2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

Who would have thought that global warming was going to somehow teach me the Greek alphabet.

All it took was the destruction of people’s lives, property, and billions of $’s in damages.

I guess life is full of trade offs. 

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

LOL, but although MS-13 started with Salvadorans living in LA and then deported, it has spread across Honduras. 

I know.  I just wanted to make a "Honduras is poor" joke.  Gimme that.

Although, they get style points for being the last country in the world to use a fucking awesome Corsair in combat:

Vought-F4U-5NL-Corsair-Fuerza-Aerea-Hond

The last three air-to-air kills of piston engine fighters in history.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I know.  I just wanted to make a "Honduras is poor" joke.  Gimme that.

Although, they get style points for being the last country in the world to use a fucking awesome Corsair in combat:

Vought-F4U-5NL-Corsair-Fuerza-Aerea-Hond

The last three air-to-air kills of piston engine fighters in history.  

The Soccer War?

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said the storm had maximum sustained winds of 160 mph (260 kph). It was centered about 80 miles (130 kilometers) east-southeast of Puerto Cabezas, also known as Bilwi, Nicaragua and moving westward at 9 mph (15 kph).

Authorities warned that Iota would probably come ashore over areas where Eta’s torrential rains saturated the soil, leaving it prone to new landslides and floods, and that the storm surge could reach a shocking 15 to 20 feet (4.5 to 6 meters) above normal tides.

https://apnews.com/article/hurricane-iota-cat-5-central-america-6abd22f849896c7c3070de5ce5383615

oh no wtf GIF by STARZ

11 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua. A Cat 4 and a Cat 5 landfall 12 days apart. That is fucking unbelievable.

damn. is that a bullseye for both just some of the storm? haven't been following eta or this one too much but damn that's crazy

at least eastern Nicaragua is quite unpopulated. at least that's what I remember seeing. it will still powerfuck Honduras like Mitch did. 

fuck I feel so bad for those folks there. they have such a hard life. 

5 minutes ago, staboner said:

damn. is that a bullseye for both just some of the storm? haven't been following eta or this one too much but damn that's crazy

Yeah, Eta made landfall 15 miles south. Iota coming from a more southerly route and looking to make landfall in almost the same exact location. 

Puerto Cabezas taking the length on the North/East edge of the eyewall x 2 it appears.

• Hook 'Em 1

Almost stretches credibility that Mitch was barely in the headlines after killing 19,000 people in 1989, hitting roughly the same area.

I think the only reason that these storms won't is because they're probably are very few people in that area right now.

At least half of the people killed in Mitch were killed by 20 to 30 foot walls of mud that came down like a water surge and just buried people. Not my preferred way to go.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Almost stretches credibility that Mitch was barely in the headlines after killing 19,000 people in 1989, hitting roughly the same area.

I think the only reason that these storms won't is because they're probably are very few people in that area right now.

At least half of the people killed in Mitch were killed by 20 to 30 foot walls of mud that came down like a water surge and just buried people. Not my preferred way to go.

The rains from Mitch hit Tegucigalpa like a mofo and there is where most of the folks died I think. '98. Yeah, a wall of mud. fuck me.

I was there in 2005-ish I think. Traveling through and there was still damage. and the people still talked about it. 

well, its barely in the headlines now I think. sadly, no one cares about Central America much. At least not on our algorithms 

26 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Yeah, Eta made landfall 15 miles south. Iota coming from a more southerly route and looking to make landfall in almost the same exact location. 

Puerto Cabezas taking the length on the North/East edge of the eyewall x 2 it appears.

damn that's just crazy. there has to be some weather nerd out there trying to put this into historical context

Well at least y contrast, so far they've estimated "only" ~120 deaths from Eta. Obligatory every death is tragic but I think even in those places improvements in communication and the internet, and logistics make it a little easier to get people away as much as possible.

However, doesn't mean that they would get that lucky this time around, there still are a lot of little towns that could get decimated. Hopefully having some precautions last week will make it easier to ramp up again now.

Eta is supposed to head over to the western part of the country and rain itself out there which is it going to be too good for Tegucigalpa or Managua.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I tried to make a Puerto Cabezas/ Pets heads falling off joke but probably already been done somewhere in this thread and just not in the laughing mood with all of this.

just terrible terrible terrible 

It’s just muy loco in the cabezas if you ask me!