Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

57 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Posting false rumors I hope an Aggy moves next door to you 

They may be false rumors now, but it wouldn’t shock me at all. The way he was walking off, jr didn’t look good at all. Getting an MRI on his knee tomorrow morning. All you can do is hope for the best 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

The best thing about preseason is being done with preseason. A sport this physical and violent does not need a preseason that is a quarter of the regular season length.

I used to disagree on the grounds that. "Stop being a little bitch, you're a millionaire" but now, not so much.  Geez.  5 weeks of, you might end your career is a bit much.

• Like 1

Taco making what looks like a big leap would be enormous for Dallas, as it lets them play Crawford at the 3T or 2i and get something in the middle of the defense. Jourdan Lewis looked pretty bad tonight and I'm surprised at his lack of development from last season, I wonder if he's injured. 

If the price for Earl is a 1st or 2nd rounder I'm passing. Safety is good enough to get by this season without giving up that much. I would only make that move if I thought Dallas could win a Super Bowl this season, and I don't think Dak is good enough to do it.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

3 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Read on twitter that Martin blew his ACL, possibly his MCL too.  FUCK THE PRESEASON. /capsloko

2 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

They may be false rumors now, but it wouldn’t shock me at all. The way he was walking off, jr didn’t look good at all. Getting an MRI on his knee tomorrow morning. All you can do is hope for the best 

Taped up his ankle, getting mri on his knee.    

All seems legit. 

33 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’ll wait to take a sigh of relief after that MRI comes back with good results. Call me crazy, but Zack Martin is more important to this oline’s success than Tyron Smith when you consider what we’d have replacing them 

No one would call you crazy. Tyron has been the most important piece to this OL for a few years now. Martin and Frederick make this OL what it is now. 

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I used to disagree on the grounds that. "Stop being a little bitch, you're a millionaire" but now, not so much.  Geez.  5 weeks of, you might end your career is a bit much.

Not much is gained in the preseason. Everyone plays vanilla on offense and defense. Nothing exotic at all. Coaches know how good these players are from all the training camp practices and drills. Along with the scrimmages. So many players out there don't gain a damn thing from these games. The whole OL could not play one snap and be fine come opening day. They are getting enough reps in practices and scrimmages.

21 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m worried that dak was a one year wonder. His accuracy is really the thing that looks to be not up to par. Hopefully it’s a different story in the season

He’s definitely going to have to use his legs this year more than he has in the past, exposing him to injuries. Hopefully he’s taking notes from Russell Wilson on how to get down and get out of bounds.

8 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Connor Williams is starting to concern me. I know he's a rookie and its very early but he is getting beat pretty badly in both of these games. He has a lot of work to do.

I think he’ll look a lot better when he’s playing alongside Travis Fredrick. Being sandwiched between Tyron smith and Travis Fredrick will go a long way in helping him transition to guard. Gotta remember he’s never played there. I think he’ll be fine.

54 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m worried that dak was a one year wonder. His accuracy is really the thing that looks to be not up to par. Hopefully it’s a different story in the season

Dak sorta reminds me of mcnabb.  Not always the most accurate, but when he misses its usually in a spot where nobody can get it.  I think he'll be fine, especially with Zeke in there.

Gallup looks pretty smooth, but he and Rush couldnt get on the same page.  Not sure if thats on Rush, who looked lethargic, or on the rook.

I do like how we are spreading the ball around to different WRs.  Instead of teams locking in on Dez and Witten on 3rd down, we'll have multiple guys involved. 

Jaylen looks awesome.  He cleans up so much with his speed and power.  Seeing him toss 260lb Eifert like a rag doll was pretty impressive. 

I love the depth and size of our DEs.  They are gonna create a lot for our defense.  Especially if we are controlling the TOP with zeke, and they stay well rested.

Im getting close to done with the Rush experiment.  The line play was terrible, but he looks too complacent.  Id like to see us grab a veteran backup after the final cuts.  Preferably someone who's more mobile. 

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Connor Williams is starting to concern me. I know he's a rookie and its very early but he is getting beat pretty badly in both of these games. He has a lot of work to do.

I've seen him get beat too, but im not close to the worry point yet. Very few guys in the league can handle someone like Geno Atkins. 

The preseason is good for the bottom end of the roster but terrible for everyone else. Too risky for established starters.it should be two games, or the starters should not even dress for the first two. I never understood fans who attend these games. Are tickets cheap? Like when I attended an NIT game and for $20 sat in the big money donor section?

It's great that Jaylon Smith looks good as this was the best case scenario that he could be serviceable in year 3. The problem with it,  and why I still say it was a mistake to take him high in the 2nd round, is that you only get this season and next out of him before you have to pay him big money. That's problematic with the big money owed to Dak the same off-season and several others like Byron Jones that you'll have to make decisions on. Might have to let smith walk, and only getting 2 good seasons out of a high 2nd round pick is poor value. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DougO said:

Xavier Woods might not be ready by the first game, bad hammy.

Where are you seeing that? I heard the hammy didn’t have any significant damage, but didn’t hear anything in regards to a timetable. Not saying you’re wrong, but I’ve been looking for something like that and haven’t seen it anywhere.

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Where are you seeing that? I heard the hammy didn’t have any significant damage, but didn’t hear anything in regards to a timetable. Not saying you’re wrong, but I’ve been looking for something like that and haven’t seen it anywhere.

With FS Xavier Woods status for opener in doubt, Cowboys on hunt for safety help

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

chill@star-telegram.com

August 19, 2018 05:31 PM

Updated 2 hours 38 minutes ago

Frisco

While a trade for Seattle Pro Bowl safety Earl Thomas remains the proverbial elephant in the room, the Dallas Cowboys are now looking at all options for help at safety following an injury to Xavier Woods in the second quarter of Saturday’s 21-13 preseason loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.

Woods was diagnosed with a strained hamstring and, following a magnetic imaging exam on Sunday, his availability for the Sept. 9 season opener against the Carolina Panthers is in doubt.

Woods could be sidelined anywhere from two to four weeks, per a source.

It’s a setback for a Cowboys team that was already thin at the position behind Woods and strong safeties Jeff Heath and Kavon Frazier.

12 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

I've seen him get beat too, but im not close to the worry point yet. Very few guys in the league can handle someone like Geno Atkins. 

True. But when your man is in the backfield 8 of 33 snaps, that is a cause of concern. Especially for a high draft pick that will be starting. I am hoping he can get a bit more polished by the time the opener rolls around.

27 minutes ago, DougO said:

There will be more competition for Iloka than the typical camp cut, so he may not be that cheap. Not sure how serious the Cowboys are going to be if he doesn't come at a bargain rate.

You can't be thrift store shoppers all your life. They have plenty of money. The safeties we have now are not going to cut it, even without the injuries. This is the perfect opportunity. Being cheap already cost us Hitchens.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

You can't be thrift store shoppers all your life. They have plenty of money. The safeties we have now are not going to cut it, even without the injuries. This is the perfect opportunity. Being cheap already cost us Hitchens.

I agree with your idea, but in practice the Cowboys haven't been terribly willing to spend a lot on safeties. I think they would have opened the pocket book a little a couple of months ago if they were going to make an upgrade. There were a few guys out there that would have really helped, but they passed.