Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

7 minutes ago, TriStone said:

Firefighters are those dudes in the big red trucks who spray water onto fires in an effort to extinguish them.

Haha yeah I'm a 28 year firefighter, so I got that part. What I didn't get is why equate these ref fucks with firefighters (even though I do know of one retired Austin firefighter who went on to be a full-time NFL ref when he left AFD).

Edited by wood

2 minutes ago, scottsins said:

Does having the ball = “in the process of throwing a pass”?

I find that interpretation suspect AF.

Yeah that's complete bullshit. He was not in the act of throwing a pass. And the fact that the 'defenseless player' bs was what they apparently used to rationalize this fuckery just makes it even more idiotic.

1 minute ago, pacman said:

Seems so.

It sounds like you can't hit a QB in the helmet at all, while he is in the act of passing.

Except he wasn't in the act of passing.

• Hook 'Em 2

No mention of the 'touchdown ' call where the guy was 3 yards OB, sorta kinda gets back on the field, dives to catch the ball but his shoulder is out of bounds and he's juggling the ball and it hit the ground?? And the same ref that ruled it a TD had already dropped his hat indicating he knew the receiver was OB...That was a doozy. 

Also a textbook blindside block by #9 the play after the onside kick, not called. 

The big 12 refs are either incompetent, corrupt or both 

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

No mention of the 'touchdown ' call where the guy was 3 yards OB, sorta kinda gets back on the field, dives to catch the ball but his shoulder is out of bounds and he's juggling the ball and it hit the ground?? That was a doozy. 

Also a textbook blindside block by #9 the play after the onside kick, not called. 

The big 12 refs are either incompetent, corrupt or both 

... and the obvious late hit way out of bounds on Sanders. And the no call on the clear DPI on the deep ball in the 1st quarter.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, wood said:

... and the obvious late hit way out of bounds on Sanders. And the no call on the clear DPI on the deep ball in the 1st quarter.

I also seem to recall them hitting Card when he was sliding too that should’ve been a penalty and was closer to targeting that the call on Overshown. That was a bad missed call considering what they flagged Overshown for.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, scottsins said:

Nvm. That “analysis” comes from this guy:

/no CR

401bb39ddb0db1b6cf0281ce017e9830.jpg

Pretty sure I can draw you a picture of this guy.

Online, he's got black belts in at least two relatively obscure martial arts, like Jeet Kune Do and Kenpo.  And he has a PhD in military history, but he won't tell anyone where from because he can't let his real identity get out.  Bad people would like to silence him, obviously.

Offline, he weighs at least 320, he's never been to a dojo of any kind, and his military knowledge comes from slowly reading a bunch of Tom Clancy and Vince Flynn books.  But he does have a bunch of bald eagle and American flag tattoos.  And he's extremely pissed off about how the libtards are spending the almost $3k a year he pays in taxes.  Lives with Momma in a single-wide.  Etc.

• Like 2

I have people in the sec tell me "just wait til you guys are in the sec, everything goes through the Birmingham office" and sec officiating is overall terrible. 

I don't think on the whole that any officiating is going to be good, it's a thankless job where you have to oversee each play where hundreds different things are happening, but I can't see anything being worse than the big xii on this level of football. 

Our guy didn't lead with his crown, and they didn't throw a flag. They reacted to a coach throwing a fit on the sidelines and called something that will impact our player in the next game. 

We can go back seasons of this shit. I think the bottom line is the conference doesn't invest in their officiating like others, or at least that's how it appears on the field. There's no consistency and there's always some head scratching calls on both teams. The make up calls being the most egregious. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Were these guys last night Rig 12 Refs?   I saw a post on the game thread suggesting they were not.   None the less they were just as incompetent as the best Rig 12 crew if so.  

I don't think so. I pretty much recognize them now, the old dipshit the juiced up dipshit the dumb looking dipshit.

Plus there's usually 10 "huddles" by the refs per quarter by big 12 refs where they decide what the rules are. 

And more pointless long reviews of obvious calls.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Were these guys last night Rig 12 Refs?   I saw a post on the game thread suggesting they were not.   None the less they were just as incompetent as the best Rig 12 crew if so.  

I thought I read they were CUSA and replay booth was Big 12?

Spending way too much time referring to the rules and I can at least see how the refs called it...but c'mon.

An area of focus this year was I guess a QB is considered defenseless if in the pocket looking down field, basically if he is looking to pass and concentration is elsewhere (doesn't have to be in passing motion).  As to crown of helmet, that's just an easier one to call but using crown isn't required. Basically forceable contact helmet to helmet or helmet to head is all. The biggest issue comes into into being incidental in that Overshown is making a wrap up tackle and no attempt to target the QB was done. It wasn't over the top or intent to hurt etc.

Bottom line is they side on safety always but I'm really not sure how this call could/would alter defenders to make a "safer" tackle in the future. Targeting for this non-reciever blow up plays just isn't good obviously.

How a QB in the pocket could be defenseless if the guy is coming straight at him while looking at him is ridiculous.

9 hours ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Surprised I don't see any commentary on the lack of flag on utsa for the hit card while sliding .

We trying to protect qbs or not? 

I’m surprised nobody is talking about the deliberate shove hit that put Card in the turf like a rag doll. 

Was in the first couple of plays, on a missed deep shot. Ball was long gone, Card was just standing there. Then right in front of an official, one of the defenders just blindside put him in the turf. 

• Hook 'Em 1

ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

• Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

The highlighted part is why the Overshown hit should not have been targeting.  It was incidental and nothing beyond that which was required to make the tackle.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

And slow call to review that pass in the end zone they called a TD which they finally reviewed right before UTSA nearly kicked the PAT.

Corruption to the core

Yeah, Sark should have called a timeout there, but at the same time, he shouldn't NEED to.  That was some bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, sportsbay said:

What the fuck was Dallas Turner doing?  The refs for the bama game should have been drawn and quartered at mid field.

Texas QBs are never defenseless.  In bounds, out of bounds, after the ball is thrown, after the whistle is blown, while sliding, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Yesh said:

ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

• Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

The highlighted part is why the Overshown hit should not have been targeting.  It was incidental and nothing beyond that which was required to make the tackle.

Basically this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We also hated the SWC refs. I suspect we will also hate the SEC refs. So I am not anticipating the situation changing any.

Yes, you will 100% hate SEC refs. Though it will not be much different from the calls you didn't get vs Alabama two weeks ago from Big XII refs. 

That said, the league tends to benefit the teams that bring in the most money, so if Texas starts making NY6 bowls and playoffs, you will benefit from some calls and scheduling as well. 

Edited by Tomatillo

14 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Watching the officials reaction and discussing it with Sark, I don't think they understood the call either. 

How can a fucking sack be a "defenseless" player when he's still holding onto the ball? It was still a bad call if it was a "helmet to helmet" call but surely this had to be miscommunication from the review booth. 

Yeah especially as he had been evading our rush all day. If we don't tackle him, he runs for a first down. If he doesn't want to get hit, he can just take a knee whenever we get close to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

So, basically like every game we’ve played for the last 10 years? Ok. 

Yeah, they definitely show bias toward Aub/Ala regularly. Tenn got calls under Fulmer for one particular year for whatever reason (2004). Besides that, it is mostly inconsistency and individual officiating crews that tend to like or dislike certain coaches. It seems to have gotten better lately as the money has increased and our new Head of Officials is a Harvard grad from Jersey, but in the 90s and early 2000s and before that, it was a good ole boy shitshow.