Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I mean wasn’t he taking away for armed robbery?  And given 5 years.  What’s the beef on that?  From the crime he did commit, he should have gone away a lot longer.  

I hate the war on drugs.  But strict sentencing and disparities in powder versus crack cocaine was a bipartisan and biracial endeavor.  

and blacks being fucked over by the criminal justice isn’t something that’s gotten worse the last 70 years.  It’s probably better than it was in the 50s.  But fatherless black homes have gotten worse and worse the last 50 years.  

Edited by John Lawrence
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Take the L. It was a stupid ass line. Very desirable these last 4 months.

And the housing prices? What do you mean? For 400k I can get a 2bed 2bath with a small ass yard built in 1925?

No it wasn’t stupid.  New York will continue to be incredibly expensive to live in, because people will want to live there.  I’m sure you can find some obscure example in Tottenville for that price range, with rats and a coal stove...but it’ll be 45 minutes out of the city.  

5 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

and blacks being fucked over by the criminal justice isn’t something that’s gotten worse the last 70 years.  It’s probably better than it was in the 50s.  But fatherless black homes have gotten worse and worse the last 50 years.  

This is a lie, and there’s research to prove it that I’ve posted on this site several times over the years.  You should stop making shit up that Fox News and your right wing outlets parrot and instead do your research.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, John Lawrence said:

Not really true.  

If you put female in there it would be.  

Unarmed whites get clipped plenty.  I think last year it was 17 whites and 9 blacks.  

Source? Also I specified murder in general. Not just gunshots.

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This is a lie, and there’s research to prove it that I’ve posted on this site several times over the years.  You should stop making shit up that Fox News and your right wing outlets parrot and instead do your research.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

There is an insane amount of racism floating around on social media right now. What's disheartening is that most of it is coming from young people. My naive ass used to think that once the olds die off things would get better, but it's so evident it's not. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

No one. They're just assholes taking advantage of a situation. No different than all the kids in NYC last night that were looting. 

Not even being a smart ass here.

Are these bad apples spoiling peaceful protest by looting and rioting or are we at the point where peaceful protests are no longer effective and violence is the only answer to force change when pleas are ignored? I’ve heard both versions.

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Not even being a smart ass here.

Are these bad apples spoiling peaceful protest by looting and rioting or are we at the point where peaceful protests are no longer effective and violence is the only answer to force change when pleas are ignored? I’ve heard both versions.

There's plenty of peaceful protests. There's plenty of looting. There's a mix of both. There's violence that breaks out because police come in and try to clear people out. There isn't a one size fits all label for these. I'd say the original destruction was anger that rose to violence in Minneapolis. Burning of the police precinct, for example. Are there assholes mixing in with protesters looking to break into places and get free shit, yeah. Just like there's assholes with anarchist fantasies wanting to play out Mr. Robot and using Floyd's death an excuse. But I don't believe the majority are those last two examples. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

No, you actually do not mean that in the nicest way possible, but I will excuse you being an asshole because that is what we are all known for.  Know this, it is family owned (has rebuffed takeover attempts by LVMH/Hering for ages) and maintains all its production (including fabric/leather working and hardware) in its workshops in France (Carcassonne I believe).  They beleive in maintaining all aspects of production inhouse and eschew e-commerce.  It is definitely a throwback.

Carcassonne.... we were supposed to visit there after our tour of England in 2018, but we got no further than London where Mrs, Brat went splat in the crypt at St. Paul’s, breaking her arm badly.

Our English friend who has a farm house in Chaillac had booked a hotel booked there for a couple of nights.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Meh. Something's better than nothing and it doesn't hurt

No shit. People are donating today to a lot of Black Lives Matter groups based on this Blackout Day. Yeah, the internet virtue signaling is groan inducing but I've seen corporations, online business, and others pledging money to these groups. So maybe it will help. One of them is for a bail reform group, something that definitely helps poor African Americans escape the endless cycle of being in debt and prison due to interactions with the police. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

You are quoting a Fox News article, whose target audience is one person (see the CR for who that is).

There's a couple of problems with them moving this into the suburbs.

The first, as the article mentions, plenty of homeowners will come out bearing arms.    These rioters are fucking cowards - they aren't confronting armed cops for the most part (unless they are cornered), they are using the crowds as shields, and they are using a lack of armed cops (who are tied up elsewhere) to do what they want.  They also don't come out doing this stuff on this scale, unless there are protests to hide behind.  And homeowners are going to be concerned about the lives of themselves and their families.  So shit will go to 11 fast.

Second, the suburbs are not easy places for the rioters to escape and they do not want to be caught - it's not a city core where you can get out of site within a few blocks if somebody comes after you, and where the cops are tied down to protecting certain structures.  Most of those suburbs have bottlenecks of sorts at some point as well.  Running through people's backyards over fences wears you out really fucking fast, and your chances of being confronted by somebody who is armed and within their right to kill you goes way up.

Finally, and this maybe should have been the first, the rioters need the protestors to actually move into the outer suburbs, which means moving away from the city administrative and law enforcement centers, which is not what the protestors want.   It's getting into the summer,  they aren't going to march miles down roads/highways, they can't drive en masse into the suburbs, there aren't buses running out there, and again, it's a bunch of bottlenecks that make it easy to prevent them from walking/whatever.   Plus, they send more of a message concentrated around city administrative and law enforcement centers, than scattered around in suburbs.

There are groups on both sides that want to take the fight into the suburbs - the boogaloo idiots who want their race war that Bosa mentioned, and the hardcore anarchist types.

But they are still going to run into a shitload of us who are armed and won't tolerate much when it comes to our families.

Well, Mayor Adler can always offer them free rides out to the Lakline area via Capital Metro and that commuter rail trolley

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Who are they reaching, though? The like-minded people already agree with them? Just more virtue signaling.

You'd be surprised how many like minded people are inactive towards issues until their peers start ramping up their exposure to them. Again can't hurt.

• Like 1

How come “one bad cop doesn’t mean they’re all bad” not apply to protestors? 

Nobody has a problem with the actual protestors. As a matter of fact, I think (especially after this particular example) most people support protesting this and support making actual effective changes to prevent this from occurring again.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

I said that.  I said NYC and DC will continue to be a desirable place for many to live, and the city will recover.  Your ass may not want to, and at 40 with two kids I don’t want to...but just take a look at housing prices in those places to see the country isn’t full of people who think like you.  

So laugh all you want chucklefuck, it don’t change the facts.  

It’s where the jobs, business industries etc. are. It’s the same reason DFW is overrun with out of staters. And it’s not because they dreamed of the Metroplex. 

Go to Teterboro, White Plains, Morristown, Philly NorthEast, Martin State, Dulles and probably a few others I’ve neglected on Friday afternoon and you’ll find most of the super wealthy people you think love the NE so are getting the fuck out of the NE on the nearest available private jet. 

Usually to that bastion of culture and fine living known as Florida. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

Who are they reaching, though? The like-minded people already agree with them? Just more virtue signaling.

I would always roll my eyes at any kind of sweeping social media activist campaign. But now we’re reaching a point in society that social media movements really do influence the real world. I mean the whole #MeToo thing started as a hashtag in one person’s tweet, and look what it led to.