Minneapolis Cop Murders A Black Man

HenryJames

I'm afraid this generation is more concerned about themselves (look at me stuff) than they are about making the world a better place.  Hope I'm wrong, but I don't have a lot of faith.  

Yeah, ummm....this.
I mean, they're literally marching in the streets to protest injustice, but sure lol

I mean, are the also teenage kids? Sure they are. But they are a shitload more informed and active than several previous generations. They see your shit, and they ain’t gonna have it.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, landman said:

I'm afraid this generation is more concerned about themselves (look at me stuff) than they are about making the world a better place.  Hope I'm wrong, but I don't have a lot of faith.  

This is exactly what every generation has said about the generation before them. Almost every single scientific or psychological study of Millennials shows that they are more empathetic and more concerned about the future and the health of the world and society than generations before them. Yeah, they use Instagram and Snapchat a lot but that doesn't mean they're not about making the world a better place. From where I sit as a Gen X'er, they are the only generation that really gives a shit. You shouldn't feel threatened by that.

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

This is exactly what every generation has said about the generation before them. Almost every single scientific or psychological study of Millennials shows that they are more empathetic and more concerned about the future and the health of the world and society than generations before them. Yeah, they use Instagram and Snapchat a lot but that doesn't mean they're not about making the world a better place. From where I sit as a Gen X'er, they are the only generation that really gives a shit. You shouldn't feel threatened by that.

Millennials aren’t graduating from high school anymore unless they were really, really stupid. Or in a movie where they go undercover as kids.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Then when Trump orders it, refuse to comply.   Have a spine.  It will make you unique among your party.  I refuse to believe in any backbone among these sycophants until they actually ACT.

Reporting yesterday was that all the armed and armored soldiers were saying they were with DOJ when asked. I think the policing action against protesters is going to be led by DEA

Guest Lobo

Not to get off on a tangent here ^^^ (a few posts up), but one thing this board has made me realize is that I am not unique in my socio-political journey in life in that I have become vastly more socially liberal in my older age.  You come out from under the thumb of your parents in your 20's, and by the time you're my age (now 44)...you just realize how little of it matters.  You get enough life experience to realize that 99% of other adult's behavior/activity/value sets has no effect on your life whatsoever.  I made all kinds of value judgements on people's lifestyles until around 30-35.  Then you serve civically and philanthropically enough and you start to realize, almost nothing anybody else does matters to your own life and family.  

Houston did it right yesterday.

Houston has always had less racial tension than most cities its size.  I tend to think there is so many different large groups of different colors, none really control anything.  We have lots of whites, blacks, Asians, Indians/pakis, and Latinx. 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Not to get off on a tangent here ^^^ (a few posts up), but one thing this board has made me realize is that I am not unique in my socio-political journey in life in that I have become vastly more socially liberal in my older age.  You come out from under the thumb of your parents in your 20's, and by the time you're my age (now 44)...you just realize how little of it matters.  You get enough life experience to realize that 99% of other adult's behavior/activity/value sets has no effect on your life whatsoever.  I made all kinds of value judgements on people's lifestyles until around 30-35.  Then you serve civically and philanthropically enough and you start to realize, almost nothing anybody else does matters to your own life and family.  

What are we talking about here?  

Fucking each other with a suitcase full of dildos dressed up like Little Bo Peep...

or 

Shooting heroin in a tent under the freeway?

Edited by Incredulity

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

What are we talking about here?  

Fucking each other with a suitcase full of dildos dressed up like Little Bo Peep...

or 

Shooting heroin in a tent under the freeway?

why not both? 

16 hours ago, John Lawrence said:

I’m backing out though.  This kind of discussion even on stats will lead to cloak rooming.  My last post on this subject.  

Because it's not just about the people who are killed, but instead about systematic heavy-handed oppression of black people by police? Explain why the vast majority of people jailed in this country are people of color. I'll wait.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's interesting.  I don't really think of Tech as a haven of insularity and racism, although I guess the ingredients could be there from some of the more small-town students, as if any school in Texas has a monopoly on them.

One of my best friends growing up had parents that met at Tech (from Lamesa and Kerrville).  Once at the store when he was little, he had heard "negro" and conflated it with "eggroll" and started asking his mom if that "guy was an eggroll."  His mom freaked and I think might have spanked him in the store.  That would have been about 1970.

West Texas is a bit weird when it comes to racism, at least when it comes to black people. I grew up in Andrews, and black people basically just don't exist there, I think they're something like 2-3% of the population, though the hispanic population is 40+%. I think my graduating class was 250ish people and there were 3 black people, total. Lubbock itself is basically a small town masquerading as a city, there are plenty of racists around though they generally aren't the type to be very vocal or passionate about it so it kind of flies under the radar.

Tech as an institution is pretty progressive so that kind of hides it even further.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hot ham water said:

Because it's not just about the people who are killed, but instead about systematic heavy-handed oppression of black people by police? Explain why the vast majority of people jailed in this country are people of color. I'll wait.

Exactly. Also, how many black people get killed per 10,000 arrested for non-violent crime?