So, am I getting another $3900 check? Should I?

Wulaw Horn

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I honestly am thinking Trump does not give one shit if Mitch loses the Senate to the Dems

You are correct. Trump doesn’t give a shit. If they lose the senate, he can blame the lack of support for him. If the keep the senate, he can take credit. But in no way does he give a shit either way 

• Hook 'Em 2

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think they are at 6 R Senators who have publicly said they support it now.  The Georgia Senators must be seeing polling that shows they need to support it, even at the risk of offending the fiscal conservatives.   That’s very interesting that they would cross that group.  

But they also don’t need Trump screaming at them a week before their election.  

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think they are at 6 R Senators who have publicly said they support it now.  The Georgia Senators must be seeing polling that shows they need to support it, even at the risk of offending the fiscal conservatives.   That’s very interesting that they would cross that group.  

We all know how this plays out

Senate GOP leadership plays games, amends the House legislation to include the Section 230 and election fraud poison pills, Democrats refuse to vote for it, it fails, no one gets any money and somehow becomes Pelosi and Schumer's fault.   McConnell escapes without blame - ah well, nevertheless. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, Js1 said:

Senate GOP leadership plays games, amends the House legislation to include the Section 230 and election fraud poison pills, Democrats refuse to vote for it, it fails, no one gets any money and somehow becomes Pelosi and Schumer's fault.   McConnell escapes without blame - ah well, nevertheless. 

Bernie will tie it up if that happens and too many people are now paying attention.   Perdue and Loeffler need this.  

12 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

He was born on a napkin. They had wanted some other character, who knows, mighta been cool. But what they wanted wasn't a French Armadillo with a cigarette and attitude. So I drew them that instead.

IIRC his back story is he fell asleep in a box in Houston, and ended up on a flight to France, where he grew up. Later, deported to Texas, he doubled down on the French snob aspect. The website is still active and includes an Aggy squirrel.

https://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/

DmmKHGHUwAAOSjX.jpg

17 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

fiscal conservatives: conservatism   Proud boys: patriotism 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

Eh, people RVing and camping doesn’t really bother me. Hell, we could’ve fucking given every family an RV and told them to knock themselves out for two or three months doing whatever they wanted so long as restaurants and bars were closed and it would’ve been better than what we did. Every Buccees would’ve been an absolute shitshow, but that’s already been the case...

The bigger problem isn’t the “hey my family and I went on road trips,” so much as the blithe context in which it was delivered (seemingly ignoring the utter devastation covid has wrought on many families because hey, we still got to watch football).

Again, sarcasm and putting something obviously minor in relation to shit that’s obviously major. 

34 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is just part of the plan, get your headlines in that you support it. Have Mitch pass it, campaign on it for 6 days in hopes to win. $300 billion in additional costs to keep the Senate is totally worth it to Mitch. 

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bernie will tie it up if that happens and too many people are now paying attention.   Perdue and Loeffler need this.  

There needs to be 8 more yes votes to avoid some shit bag like Cruz filibustering it and hiding behind "the national debt." 

He'd do it too.  

54 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Mitch is gonna fuck around and find out.  He’s decided to kill the checks by linking them to the fraud that’s in Trump’s head

No wai

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

Mitch McConnell makes me ashamed to be an American. 

I honestly kind of wonder what McConnell’s childhood was like. We all know about the polio, but he has some lifelong unresolved issues that he has spent his entire adult life taking out on people. There is no way to be this cold as a human being without having suffered some kind of major emotional trauma.

It’s pretty sad in a way that someone derives their source of joy from the hurt they cause others. That internalized  anger he has just keeps burning him up and folks who aren’t able to fight back get to be the continual recipient of his ire.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Mitch is gonna fuck around and find out.  He’s decided to kill the checks by linking them to the fraud that’s in Trump’s head

Everyone has to pay for their transgressions at some point. It would I think be fitting for him to f around and find out what it is like to be the target of anger of millions of Americans that desperately need those checks, but aren’t getting them because of him.

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I honestly kind of wonder what McConnell’s childhood was like. We all know about the polio, but he has some lifelong unresolved issues that he has spent his entire adult life taking out on people. There is no way to be this cold as a human being without having suffered some kind of major emotional trauma.

It’s pretty sad in a way that someone derives their source of joy from the hurt they cause others. That internalized  anger he has just keeps burning him up and folks who aren’t able to fight back get to be the continual recipient of his ire.

mitch, being a turtle, is 100% reptile brained

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I'm listening to these senators talk. Is it against the rules to call out McConnell? 

“Nevertheless she persisted.”

“While Senator Warren was reading the letter from Mrs. King, Presiding Senate Chair Steve Daines of Montana interrupted her, reminding her of Senate Rule XIX,[3] which prohibits ascribing "to another senator or to other senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a senator".[4][5]

Senator Warren stated that she had said that only former Senator Kennedy had called Senator Sessions a disgrace, and she asked whether reading King's letter, which had been admitted into the Senate Record in 1986, was a violation of Senate Rules. Senator Daines again quoted Rule XIX. Senator Warren asked to continue reading Mrs. King's letter, and Senator Daines allowed her to do so.

While Senator Warren continued reading the letter, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky interrupted, saying, "The senator has impugned the motives and conduct of our colleague from Alabama, as warned by the chair." Senator McConnell objected to a line from Ms. King's letter, "Mr. Sessions has used the awesome power of his office to chill the free exercise of the vote by black citizens",[7] which Senator Warren had quoted prior to the warning.[6]

Senator Warren said she was "surprised that the words of Coretta Scott King are not suitable for debate in the United States Senate" and requested to continue. Senator Daines asked whether there was objection. Senator McConnell objected, and Senator Daines called for a vote, saying, "The senator will take her seat", preventing Senator Warren from continuing.[5] The Senate voted to sustain McConnell's objection along party lines, 49–43, silencing Warren for the duration of the Sessions confirmation hearings.”

22 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Everyone has to pay for their transgressions at some point. It would I think be fitting for him to f around and find out what it is like to be the target of anger of millions of Americans that desperately need those checks, but aren’t getting them because of him.

Problem is that Americans by and large have goldfish brain and/or Fox News brain.  Most people will either forget this happened or blame it on Dems.

1 minute ago, burntorangebongos said:

Looks like he is going for B and banking that people are too ignorant about Senate rules to understand that the dems have to vote against it due to 230 and voter fraud bullshit.  

Surely, they thought of this maneuver by Mitch and have an answer? They know what he is. Come on Schumer and dems.

They should have been messaging the whole thing ahead of the inevitable and obvious (the B scenario above). Everyone knew that's what was coming. Several of us on this thread called it. 

They should have been out there laying groundwork that any changes to the clean bill were attempts by the GOP to sabotage the whole thing, so that when McConnell inevitably did it, it boxed him into a corner. 

Imagine if they had held back 1% of the money they spent on commercials for the Biden campaign that did absolutely nothing except saturate every commercial break and had been running commercials for the past week warning people of the incoming McConnell sabotage of their $2k checks?

"The house is going to put a clean $2000 bill in front of Mitch McConnell. He and the GOP can sign it right away and get money to you and your family. Or they can play political games and tie it to poison pills such as restricting the 1st amendment online and trying to overturn the election. Let's hope for your family's sake they don't do that. Pass the clean bill, Mitch". Or something more clever that some marketing firm comes up with.

• Like 2

I can't think of anything more likely to shut their precious Parler down than repealing 230. I'm guessing the legislation would keep protections but not allow Facebook or twitter to tag posts as being bullshit which is exactly what they got yelled at for not doing after the 2016 election. 

democrats are so easily kicked around, it's fucking infuriating
And they act shocked when they repeatedly get whipped at the messaging game in modern, technology driven America.

"I just don't understand why the Republicans keep beating us at the marketing game", laments 125 year old Nancy Pelosi as she dictates an email to her aide who types it up and sends it to the DNC via Pelosi's AOL dialup.
  • Haha 1

Rs didn’t have the votes. The two GA Senators don’t want it to come to a vote. They just needed to come out for it before Mitch did this. Very similar to Collins coming out against ACB after they had Murkowski agree to her. 

Hawley doesn’t want it. He can just now run on it in 2024. 

Yes, the Rs know what the fuck they are doing. They are really good at being evil. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Foosters said:

what exactly is in the 'voter fraud' portion of the bill?

Like the actual fraud, nothing.  Whatever you want it to be. 

Donald Trump has not gotten it through his head that the U.S. Congress cannot legislate elections.  

I dont think Schumer is the right guy to lead the senate. We need a devious asshole to fuck Mitch in the face like a Rick Wilson or Steve Schmidt type. Maybe Klobachar? 
Not sure about the Senate but Ted Lieu and AOC are consistently the best and most effective brand builders and GOP foils in the party. They haven't put Lieu in the spotlight and they actively thwart and shun AOC.
  • Rage+1 2