Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

Yeah as shitty as it was, in the end they got that play in the end zone right. It obviously wasn’t roughing/targeting (which ultimately wasn’t called), it wasn’t a safety on the play itself because Young fell on top of Ojomo and was never down before he threw the ball, and it wasn’t a safety via a grounding penalty because once DO deflects the ball the obligation to throw it past the LOS ends. They totally blew the missed hold, missed face mask, and two missed DPIs in the first quarter, but I  think they (probably accidentally) got this one right….

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Yeah as shitty as it was, in the end they got that play in the end zone right. It obviously wasn’t roughing/targeting (which ultimately wasn’t called), it wasn’t a safety on the play itself because Young fell on top of Ojomo and was never down before he threw the ball, and it wasn’t a safety via a grounding penalty because once DO deflects the ball the obligation to throw it past the LOS ends. They totally blew the missed hold, missed face mask, and two missed DPIs in the first quarter, but I  think they (probably accidentally) got this one right….

that's what I've been saying, everyone and their grandma, including a ton of articles on the net say it was a safety.  it wasn't and it might not have even been close.  he threw the ball from outside the tackle box, had a receiver right there (might have been a back), he actually had some velocity on the throw and it was blocked by a defender.  it's just not IG.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

that's what I've been saying, everyone and their grandma, including a ton of articles on the net say it was a safety.  it wasn't and it might not have even been close.  he threw the ball from outside the tackle box, had a receiver right there (might have been a back), he actually had some velocity on the throw and it was blocked by a defender.  it's just not IG.

The alcohol made me miss most of this explanation, so thank you.

Just now, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The no call on the facemask was egregious as were some of the 1st half PI no calls.  Just all around shitty officiating.

Those weren’t even “bang bang” calls.  If a ref can’t make those calls then they shouldn’t be allowed to ref a game.  The face mask non call was ridiculous because it turned his whole fucking head around.  There were 2 refs standing there and I guarantee they saw it but chose not to call it.  Just like the PI calls.  Guy was mugging Sanders in the end zone, the refs watched it and decided nah we won’t call that.  

• Hook 'Em 3

On Young’s scramble at the end of the game they definitely missed the OL holding are guy.  I can tell you that throughout the course of that game and all games there were tons of holds not called on Texas and Bama that should have been called because that is just what happens in football.  What you rarely see is a QB scramble to the outside and a defensive player get held like that when is in position to make the tackle and it not be called.  Now would the Texas player have made that tackle?  Maybe, maybe not.  The ref in the backfield would have a clear view of that hold and for some reason chose not to call it.  The 81 yard running play by Bama was similar.  I think it was Ford that got tackled by a OL in the hole where the RB went through.  Should be called every time but gee, the refs somehow missed that one.  I am sure when we play Baylor they will negate some huge Bijan run with a holding call on the other side of the field from the actual play.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

And yet, they got the calls that scored them points and kept us from scoring. In short: go fuck yourself. 

this.  all of Bama's penalties were obvious, most of them were lining up offsides, jumping the count, illegal shift/motion.  even the personal fouls/PI's were obvious as well.  none of them were questionable and Saban knew it.

Bama should have had more like 20 penalties.  hell our "blindside" block was extremely questionable.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Was Young outside the tackles?

i posted a video above, yes I think he was as he rolled over he was on the "S" in Texas when he threw the ball and the tackle was lined up near the hash mark which was near the "A" in Texas.  I'm also not sure it matters, the judgment call was that he was trying to make a play and it was blocked by the defender (helmet), that's kind of it, I think, but I'm not a rules hawk.

13 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Not the best angle or stoppage point but sure as hell looks like his left forearm (not just hand) is down

Screenshot_20220910-164906_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cbfd49ed95c4d08d5b2ed484821668c5.jpg

I think it has to include the elbow, but i'm not a rules hawk. for a better view look at the video I posted at the end of the previous play, he's clearly never down.  fucker.

I think in the end the play was super bizarre but accidentally called correctly on IG but was a complete cluster on the roughing call.

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, troph said:

Yeah but if the defensive player bats down a pass it's not intentional grounding.  I'm being genuine here, I'm not sure it was a safety. I went back and rewatched it, he was not down, he threw the ball forward with velocity and it ricocheted off O's helmet.  I think there is a judgment call there, not sure it was as egregious as initially thought.  the targeting was dumb, possibly criminal.

he's also possibly outsidde the tackle box, he threw it forward, there was an eligible receiver near the goal line (#2 WR), the defense batted it down (with their helmet)... I'm honestly having a hard time seeing it as a clear IG call that was missed.

whole play - ignore the penalty, focus on it simply as a pass:

this is the video to watch, he's not down, he's outside the tackle box, a RB is close and the defender deflected the pass.

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

??????

You literally can't even see his left forearm in that photo.   

What part of "not the best angle or stoppage point " was confusing? 

I was at the game and tried to find replays I could pause on my phone afterwards. The angle in the stadium didn't show his left arm. I saw a tweet with a better look but couldn't pause it...if you're on Team Rec Specs then be my guest

43 minutes ago, troph said:

I think it has to include the elbow, but i'm not a rules hawk. for a better view look at the video I posted at the end of the previous play, he's clearly never down.  fucker.

For rules clarification, any part of the body other than a hand or foot touching the ground means the runner is down.

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Those weren’t even “bang bang” calls.  If a ref can’t make those calls then they shouldn’t be allowed to ref a game.  The face mask non call was ridiculous because it turned his whole fucking head around.  There were 2 refs standing there and I guarantee they saw it but chose not to call it.  Just like the PI calls.  Guy was mugging Sanders in the end zone, the refs watched it and decided nah we won’t call that.  

Yeah those 2 non calls were the worst.  The one non call PI when the DB pulled back on Worthy's shoulder wasn't as bad.  I could see that one get missed in live action...

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

You’re a fucking moron. Young was wrapped up and in the grasp. That play is blown dead at that point 99/100 times, with the one time it’s not called coming today.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

FcUnAuSXEAAzls2?format=jpg&name=large

not that they should have seen this live, but would replay not take a look at whether or not he was down?

that is what I was thinking watching it live.  his shin/calf was down but they wouldn't show the replay that showed it in the stadium.  It was a safety and replay should have confirmed it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, troph said:

Thank you. None of his forehand touched the ground. Only his hand. 

My post to which you responded was only a rules clarification. Don't necessarily agree with your conclusion, however.

During the broadcast, it seemed as either his calf/shin or a bit of his forearm might've touched before throwing the ball away, but I wasn't certain.

It was an incredibly weird sequence; I can't fault the refs for missing whether Young was down, but the initial targeting and roughing the passer calls were ludicrous and demonstrate just how inept the crew was.

• Like 1

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

No. They probably saw his helmet askew and decided he must have been hit in the head. 

Kind of like when our RB was running towards the end zone and the Bama defensive player reached out across the front of his helmet and his whole head spun around.  The natural inclination would be to assume he just got facemasked, yet strangely they didn’t call a facemask even though it was a blatant one. 

• Like 2

not that they should have seen this live, but would replay not take a look at whether or not he was down?

Fuck goggles.

The fact that he said it was roughing the passer via targeting when the guy hit him in the legs with his shoulder pads and he spent 5 min looking at a safety coming up with an excuse out of his massive fuck up means he sucks ass at his job.
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok that’s compelling. I change my answer. It’s still not intentional grounding … ever. But if he’s down, late hit does come into play. But it starts as a safety and if targeting is the only foul that was reversed 2pts Texas. 

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, troph said:

Ok that’s compelling. I change my answer. It’s still not intentional grounding … ever. But if he’s down, late hit does come into play. But it starts as a safety. 

It wasn’t a late hit in real time though. It’s not like the whistle blew the play dead.  So late hit does not come into play, any more than when they change a fumble recovery to an incomplete pass, what happens after the incomplete pass isn’t late hits. 

but yeah, probably no good case for grounding. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

You’re a fucking moron. Young was wrapped up and in the grasp. That play is blown dead at that point 99/100 times, with the one time it’s not called coming today.

College football doesn’t have an ‘in the grasp’ rule like the NFL you fucking tool…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Whatever happened to the runner getting in the ref's face and indicating that he just got facemasked? Is that against the rules now? Shame those bastards in front of the camera. I mean the ref fucking saw it happen. Let them know that everyone watching the game knows that they missed a call. I find it hard to believe that the ref, having just missed an obvious call, is going to flag the person who almost had his head ripped off. If the move is quick enough, I think that ref might just decide to call the facemask.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Like 1