COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only - Stats and such

justhookit

13 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It's too bad that MUH FREEDOMS anti-facemask gang didn't give enough of a shit about how their actions could effect others. When teachers get zero support or cohesive plan for how to operate, increased uncertainty will lead to more closures. It's all about risk mitigation, because districts would rather not put their underpaid and shorthanded teachers at risk of contracting COVID or saying "fuck this shit I'm out". Shit several educators I know personally may not even get their student debt forgiven like they were promised when they chose to start teaching - why should they continue to be underpaid child care?

Now I feel like we're back to March again with these hypothetical arguments about schools.  How many teachers are actually catching covid at school?  The doomsayers predicted teachers would be dropping like flies.  We've run the experiment and there's actually very little covid in schools and those cases that we're detecting are mostly from older kids socializing outside of school.  Again, the costs of closing schools (in terms of learning, social disruption, and caregiving) far outweigh any possible medical benefits of stemming the spread.  Schools aren't the issue and should stay open, just like they are in the rest of the world.  

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah Tarrant is insane right now.  And I was wrong in my post yesterday.  Not only is Tarrant County setting hospitalization records daily at this point but so is Denton and Collin.  Dallas is the only county in the region that has not reached the summer peak.  But we are well on our way.

Dallas' time is coming. 7-10 days after Thanksgiving, I'd imagine will be when we hit our terrible levels. I'm worried DISD is going to have to shut down in December which sucks because they'd done a pretty great job so far. 

Edited by mdmost

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Yeah Tarrant is insane right now.  And I was wrong in my post yesterday.  Not only is Tarrant County setting hospitalization records daily at this point but so is Denton and Collin.  Dallas is the only county in the region that has not reached the summer peak.  But we are well on our way.

Texas as a whole is hitting over 10,000 cases a day, and I think we just beat our July peak.

Everybody was so focused on El Paso, North Texas was like "hold my beer and watch this!"

7 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Now I feel like we're back to March again with these hypothetical arguments about schools.  How many teachers are actually catching covid at school?  The doomsayers predicted teachers would be dropping like flies.  We've run the experiment and there's actually very little covid in schools and those cases that we're detecting are mostly from older kids socializing outside of school.  Again, the costs of closing schools (in terms of learning, social disruption, and caregiving) far outweigh any possible medical benefits of stemming the spread.  Schools aren't the issue and should stay open, just like they are in the rest of the world.  

I don't disagree, but you missed my second sentence.

Closing schools is a mitigation for risk of faster and wider spread of COVID. We are at this point because as a nation, we have failed to mitigate other and easier risks. This is evident in hospitalizations and deaths at the same levels as they were in March, with significantly worse peripheral conditions and trends. Winter is coming, and all that.

If the costs of closing schools is SO BAD, then the powers that be should have taken this more seriously and encouraged people to participate in risk-mitigating behavior, rather than flaunting those recommendations and best practices (because MUH FREEDOMS). 

Schools aren't the issue right now, but I think it's a reasonable precaution to protect our only schooling system and set of educators. Especially as we head into a dark, cold, and sick winter.

EDIT: also, if we were able to get vaccine doses out to teachers nationwide, I think that schools should 100% stay open in person. But we shouldn't be staking our educators health against our current ability to contain COVID.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Dallas' time is coming. 7-10 days after Thanksgiving, I'd imagine will be when we hit our terrible levels. I'm worried DISD is going to have to shut down in December which sucks because they'd done a pretty great job so far. 

It won't shock me if we are there by the end of next week. And I agree I'm pretty impressed it really hasn't spread through the schools much.  At least from limited data I have seen (although haven't focused on it).  Knock on wood but no kids have tested positive at my kids preschool (at least none reported) and we aren't even aware of any kids having to quarantine based on a sibling or parent testing positive.  But yeah, I've told my wife to be prepared for everything shutting down at any point after Thanksgiving.  And we may pull our kids out voluntarily if it becomes clear spread has increased in our pocket.  What's crazy to me is elementary and up have been doing youth sports, father-son campouts, etc. and there just hasn't been the spread you would expect.  Have to think that's hitting eventually though.  My wife's family up in Minnesota likely all have it at the moment (half have tested positive, half tests are pending).  They think initial spread was from a kid and dad that tested positive on their 13 year old sons basketball team.

Welp another shit day for Travis County. 306 cases yesterday and 32 admits. 204 people are in the hospital (on Halloween we were at 97). The last two weeks or so have been brutal. In terms of shutting schools down I can almost guarantee it happening as there are basically three weeks between Thanksgiving break and Xmas break for AISD. I don't believe a ton of transmission happens in the school but considering how little school time is left before end of year, I can easily see hitting the "reset" button.

Age Bracket <1 1 to 9 10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80 Total
New Cases 11/18  vs 11/17 0 10 29 95 59 39 32 25 12 5 306
% of Daily Change 0.00% 3.27% 9.48% 31.05% 19.28% 12.75% 10.46% 8.17% 3.92% 1.63%  
% of Total Cases 0.51% 2.96% 9.64% 27.46% 20.78% 15.53% 11.25% 6.47% 3.23% 2.19%

• Rage+1 1

Here is view by age group of share of deaths, cases & mortality rate. Note there have been no deaths from individuals <9 years old.

10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80
Cum Share of Deaths 0.21% 0.64% 1.71% 3.43% 12.42% 21.63% 25.27% 34.69%
Cum Share of Cases 9.64% 27.46% 20.78% 15.53% 11.25% 6.47% 3.23% 2.19%
Mortality Rate 0.03% 0.03% 0.11% 0.29% 1.46% 4.42% 10.35% 20.93%

14 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

100% - further, we had the data early on that the vector between viral loading and transmission between children is quite low.  Reconciled with the depression, anxiety, and social destruction of isolating children - the answer is obvious and readily apparent when the rest of the world locks down, yet keeps the schools open.  If you have someone at home that is high risk, or the child is, then fine - keep them home.  But that is your choice.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BrazilHorn said:

Here is view by age group of share of deaths, cases & mortality rate. Note there have been no deaths from individuals <9 years old.

10 to 19 20 to 29 30 to 39 40 to 49 50 to 59 60 to 69 70 to 79 >80
Cum Share of Deaths 0.21% 0.64% 1.71% 3.43% 12.42% 21.63% 25.27% 34.69%
Cum Share of Cases 9.64% 27.46% 20.78% 15.53% 11.25% 6.47% 3.23% 2.19%
Mortality Rate 0.03% 0.03% 0.11% 0.29% 1.46% 4.42% 10.35% 20.93%

Cum causes death?  Damn.....I was a serial killer in college....

21 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

100% - further, we had the data early on that the vector between viral loading and transmission between children is quite low.  Reconciled with the depression, anxiety, and social destruction of isolating children - the answer is obvious and readily apparent when the rest of the world locks down, yet keeps the schools open.  If you have someone at home that is high risk, or the child is, then fine - keep them home.  But that is your choice.  

It would be great if we could keep the schools open, and I'd love for teachers/staff to be the first to get the vaccine after the medical/EMT folks to keep them open.

The problem still remains though, that when we reach the point where schools are being closed or operating at reduced capacity, it's because things got really shitty elsewhere, and now the powers-that-be are trying to eek out every little bit of drop in community transmission that they can, because every little bit actually does matter.

Or to kind of look at it from another angle - even if it's not hitting schools right this moment, if it reaches the point where they are talking about flipping the switch to full virtual, then that means it's on track to spread through the schools at a high rate (simply because it's already spreading through the general population).

Our leadership at state levels is not going to do shit at this point, so if we want to keep schools open, we've got to mask up, etc., and we've got to get it through to our relatives and acquaintances, who don't, that we want to keep schools open, and they need to mask up as well.  It's not rocket science. 

If you have friends/relatives who are anti-mask, don't focus on the mask wearing, focus on "do you want to keep schools, restaurants, etc. open?"

We can't convince those people, no matter how many studies we send them, but if they think it keeps schools/businesses open, some will relent.

Edited by atomheartbevo

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you have friends/relatives who are anti-mask, don't focus on the mask wearing, focus on "do you want to keep schools, restaurants, etc. open?"

We can't convince those people, no matter how many studies we send them, but if they think it keeps schools/businesses open, some will relent.

alternatively:

gmt4pc1ko6061.jpg

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be great if we could keep the schools open, and I'd love for teachers/staff to be the first to get the vaccine after the medical/EMT folks to keep them open.

The problem still remains though, that when we reach the point where schools are being closed or operating at reduced capacity, it's because things got really shitty elsewhere, and now the powers-that-be are trying to eek out every little bit of drop in community transmission that they can, because every little bit actually does matter.

Or to kind of look at it from another angle - even if it's not hitting schools right this moment, if it reaches the point where they are talking about flipping the switch to full virtual, then that means it's on track to spread through the schools at a high rate (simply because it's already spreading through the general population).

Our leadership at state levels is not going to do shit at this point, so if we want to keep schools open, we've got to mask up, etc., and we've got to get it through to our relatives and acquaintances, who don't, that we want to keep schools open, and they need to mask up as well.  It's not rocket science. 

Cases are spiking across the globe.  Are you saying this is due to a lack of global hygiene and mask wearing....or other factors, such as the corresponding seasonal spikes we see YOY due to weakened immune systems, etc that occur in late Q3 and most of Q4?  Are you also saying that is we all "just wore masks"...this spike would have been avoided here, as well as in countries across the world?  Or are there other factors at play beyond just 6ft and a piece of cloth across you nose and mouth; which when I do go out, I see the vast majority of people wearing?  Especially in businesses and stores where it is mandatory.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Cases are spiking across the globe.  Are you saying this is due to a lack of global hygiene and mask wearing....or other factors, such as the corresponding seasonal spikes we see YOY due to weakened immune systems, etc that occur in late Q3 and most of Q4?  Are you also saying that is we all "just wore masks"...this spike would have been avoided here, as well as in countries across the world?  Or are there other factors at play beyond just 6ft and a piece of cloth across you nose and mouth; which when I do go out, I see the vast majority of people wearing?  Especially in businesses and stores where it is mandatory.

Yep. In May and June people were generally not giving a F and it started spreading and the mask mandate seemed to knock it down within a matter of weeks.  Seasonality of this virus has to be having a significant impact (which is what most experts predicted).

Just now, Skipper said:

Yep. In May and June people were generally not giving a F and it started spreading and the mask mandate seemed to knock it down within a matter of weeks.  Seasonality of this virus has to be having a significant impact (which is what most experts predicted).

Of course.  We all saw this coming.  My question is this - do we have evidence mask usage is dropping, correlating to a spike, or are we factoring in other variables (that we lump in as seasonality) such as being indoors more, weakened immune systems, cooler weather, etc.  Were the US seeing the only spike, I'd agree it's behavioral....but it's not.  Spikes are happening across the world, and yet most are still keeping the schools open - which is the point here.  

Also if you believe that the masks work best when covering the faces of the sick, it doesn’t take much noncompliance to keep the viral spread high, as one unmasked infected person walking the aisles of a store can infect several masked people. 

as for schools, I heard our little district was in danger of having to close down at least a campus if not the whole district due to lack of available teachers, because too many were either sick or exposed and quarantined.  I believe I heard that from a teacher, so might be something- might be bullshit. 

26 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Of course.  We all saw this coming.  My question is this - do we have evidence mask usage is dropping

Difficult to quantify. I mean I think we all probably know, because we're purportedly all functioning adults with brains, that general caution has slipped as of late. Not just in the US, but everywhere. But we do know via contact tracing that the majority of spread happens at bars, restaurants, and especially at indoor private gatherings. All of which are places where people don't wear masks. Anecdotally I'm sure we've all seen our friends and even ourselves get more lax with gatherings and taking risks. 

Not sure where you're going with your post, but a few thoughts:

- Europe is not immune to stupid people, nor are they immune to Covid fatigue.

- Places where people have been diligent about masks and distancing (mostly in APAC) largely have the virus under control. These are also places that haven't politicized the virus where you have a party or a group that is going around telling people that masks don't work and not to let the virus stop them from going to Chili's. Europe has that shit too. I can't take it much further without CR'ing it, but you don't see a political party front and center shouting that masks are taking away their freedoms in Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, etc. You do in Europe and of course you do here.

But I don't disagree that it's a number of factors at play, like you mentioned. I only jumped in to counter the assertion that "masks may or may not work" as Trey was saying. That's bunk and doesn't belong on a forum with a bunch of educated folks. We know masks work. It's not a nebulous gray area. Otherwise I'm not really sure where this conversation is going. We are in for a painful winter, for lots of reasons. Some "virus gonna virus" and some that are cultural. Covid sucks. We will see a bunch of stories of people who killed grandma and grandpa at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Won't be my family, and I hope all of you guys stay safe as well.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Difficult to quantify. I mean I think we all probably know, because we're purportedly all functioning adults with brains, that general caution has slipped as of late. Not just in the US, but everywhere. But we do know via contact tracing that the majority of spread happens at bars, restaurants, and especially at indoor private gatherings. All of which are places where people don't wear masks. Anecdotally I'm sure we've all seen our friends and even ourselves get more lax with gatherings and taking risks. 

Not sure where you're going with your post, but a few thoughts:

- Europe is not immune to stupid people, nor are they immune to Covid fatigue.

- Places where people have been diligent about masks and distancing (mostly in APAC) largely have the virus under control. These are also places that haven't politicized the virus where you have a party or a group that is going around telling people that masks don't work and not to let the virus stop them from going to Chili's. Europe has that shit too. I can't take it much further without CR'ing it, but you don't see a political party front and center shouting that masks are taking away their freedoms in Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, etc. You do in Europe and of course you do here.

But I don't disagree that it's a number of factors at play, like you mentioned. I only jumped in to counter the assertion that "masks may or may not work" as Trey was saying. That's bunk and doesn't belong on a forum with a bunch of educated folks. We know masks work. It's not a nebulous gray area. Otherwise I'm not really sure where this conversation is going. We are in for a painful winter, for lots of reasons. Some "virus gonna virus" and some that are cultural. Covid sucks. We will see a bunch of stories of people who killed grandma and grandpa at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Won't be my family, and I hope all of you guys stay safe as well.

The point being yes, masks work.  What we do not know, yet are trying to attribute, is whether there is any correlation between usage rates and the spike in cases.  So to assert - 'stupid people' are the cause for the spike and why our kids might have their school shut down, is in itself a false premise as it omits many other recurring factors we see YOY at this time of the year.  I'd argue more, not less people wear them as it's become normalized and all but mandatory in most places we patronize.  

Anecdotal, but my friends (for which I have on both ends of the spectrum) that were initially "this is stupid", now just shrug their shoulders and grumble, yet wear them anyway.  As for the bars/restaurants, to bring this back, is not a factor in children spreading, ergo the need to shut down the schools - which again is the primary assertion, causes more harm than good to the children, especially the very young ones

The point being yes, masks work.  What we do not know, yet are trying to attribute, is whether there is any correlation between usage rates and the spike in cases.  So to assert - 'stupid people' are the cause for the spike and why our kids might have their school shut down, is in itself a false premise as it omits many other recurring factors we see YOY at this time of the year.  I'd argue more, not less people wear them as it's become normalized and all but mandatory in most places we patronize.  
Anecdotal, but my friends (for which I have on both ends of the spectrum) that were initially "this is stupid", now just shrug their shoulders and grumble, yet wear them anyway.  As for the bars/restaurants, to bring this back, is not a factor in children spreading, ergo the need to shut down the schools - which again is the primary assertion, causes more harm than good to the children, especially the very young ones

I have the exact opposite experience in terms of mask usage than you do. But I live in a county with a lot of stupid people.

And saying we're unable to associate a spike to mask usage is obfuscating the issue. The issue is that we know masks work. Other factors also contributing to a spike doesn't change that

Regarding schools, I don't have a dog in that fight. Thankfully my kid isn't school age yet.

I think that, like the whole "co-morbidities"/underlying conditions thing, school is a more subtle issue that's being treated binary.

A guy who's BP is 121/81 is "hypertensive," just as a guy who's BP is 150/100.  So they both have "co-morbidities" for COVID-speak.  But that shit ain't the same.

My kids are in high school.  They are doing OK on the online thing.  Would be better in person, probably.  But they live with a 70-year old grandmother who is severely immunocompromised due to medications she takes.  And the "kids don't spread COVID all that much" thing isn't really statistically true past the age of 14.  So it's just not worth it.  If we didn't have the online option we'd be homeschooling.

On the other hand, I cannot imagine how hard it would be to have, say, first graders trying to learn online.  That seems like a non-starter for parents and teachers.  I'm just glad I'm not there.

So to me this binary "send all the kids back to school" thing is oversimplifying.   

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

this. mask usage is completely anecdotal.  I have been around to the 4 major cities in Texas in the last 2 months and mask usage was 90% plus indoors anywhere.

Europe as been on a mask usage lockdown for months.  Everyone wears masks over there all the time and most governments mandate them and under penalty if you don't.

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Difficult to quantify. I mean I think we all probably know, because we're purportedly all functioning adults with brains, that general caution has slipped as of late.

I know no such thing, in the 915 mask usage has always been pretty good but usage is higher now than ever here in my anecdotal observation only no cr.

3 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

It's because we're stupid, and not smart like you.

Smart enough to recognize unique characteristics EP has that many other cities do not.  Everyone who mentions EP, but conveniently omits Juarez & Chihuahua is not telling the whole story.  You have tens of thousands of workers crossing back and forth daily in a region of more than 3M people.  You have gatherings and shopping of course, but a significantly higher proportion of generational living akin to what we saw in Italy living under one roof.  EP can mandate what they want.  Juarez is another story.  Even with similar messaging and mandates, Juarez and Chihuahua are beyond impoverished, 100% cartel controlled, and extremely limited in all things medical related.  So are we advocating shutting down the border completely in the region to isolate and contain the virus (being facetious of course).  It's more complex than "see......they're just not wearing their masks......."

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Smart enough to recognize unique characteristics EP has that many other cities do not.  Everyone who mentions EP, but conveniently omits Juarez & Chihuahua is not telling the whole story.  You have tens of thousands of workers crossing back and forth daily in a region of more than 3M people.  You have gatherings and shopping of course, but a significantly higher proportion of generational living akin to what we saw in Italy living under one roof.  EP can mandate what they want.  Juarez is another story.  Even with similar messaging and mandates, Juarez and Chihuahua are beyond impoverished, 100% cartel controlled, and extremely limited in all things medical related.  So are we advocating shutting down the border completely in the region to isolate and contain the virus (being facetious of course).  It's more complex than "see......they're just not wearing their masks......."

How are all those juarez residents sneaking all the way into east TX and Dallas to drive infections there? (Nice dog whistle of brown people bringing disease tho)

• Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

How are all those juarez residents sneaking all the way into east TX and Dallas to drive infections there? (Nice dog whistle of brown people bringing disease tho)

Jesus you a absolute, fucking beating.  Go fuck your own face and leave the grown ups alone for a little while.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So they're catching it because a bunch of them live together under one roof and don't wear masks?

image.jpeg.0529534bf5a9e7002c589b04abf2943c.jpeg

Did you think you were making some kind of point? Because I can't figure it out.

Just now, BradInATX said:

So they're catching it because a bunch of them live together under one roof and don't wear masks?

image.jpeg.0529534bf5a9e7002c589b04abf2943c.jpeg

Did you think you were making some kind of point? Because I can't figure it out.

I'm saying the spike in cases specifically in EP is a little more complicated than just attributing to a lack of social distancing and masks.....

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'm saying the spike in cases specifically in EP is a little more complicated than just attributing to a lack of social distancing and masks.....

I mean it's not though. By very definition a bunch of people living together are not socially distanced or masked.

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Which is.... That they're mexican and will bring disease over the border? What's the additional complicating factors that differentiate EP from east TX from north TX? Show your work and maybe people won't assume you're posting in bad faith

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Which is.... That they're mexican and will bring disease over the border? What's the additional complicating factors that differentiate EP from east TX from north TX? Show your work and maybe people won't assume you're posting in bad faith

How are you a functioning graduate being so monumentally fucking stupid?  It's not people crossing from Juarez to EP, it's people going to EP to Juarez.  EP is relatively locked down.  Juarez on the other hand is not.  The cases in Juarez are skyrocketing at a faster rate than EP (which is an estimate, as they have little to no medical coverage).  It recently kicked back to the highest infection levels since this started.  Even the mayor got it.  The same that admitted his curfew has done very little as nobody abides by it and it is impossible to track the thousands of small factories and jobs that have zero enforcement of any kind related to the infections.  Would masks help.  Sure.  Is this more complicated than just masks.  Sure as well.  Did @Captainant get called out by the mods for being a sandy vagged bitch.  Also sure.

The U.S. and Mexico agreed months ago to restrict cross-border traffic to essential activity, but there has been little evidence Mexico has blocked anyone from entering. Other Mexican border cities have complained about people entering from U.S. cities that are suffering from virus outbreaks.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, GringoSalado said:

Don't know how good contact tracing is but big box stores and trips to Juárez rank #1 & #2 for sources of infections.

Interesting. Where'd you see that? Not doubting you, I just haven't read much about the El Paso outbreak. Big Box surprises me a bit.

Take it for what it's worth... There's a screenshot of a text exchange floating around the facebooks between a user and Austin Public Health confirming that patients transferred into Austin hospitals from outside the area do count against our numbers.

2 hours ago, smoky said:

Take it for what it's worth... There's a screenshot of a text exchange floating around the facebooks between a user and Austin Public Health confirming that patients transferred into Austin hospitals from outside the area do count against our numbers.

I don't think they are transferring covid patients -- rather other patients to make room for covid patients and to make sure non-covid patients are separated from ones with the virus. So it may count against our numbers of available hospital beds but not cv19.

6 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

To my knowledge, literally no one, at least in the last 10 pages of this thread, has made that argument.  

*Raises hand*

I'm as constant as the northern star - back in the summer, I said all schools should be open and I still believe today that all schools should be 100% open and in-person. 

Obviously, if individual parents wish to keep their kid home and home-school them out of an abundance of caution if they have a unique living situation, that's their prerogative.  But virtually every study has said that schools are safe...including this one released today.

• Hook 'Em 1