2020 Hurricane Season w/ special guest Covid-19

Loco

23 minutes ago, Dewey said:

spacer.png

(Black ties seems like a very narrow market for a cleaners.)

While the NHC and models seem pretty confident of a western LA hit, Port Arthur is still in the cone and models continue to edge west. 

Edited by clapclapclap
Hw would you like to have that job of putting up all those boards way up there?

8 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yep.

Two problems:
1) available crews
2) available shingles & lumber

A lot of these customers are already signed on with a roofing co. & they HAVE to be state licensed (which means you can't simply drive into town with a few semi-truck loads of shingles & start working).

So.....I should head over to Coonass Country with a semi full of blue tarps then.  Profit city.

Fuckload of rain in Lake Charles right now. Way more than Laura. The track today is favorable for us - Lacassine and Crowley about to get pounded though... I just hope we don’t lose power for more than a few days. It’d be nice to send the kids back to school sometime before June 2021.

@Hugo Stiglitz  what’s your twenty? I’m by the Port.

9 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

Yep.

Two problems:
1) available crews
2) available shingles & lumber

A lot of these customers are already signed on with a roofing co. & they HAVE to be state licensed (which means you can't simply drive into town with a few semi-truck loads of shingles & start working).

We had some shingles lift 4 weeks ago during Laura in Galveston and small drip in our living room. Called a couple of our normal roofers and they haven’t even called back at this point. Too many big jobs to bother with our small repair. 

29 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We had some shingles lift 4 weeks ago during Laura in Galveston and small drip in our living room. Called a couple of our normal roofers and they haven’t even called back at this point. Too many big jobs to bother with our small repair. 

Same. I learned how to shingle. Not hard to replace a square (see, I even know the terms) or two.  It's really just nails and prybars.  Took about an hour.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Same. I learned how to shingle. Not hard to replace a square (see, I even know the terms) or two.  It's really just nails and prybars.  Took about an hour.

Yeah...I have an issue with heights.  If humans were meant to be more than 3 feet off the ground we would have had wings.  A low slope 1 story roof i'd get up on.  This one is low slope, but its in Galveston and on stilts, so ~22' in the air.  No thank you.  

I did manage to get one quote in for a repair, and it was going to be 1600 to replace a squre.  That seemed excessive.  I thought it was normally closer to $6/sqft to replace a square.  

Edited by UT_OB1

28 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Yeah...I have an issue with heights.  If humans were meant to be more than 3 feet off the ground we would have had wings.  A low slope 1 story roof i'd get up on.  This one is low slope, but its in Galveston and on stilts, so ~22' in the air.  No thank you.  

I did manage to get one quote in for a repair, and it was going to be 1600 to replace a squre.  That seemed excessive.  I thought it was normally closer to $6/sqft to replace a square.  

That's a lot.  I got a quote in Houston last week of $1500 to replace 3 squares, two ridges, a chimney surround and flashing, and 5 vents.

19 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

That's a lot.  I got a quote in Houston last week of $1500 to replace 3 squares, two ridges, a chimney surround and flashing, and 5 vents.

DM sent.  I may actually just do the whole roof.  It is about time anyway.  

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

@deadshank , can you see about one of your folks do a side job?

38 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Unfortunately the have probably the best meteorology school in the US.

Then again, you are talking about an entire field that achieves about a 60% hit rate on their forecasts and are never fired for it. 

Them being "the best meteorology school in the US" is like being the smartest kid on the short bus.

6 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

There is no such thing as a “normal” roofer.  I mean just look at @ROFL BOX; his nose is cold.  See?

PM me if you still need help.  

My power is out in Beaumont. Its always the same streets/blocks that go down, and years ago we would have power while the surrounding neighborhoods would lose it. Im thinking the crew from Alabama that came over to restore power after Laura just did enough to get it working before taking off for SW LA. I may reach out to entergy when things settle down and see

I'm cool with it, wind is gusting to about 50 and its not hot. Deep freeze, freezer, and fridge are still not full after throwing everything away before evacuating in August.

Wind is eerie with no television weather folks to drown it out.

I need to be nicer to my wife. She just gave me the briefing on everything that could possibly go wrong in the next 12 hours.

I told her "you don't suffer well"

Tone.

I actually feigned a technical difficulty on a zoom call earlier so I could get laid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Unfortunately the have probably the best meteorology school in the US.

Not the best.  Top 10 but overall, nope. Good in Tornader stuff, probably #1 there, but all-around, nope.  Best meteorology schools overall are, any of these top 5: Cornell, Princeton, MIT, UCLA, and... sorry... aggy.

Right under these are Florida State, Ohio State, Rutgers, Washington, Miami, Michigan, Illinois.

All of these schools have big, honking, well developed multi-branch atmospheric sciences departments with lots of undergraduates and they land a lot of jobs. Most of the rest of the Nations might have a small department or two.

1 hour ago, BearSchlong said:

My power is out in Beaumont. Its always the same streets/blocks that go down, and years ago we would have power while the surrounding neighborhoods would lose it. Im thinking the crew from Alabama that came over to restore power after Laura just did enough to get it working before taking off for SW LA. I may reach out to entergy when things settle down and see

I'm cool with it, wind is gusting to about 50 and its not hot. Deep freeze, freezer, and fridge are still not full after throwing everything away before evacuating in August.

Wind is eerie with no television weather folks to drown it out.

I need to be nicer to my wife. She just gave me the briefing on everything that could possibly go wrong in the next 12 hours.

I told her "you don't suffer well"

Tone.

I actually feigned a technical difficulty on a zoom call earlier so I could get laid.

Power on in Lumberton all day.  Maybe I should shut off the breaker and sweet talk the Mrs into some action.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Heaviest shit of the day so far. Lost power for about 10 minutes but it came back up. House is flexing pretty hard.

IMG_2774.MOV 36.03 MB · 1 download IMG_2770.MOV 22.23 MB · 0 downloads IMG_2775.MOV

Why am I picturing @smuggs sitting in his house with winds howling with his spicoli grin on his face?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1