Donald Trump 2018

TheFlyingBoat

8 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I've heard conflicting things and obviously no monolithic movement will have the same message, but leaving because fear of death due to gang violence to leaving for better work (two of the many reasons I've seen quoted) strikes me as two completely different and stark differences; one being a reasonable risk to my 2 year old with no food on the road and engaging in a pursuit of illegal immigration and one being child abuse.

I don't know what is true and I guess you have to leave the ultimate estimation to the parents if we are to have any faith in each other as human beings.

You better acquiesce to their groupthink or you’re going to end up a social pariah and bigot like me. 

12 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The photographs I was referring to where the ones depicting violence and which showed the overhead view of miles of people looking like The Walking Dead en masse on a bridge.

know how I know you're racist?

When you look individually there are so sad stories and toddlers and women in Hugo Boss hats and such that are looking to escape a, dare I say, shit hole. I get that, and maybe we should treat individuals on an individual basis and look at it as a micro event as opposed to the macro, consequences come that may. 

Don't say "you" when you mean "I". Just because you're wrestling with Basic Moral Consciousnesses 101 doesn't mean others are.

Some people are perfectly capable of looking at the larger shots and NOT filling up our diapers in fear of a horde army of zombies. Some of us don't operate under the presumption that a large group of brown people is automatically a violent threat.

also, lol at "maybe we should treat individuals on an individual basis"...

Yeah, bro, MAYBE!

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

know how I know you're racist?

Don't say "you" when you mean "I". Just because you're wrestling with Basic Moral Consciousnesses 101 doesn't mean others are.

Some people are perfectly capable of looking at the larger shots and NOT filling up our diapers in fear of a horde army of zombies. Some of us don't operate under the presumption that a large group of brown people is automatically a violent threat.

also, lol at "maybe we should treat individuals on an individual basis"...

Yeah, bro, MAYBE!

How am I racist? Because this reminds me of a still from a popular tv show where tons of people roam forward together en masse? You can't even see skin color:

3254.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

You are operating from on angle and that's fine, but you are no better than those operating from the opposite angle as yourself. Again, you'll forgive me if I have competing and mixed emotions and feelings about immigration as I imagine a lot of people do.

And I love how you try and project on me as the one guy who finds things complex and complicated and everyone else is as arrogant and sure of themselves and their positions and what's best as you are. I'm reminded of the quote, which I think is topical considering America right now, "The problem with the world is only fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."

13 minutes ago, Chrispy said:

You better acquiesce to their groupthink or you’re going to end up a social pariah and bigot like me. 

end up one? no, you started as one, sorry to burst your bubble. but hey, live in denial all you want, doesn't change the fact that you are one

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Fuck off.  You are wrong.

I’m right as hell. Which is why you’re pissed. I hold up the mirror that forces you to see what a hideously ugly human you are.
The president of the United States is saying that laws need changed or else this specific migrant horde will invade our country. I'm asking what law needs changed?
We've never once had any sort of invasion problem in the previous decade of this event, what specifically makes you so afraid this year? 

Because the GOP motto is “we’re fucking pussies scared of our own shadow,” that’s why.

The party of 100% cowardice. It’s all about what to be afraid of. Not one thought about doing anything good.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

How am I racist? Because this reminds me of a still from a popular tv show where tons of people roam forward together en masse? You can't even see skin color:

So how did you come across these images? Someone just printed them out for you on a blank piece of paper? No, bud, you knew who the people in the photo were and your immediate, unconscious reaction was "HORDE!" "ARMY!" "ZOMBIES!"

Yes, that's how I know you're racist.

You are operating from on angle and that's fine, but you are no better than those operating from the opposite angle as yourself. Again, you'll forgive me if I have competing and mixed emotions and feelings about immigration as I imagine a lot of people do.

"Maybe NOT being racist is the same as being racist! After all, they are both things!" - Galaxy Brain

Edited by bad_teammate

3 minutes ago, achooloco said:

end up one? no, you started as one, sorry to burst your bubble. but hey, live in denial all you want, doesn't change the fact that you are one

Oh, you hurt me so good. I’m hoping this re-education camp on Surly can straighten me out. Being a racist, homophobe, bigot, etc. can be awfully lonely. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m right as hell. Which is why you’re pissed. I hold up the mirror that forces you to see what a hideously ugly human you are.

Because the GOP motto is “we’re fucking pussies scared of our own shadow,” that’s why.

The party of 100% cowardice. It’s all about what to be afraid of. Not one thought about doing anything good.

Will y'all humor me a thought I had the other day? It's not a derail, but might seem like one at first.

I was watching the Rodgers and Hammerstein movie "State Fair". Not the original one, but the cheesy remake with Pat Boone and centering around Texas instead of Iowa. One of the things that struck me, as someone who had went to the fair, is that the world certainly does change and demographics are a large reason why. The State Fair of 1960's had a car race and a bunch of other rural stuff focused heavily on agriculture/animals (the Cotton Bowl facade lookd the exact same btw). That was who we were as a society I guess, a largely white and agricultural centric place. Fast forward to the Fair today and it, too, is a reflection of our culture. We are heavily service economy and consumer oriented, so everywhere you go is a mini-QVC infomart for blenders and hot tubs and we are a fat, minority majority nation so fried beer and oreos are consumed in a place where fewer and fewer anglos dare go, but for the TX/OU game.

Anyways, I say all that to say you are right in that there is a lot of uncertainty and fear for a lot of folks about the future. They don't have a lot of faith and trust in the government to provide for them avenues to a middle class and the pursuit for happiness or whatever and I think they are scared that the institutions and things they once held dear are being overtaken by others, rendered unrecognizable due to the shifts in society, and replacing them.

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So how did you come across these images? Someone just printed them out for you on a blank piece of paper? No, bud, you knew who the people in the photo were and your immediate, unconscious reaction was "HORDE!" "ARMY!" "ZOMBIES!"

Yes, that's how I know you're racist.

"Maybe NOT being racist is the same as being racist! After all, they are both things!" - Galaxy Brain

I googled, as Charlie Finister prodded me to, and then google imaged. It's funny you accuse me of something more sinister because you only posted sympathetic photos and surely passed over some more problematic images of Hondurans rushing gates illegally. 

What is the story with this @dril guy that you love? I ask because you are a guy who appeals to no authority but his alone. You won't be humbled by anything (yet, I feel like caricatures like you are so arrogant in their beliefs and what they think they know often find life humbles them eventually) yet you love to reference this guy's tweets and identify with them greatly. Who is he and can you tell me more about it generally (as I back away and turn into a corncob or something, right?)?

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I googled, as Charlie Finister prodded me to, and then google imaged. It's funny you accuse me of something more sinister because you only posted sympathetic photos and surely passed over some more problematic images of Hondurans rushing gates illegally. 

What is the story with this @dril guy that you love? I ask because you are a guy who appeals to no authority but his alone. You won't be humbled by anything (yet, I feel like caricatures like you are so arrogant in their beliefs and what they think they know often find life humbles them eventually) yet you love to reference this guy's tweets and identify with them greatly. Who is he and can you tell me more about it generally (as I back away and turn into a corncob or something, right?)?

My name's Chuckie, you Chocolate Chip knockoff.

• Like 1

Nevermind, I found out. Dril is part of something called "Weird Twitter" and has a million cult followers for people who are weird. Color me completely shocked and surprised that bad teammate self-identifies and loves something called Weird Twitter and is himself a weirdo lol. I think that's why for all the reasons I shouldn't like B_T, I actually love him and think he is one of the best posters we have. Maybe it's my love for the absurd that I can't shake that I see in him.

@dril
A line art-style illustration of a smug-looking man with sunglasses and a cigarette in the corner of his mouth. He wears a military uniform, including a cape, medals, epaulettes, and an armband that displays the word "Pussy".
A self-portrait of dril from the book Dril Official "Mr. Ten Years" Anniversary Collection. The illustration is based on @dril's Twitter avatar, a blurry image of actor Jack Nicholson's face.
Other names wint (display name)
Years active 2008–present
Known for Absurdist tweets
Website @dril on Twitter

@dril is a pseudonymous Twitter user best known for his idiosyncratic style of absurdist humor and non sequiturs. The account, its author, and the character associated with the tweets are all commonly referred to as dril (the handle without the at sign) or wint (the account's display name), both rendered lowercase but often capitalized by others. Since his first tweet in 2008, dril has become a popular and influential Twitter user with more than one million followers.

dril is one of the most notable accounts associated with "Weird Twitter", a subculture on the site that shares a surreal, ironic sense of humor. The character associated with dril is highly distinctive, often described as a bizarre reflection of a typical male American Internet user. dril's tweets are frequently satirical.

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

My name's Chuckie, you Chocolate Chip knockoff.

My bad homie. We are all Hebrew brothers of the same tribe, ever since Noah's ark thing, ammirite?

1 minute ago, Continental Op said:

The State Fair is a scary place for the white man.  Vote Republican!  

I think we know the user behind the famed @Dril handle! Sporting tweet, I love it!

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Will y'all humor me a thought I had the other day? It's not a derail, but might seem like one at first.

I was watching the Rodgers and Hammerstein movie "State Fair". Not the original one, but the cheesy remake with Pat Boone and centering around Texas instead of Iowa. One of the things that struck me, as someone who had went to the fair, is that the world certainly does change and demographics are a large reason why. The State Fair of 1960's had a car race and a bunch of other rural stuff focused heavily on agriculture/animals (the Cotton Bowl facade lookd the exact same btw). That was who we were as a society I guess, a largely white and agricultural centric place. Fast forward to the Fair today and it, too, is a reflection of our culture. We are heavily service economy and consumer oriented, so everywhere you go is a mini-QVC infomart for blenders and hot tubs and we are a fat, minority majority nation so fried beer and oreos are consumed in a place where fewer and fewer anglos dare go, but for the TX/OU game.

Anyways, I say all that to say you are right in that there is a lot of uncertainty and fear for a lot of folks about the future. They don't have a lot of faith and trust in the government to provide for them avenues to a middle class and the pursuit for happiness or whatever and I think they are scared that the institutions and things they once held dear are being overtaken by others, rendered unrecognizable due to the shifts in society, and replacing them.

What in the ever-luvin' fuck?

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

One photo of the refugees that has been widely circulated this morning was actually taken in 2016 . . . near Copenhagen.

Not Copenhagen Mexico.  Copenhagen Denmark.

Hordes!

Which one? Share it and expose it! Was it the hordes of zombies on a bridge one I referenced? Boy would I have egg on my face! *whistles* *sings* "Our State Fair is the Best State Fair, Bet Dollars, to Donuts...." *whistles* *sings*

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

If Trump's compulsive lying wasn't bad enough, look what happens when you collaborate in good faith.  

listening to Pod Save America's early episodes is hilarious as the Jon-clones talk about how Obama was constantly mad at the Republicans for operating in bad faith but they're all so DECORUM! that they kept trying to work with Republicans anyway

Charlie Brown and Lucy

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

How do you think they fertilize the fields?

You know I love you, right? Will you come here and bring it in and give me an internet ((hug))?

3 hours ago, MixtyMotions said:

I think we should find a place for them.   Some place safe from the gangs. How does Chad sound?  Or Cameroon?  Maybe Bangladesh?

Ah yes, champion of spraying Brown people with fire houses supports sending Brown people to country more prone to flooding than probably any other on the planet.

This is why Tahoe is the king of trolling.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m right as hell. Which is why you’re pissed. ...

Pissed isn't really the right word.  I feel like I'm watching a little kid in Wal-Mart throwing a temper tantrum while his mom mishandles the situation.  At first I'm amused.  After a while I get annoyed.  Not really pissed, but I feel like telling mom to spank the little asshole. 

That's how I feel here.  Usually I get tired and just go away.  There are way too many tantrums from posters.  They aren't mad at other posters.  They are mad at political events.

I'm not mad about political events.  Everything doesn't go my way, and the noise has a bunch of problems.  But, pig picture,

-Hillary isn't Prez (the only alternative was worse) 

-we've got massive progress in the third branch of government,

- the economy is booming, and

- the regulatory bureaucracy is getting fixed.  

• Fuck You 5

Pissed isn't really the right word.  I feel like I'm watching a little kid in Wal-Mart throwing a temper tantrum while his mom mishandles the situation.  At first I'm amused.  After a while I get annoyed.  Not really pissed, but I feel like telling mom to spank the little asshole. 
That's how I feel here.  Usually I get tired and just go away.  There are way too many tantrums from posters.  They aren't mad at other posters.  They are mad at political events.
I'm not mad about political events.  Everything doesn't go my way, and the noise has a bunch of problems.  But, pig picture,
-Hillary isn't Prez (the only alternative was worse) 

And just for kicks you’ll admittedly throw out troll posts just to watch the world burn. GTFO.

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lucky for you, Trump came along, making it easier for you pieces of shit to come out of hiding.  That’s actually one of the few favors he has done society.  

No, I think it was Bush, at least that was the talking point in the early 2000’s. The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

15 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

Which are exacerbated by useful idiots such as yourself, bringing doughnuts to local meetings and doing your part to make everything appear normal, in the face of an executive branch that has no checks on it. And your entire team party is reliant on him to maintain power, so it's not too hard to see how that could lead to issues when it comes to enforcement action against him.

13 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

The economy is currently in a bit of a rut, and the growth it's been seeing is primarily from artificially low interest rates and the trump tax cuts which are effectively more of a stimulus bill than a tax cut. Only problem is, a stimulus was applied when the economy was already doing fine, so now we have no safety net if/when there's another major downturn. Just because it's good right now, doesn't mean it's going to magically continue to be good. Trump is sort of known for going bankrupt.

10 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

There was actually a really great planet money podcast on this issue last Friday. The TLDR is that trump has definitely made the political environment hostile to new regulations, but he's going to have a hard damn time cutting out 90% of the regulatory code like he wants to. The majority of ground covered was through using the Congressional Review Act to work with congress to revoke obama-era regs. You only have 60 legislative days to review and revoke, which is why there was a flurry of deregulatory stuff at the beginning of his term, and not much since then.

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

A very scary looking thing. Like a man in a woman’s bathroom scary.

like women and men carrying kids scary.  If that doesn't scream military deployment, then I don't know my bible. Lock your windows and doors peeps, it's what Christ woulda wanted from a supposed Christian nation. 

Edited by Mdhorn

This transgender issue is a perfect illustration of the gratuitous cruelty that is a (some would argue the) hallmark of the modern Republican Party.

I actually blame the old miller lite commercials with actual men in dresses sneaking into ladies night to have access to shit beer. I’m not kidding.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

American people with a little nudge from Russian criminals gave mobsters the key to the vault.  Republican leaders go to the UN and and say pay us if you want us to protect you from the world we're selling arms to.  To the American citizens they say pay us, we'll protect you from the chaos we're creating.  And some say, yeah but some of us are doing well....which is something criminals are known for, leaving money laying around.  Give it time, they'll get yours.  It's f'g amazing people are too stupid to see this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

The economy is currently in a bit of a rut, and the growth it's been seeing is primarily from artificially low interest rates and the trump tax cuts which are effectively more of a stimulus bill than a tax cut. Only problem is, a stimulus was applied when the economy was already doing fine, so now we have no safety net if/when there's another major downturn. Just because it's good right now, doesn't mean it's going to magically continue to be good. Trump is sort of known for going bankrupt.

To put a finer point on it, look into data and projections on earnings growth.  25% last quarter, 20% this quarter, down into the teens and maybe below 10% next year.

The tax cut didn't work as well as planned.  That's the end of the story . . . rich individuals get richer, corporations didn't benefit nor reinvest (other than stock buybacks), and in the end we have Donald and his merry band of ass-kissers fucking things up more than necessary, because "they got theirs".

And Tahoe ain't one of "they".  

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

To put a finer point on it, look into data and projections on earnings growth.  25% last quarter, 20% this quarter, down into the teens and maybe below 10% next year.

The tax cut didn't work as well as planned.  That's the end of the story . . . rich individuals get richer, corporations didn't benefit nor reinvest (other than stock buybacks), and in the end we have Donald and his merry band of ass-kissers fucking things up more than necessary, because "they got theirs".

And Tahoe ain't one of "they".  

Critically, we have no more money we can pump into the economy in the likely (and statistically inevitable) event of an economic downturn before 2020. We already expended our available economic stimulus with the trump tax cut. Go figure that a con man has been using every short-term "win" lever as quickly as they can with no regard to its sustainability.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You just explained how it worked exactly as planned.

• Like 3