Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

I don't mind the idea but I don't really give a fuck about Jai Alai's opinion.  He's been here all of 5 months.   If the players want a coaches voice that really matters (outside of Herman), get Giles on board.

Kind of agree that this guy is an interloper and I really don't care what he thinks.  I thought these guys were interested in more than symbolic pandering.  I say nope.

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Exactly. Twitter will be the downfall of mankind.

I mean, I have read some monumentally stupid shit on here, well almost daily. But Twitter is like the lowest common denominator.

Writing books will be the downfall of mankind -Socrates

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Exactly. Twitter will be the downfall of mankind.

I mean, I have read some monumentally stupid shit on here, well almost daily. But Twitter is like the lowest common denominator.

Twitter is quite literally the devil’s anus.  It’s instant gratification at its worst.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

This I don’t like, but it doesn’t piss me off.  It just gives me shell shock from the Dook asswhipping.

Alternate uniforms are a good idea----for schools with ugly uniforms like Oregon and Tennessee.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

“Outreach program for the inner cities”.

What about the Neighborhood Longhorns program I’ve been donating to through the LHF for decades? Are they not aware of that long established outreach program?

There's programs helping Austin city schools as well.  There is or used to be an elementary program run by the School of Education.

Edited by bullet

Even better:

the eyes of Texas are upon you (south Austin’s mom) you cannot get away (surly) at night or early in the morn (when she is most active) till Gabriel blows his horn (signal for the next guy’s turn, or something kinky with a dude named Gabe)

13 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well damn Mike Adams. We went right from 1903 Minstrel stuff to it being a slave owner song. That escalated quickly.

I wonder if Lovell Pinkney is going to weigh in.

This reminds me of Mike Adams torching aggy in Austin in 1996. Six catches for 153 yards and 2 TDs.

Ricky ran for 150.

51-15 beatdown.

12 minutes ago, Bruno Sardine said:

I'm sorry for being lazy, but just making sure someone has brought up "Glory, Glory."

Glory, glory to old Georgia!
G-E-O-R-G-I-A

To what "old Georgia" are they nostalgically referring? 

It’s always been more puzzling to me that the song is to the tune of “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” That is some masochistic shit if there ever was. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This reminds me of Mike Adams torching aggy in Austin in 1996. Six catches for 153 yards and 2 TDs.

Ricky ran for 150.

51-15 beatdown.

Yeah that was a good day. Hell of a player.

That was kind of rough what he said though. 

Edited by Valmy77

Well damn Mike Adams. We went right from 1903 Minstrel stuff to it being a slave owner song. That escalated quickly.
I wonder if Lovell Pinkney is going to weigh in.

Lovell Pinkney borrowed a pencil from me in freshman English class and never gave it back. He would always return the mini stapler though

Then he stopped coming to class.
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Twitter gave a platform for the dumbest morons in society to remove all doubt from the rest of the population how stupid they are. It is the Cloak Room on the cream and the clear.

Might be a bit high but high five for “the cream and the clear” reference.  Can’t stop laughing 

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Mike Adams is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts. Slavery was outlawed many years before 1903. There would be no reason whatsoever to be singing in 1903 about slaves when the practice had ended 40 years prior. Stop the madness. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Mike Adams is entitled to his own opinion but not his own facts. Slavery was outlawed many years before 1903. There would be no reason whatsoever to be singing in 1903 about slaves when the practice had ended 40 years prior. Stop the madness. 

I think he knows that. I presume there is a context to it, since he says "there is your interpretation" so it was probably in the middle of some kind of heated discussion. I think he was just making a point.

Edited by Valmy77

35 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Mike Adams isn’t the first to think that the song is referencing slavery. Other players have talked about it - Rod B mentioned it as well on one of his shows. 

Feel free to call them idiots or liars or disingenuous but the fact is that the very strong feelings about this song are being driven by interpretations like Mike Adams and the history of the Eyes and the tune it’s based on. 

41 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I know. I feel like I am taking crazy pills. Is this entire argument based on made up facts?  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Mike Adams isn’t the first to think that the song is referencing slavery. Other players have talked about it - Rod B mentioned it as well on one of his shows. 

Feel free to call them idiots or liars or disingenuous but the fact is that the very strong feelings about this song are being driven by interpretations like Mike Adams and the history of the Eyes and the tune it’s based on. 

I’m pretty sure I saw Mike Adams’ feelings being driven into a camera shop on Guadalupe. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Really? Well damn. Ok then. I stand corrected.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:23 PM, 4th_and_18 said:

Or the academics wanted his statue removed from campus because he was a known plagiarist and his dissertation was a fraud? For example.

Destroying history was not invented in 2020.  Ancient civilizations have examples of missing statues and graves because a king had petty jealousy of his predecessors.  I'm sure at the time he had reasons why they were evil people. 

18 hours ago, JohnLocke said:

Football used to be a place to escape politics. Now it's gone all cloak room too. Ugg.

You've heard why Billy the Kid robbed banks?

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I’m aware that he’s not alone, but being flat wrong and being motivated by anger based on those falsehoods is ridiculous. People need to calm down and be open to the facts. That particular line of thinking makes no sense whatsoever. 

• Like 7

Every Athlete needs to use the very powerful platform they have been to given to take a knee, stop playing and demand that every politician that has ever broken a promise, to any and all minorities, must resign their position immediately. It is time. We have been bamboozled as a nation for far too long. The Scum sucking politicians must no longer gather around and sing spirituals with the common folk to show empathy and solidarity, only to go back to their mansions on high, laughing all the way to the bank with no intention to change a damn thing. If you are an athlete that comes from a poverty stricken district and nothing has changed since your birth, and the only thing that has stayed the same is your elected official then you have been played. That is the injustice. Eyes of Texas, please, what about the icy Whites. Nothing scares the bajesus out of everyone more then seeing an Angry Mob dressed in all White.

16 hours ago, Burntcowboy said:

Jay is all for it. Traitor 

At what point will dark brown people realize that being labeled as black was derogatory to begin with, and is still viewed that way by many people of African descent around the world? There are very few people dark enough to even be considered black. There’s no doubt in my mind that the initial labeling them as black was meant to be belittling.

4 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I’m aware that he’s not alone, but being flat wrong and being motivated by anger based on those falsehoods is ridiculous. People need to calm down and be open to the facts. That particular line of thinking makes no sense whatsoever. 

I tend to agree, but perception is reality. So, either you have to 1. Change the perception, 2. Replace the Eyes, or 3. A combination of both with a compromise on 2. 1 puts the "old" white admins in the unfortunate position of seemingly explaining away the longtime reality. 2 seems both drastic given the information about the Eyes known at this time and quite divisive (probably as divisive as noir doing anything at all). 3 seems to be what most people are hoping for, though for the young advocates, it may take some convincing. Then it's just a matter of finding an agreeable arrangement, which is quite achievable, imo, because there's a ton of options available.

I understand and support the player’s requests. 
Part of my challenge in this is I actually don’t really like this team as it’s currently composed as I think they’re by and large a bunch of soft, head-cases. 
I am struggling not conflating the players valid concerns with my desire to have pretty much the entire team rebooted. 

I do think CDC playing booster/$ card if that’s true was bad mistake. Herman and Texas went from leaders on the issue of BLM to stepping on their dicks very quickly. 
Someone needs to be grab control. 

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I understand and support the player’s requests. 
Part of my challenge in this is I actually don’t really like this team as it’s currently composed as I think they’re by and large a bunch of soft, head-cases. 
I am struggling not conflating the players valid concerns with my desire to have pretty much the entire team rebooted. 

I do think CDC playing booster/$ card if that’s true was bad mistake. Herman and Texas went from leaders on the issue of BLM to stepping on their dicks very quickly. 
Someone needs to be grab control. 

I actually think this team could be really good and don’t think they are ‘soft’ like some of the Mack years.  Distracted?  Yes.  Adding self made pressure to perform?   Yes.  

Hope they take their anger into the field.  St Darrel says “only angry people win football games”.  

2 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

I actually think this team could be really good and don’t think they are ‘soft’ like some of the Mack years.  Distracted?  Yes.  Adding self made pressure to perform?   Yes.  

Hope they take their anger into the field.  St Darrel says “only angry people win football games”.  

We will see. So many miscues past years, so much squandered talent, dumb play calling. I am the most bearish I’ve ever been on this program right now. 

8 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

We will see. So many miscues past years, so much squandered talent, dumb play calling. I am the most bearish I’ve ever been on this program right now. 

Understand the bear and gloom.  I admit the burst in social media is a bad indicator / lack of focus.   
I’m just trying to keep positive that I didn’t flush $5K on tickets this year (again).  

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Rarely are the people who speak the loudest and with the most confidence the ones most educated on a subject. The charity I work with works in conjunction with LHF in Dallas does a lot of great things. We invest in college exam prep courses for inner city students and teach life skill classes on finances and a wide range of other topics. The fact that this is a demand speaks volumes about who wrote these demands and their complete ignorance about what exists today. 

Unfortunately some of the social media platforms just allow for the constant barrage of the most vocal to be heard even if they are completely unaware of the facts. There is no real rational discussion anymore. That has been replaced with people thinking making quips and mic drop, snarky statements are a way to get your point across. Just read on this thread certain individuals coming in with one-liners about white privilege who offer little, if anything to the discussion. It’s why we should never make big, sweeping decisions based on this emotionally charged banter. It will not lead to anything constructive. 

Perhaps the athlete’s lives are so busy with school, sports, and their own charitable work that they have not had the opportunity to learn more of what others have been doing actively or at least contributing to for years before they arrived on campus. 
That’s something CdC & the administration could introduce to the conversations with them. I do believe the Longhorn Network has touched on some of those works by the University and many Exes.

• Like 1