Aggy 2024: Still waiting on the Looch 44

golfclap

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Speaking of Tom Herman. Did he really outperform Jimbo? 

Top 25 finishes: Herman 3 in 4 seasons, Jimbo 2 in 6 seasons. 

Top 10 finishes: Herman 1 in 4 seasons, Jimbo 1 in 6 seasons. 

NY6 wins: Herman 1, Jimbo 1 (Covid year)

Their greatest hire of all time really did worse than a mediocre hire of ours. Incredible. The only thing that even makes this close is the bullshit Covid season. 

for some good laughs do a similar exercise against our decade of demise vs their best decade since 1939 (same years) 

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Worse than Elko. This pleases me. 

aggys are surprisingly very rational on the SECrant board in reference to Traylor. They've looked at his resume and come to the same conclusion that I have. It's thin. 

We’re not hiring Traylor. And that same poster said we were promoting Petrino just a few days ago. And the Jimbo hire was known to be brewing by A LOT of people mid-November 2017. Woodward and he had already been in talks for a month and the big donors had already been notified.

I hope your sources are right this time and it's not a repeat of Doug Meechum for OC, Bud Foster for DC, or Sumlin being fired in '15 and '16. Iconmoon.gif
Basically the most impressive thing Traylor has done was almost beat BYU in the COVID year.

As far as Traylor goes, IDGAF if he bad mouthed us on the recruiting trail while at Texas. He’s had the same (very good) QB his entire tenure at UTSA, and he doesn’t have a single marquee win where they punched above their weight the way even a Herman or Sumlin did at UH. When he was a P5 assistant every staff he was on got their fricking skulls kicked in on the field and on the recruiting trail. I don’t think it will be him but woof it is.

I don’t know much about Traylor but from the way it sounds I think I’d rather promote ERob, I’d have no issue taking my licks with him early on and letting him grow. Seems like that’s what we’d be doing with Traylor anyways

Edited by Rickylovesweed

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

My favorite part is when the locker room splintered and some very good players like Overshown had their performances tank because they were all running around trying to become a bunch of activists while Herman was threatening to throw his wife out of a moving plane. Those were the days. 

WTH? Is this a bit or what?  If legit, please post some background and details  as I've never heard this before.

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

WTH? Is this a bit or what?  If legit, please post some background and details  as I've never heard this before.

That is not a topic we want to revisit at all and we should all neg Vertigo for even trying to open that stupid fucking cloak room can of worms. 

Edit: Talking about the activism part. The plane thing was about Tom and Michelle getting hammered on a private jet and fighting with each other and her trying to open an emergency exit mid-flight. Allegedly. 

Edited by irishtexan
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Vermin said:

image.gif.bcbe11d58bbea71bc59f410979ca2651.gif

Shame on every one of us. I watched him do this stupid shit at Houston and thought it was a massive red flag. I should have protested his hiring from day 1 because of just this. No competent person on the planet would be so fake as to do that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

That is not a topic we want to revisit at all and we should all neg Vertigo for even trying to open that stupid fucking cloak room can of worms. 

Edit: Talking about the activism part. The plane thing was about Tom and Michelle getting hammered on a private jet and fighting with each other and her trying to open an emergency exit mid-flight. Allegedly. 

The activism part is factually correct. I never offered an opinion on it one way or the other. Neg away if it made your pee pee hurt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Lot of topics/talk on texags that they think its going to be Traylor.

i am obviously a large Jeff Traylor fan, but fuck.

paying $76 million to get to Jeff Traylor seems like a career ending decision for Ross Bjork. where is the upside here? "everyone else told us no, including the guy that makes a tremendous amount of sense, was in the building a few years ago and is a super hot name - so we had to go hire Jeff fucking Traylor"?

his career path to Texas/A&M/etc was always UTSA --> bridge job --> really good job.

if Elko says no then here is a live look at Ross Bjork:

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

i am obviously a large Jeff Traylor fan, but fuck.

paying $76 million to get to Jeff Traylor seems like a career ending decision for Ross Bjork. where is the upside here? "everyone else told us no, including the guy that makes a tremendous amount of sense, was in the building a few years ago and is a super hot name - so we had to go hire Jeff fucking Traylor"?

his career path to Texas/A&M/etc was always UTSA --> bridge job --> really good job.

if Elko says no then here is a live look at Ross Bjork:

giphy.gif

Haha, after all that Traylor fluffing you’ve been doing the last week…I’m pretty sure this was the exact point many of us have been trying to make. 

• Haha 3

It’s absolutely mind bottling. Pay $76mm to get rid of a guy so you can hire Jeff Traylor?  He’s making $2.5mm at UTSA. No doubt they can get him for 5. So next year they’re going to pay Jimbo 7.5 not to coach and Traylor 5 to coach. 
aggy math at work, gentlemen. 

• Haha 1

Traylor will be a “thorn” in our sides, recruiting alone, for the next 2-3 years at a minimum if he’s the guy. He’ll definitely bring a Texas recruiting boost more than a newer (less experienced) Coach not named Dabo, Urban, or Dan Campbell, which I think those have already turned them down.

Hook’em!!!

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, nnm said:

It’s absolutely mind bottling. Pay $76mm to get rid of a guy so you can hire Jeff Traylor?  He’s making $2.5mm at UTSA. No doubt they can get him for 5. So next year they’re going to pay Jimbo 7.5 not to coach and Traylor 5 to coach. 
aggy math at work, gentlemen. 

Sark makes 5.6 or so right? They’ll pay 5.7 minimum. Those dipshits aren’t going to allow themselves to have a lower salaried coach than us, no matter who it is. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Traylor will be a “thorn” in our sides, recruiting alone, for the next 2-3 years at a minimum if he’s the guy. 
Hook’em!!!

He's not a bigger thorn in our side than the likes of Lanning, Schumann, etc. 

"Texas connections" mean very little now which is why hiring a coach because he's well-liked by the THSCA is so dumb. It's all about knowing how to leverage NIL/buy recruits. Jimbo is not even liked by the THSCA and he landed the #1 recruiting class of all time. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Sark makes 5.6 or so right? They’ll pay 5.7 minimum. Those dipshits aren’t going to allow themselves to have a lower salaried coach than us, no matter who it is. 

Sark will be getting a decent raise in a few weeks, it’s been said. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

He's a former assistant coach at Texas under Charlie Strong, coaching special teams, tight ends and wide receivers. He also had assistant jobs at SMU and Arkansas under head coach Chad Morris.

Sark’s Pete Carroll/Nick Saban coaching tree is no match for Charlie Strong/Chad Morris.
Checkmate, sips.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Traylor will be a “thorn” in our sides, recruiting alone, for the next 2-3 years at a minimum if he’s the guy. He’ll definitely bring a Texas recruiting boost more than a newer (less experienced) Coach not named Dabo, Urban, or Dan Campbell, which I think those have already turned them down.

Hook’em!!!

I like you dude, so I’ll go easy. Yes he’s a big deal in East Texas. So we’re deeply screwed in Jasper, Newton, and especially Gilmer. But 95% of the Texas 100 reside in the suburbs. That’s not to say we won’t take some L’s, but it’s going to be in very small towns. Given how the state is booming, I can live with that. 

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I like you dude, so I’ll go easy. Yes he’s a big deal in East Texas. So we’re deeply screwed in Jasper, Newton, and especially Gilmer. But 95% of the Texas 100 reside in the suburbs. That’s not to say we won’t take some L’s, but it’s going to be in very small towns. Given how the state is booming, I can live with that. 

We're gonna take some Ls with any coach because aggy is willing to buy players. 

But anybody that's more scared of a dude well-liked by the THSCA vs Lanning/Malchow simply isn't paying attention. This is another one of the hilarious narratives about Traylor. Being well-liked in Texas high school circles means jack shit. 

12 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Sark’s Pete Carroll/Nick Saban coaching tree is no match for Charlie Strong/Chad Morris.
Checkmate, sips.

So Traylor had the unique privelage of serving under the worst Texas HC of all time and the worst Arkansas HC of all time... Hope he applies all of their teachings at his next stop!

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We're gonna take some Ls with any coach because aggy is willing to buy players. 

But anybody that's more scared of a dude well-liked by the THSCA vs Lanning/Malchow simply isn't paying attention. This is another one of the hilarious narratives about Traylor. Being well-liked in Texas high school circles means jack shit. 

Agreed. It's not 1983 where rural recruits are totally uninformed and naive about the big time world of college football recruiting, allowing their high school coach to have major influence over their decision.

They get internet out in the boonies. Recruits gets educated about the process through the camp circuit and social media.

I definitely understand the overall impact of aggy hiring a guy like Traylor. I think that it’ll bring a very “short lived” home state hire. He’d get state wide recruits, just as any “big named” hire would bring in, costing aggy less than a big name/home run out of state hire. Then he’d have to prove it by season 2 and 3, or then he’s on the hot seat, just as anyone else.

Personally, I wish he’d take the Miss State or (maybe) Arky job to “prove” himself over the next 2-3 years. Of course by then he’ll be hitting 60 in age, so if needed, would he then be too old, even if he’s successful?

Hook’em!!!

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The rumor on the SEC rant board is that Marcus Freeman might want the job. 

Huh. Aside from being the head coach at notre dame, I note that he’s had around 6 coaching jobs and they are all within the Great Lakes area. And he played at osu as well. 

but I guess he may be interested in one of those 10 year 95 million guaranteed contracts. 

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Huh. Aside from being the head coach at notre dame, I note that he’s had around 6 coaching jobs and they are all within the Great Lakes area. And he played at osu as well. 

but I guess he may be interested in one of those 10 year 95 million guaranteed contracts. 

That and 3 or 4 loss seasons aren't going to get the job done at Notre Dame. 

In the last 5 years at ND.....Brian Kelly went 11-1, 10-2, 11-2, 12-1, and 10-3. Next year is likely a prove it year for Freeman. Can Freeman make ND a top 10 program like Kelly had it? 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

10 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I’m sure a man who has literally never played/coached outside the rust belt is dying to get to College Station.

I actually believe the Freeman rumors. 

If Freeman goes 8-4 or 9-3 at ND next year his seat is going to be hot. If aggy is offering him decent money for extra years it makes sense. Notre Dame is losing Hartman and almost their entire D next year. 

I can actually see this if Freeman knows he's in a pickle at ND. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I actually believe the Freeman rumors. 

If Freeman goes 8-4 or 9-3 at ND next year his seat is going to be hot. If aggy is offering him decent money for extra years it makes sense. Notre Dame is losing Hartman and almost their entire D next year. 

I can actually see this if Freeman knows he's in a pickle at ND. 

Ok. Then why would aggy want a coach that can’t get it done at NOTRE DAME