Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What is the worst case scenario you can imagine when they get here?

Their kids being put in prison camps and some of the adults killed by citizen do-gooders on the border who are overzealous. That would be horrible and my heart would hurt for that, but I can imagine it happening to your question.

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, seven said:

What specifically needs changed to stop this migrant horde from invading our clean nation? 

I think we should find a place for them.   Some place safe from the gangs. How does Chad sound?  Or Cameroon?  Maybe Bangladesh?

Edited by MixtyMotions
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

I think we should find a place for them.   Some place safe from the gangs. How does Chad sound?  Or Cameroon?  Maybe Bangladesh?

I don't know the answers. It's why I ask questions I guess.

Edited by Guest

There are good solutions to the problem.  But there isn't a good solution that can get 60 votes in the Senate.

One of the sad things about politics is that most politicians use problems as leverage to get something they want.  Just solving the problem misses an opportunity.   In this case both parties are using the issue.  When both parties would rather have the issue than a solution it won't get fixed.

• Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Top notch concern trolling from Tahoe and the cookie.

You can be concerned about the illegal immigrants and your status quo in Texas at the same time. Most people are a complex mixture of competing feelings, emotions and desires.

1 minute ago, seven said:

No answer to my question either ☹️

I didn't understand your question which I mentioned when I replied. Maybe smarter people than myself will give it a crack and we both can get an answer in that way.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You of all people don’t get to pull that card.

You own xenophobia and demonization of the other as a political platform. That stench is who you are, and the stench of your generation rotting in the grave will be perfume in comparison.

Capiche?

Fuck off.  You are wrong.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 8

I wonder if Trump and his advisors have a big board of items he can choose from to get his base and the media distracted from some other controversy. Saudi Arabia kills a permanent resident of the US and it's blowing back on Trump, quick, let's talk about changing language so transgendered is gone. That will throw people off our scent. 

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I didn't understand your question which I mentioned when I replied. Maybe smarter people than myself will give it a crack and we both can get an answer in that way.

The president of the United States is saying that laws need changed or else this specific migrant horde will invade our country. I'm asking what law needs changed?

We've never once had any sort of invasion problem in the previous decade of this event, what specifically makes you so afraid this year? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

"We'll get around to you eventually!"

lol (they won't)

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I wonder if Trump and his advisors have a big board of items he can choose from to get his base and the media distracted from some other controversy. Saudi Arabia kills a permanent resident of the US and it's blowing back on Trump, quick, let's talk about changing language so transgendered is gone. That will throw people off our scent. 

Yep.

Cultural wedge issue.  Distraction.  Squirrel! Turn out to vote or everyone will be forced to have sex changes when the Democrats are in charge!!!!

B_T is falling into the "react to everything Trump and the GOP are doing to change the messaging before the midterms instead of staying on message" hand-wringing by the national media.

14 minutes ago, seven said:

The president of the United States is saying that laws need changed or else this specific migrant horde will invade our country. I'm asking what law needs changed?

We've never once had any sort of invasion problem in the previous decade of this event, what specifically makes you so afraid this year? 

But I thought Chuckie said "this happens every year, nothing to see here" (and I googled it and saw a bunch of news about The Great Migration 2018 but nothing about previous years and spent a bit more than 30 seconds doing it).

To give an honest answer to your question, I'm not sure what can be done legally to avert this sort of behavior. It strikes me, a layman and not a politician or anyone with extensive research work in migration patterns/studies, that America has over time enabled a moral hazard and that is why we are the target (as opposed to those with firm and strict immigration laws, such as the hypocritical Canada for example) for migratory hordes of people. 

My feeling is that we are a bipolar nation. 50% of us loves one thing and 50% of us doesn't. Immigration is no different and while you have a ton of people who love the idea of migratory hordes of folks, you have a ton who don't. I don't know exactly where I fall, because I wrestle with competing thoughts and feelings about immigration as I mentioned before. I could give you a kneejerk emotional response, but that response would be different based on my mood. I think as a nation we'd be best served to admit this is a complex and problematic issue that a lot of people have mixed minds about and we should approach immigration reform with thoughtfulness.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

All those rapists and drug dealers are gonna take his job.

Why try and put words in my mouth when I answered directly like 20 posts ago?

16 minutes ago, seven said:

I believe he’s referencing wall funding and expedited due process, but I’m not sure it’s very feasible. Our immigration courts are overwhelmed and mobs of this size simply can not be processed without a major overhaul. 

I did give a heartily chuckle when Trump applauded Mexico for attempting to stop the migrants, as if they actually did. 

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Excellent use of "hordes".

Okay, use whatever descriptor synonym you want. I don't care. Hordes strikes me as the best imagery word when I see the photos. Maybe "army" would be better actually, based off photos and stills of the violence at the Mexican border.

3 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

I believe he’s referencing wall funding and expedited due process, but I’m not sure it’s very feasible. Our immigration courts are overwhelmed and mobs of this size simply can not be processed without a major overhaul. 

I did give a heartily chuckle when Trump applauded Mexico for attempting to stop the migrants, as if they actually did. 

You mean the wall Trump told us Mexico would pay for?

9 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

But I thought Chuckie said "this happens every year, nothing to see here" (and I googled it and saw a bunch of news about The Great Migration 2018 but nothing about previous years and spent a bit more than 30 seconds doing it).

To give an honest answer to your question, I'm not sure what can be done legally to avert this sort of behavior. It strikes me, a layman and not a politician or anyone with extensive research work in migration patterns/studies, that America has over time enabled a moral hazard and that is why we are the target (as opposed to those with firm and strict immigration laws, such as the hypocritical Canada for example) for migratory hordes of people. 

My feeling is that we are a bipolar nation. 50% of us loves one thing and 50% of us doesn't. Immigration is no different and while you have a ton of people who love the idea of migratory hordes of folks, you have a ton who don't. I don't know exactly where I fall, because I wrestle with competing thoughts and feelings about immigration as I mentioned before. I could give you a kneejerk emotional response, but that response would be different based on my mood. I think as a nation we'd be best served to admit this is a complex and problematic issue that a lot of people have mixed minds about and we should approach immigration reform with thoughtfulness.

Why try and put words in my mouth when I answered directly like 20 posts ago?

It literally happened last year.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

It literally happened last year.

I believe you. I googled "Migrant Caravan 2017" and there was literally one result on the first page that mentioned it from Mother Jones. If you weren't plugged in to this stuff last year, it can be difficult to know there is a history just based off what's reported in 2018 is all I was saying.

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

B_T is falling into the "react to everything Trump and the GOP are doing to change the messaging before the midterms instead of staying on message" hand-wringing by the national media.

Who determines what subject is "on message"? The DNC? Nancy Pelosi? Hillary's Consultants? Why isn't the protection of the transgendered something Democrats are happy to talk about? This isn't a ~*~ DECORUM ~*~ issue, it's a basic civil rights issue

The protection of the civil rights of American citizens is the most important thing there is in terms of governance.

Are Democrats only allowed to say 10 words per day and every word they spend on protecting the civil rights of vulnerable populations is a word they can't spend on healthcare?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

But seriously, how insane is it that there is a horde of people moving in unison up from the panama canal with their sights set on America (if that is even true, but it's what I've seen reported). It's like an army marching and we know it's coming. Are we fortifying the border? Sending any parties down to meet them and disburse them or repel them back? What the heck is Mexico doing here? Are they greasing their path because NIMBY or are they actually going to help us? Sheesh

Disburse?  Are they going to distribute them to ranchers as slaves or something?

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Disburse?  Are they going to distribute them to ranchers as slaves or something?

Disperse is what was meant. So, the idea being, once a huge monolithic group hits Mexico, ideally the Mexican authorities would have a way to disperse the group into a bunch of smaller groups that then assimilate into Mexico as ranchers or wage slaves, or something, as you said.

15 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I believe you. I googled "Migrant Caravan 2017" and there was literally one result on the first page that mentioned it from Mother Jones. If you weren't plugged in to this stuff last year, it can be difficult to know there is a history just based off what's reported in 2018 is all I was saying.

You're full of shit.  First result for "Migrant Caravan 2017": https://www.npr.org/2017/06/03/531347334/asylum-caravan-a-strength-in-numbers-approach-to-migration

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Okay, use whatever descriptor synonym you want. I don't care. Hordes strikes me as the best imagery word when I see the photos. Maybe "army" would be better actually, based off photos and stills of the violence at the Mexican border.

lol imagine being this guy

181016-caravan-honduran-migrants-guatema

ny-1539730000-0v7kxpr0vb-snap-image

la-1539816136-ykku9eppmx-snap-image

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You're full of shit.  First result for "Migrant Caravan 2017": https://www.npr.org/2017/06/03/531347334/asylum-caravan-a-strength-in-numbers-approach-to-migration

Went back and checked and you are right, there is a link hidden between two screen long blocks of videos from 2018's caravan that I missed. Sorry, two hits on the first page, but yea, we should all know this happens every year like clock work. Right after dove season and their migratory season, right? It is known?

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

lol imagine being this guy

181016-caravan-honduran-migrants-guatema

ny-1539730000-0v7kxpr0vb-snap-image

la-1539816136-ykku9eppmx-snap-image

I don't know what to tell you. It's sad that these people are marching from their homeland to America with what they have on and no food and water. It's sad these decisions are made. it's sad that they feel they must make these decisions if they truly feel like their government is going to kill them or whatever. But if it's simply a question of survival, stop in Mexico and find asylum. If it's in search of 'The American Dream and the Good life", then you are taking risks and putting your children at risk for the potential of a brighter future in a place where maybe a quarter of the population doesn't want you. Tough headwinds all the way around and God bless them.

I honestly can't say what I would do if I were in their shoes. 

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Went back and checked and you are right, there is a link hidden between two screen long blocks of videos from 2018's caravan that I missed. Sorry, two hits on the first page, but yea, we should all know this happens every year like clock work. Right after dove season and their migratory season, right? It is known?

Keep digging. You'll get out of the hole eventually bud.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

Keep digging. You'll get out of the hole eventually bud.

I admitted to being wrong about not seeing the link Charlie mentioned. Sorry for upsetting the apple cart by mentioning it!

2 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I don't know what to tell you. It's sad that these people are marching from their homeland to America with what they have on and no food and water. It's sad these decisions are made. it's sad that they feel they must make these decisions if they truly feel like their government is going to kill them or whatever. But if it's simply a question of survival, stop in Mexico and find asylum. If it's in search of 'The American Dream and the Good life", then you are taking risks and putting your children at risk for the potential of a brighter future in a place where maybe a quarter of the population doesn't want you. Tough headwinds all the way around and God bless them.

I honestly can't say what I would do if I were in their shoes.  

when I said "this guy", I meant you, as in...

- imagine being the guy who fills a diaper up when seeing a bunch of darker-skinned moms and dads marching with their kids in search of a better life...

- imagine being someone who thinks "horde" and "army" when seeing mothers with babies in their arms...

I admitted to being wrong about not seeing the link Charlie mentioned. Sorry for upsetting the apple cart by mentioning it!

you could stop talking that would be awesome

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Like 1

Just now, bad_teammate said:

when I said "this guy", I meant you, as in...

- imagine being the guy who fills a diaper up when seeing a bunch of darker-skinned moms and dads marching with their kids in search of a better life...

- imagine being someone who thinks "horde" and "army" when seeing mothers with babies in their arms...

The photographs I was referring to where the ones depicting violence and which showed the overhead view of miles of people looking like The Walking Dead en masse on a bridge. The macro look. When you look individually there are so sad stories and toddlers and women in Hugo Boss hats and such that are looking to escape a, dare I say, shit hole. I get that, and maybe we should treat individuals on an individual basis and look at it as a micro event as opposed to the macro, consequences come that may. 

You seem pretty sure of yourself and your stances and what you think you know. You'll forgive some of us who are a bit more confused and find problematic issues problematic.  

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

You're obviously well informed on the issue. 

I've heard conflicting things and obviously no monolithic movement will have the same message, but leaving because fear of death due to gang violence to leaving for better work (two of the many reasons I've seen quoted) strikes me as two completely different and stark differences; one being a reasonable risk to my 2 year old with no food on the road and engaging in a pursuit of illegal immigration and one being child abuse.

I don't know what is true and I guess you have to leave the ultimate estimation to the parents if we are to have any faith in each other as human beings.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, seven said:

And the democrat party wants to give every single name brand clothing wearing migrant a rolls royce.

Nope--creating more terrorists in the world seems to be their agreed solution. Then they can roll out new defense spending bills that keep their fat military contractors happy.

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Like 1

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
MOTHER OF EXILES. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

• Like 3