Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It wasn’t a late hit in real time though. It’s not like the whistle blew the play dead.  So late hit does not come into play, any more than when they change a fumble recovery to an incomplete pass, what happens after the incomplete pass isn’t late hits. 

Agreed. I said it was reversed. All that’s left is what happens next drive, and a free kick from the 20 versus punt from the end zone it’s easy to argue we were still +1.   But officiating was trash that’s inarguable.

Scott Campbell admits he may not be a good ref

“The minute you walk out onto the football field, the coaches are already sizing you up, good, bad, or indifferent. If you carry a little extra weight, you can be the best official in the world, but they already have their pre-judgments about you,” he says. “I’ve always tried to put it in my favor: I might not be that good, but if I look the part, it might save me a little trouble during the game.”

Ref cares more about lifting than reffing

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, troph said:

Ok that’s compelling. I change my answer. It’s still not intentional grounding … ever. But if he’s down, late hit does come into play. But it starts as a safety and if targeting is the only foul that was reversed 2pts Texas. 

if they don't whistle him down it can't be a late hit.

The fucked up and missed the call live and in review. it should have been a safety for Texas.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You’re a fucking moron. Young was wrapped up and in the grasp. That play is blown dead at that point 99/100 times, with the one time it’s not called coming today.

Throwing upside being rolled on top of a defender should not happen and for good reason: to protect the quarterback from being finished like [checks notes] what happened to Ewers earlier in the game after he threw a pass.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

College football doesn’t have an ‘in the grasp’ rule like the NFL you fucking tool…

Correct. There is no “in the grasp” rule; however, forward progress cannot be ignored. If a quarterback is moving forward or is stationary and is grabbed by a defender and thrown backward, the quarterback's forward progress is stopped and the down has ended.

Per Referee.com

11 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Whatever happened to the runner getting in the ref's face and indicating that he just got facemasked? Is that against the rules now? Shame those bastards in front of the camera. I mean the ref fucking saw it happen. Let them know that everyone watching the game knows that they missed a call. I find it hard to believe that the ref, having just missed an obvious call, is going to flag the person who almost had his head ripped off. If the move is quick enough, I think that ref might just decide to call the facemask.

Recall

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, Nivek said:

From the conference that ran a replay and ignored the player running out of bounds then illegally touching the football? That conference?

how much you wanna bet if that "pass" had been intercepted for a TD, they would have reviewed and declared him down?

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

also, the reason the ref threw the flag for late hit/roughing the passer was because he thought Young was down.

Replay should have resulted in a safety and no targeting. IG wasn’t even close, everyone moved to that and skipped his calf dragging the turf (myself included). Bad call to go with at least 2 other egregious non calls (face mask, PI in the end zone). I’d add holding but that’s a garden variety ref fucking even when it means the other team is able to have a big play. Truth is there were 4 catastrophic calls if you add the holding on Bryce’s scramble.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

also, the reason the ref threw the flag for late hit/roughing the passer was because he thought Young was down.

If he thought that, then 1) he should have blown the whistle and 2) he was down so review should have confirmed that instead of incomplete pass. 

Was there actually a flag or was it a booth initiated targeting review, and that’s where the penalty confusion began?

13 hours ago, hookem48 said:

all you can really tell for sure is it wasn't going to be grounding, #2 is right there.

On Card’s intentional grounding, Sanders was just as close to the ball. Granted, his back was turned and he was blocking, there was still a receiver in the area. If that intentional grounding then Young’s throw was too.

It happens to be immaterial in this instance for a couple of reasons, but the explanation yesterday that you can’t review intentional grounding is hilarious. Firstly because why not, and secondly because we’ve all seen plays where the officials huddle after a coach and players scream for grounding and drop the flag well after the play is over. Probably after watching the play on the stadium screen. That’s essentially a review to check for all the elements of grounding, as seen by the different officials.

i also hope that the rule isn’t that it couldn’t be IG because it hit a defensive player. A tipped pass is one thing, but in this instance if 2 wasn’t standing in the same general area as overshown then the ball hitting overshown shouldn’t negate IG. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It happens to be immaterial in this instance for a couple of reasons, but the explanation yesterday that you can’t review intentional grounding is hilarious. Firstly because why not, and secondly because we’ve all seen plays where the officials huddle after a coach and players scream for grounding and drop the flag well after the play is over. Probably after watching the play on the stadium screen. That’s essentially a review to check for all the elements of grounding, as seen by the different officials.

i also hope that the rule isn’t that it couldn’t be IG because it hit a defensive player. A tipped pass is one thing, but in this instance if 2 wasn’t standing in the same general area as overshown then the ball hitting overshown shouldn’t negate IG. 

while the whole thing is a fuckup because it was a safety. If  QB throws a ball say at a rushing DL and it hits his legs or any other part of him it isn't IG.  you just dont see qb's do that because a) its risky and b) its the opposite of what they are trained to do.

24 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

merlin_176700381_709524cd-fbfe-499c-af77-596f80821067-superJumbo.jpg

I mean thats a nice picture but I seriously doubt that is what a day in the life of a San Jose firefighter looks like especially since he says in the article that he just lifts all the time during his shifts. Speaking of which, no 54yr old is getting ripped like that no matter how much he lifts without steroids.  Long term steroid use can affect his vision and judgement.  Hopefully he is being drug tested. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the refs were honestly just so surprised that Alabama was cheating so badly, and playing so dirty, that they didn't feel like they could call every single foul.  They called a bunch of them, but I feel like they just gave up when they realized just how much Alabama was cheating.

It's like the way OU o-line holds.  It happens so egregiously and on every single play, and if the refs called it every time, then the game would literally come to a standstill.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, ONE YARD said:

So do refs get even basic background checks?  Just curious  

Big 12:  Hey how do you feel about Texas?

Candidate Ref:  I hate them! bunch of libruls elitists that sip tea.

Big 12: Good, now how are your morals?  If you say were given a script, and even if some of it was questionable could you commit to the script?

Candidate Ref: Do i get to fuck over Texas?

Big 12: well I can't say that (Smiles)

Candidate Ref: I'm your man.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I think the refs were honestly just so surprised that Alabama was cheating so badly, and playing so dirty, that they didn't feel like they could call every single foul.  They called a bunch of them, but I feel like they just gave up when they realized just how much Alabama was cheating.

It's like the way OU o-line holds.  It happens so egregiously and on every single play, and if the refs called it every time, then the game would literally come to a standstill.

haha.  no.  

not calling penalties doesn't impact the game more than there being two different rule books.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Two different rulebooks?  Not sure what you mean by that?

One restrictive rulebook for Texas, one loose rulebook for our opponents.  two different holding definitions.  two different pass interference definitions.  Facemasks calls are very different.  Helmet loss and still playing.   Delay of game.   etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nivek said:

One restrictive rulebook for Texas, one loose rulebook for our opponents.  two different holding definitions.  two different pass interference definitions.  Facemasks calls are very different.  Helmet loss and still playing.   Delay of game.   etc.  

Ah.  Okay.  Sure seems that way quite often.

In the 90’s, Jerry Sloan taught the Jazz to foul so consistently that they could gain and advantage because eventually it wears down the officials
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Might just be a funny/dumb question but is there anything for Texas to do about this?  

Sack the QB on the corner blitz. 

1 minute ago, Eskimohorn said:

In the 90’s, Jerry Sloan taught the Jazz to foul so consistently that they could gain and advantage because eventually it wears down the officials

Pretty sure Barry Switzer taught the same thing at OU in the 70s / 80s 

Might just be a funny/dumb question but is there anything for Texas to do about this?  

Do we publicly ask explanation from conference?  

Not expecting to change anything but can we at least make these cocksuckers sweat by putting their incompetence/corruption on blast for everyone to see?

going to sec will make things worse imo.

5 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Yeah and I guess teach our guys to stay up when getting dragged down by their face masks and how to catch the ball around defenders back when being driven out of bounds.  Gotta adapt!

Fuck the refs, Texas coulda still won. That’s all I’m saying. And this shit will happen all year and the next and we will get the newcomer treatment in the SEC so actually yeah, push their shit in so bad it doesn’t matter. Texas can blame the refs in this case with a straight face or they can also look at key plays Bijan falling on the card sack missing protection (btw look at his pass blocking score it was bad), watts missing the sack, card delaying the throw to worthy in the end zone, FG miss, and probably a half dozen other plays that had nothing to do with the refs. Texas lost because of the refs is fine but we better get used to shitty calls going and coming. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Of course Texas still could have won.  And I'm quite certain the coaches are pointing out how to improve the team's play.  That's their job.

But having to overcome the other team plus the refs, was just too much. The proof is in the pudding.  Texas not only played well enough to win, Texas was blowing their doors off for much of the game.  The refs are THE factor that evened it up for Alabama.

That's all WE'RE saying.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, troph said:

Fuck the refs, Texas coulda still won. That’s all I’m saying. And this shit will happen all year and the next and we will get the newcomer treatment in the SEC so actually yeah, push their shit in so bad it doesn’t matter. Texas can blame the refs in this case with a straight face or they can also look at key plays Bijan falling on the card sack missing protection (btw look at his pass blocking score it was bad), watts missing the sack, card delaying the throw to worthy in the end zone, FG miss, and probably a half dozen other plays that had nothing to do with the refs. Texas lost because of the refs is fine but we better get used to shitty calls going and coming. 

Good post if you stop after telling us what you were saying.

• Haha 2