Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

Wait....I thought we didn’t like the NSA holding on to information that they don’t need. What’s the context of why the information was deleted? Is that business as usual?

Oh, never mind. I forgot we don’t look at context and research information any longer.

Sounds like the telecoms are required to maintain the records.  (Records of calls and texts, not the calls themselves.) The government can then get a FISA warrant to get the information.  But, when the government made the requests, the telecoms provided information outside of the scope of the requests. There is also a vague indication the information was "infected with some technical error" which compromised its reliability. So the NSA is deleting everything.

It's notable that there was a significant uptick in collection in 2017.  Maybe that was due to telecoms getting lazy and providing too much information, but maybe it has something to do with the Russia investigation.

The NSA collected more than 534.4 million details of calls and text messages in 2017 from American telecom providers like AT&T and Version, according to the most recent government report covering NSA surveillance activities that year. That was more than three times the 151.2 million collected in 2016.

The call records were part of an intelligence collection effort aimed at 42 targets in 2016 and 40 targets in 2017, according to the report. It defines a target as an individual, group of individuals, organization or entity

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/1/nsa-deletes-685-million-call-records-obtained-2015/

27 minutes ago, TornACL said:

It's bad because of WITCH HUNT!

Is he going to claim that all the phone calls and text messages that actually exonerate him, were deleted?  L-O-L.

If Mueller used any of the information collected (and I'm betting he is), I could see someone making a "fruit of the poisoned tree" defense to throw out the charges.  It wouldn't really work for Trump himself, because an impeachment wouldn't really be subject to the same rules, but I bet Manafort's lawyers are digging into this.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

So the collection was a privacy violation? Deleting phone records is a privacy violation?  I know it's a fools errand expecting the president to say something that makes the slightest bit of sense.  But JFC.

He doesn't need to make sense. The shovel and bucket team that walks behind him will clean the mess and make the sense.

Pooper%20Scoopers%20shovels%20were%20eve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

So be thankful that we're not involved in the war he was leading us towards?

ok.

ok.

yall see what's happened in this tweet, right?

it's more than simply touting some semblance of success (as much as it can be a success with the north koreans upgrading nuclear facilities this last weekend).

he is actively throwing the democratic party in with the press as something to be castigated. not only that, but he has continued his campaign of dehumanization. the press is "fake news" not to be trusted, and now the democratic party is the "Opposition Party", with caps to make sure the message is driven home. that, my friends, is despotic, chavez-style rhetoric.

this is exactly how chavez began his takeover of the venezuelan government. this is now officially kind of scary. combine that with the optics of our government celebrating OUR independence day in fucking russia, and it seem that they are actively trying to thumb their nose at american convention. 

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Wait....I thought we didn’t like the NSA holding on to information that they don’t need. What’s the context of why the information was deleted? Is that business as usual?

Oh, never mind. I forgot we don’t look at context and research information any longer.

It is just to have his people distrust any institution possible. It is pretty scary when you think about the history of authoritarians but then we become the crazies for bringing it up.

What if your neighbor, friend or family member supports the authoritarian regime?

Rule 1
Don’t look down on them, don’t patronize them, even if you know what they’re saying has no factual basis or you find it offensive. Don’t preach, ask questions. Try to understand them, where they are coming from, what their problems are and why they see solutions to them in the regime. Treat them as people, as equals. They believe what they’re saying is true and they might have valid reasons for their support.

Rule 2
Don’t get emotional, don’t get provoked into heated arguments. Fight the other side’s emotions with your calm, logical approach. The angrier they get, the calmer you should be. They’ll calm down eventually.

Rule 3
Focus on what you have in common. Do you live in the same neighborhood? Do you work in the same company or sector? The smaller the community, the easier it is. Give examples, like “we all need to get this done for all of us, if we don’t cooperate neither of us will have it”.

Rule 4
Use their language, don’t treat it as inferior or below you – don’t seem patronizing (see rule 1). If they curse, curse with them. If they approach you with humor, don’t get angry or uptight about it, reply with humor. Show them you’re actually not that different (see rule 3). As long as you communicate on two different planes, you will never meet.

Rule 5
Don’t block their news sources, don’t turn away from their leaders and authority figures. Treat them as an insight to their worldview and tactics. Use them to your advantage, to better prepare for their arguments. Whenever you don’t agree with something or detect a lie, voice it calmly, expose it with factual arguments.

Rule 6
Pinpoint the practical, negative effects of their side’s actions, ones that affect them directly. Find examples of how they, their families, children or friends will be personally impacted by their policies, or how it will affect your shared community.

Rule 7
If all else fails, don’t turn away, don’t abandon your friends and family, don’t shun your neighbors. Remember, an authoritarian wants to divide you to control you. So invite them over to your BBQ, crack open a beer, and who knows, maybe they’ll realize you’re not so different after all.

– With love, your Eastern European friends.

http://learnfromeurope.org/7-rules-on-approaching-authoritarian-supporters/

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

Does anyone know if it is typical for Trump to do with any other leaders?  Does he do private one-on-ones with Merkel or Macron?   

I would doubt it. Trump would do it though.  Macron and Merkel wouldn't. They hate each other and Trump is untrustworthy. Macron and Merkel would want a 3rd party there to invalidate Trump's lying tweet storm following the meeting. 

Where's Tailgunner Joe when you need him? These guys openly cavorting with Russian agents and leaders would have got them hanged if not lynched during the Red Scare. Now we have a Red Really Scary and they all sip cocktails and tell the FBI it's none of their business.

We keep sipping gourmet coffee, washing cars, and going to the beach. Or writing pithy shit on the internet. Just like Russians ourselves, we're beyond acting on outrage. We just live longer and in greater comfort.

A president under investigation for collaborating with an enemy of the United States will meet privately with that enemy with no witness or scribe. Could Congress vote to order Air Force One to leave his sorry ass in Finland?

4 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

This story continues to cycle and isn't going away.  By the time the investigation pulls back the curtain, the public will have been forewarned.

Printed today by McClatchy:

"On the returns, the group was required to identify its so-called “dark money” donors -- companies and wealthy individuals who financed $21 million of the group’s publicly disclosed pro-Trump spending, as well as its multimillion-dollar efforts to heighten voter turnout. The NRA’s nonprofit status allows it to shield those donors’ names from the public, but not the IRS.

A central question for Mueller’s office is whether any of the confidential donors’ names hold clues that could enable investigators to trace a donation camouflaged to hide its Russian origins – such as a shell company that might be the end point in a chain of offshore transactions.

It is illegal for foreign funds to be spent to influence U.S. elections."

All the back and forth travel and meetings in person between Russian actors and NRA officials stretches credulity that there was not knowledge on the NRA's part if the Kremlin was funneling massive amounts of cash into the election through them.  Mobsters don't give away cash without strings attached.

Edited by triplehorn

I don't think that moves the needle much at this point.  Nothing he says matters to his base and everyone else already loathes him.  I can't really think of anything that could be in the Apprentice tapes that will matter one way or the other.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I don't think that moves the needle much at this point.  Nothing he says matters to his base and everyone else already loathes him.

I still hold out hope for the bothsiders and think there is some new low that will finally get them off the bench. 

• Haha 1

I saw a Trump supporter the other day say “I can’t think of anything he could do to lose my support”. Imagine having that thought enter your head about the President. Sure he purposefully nuked San Francisco, but gosh darnit I still support him!