AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18

atomheartbevo

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

If you haven’t been paying attention that’s not really moving the needle with the mouthbreathers. 

Fuck moving the needle. Let them die from it, sooner, rather than later.

I'm done with their bullshit. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

First day of school went off ok.  Getting my blood pressure up about some reported instances of bullying related to mask wearing, not reports I am hearing from my kids but from other kids in the family at other schools at higher grade levels.  Had a talk with the kids about how to step up and defend others whether it relates to covid or any other situation, and that they would be held to account if they ever let that shit slide. God fucking help me if I have to smack a motherfucker. 
Lake Travis?

I'm having clients bail for other districts due to culture and bullying if so. Especially kids with any "issues". Spoiled fuckers act like assholes, but well funded district. These are the choices...

Any of the local choices are better than the schools I came up with on the border of Aldine in early 90s HTown.
still tippin bro

Well, that didn't take long.  First case on the very first day of our elementary school.  And as the odds would have it, it was in my daughter's first grade classroom.  We made it one dammed day.  They can't contact trace (not allowed despite it being proven to work), only allowed to send a vague email at 6am this morning to alert us to the fact.  Student obviously has to quarantine but cannot dial in remotely because that's also not allowed.  Some of you geniuses really didn't think some of shit thru.  All so we could appeal to the lowest common denominator in our state.  I feel bad for the kid who now has to completely miss days 2-12 of 1st grade. 

I feel bad for my daughter.  When we told her about the kid with coronavirus, first thing she said was that she hopes that her classmate feels better and then she said she'd still like to go to school today, and will do better at not touching her face.  I was really proud of her, she's upstairs getting dressed now.  And I'm left wondering if this kid's parents are unvaccinated. 

So what's the verdict on how soon after infection, kids aged 6 start to show symptoms---if they're gonna show symptoms at all?  

And anybody recommend a quick test facility with accurate  results anywhere in Central/South/West Austin?    

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well, that didn't take long.  First case on the very first day of our elementary school.  And as the odds would have it, it was in my daughter's first grade classroom.  We made it one dammed day.  They can't contact trace (not allowed despite it being proven to work), only allowed to send a vague email at 6am this morning to alert us to the fact.  Student obviously has to quarantine but cannot dial in remotely because that's also not allowed.  Some of you geniuses really didn't think some of shit thru.  All so we could appeal to the lowest common denominator in our state.  I feel bad for the kid who now has to completely miss days 2-12 of 1st grade. 

I feel bad for my daughter.  When we told her about the kid with coronavirus, first thing she said was that she hopes that her classmate feels better and then she said she'd still like to go to school today, and will do better at not touching her face.  I was really proud of her, she's upstairs getting dressed now.  And I'm left wondering if this kid's parents are unvaccinated. 

So what's the verdict on how soon after infection, kids aged 6 start to show symptoms---if they're gonna show symptoms at all?  

And anybody recommend a quick test facility with accurate  results anywhere in Central/South/West Austin?    

As far as symptoms, as early as 2 days, with an average of 5 and up to 14 days at the high end.

As far as testing, it sounds weird but Total Men's has same day appointments, but it's too early to test. Gotta wait a couple days

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Guy I work with picked up a home test when his wife showed symptoms.  Got a positive.  But I can understand why a negative test from an AHT wouldn't give any of us much confidence.

We had a similar incident in our daughter’s Pre-K and got her tested at Walgreens. You just use the drive up and the pharmacist hands you a swab to use and then you put it back in it’s packaging and stick in the medicine drawer thing. They emailed her results in about 2 hours

Pro tip: if there are no same-day appointments go ahead and book one for whatever date is available and just show up to the Walgreens.  The pharmacist at our walgreens told us to do this and they went ahead and let us take the test. 

26 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

As far as symptoms, as early as 2 days, with an average of 5 and up to 14 days at the high end.

As far as testing, it sounds weird but Total Men's has same day appointments, but it's too early to test. Gotta wait a couple days

No, I wasn't going to get a test today.  Too soon.  But see how she is by Sunday (5th day).  Just to assuage some of mom's anxiety, make her an appt. for a test on Monday that we can always cancel.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Grab a couple BinaxNow home kits at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart/Amazon.  They are simple to use and results in 15 minutes. I grabbed some just to keep around just for peace of mind if someone's not feeling great and want to rule it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Don't be left wondering.  I asked my 3rd grader's two teachers at meet the teacher. They are both vaccinated. 

I then emailed the classroom parent list and stated:

"Hi. I just wanted to let everyone know that everyone in our household who is eligible for the vaccine is fully vaccinated. If you'd like to share your family's status, feel free to reply to all."

Every single parent replied "yes" and many expressed gratitude that someone stepped up and asked.  You won't get any nos but you may get some non-responses or a decline to share and those are your MAGAtards.

I thought about that but I know it'll bring out some of the Karens in the group.  Apparently asking someone to volunteer, if they're comfortable, their vaccination status is like asking how much money they make or how they like it in the bedroom.  

After drop-off, wife decided we should do something productive instead of wringing our hands.  She contacted the principal, teacher, and school nurse and suggested for the time-being, we could put the plexi-glass dividers back up in classrooms, do snack time outside (because they kids are unmasked and huddled together), and go back to the spacing model they did last year in the lunchroom (this year, they are spaced a bit but nothing like it was last year).  She volunteered me to go in this weekend, get the plexiglass out of storage, and set it up in the classroom and specials rooms.  I will come and move the outside picnic tables into a more spaced configuration for snack time and lunch (if students choose to eat outside).  They're just little steps, but combined with more rigid masking, and temp checks, and voluntarily contact tracing done by parents in each room---it would make a noticeable difference.  As of now, the protocols are for the very end of Covid-19, not the biggest wave in a year.

27 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

We made it 4 days. Yay?

Take what you can get. We have had + cases since day 1. On day 7 now and were over 12 cases on Tuesdays email (I haven’t seen yesterday’s).  2 kids on the street both have +‘s in their classes.  Feels like it’s only a matter of when. 

13 hours ago, Anastasis said:

First day of school went off ok.  Getting my blood pressure up about some reported instances of bullying related to mask wearing, not reports I am hearing from my kids but from other kids in the family at other schools at higher grade levels.  Had a talk with the kids about how to step up and defend others whether it relates to covid or any other situation, and that they would be held to account if they ever let that shit slide. God fucking help me if I have to smack a motherfucker. 

LT is a shitshow. Evidently the students and staff are wearing masks at a very very low rate. Thankfully my kids reported no bullying about them wearing masks. I definitely am concerned they will be harassed about the masks, but hopefully they can handle it the way I explained they should. Based on the meet the teacher my youngest wont have an issue, he looked a solid two years older than any kid in his class. It was so absurd I asked my wife if she was sure this was the correct class.

14 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Kiddos enjoyed first day in-person in 17 months. Vast majority, 90 to 95% in masks. Sixth and fourth grade. Middle school allowed eating outside. I purchased 2 air purifiers for 4th grade homeroom. And yet I expect a "pause" and school shutdown within the first month. Not too worried about their health if they get it - if I was they would be doing virtual. Daughter can be fully vaxed soon, and hopefully the FDA will allow age 5 to 11 shots soon. 

Which air purifiers did you get?

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I thought about that but I know it'll bring out some of the Karens in the group.  Apparently asking someone to volunteer, if they're comfortable, their vaccination status is like asking how much money they make or how they like it in the bedroom.  

I recommend sending the email, but start with these two questions to soften them up before the vaccination question.  You might learn some enlightening things.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Thankfully my kids reported no bullying about them wearing masks. I definitely am concerned they will be harassed about the masks, but hopefully they can handle it the way I explained they should. 

By explaining to the bully, in graphic detail, what it will be like when the bully's parents or grandparents end up on the ventilator?

Or telling the bully "you're momma's so fat, when she gets the covid and dies and they cremate her, people from miles around will mistake it for a gender reveal party"?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's official, LISD set a new record for positive cases in a week a full 2 days before the end of the week.  Hold on to your butts.

I was keeping an eye on this.  I knew you guys could make it...and with time to spare.  Good job.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, fluff said:

Son has been in K for 2 days. Woke up this morning with a slight cough…What is typical symptoms of a 5 yo?

It looks like a cold at that age. There is no discernable clinical way to tell if the under 10 crowd has a regular viral cold vs Covid except for testing. They almost never lose their taste and smell. 

• Like 2

Gracias. Will grab a few tests and wait a few days.  

Anybody tracking the COVID dashboards for the schools that are mandating masks, vs the schools that aren't?  My son is in Dripping ISD with pretty much no mask usage on any of the kids, I would be interested to see how this will compare to other schools with high mask usage....

My kids (elementary school age) reported basically zero mask wearing. This would match meet the teacher when I think I counted 8 or 10 masks total amongst everyone.  Of course, when you pull into the driveway to drop kids off a big sign says "our teachers are armed to protect your children".  I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that nobody will test their kids, so our positives will look really low, and nobody gets seriously ill.  That's my guess as to how it plays out.    Basically what New Doc said.  I can't imagine in our district when kids get the sniffles and a cough their mom and dad going out and having them tested.  

Last year we went in person September 8, didn't miss a single day, didn't contact trace, didn't have any kids hospitalized or die or basically anything different than any other school year, except for the mask wearing and parents not allowed on campus. I hope we can say the same at the end of this year.

Good luck to everyone this school year.  The thing that's given me the greatest comfort (besides being vaccinated) is that this thing just hasn't been a big deal to kids at all.  I pray it stays that way and all yours stay safe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Are at home tests the way to go now? Don't really want to drag the kids to a clinic everytime they get a runny nose now that they're back in school. I assume testing will be a normal routine for this school year.

The at home tests are kinda crappy overall.  If you test positive on one you have COVID.  If you test negative there's still a high chance you're actually positive.  I forget the numbers though

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My kids (elementary school age) reported basically zero mask wearing. This would match meet the teacher when I think I counted 8 or 10 masks total amongst everyone.  Of course, when you pull into the driveway to drop kids off a big sign says "our teachers are armed to protect your children".  I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that nobody will test their kids, so our positives will look really low, and nobody gets seriously ill.  That's my guess as to how it plays out.    Basically what New Doc said.  I can't imagine in our district when kids get the sniffles and a cough their mom and dad going out and having them tested.  

Last year we went in person September 8, didn't miss a single day, didn't contact trace, didn't have any kids hospitalized or die or basically anything different than any other school year, except for the mask wearing and parents not allowed on campus. I hope we can say the same at the end of this year.

Good luck to everyone this school year.  The thing that's given me the greatest comfort (besides being vaccinated) is that this thing just hasn't been a big deal to kids at all.  I pray it stays that way and all yours stay safe. 

District?  Eanes?

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You’re wrong based on the pediatric cases being reported, but keep praying.  That seems to help along with thoughts.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

District?  Eanes?

That would be my District  and it’s a shitshow at Westlake.   Teachers don’t give a fuck, classes are at 30 plus because the good ones retired after last years shitshow.  

It’s a disaster and I don’t see it getting  better.  I do wonder what elite colleges are going to think…

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

LT is a shitshow. Evidently the students and staff are wearing masks at a very very low rate. Thankfully my kids reported no bullying about them wearing masks. I definitely am concerned they will be harassed about the masks, but hopefully they can handle it the way I explained they should. Based on the meet the teacher my youngest wont have an issue, he looked a solid two years older than any kid in his class. It was so absurd I asked my wife if she was sure this was the correct class.

At our elementary school, the principal told the teachers and staff they had to wear masks, without telling them they had to wear masks. Looks like 50/50-ish of the students at dropoff, but my kid says she only keeps the mask on part of the day, so who knows.

Older kid didn't say much about middle school, but I think most of the people in her friend group are wearing them, so that's a plus. As far as bullying, my wife told them to be nice, but I'm just waiting for a call (or, more likely, a FB message) from a parent telling me my kid said something awful to their unmasked child.

5 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

That would be my District  and it’s a shitshow at Westlake.   Teachers don’t give a fuck, classes are at 30 plus because the good ones retired after last years shitshow.  

It’s a disaster and I don’t see it getting  better.  I do wonder what elite colleges are going to think…

I graduated from there so this does not surprise me

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Alpha variant and Delta variant are very different. Go down to the Medical Center and see the number of kids hospitalized for COVID and get back to us with if you still think it's not a big deal for kids.

• Rage+1 1

It seems like a lot of kids are getting Covid-19 this week even though many experts on here said kids can't really get Covid-19.  

There'll be a case at every single district campus by the end of school tomorrow.  These kids might be among Texas' best and brightest, but the parents are in the running for dumbest, selfish assholes.  I'm curious if some of these people, or any of them, understand how the delta variant has taken a foothold here in Texas.  All those spirit airlines flights from Mumbai to San Antonio?  

Edited by Lobo

30 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

You’re wrong based on the pediatric cases being reported, but keep praying.  That seems to help along with thoughts.

We shall see. This is what I think will happen.  Nobody has any desire to see kids get really sick and die.  If it turns into a shit show I presume it will change in the district (I know our stance will change and we will homeschool).  It didn't last year and we were wide ass open all throughout while other places were virtual all year long- hoping for more of the same for everyone.  Now I've got thoughts and prayers covered. 

21 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Sports is all that matters in Eanes.  Put one football game in danger and you'll see a quick about face

Unless starters start dying/getting really sick Eanes (Lake Travis as well) will give zero fucks.  They would go all virtual for everyone but the football team if they had to.

With the current transmission rates (after a whopping two days)...a quarter of the students will be out with this fucking thing between now and labor day.  At our campus alone, that'll be 2,000 lost class days before the first 9 weeks are up.  Probably more.  And no remote learning is allowed, so they can't even just watch and listen from home.  

Gonna be real fun for the teachers to maintain a 10-day backlog on instruction and homework for 6 kids in each class while trying to stay current pace with the other 15.  Yeah, they're totally setup for that.  But nope, state leadership and EKF groups think remote learning is how kids get hooked on drugs and sucked into human trafficking or whatever the fucking conspiracy theory is this week.  I don't want remote learning, that's why we sent her back today.  But when you start getting dozens, or hundreds of kids out each week due to quarantine requirements, that's the only possible solution for them to keep pace academically.  

Well I certainly hope you two had a kickass summer and partied with Spuds McKenzie. Now quit dicking around and post who the Valley View Elementary dad is that roughed up a female teacher.  I'm waiting for somebody else to oust him, I'm only 90% sure of his name.   By the way, that story was #3 on CNN today.  Third.  In the nation.  Eanes parents beating up teachers in plain view of 100 kids, and Superintendent Leonard's response to it.  I felt selfish asking, "Is this gonna effect our USN&WR rankings?""  

Edited by Lobo

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

Alpha variant and Delta variant are very different. Go down to the Medical Center and see the number of kids hospitalized for COVID and get back to us with if you still think it's not a big deal for kids.

783 kids hospitalized with Covid from 7/1-present.  That is in comparison to 5800 from March 2020- present.  That's an average of 322 a month for the pandemic compared to 565 in this past sample size.  So, that's a what 80% increase in hospitalization?  That's not great- but from another perspective there are roughly 7.5 million kids in Texas.  So, the total pandemic saw 0.0043% of kids hospitalized (1 in 23,200 kids if my math is correct) while the recent 6 weeks has seen 0.0075% of kids hospitalized (1 in 13,333 kids in the state hospitalized).  I don't have any breakdown by age (this was just Children 0-17) but I'd think that my 6, 9 and 10 year olds would be less likely than from the population of the entire state to get this.

in 2018 66 kids in Texas died of the flu (I went to the last pre Covid year). Accounting for increase in the number of kids we'd normalize that number at 70 with todays population.  I can't find how many kids have died of Covid during the pandemic, nor more specifically of Delta, but read a Tech doctor say (twice as likely to die) so that's 140 in a year out of 7,500,000 instead of 70 a year.  I don't know where the numbers would have to get for me to check my kid out of stuff like that, but I'd think death rate near 1/10,000 would give me pause?  right now it's near 1/55,000 vs 1/110,000 during a regular flu season if the TT doctor I read is correct at "twice as many". 

By contrast there are 50 kids deaths in swimming pools in Texas a year, there are likely around 60 traffic deaths a year (counting only kids under 13- so riding along with a trusted adult) and overall there are something like 4,000 kids deaths a year in the state.  So, Covid would account for 3.5% of kids deaths vs normal flu something like 2%

32 kids in Texas died of accidental shooting. I don't have guns at my house (or rather we locked my wife's gun in the gun safe and the key was lost so it's inaccessible) b/c I fear the idea of them accidentally getting shot- so this isn't strictly rational I suppose that I'd fear that 32 more than the 70 for the flu or 140 for COVID, but that was probably how I was raised in a very strictly no guns house.  Many people think this is weird but we are certainly a product of how we are programmed.  

None of this is to say that this is "no big deal" for kids.  You just said look at the numbers so I did. If I got those numbers wrong it wasn't unintentional or obfuscation- it was error in googling or sourcing on my part.   

The numbers are so staggeringly in favor of vaccination that people who don't really fail at cost benefit analysis.  Masks have little (but not zero) cost for elementary school children and they aren't a magic bullet to stop at all, but a winner at the margins. I think reasonable people can disagree over the need to wear them for elementary school kids but I know that's an unpopular take. I'm watching the data and ready to change my mind if it starts running hard the other way.  

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Lobo said:

With the current transmission rates (after a whopping two days)...a quarter of the students will be out with this fucking thing between now and labor day.  At our campus alone, that'll be 2,000 lost class days before the first 9 weeks are up.  Probably more.  And no remote learning is allowed, so they can't even just watch and listen from home.  

Gonna be real fun for the teachers to maintain a 10-day backlog on instruction and homework for 6 kids in each class while trying to stay current pace with the other 15.  Yeah, they're totally setup for that.  But nope, state leadership and EKF groups think remote learning is how kids get hooked on drugs and sucked into human trafficking or whatever the fucking conspiracy theory is this week.  I don't want remote learning, that's why we sent her back today.  But when you start getting dozens, or hundreds of kids out each week due to quarantine requirements, that's the only possible solution for them to keep pace academically.  

If you are two days in and testing positive on a virus that lies dormant for 5 days then none of these tests have fuck all to do with school opening, do they? Isn't any positive tests in the first week of school essentially a control group for how many kids are running around with this thing when not in school?  Or did I miss something and have yall been in school more than 2 days?

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It seems like a lot of kids are getting Covid-19 this week even though many experts on here said kids can't really get Covid-19. 

Kids and teachers are going to continue to get it at home, in Walmart, after school activities etc.  You could have quadruple required kid and teacher masking and people are still going to get it outside of school where no masks are worn.

• hayden_horn changed the title to AISD's (and other districts) Plans for Schools Starting August 18