 9 years.  Got a rider after that that lasted about 5.  Craftsman after that lasted about 2.  Went back to electric and am loving it.

I have been very happy with the trimmer and blower so far. Excellent power and I can use them both for my 8,000 sf lot on one charge of my 2.5 Ah battery. Only complaint that I have is their OEM trimmer cord is trash. Buy a spool of good stuff at Home Depot and wrap your own.
  • Like 1

I've got a 12 year old lawn machines Home Depot special that has run like a top for most of its life.  Occasional oil changes and a carb cleaning is all it's ever asked for.  Ran on regular gas too and I never worried one bit if the gas was old or not. Probably even has the original spark plug. Briggs engine, no plastic parts where there should be metal.

I also have a 6 year old Toro 22inch recycler self-propelled mower that's been nothing but an unforgiving bitch goddess since I brought it home.  Seized up in the first season due to oil consumption, has had a broken starter cable, and off and on trouble with the self-propelled mechanism.  I'm handy enough to handle the problems myself, but my god, a mower shouldn't need this much TLC. 

This year, I'm giving these guys a shot: Robin Autopilot . They'll set me up in a couple of weeks and we'll see how it goes.  I'm on a half acre lot with a big dog and some and some 15 - 20degree inclines, so that little mowers gonna have its work cut out for it.

Edited by Chewy's Hairy Horn

i think you're in my neck of the woods, so if you're interested i'll let you have mine for next to nothing.

the kicker is that it's a...craftsman. i've only had to change the blade and do the simple maintenance stuff on it. haven't had any problems with it, but it has been sitting in my garage for about 2 years. it's about 9 years old. i think i might have other extra parts for it as well.

I will SELL.YOU.A.LAWNMOWER.  I bought a self propelled Husqvuarna (has Honda motor) from Lowe’s in 2013 and about to move to a house without a yard. Some scratches and such but runs good. Will discount appropriately and credit for Surly rep and non-Best Buy coupons. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

I’m on my second Toro. I ran the first one for 12 years with absolutely zero maintenance until one day it just wouldn’t start.  Never checked any oil, never cleaned out any filters, carburetors, or whatever else.    Just ran that bitch every week for 12 years until one day it  didn’t start. Put it on the curb, gave it away for free, bought another Toro that day.  That’s exactly what I expect from my lawnmowers and that’s what my lawnmowers should expect from me.  There’s no way I have time in my life to be doing maintenance on a fucking lawnmower.   

The one I just bought  has the handle that folds down and the mower stands vertically against the wall. I love it! It saves a lot of room in my garage. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Recycler-22-in-SmartStow-High-Wheel-Variable-Speed-Walk-Behind-Gas-Self-Propelled-Mower-20339/205026227

I’m on the fence. Honda above or Ego. Same price.

Anyone use an electric on Bermuda.

I have the self propelled Ego mower and Bermuda grass. It mows fine but isn’t great at mulching - if I go two weeks without mowing then it leaves a fair amount of clippings behind. The blade speed will ramp up if you’re cutting through thick grass, but there’s no way to tell it to ramp up all the time. Overall I’m pretty happy with it though.

28 minutes ago, GottaB said:

I was at Home Depot and the had a returned Honda. Looks new. $399 marked down to $280. No bag. Had them knock another $100 off.

New-ish Honda for $180. Good enough for me.

Who did you negotiate with, the cashier? I didn’t realize Home Depot was a flea market.