2021 Head Coach Candidate Thread of Pain

BurntOrange&White

3 hours ago, Alien Octopus said:

Harsin is the answer.

If you guys are ready to sell your soul for Urban, I say we bring in A Briles, who knows how to dirty himself with the best of them, and certainly knows how to win. 

Trading one little league coach for another and expecting drastically different results is how we got here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

If we ran a real search, I think the BAH, Boston and McKinsey scorecards would all look something like this:

Kirby Smart

8 years learning the industry

8 years as Saban's DC

Given the keys to a helmet school as his first head coaching job

Big6/Playoff bowls years 2/3/4

In year 5, has a MACHINE in Athens ready to threaten his mentor

Tony Elliott

5 years learning the industry

10 years under Dabo, 4 as RB, 5 as CO-OC & RB, 2020 promoted to full OC following departure of the CO-OC

Attended the USAF Preparatory School as a football recruit in 1997.  Walked on at Clemson under Bowden in 1999.  Graduated in 2002 with a team-high 3.55 GPA.  Team Captain his last season in 2003.  As a walk-on.  Clemson career: 4 letters, 44 games, 4 starts.

Current confidence level: 75%

Has a transcendent QB.  If Lawrence leaves after this season, success in 2021 with a new QB would raise confidence to 85%.

Kirby Smart looks appealing at first glance. I’d like to see him defeat Alabama on the conference or playoff stage. He’s done a great job keeping with the top dogs in recruiting, the real question is can he win on a stage where talent is equal.

1 minute ago, USNALonghorn said:

Kirby Smart looks appealing at first glance. I’d like to see him defeat Alabama on the conference or playoff stage. He’s done a great job keeping with the top dogs in recruiting, the real question is can he win on a stage where talent is equal.

Kirby has one of the top 3 pay for play schemes going and still can't win shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, westexhorn said:

Urban is literally sitting there with a proven track record of championships at multiple places.  Does it have to be any more obvious?  Do we even want to win?

He's also sitting there with an inoperable brain cyst, a family that may not want him to get back into coaching, and a good job at Fox Sports that he seems to enjoy (and which he's really good at). If he wanted to get back into coaching then he'd probably be coaching at USC right now. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

Trading one little league coach for another and expecting drastically different results is how we got here. 

As I said in another thread, I wanted him to take over in 2012 after 63-21. I’d be totally fine with hiring him. We somehow won 8 games in 2011 with that patchwork offense then in 2012 we had a pretty good offense but Mack meddled with everything. I think he’d kill it here. But yeah, 2 straight mid major hires, let’s write urban a blank check and have him groom a Ryan Day for us

8 hours ago, Alien Octopus said:

Harsin is the answer.

If you guys are ready to sell your soul for Urban, I say we bring in A Briles, who knows how to dirty himself with the best of them, and certainly knows how to win. 

Fuck Art Briles. He will NEVER coach at Texas. And fuck you for wanting him or even remotely thinking he should be a candidate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

No to Campbell.  To me, he’s Herman 2.0.  Plays up to the level of competition and also loses to teams he has no business losing too.  He’s still a better coach than Herman, but we need a proven HC that knows how to recruit and coach.

This is pretty simple.  Either we hire Urban or USC does.  He will only coach at a blue blood if he comes back.  It boils down to which program can stop stepping on their dicks first and make this easy decision.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He's also sitting there with an inoperable brain cyst, a family that may not want him to get back into coaching, and a good job at Fox Sports that he seems to enjoy (and which he's really good at). If he wanted to get back into coaching then he'd probably be coaching at USC right now. 

Last Dec-Jan was the only window USC has had to fire Helton and hire Urban but they can’t get out of their own way.

after coaching UF then fOSU, there’s only a few programs who could reasonably expect to hire Urban.  Bama, Dome, USC, UT, OU, Michigan, LSU, clemson probably... everyone else would be a significant step down and probably only happen in ~5 more years with him talking a victory lap ala spurrier, Miles, Mack.

• Hook 'Em 1

If we flush this finger pointing, fan blaming turd and hire Urban are the Brockermeyers back in play? Do we also need the cards to fall and have the Texans hire Nick Saban as GM and Coach? Urban would bring all the recruits. We wouldn’t need the gimmicks like freaky family fun fantastical feasting f’ing Fridays 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

I was impressed with the success Matt Rhule generated at Baylor. He's not a candidate since he got an NFL job but there has to be another guy that can develop the top tier talent that's available at UT.

He came from G5, apparently we can’t hire them anymore. Or we can’t hire coordinators even though they may be better candidates according to our fans. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Do we even care anymore? I used to. A lot. Now....I just don’t have it in me.

I'm about there.  I typically check out once we flush the season down the toilet.  Seems like Saturday will do it for this season.  I may just start checking out before the season.  It will be much better for my mental and physical health.

59 minutes ago, victory88 said:

No to Campbell.  To me, he’s Herman 2.0.  Plays up to the level of competition and also loses to teams he has no business losing too.  He’s still a better coach than Herman, but we need a proven HC that knows how to recruit and coach.

This is pretty simple.  Either we hire Urban or USC does.  He will only coach at a blue blood if he comes back.  It boils down to which program can stop stepping on their dicks first and make this easy decision.  

I am way more confident he will end up at USC before Texas.. we fuck up every hire. 

3 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:

I am way more confident he will end up at USC before Texas.. we fuck up every hire. 

Yup! 

Here is what is going to happen.  Herman will end the year 6-4 or something along those lines.  We will play in a meaningless alamo bowl.  We will lose within the first 2 games next year and the season will be over before conference play even begins.  We will then fire Herman a year too late.  If this recruiting class is any indication, unless you grew up a Texas fan, we're not getting any of the top tier talent.  The stink is visible to everyone.  Recruiting is going to go in the shitter again (it's already trending that way).  It will take us years to rebuild the depth chart.  This years recruiting class is meh outside of 3-4 guys.  We will see next year even worse if he's on the hot seat.  You cannot stack 2 sub par recruiting classes in a row.  It will deplete your depth.  Urban will probably be at USC.  We will hire another Charlie Strong/Tom Herman.  They will make excuses of youth, lack of depth, etc.  Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.  I have lost all confidence in this administration.  It took a fucking embarrassing Kansas loss and a lot of pressure from the alums to force their hand on one of the worst head coaches in college football history in Charlie Strong.  Unless we stop our donations, they will stick to status quo.  Fuck CDC, fuck Belmont, fuck Tom Herman.  

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Tony Two K said:

If you want the best college football coach, the only names in the running are Saban, Urban, and Dabo. Two of them are obviously coaching at the program they built and are not likely to leave. Urban is tan, rested and ready to go. Three national championships, national coach of the year, and coach of the year in every conference in which he has coached. No hire would strike more fear in Oklahoma, the SEC, and college football generally than Urban to Texas. Do we want the best coach, or are other criteria more important?

This is the answer. End of story.

6 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If he wanted to get back into coaching last year then he’d probably be at USC. 

2 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Last Dec-Jan was the only window USC has had to fire Helton and hire Urban but they can’t get out of their own way.

after coaching UF then fOSU, there’s only a few programs who could reasonably expect to hire Urban.  Bama, Dome, USC, UT, OU, Michigan, LSU, clemson probably... everyone else would be a significant step down and probably only happen in ~5 more years with him talking a victory lap ala spurrier, Miles, Mack.

The LA Times is the paper of record where I live, and it sure seems like USC wins the shitshow award over Texas in a blowout. 

I’m on the Urban train and I don’t care if it’s for 2 years, 5 years or whatever.   We need someone to turn this thing around quickly, wins, recruiting, development, fan engagement.   2020 is shining a light on things and realignment will probably be significant this go around, B12 looks like a trailer park on fire and our leverage is slipping rapidly.  

he took over a 5-6 Utah team and went 12-0 with McBeides recruits in year 2.

Spurrier left UF in a better place than Mack left UT, but Zook took aver and was a 5 loss kind of guy.  Charlie strong took over interim after Zook was fired and Urban came in and won his first MNC with Zooks guys in year 2. 

Took over 6-7 fOSU from Luke Fickell and his first year went 12-0.  Won MNC in year 3. 

Fuck 5 loss Mensa, it’s who and what he is, completely average.  Urban likely won’t catch Sabans win total but he can solidify his legacy with MNCs at 3 different stops.  

If CDC has the stones to pull off Urban and it works, he will be the toast of this town. They will erect a statue in his honor massage his ego for eternity. His legacy will be fulfilled. On the other hand,  if he sits back does nothing he will be on to the next job and will be forgotten but only remembered as the guy that didn’t hire Urban, who of course will then proceed to break his foot off in the ass of every team that could and should have hired him.

If you’re into history repeating itself...two of our best coaches in school history have ties to ousux in DKR  and Mack. So by theory Venables would lead us to the promise land. 

just making conversation via correlation  please don’t rip my head off. 

also that is if urban doesn’t happen. 

URBAN #1

Edited by Bevo VIII

1. I am not sure why everyone is shitting on Del right now he has had some pretty good hires so far

I think if basketball had played out fully then he would have had another hire to make an evaluation of his hiring on

I think the same could be said for baseball, but again the season folded

it MIGHT have been slightly tougher if Shaka has pulled a Shaka and done something at the end of the season and got in the tournament and did something, but the odds were against that

it is unfortunate that two of the MAJOR sports have issues right now with coaches that Del did not hire and there was light at the end of the tunnel (that was a FIR(ing) of one of them probably) and then the seasons were canceled, but that is out of the control of Del and thus time to move on from that and wait until those teams start back up

2. there are several issues with a football coach and the team and it is going to be difficult to change them unfortunately

A. soft ass players and that has been an issue well back into Mack and that comes with "Austin" and "UT BMOC"

B. entitled players.....again a lot of that comes from "Austin" and "UT BMOC", but a lot of it also comes from "BMOC" as a Texas high school player, shitty soft ass Texas high school coaches, the shitty brand of soft ass football that is pervasive in Texas high schools now and from a lot of these players already knowing each other or knowing of each other before they set foot on campus

C. coaches that do not inspire fear in their players and that do not demand and gain respect of their players.....their players love them right up to and until shit goes left then they are either ready to bail or they expect more coddling and to get the snaps, playing time, and "the ball" while they act like a bitch in practice

D. no players ready to step up and take a position from some of those cry baby practice pouters even if they are not quite as good, but they can still hold their own and will improve......the coaches are not coaching them up and the back ups are just as fucking soft if not softer they are already crying for playing time and yet not doing what it takes to step up and get it when the starter ahead of them goes into full bitch boy mode

3. There is only one real way to solve that and it is to get a coach that can recruit NATIONALLY and that can pull players in from all over with the NEEDED skill sets to match their program

everyone in the Big 12 with the exception of ISU and to a degree KSU runs the same shit on offense and they gear up on defense to try and stop that shit.....there is a reason that ISU is doing better than average and well above their place in history going away from that and same with KSU in the past and it looks like into the future......but right now neither of those programs have the coach with the national credibility to get the top recruiting classes that it will take to get past 9 win season.....I think there is a CHANCE that could happen at KSU because that coach knows how to win and has some connections nationally, but I think Campbell is about the top of what he can do at ISU because I think it will be just too tough for him to pull the players there long term to make it happen

as for hiring him unfortunately Texas is in a position right now where they need someone that can walk in and do it immediately not someone that can get 8 or 9 wins then catch fire and get 10 then start trying to sell themselves <----- terribly shitty place for Texas to be

Gundy same story different guy.....Gundy is sadly a shitty recruiter he just is he never seems to capitalize on his really good seasons, he never gets credit for coaching well, he does have a "Gundy Game" every season that is probably part of the issue......but he just does not recruit at the level Texas needs and I do not thin he has what it takes to coach the "soft" and "entitlement" out of the current crop of better talent that Texas has (or has on paper until you measure will, desire, heart, attitude, effort)

toss in any G5 coach out there Harsin, Fickell, anyone else and it is the same shit.....unless you are ready for a guy to burn it down and send a lot of players and their UT woobies and pacifiers to the transfer portal  or to the asthma field and then build from there well the list gets really short......and you STILL need a guy that you can 100% count on to bring in NATIONAL TALENT and some transfer players that are ready to bust their ass and play

4. Texas is in a shitty place right now.....soft entitled talent on the team, a state full of a lot of soft and entitled talent.......high school coaches that have to kiss the asses of coaches from out of state (with the exception of OkState and do a growing degree OU that Texas coaches view as an extension of Texas because of how heavily they recruit here) and yet those same dickhead Texas high school coaches are openly hostile to Texas universities recruiting out of state because they feel they have the right to dump their players into Texas universities even the top programs

There was a reason that Stoopsie started to recruit more nationally his last few years and I think one of the reasons he retired was because he realized how difficult it was going to be to recruit to OU nationally for the long term especially while transitioning to a place where he could tell Texas high school coaches to fuck off regularly and they had to except that from him and still deal with him openly and honestly and send top talent there while accepting that he was not going to also take some of their bitch boys

5. I hate to say it, but I am not even sure where the list begins and ends for Texas....Meyer is a prick and a short term answer and there is every chance that the coach in waiting he would leave Texas with would suck as bad or worse than anyone........I cannot see Texas fans accepting Stoops and I am not sure he has it in him to recruit nationally although I think it would be much easier to do at Texas than at OU because or "Austin"......but then can he avoid the softness that comes with that......does he still have the "swagger" with players and HS coaches to start telling people to fuck off and take a seat or go ahead and transfer because someone else is waiting for their spot that is as good or will be better with some playing time

too many flame outs from UGA coaches and lets be honest if you cannot get it done at UGA with all that place has to offer and with the way the media likes to suck their dicks more than Texas even though they have not won it all in decades and decades well shit you are taking a BIG chance.....I suppose if Kiffin lights it up and gets 8 wins and a bowl game you could take a chance on that shit at least it would be fun to see and you hope that more of the Kiffin Lane Train hype comes with you and sticks (I think the fucker really can coach, but damn he has baggage)

anyone else barring going full "jimbo" is the shit show that Texas will be after Herman really going to attract someone that has something going for them now......maybe if Fleck has a BIG year at Minnesota this year you take a chance, but can he recruit nationally or will he fall into the "lock up Texas" (and all that soft ass spread offense no defense talent)....still  a huge reach and at a huge cost

I think right now the only real options that have the "chops" are Meyer and Stoops and Stoops is a bit of a reach and Meyer at what cost in terms of money and how long he will be here and what he will leave you with

other than that I don't think most other guys are coming here with what is going on now or I think the ones that would will not have what it takes to break the recruiting shit show that is Texas high school football and more so Texas high school coaches and they will not have the national pull to bring in the talent to break that shit show

11 hours ago, victory88 said:

Ron Zook left a lot of talent at UF.  Meyer took over and won a Championship.

Herman has brought significant talent to Texas.....   come on CDC.  This is an easy fucking decision!!!

Something needs to happen.  The 2021 class is falling apart and is looking abysmal.  Bowman just decommitted.

If we want to compete in athletics, we must hire coaches capable of winning championships. If CDC doesn’t understand the serious circumstances we are in, or is too feckless to act, he should be fired. If we aren’t serious about competing, I will grudgingly live with it, and follow other pursuits.

32 minutes ago, Tony Two K said:

If we want to compete in athletics, we must hire coaches capable of winning championships. If CDC doesn’t understand the serious circumstances we are in, or is too feckless to act, he should be fired. If we aren’t serious about competing, I will grudgingly live with it, and follow other pursuits.

Google-Quantum.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 8:53 AM, Treefidy said:

Michigan?  That ain't happening.  Urban has a restaurant with a private dining room called the 7-0 room, in honor of his record vs michigan.  No way Michigan hires him.  Plus they're administration is a lot like ours and loves the smell of their own farts and feel they're above hiring him.

Bama is unlikely solely because he'll be following in the footsteps of Saban who'll get all the credit.  Same with Clemson.

He wants a traditional power that can win now but is starved for success.  That's in order 1. ND (he's named after a pope, that's his first choice by default), 2. Texas, 3. USC, 4 OU.  Maybe OU is above USC solely because he'd get to depants herman for a year or two 

• Hook 'Em 1