COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

47 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Just found out that my immunocompromised mom who can't get vaccinated (Dr's orders) was exposed on Monday by a coworker that decided to come in sick to work.  Worked the full day, felt worse yesterday and got tests.  Yes, coworker is a relatively healthy young person who didn't get vaccinated.  Fuck

This is what I don't understand. It's been banged in everyone's head for almost 2 years. If you are sick, stay home. Get tested.

But I had an employee ask me on Monday morning (via text, thankfully) "I couldn't taste my breakfast this morning, what should I do?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 4

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Just got my Moderna booster in cedar park.  No questions asked, second initial dose was first week of March but being married to an educator + unvaccinated young kiddos = wanted to get it done now. 

Link for anyone interested…never got a confirmation email or anything, but I was in the system:  https://portal.gorev.com/preregister.aspx?s=JoVdzXWbZQ2gQxn7b2zAUg%3d%3d&f=9LZqFYfNjGnUWxG4cOtfXw%3d%3d&l=NNwEBfPJTAkRyf2X4Dd38Q%3d%3d

I’m in the exact same boat.  Wife is a teacher and 3 kids under 12.  My second Moderna shot was early February.  Antibody levels were 994 as of yesterday.  Trying to decide if I should wait until October or just do it now.

I have no clue.  No one seems to have any clear guidance on precise timelines to maximize antibody viability, and with multiple health agencies trying to fight this war with one hand tied around their balls…I decided I’d take the opportunity to get it done now.  Every man for themselves.  

My thought process was that Delta is insane right now + if this ends up being a recommended yearly booster process, I’d want to have my cadence set to around the start of school each year.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Want to "Back the Blue?"  Super concerned about the "war on cops," as it results in hurt and killed cops?  Well then....I'm on your team, too.  You're going to love Brisket's Plan to Save Our Cops.  It has one step:

red_and_green_bordered_cheerful_foliage_

AUSTIN, Texas — An Austin police officer has died of COVID-19 -- the first death in the department since the start of the pandemic 17 months ago. 

Interim Police Chief Joe Chacon notified officers that Senior Patrol Officer Randolph Boyd, who joined the force in 2014, died early Wednesday.

Boyd was one of at least two officers currently in the hospital due to the virus and among 41 currently on leave because they are currently ill or recovering. 

"Randy was a great officer who gave everything he had for a life of service," Chacon said. "Despite the surging pandemic, officers have continued to put their lives on the line showing up to serve the Austin community while placing themselves in harm's way."

Chacon went on to ask officers to "honor his memory by taking all precautions to keep yourself and your family safe."

Nationally, more officers have died of COVID-19 in 2020 and 2021 than any other cause, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page.

I stand for taking firm action, and I won't take "no" for an answer, to stop the #1 cop killer in the USA.  What say you, Back the Blue fellas, you with me or agin' me?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

I’m in the exact same boat.  Wife is a teacher and 3 kids under 12.  My second Moderna shot was early February.  Antibody levels were 994 as of yesterday.  Trying to decide if I should wait until October or just do it now.

Not an expert, but 994 really, really high still. It's equivalent to most folks levels like 2-3 months after a shot. I wouldn't sweat getting it now. 

FWIW, I'm getting tested friday morning, and if I'm 994 I'll probably wait till October or Mid Octber. My second shot was April 2nd, and my wife works at a school and we have an almost 4 year old at home. So pretty, pretty similar boats. Granted your second shot was a full 2 months before mine, but damn those levels are amazing. Fuck yeah moderna. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I just got a text from the mom of one of my daughter's friends that her husband and son (my daughter's friend) tested positive.  My daughter's friend had dinner and went to the movies with us Saturday night.  My kids and I will be going to get tested tomorrow. Their whole family was vaccinated and my kids and I have been vaccinated.  I already had this shit once.  I am really tired of this shit and I'm going to go all Falling Down on some an anit-vaxer covid denier one day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I just got a text from the mom of one of my daughter's friends that her husband and son (my daughter's friend) tested positive.  My daughter's friend had dinner and went to the movies with us Saturday night.  My kids and I will be going to get tested tomorrow. Their whole family was vaccinated and my kids and I have been vaccinated.  I already had this shit once.  I am really tired of this shit and I'm going to go all Falling Down on some an anit-vaxer covid denier one day.

Hope you guys test negative.  Obviously there's overwhelming evidence between your vaccine and your already having it, you should well beyond "in the clear"...but like me---you're an asshole but a very loving and protective father to your little girl, so God be with you both.  And when you do go Falling Down on somebody, call me---I'll bail you out.  

Pins and Needles for the next 6 weeks everybody.  Get your buttholes ready.

these are the best treatment results that I can think of in a randomized, blinded trial. Small sample size by 70% reduction in hospitalizations and deaths. All patients over 60. Will be expensive therapy though I’m sure. 

The other decent one in randomized, blinded trial was OCD Med Luvox. 10 day course resulted in 30% less hospitalizations. Small sample again though. 

https://brighterworld.mcmaster.ca/articles/antidepressant-fluvoxamine-can-save-covid-19-patients-mcmaster-led-research-shows/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Muy Frio said:

The other decent one in randomized, blinded trial was OCD Med Luvox. 10 day course resulted in 30% less hospitalizations. Small sample again though. 

https://brighterworld.mcmaster.ca/articles/antidepressant-fluvoxamine-can-save-covid-19-patients-mcmaster-led-research-shows/

This one is interesting.  There are more trials ongoing in US at the moment. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Muy Frio said:

these are the best treatment results that I can think of in a randomized, blinded trial. Small sample size by 70% reduction in hospitalizations and deaths. All patients over 60. Will be expensive therapy though I’m sure. 

The Brii Biosciences monoclonal doesn't do it for me. It binds to a highly conserved epitope on the spike protein and is synergistic with another monoclonal that binds to a different highly conserved epitope on the spike protein. So I can see it working well in non-vaccinated people, but assuming the highly conserved regions of the spike protein that this targets are also in the portion of the spike protein that the mRNA vaccine codes for, it is hard to see why it would work a whole lot better than the vaccine. Maybe it is a better target than the Regeneron monoclonal that has proven to be moderately effective if given early in treatment but how much better seems questionable.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

This one is interesting.  There are more trials ongoing in US at the moment. 

The cost benefit analysis would definitely favor this one. I think i saw it quoted as $4 for 10 day course with pretty well established side effect profile. 

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The Brii Biosciences monoclonal doesn't do it for me. It binds to a highly conserved epitope on the spike protein and is synergistic with another monoclonal that binds to a different highly conserved epitope on the spike protein. So I can see it working well in non-vaccinated people, but assuming the highly conserved regions of the spike protein that this targets are also in the portion of the spike protein that the mRNA vaccine codes for, it is hard to see why it would work a whole lot better than the vaccine. Maybe it is a better target than the Regeneron monoclonal that has proven to be moderately effective if given early in treatment but how much better seems questionable.

1 hour ago, Muy Frio said:

Wait I thought therapeutics were being suppressed?  I read as much just a few pages ago. I has a confused. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm probably going to take some time off from the thread.  The stress of my mom and my son both being exposed within a day of each other has put me in a bad place.  I'm angry, frustrated, and just generally depressed about where we're at.  Stay safe all, I'll check in later. Yes, I know this looks like a I'm quitting facebook post, but it seems different.

Also, Hook 'em, here's to nothing but at least 10 win seasons going forward.

Things are gonna be okay.  Definitely take some time off, and try not to read all the negative stuff.  In reality, the vast majority of people that test positive turn out okay. That's true statistically, and also matches my anecdotal experience--last year my 80+ year old inlaws caught the 'rona, and besides feeling tired and a loss of appetite for a couple weeks, they were fine.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Muy Frio said:

Yeah that or you could just get the vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Muy Frio said:

Are you familiar with something called breakthrough infections? 

No. Never heard of that. What’s that? Please enlighten us with more wisdom.

Are you familiar with the concept of astroturfing where a troll gets paid to go around and spread propaganda on the internet for various purposes?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Do your mom and son live in a sterile bubble? If not, then they’re exposed multiple times every day. Quit worrying about shit you can’t control

No, but I'm worried about my mom who is likely to end up in the hospital because she can't get vaccinated.  So go fuck yourself with Carl's big black dick.  My son will be fine

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

No, but I'm worried about my mom who is likely to end up in the hospital because she can't get vaccinated.  So go fuck yourself with Carl's big black dick.  My son will be fine

Hang in there man.  You’re not the only one. Shit is starting to make me angry, depressed, and overall just fucking tired.  My oldest finally starting to show it’s taking a toll on her, while we were talking tonight before bed. Take care of your family.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Yeah, those were my thoughts as well. But mine were in Latin, because I’m fancy that way.
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

spacer.png

Sorry, what I am saying is that there is nothing really novel about the Briii Biosciences' monoclonal antibodies in clinical trials. They have two monoclonal antibodies that bind to different parts of the Spike protein so they can be used together to make a better therapeutic. In general, however, there probably isn't much difference between this product than the already approved Regeneron product. The Regeneron product can only be used if the infection is caught early and I expect the same will be true with the Brii Bioscience products. Moreover, all these products target the same spike protein on the coronavirus that the vaccine targets so it probably will be much more beneficial to unvaccinated individuals than vaccinated individuals. Vaccinated individuals already have high titers of similar antibodies or can at least ramp up quickly to create high titers of similar antibodies.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Hang in there man.  You’re not the only one. Shit is starting to make me angry, depressed, and overall just fucking tired.  My oldest finally starting to show it’s taking a toll on her, while we were talking tonight before bed. Take care of your family.  

Starting to?

at this point it all just makes me angry and it shows  in my posts. On the plus side, my mother (married to my stepfather who was an obgyn surgeon) is now willing to go get the booster or 3rd shot. She talked to her doctor yesterday. 2 days ago she was telling me that her husband was telling her not to get the 3rd shot and to go on a prophylactic course of (pharmaceutical) ivermectin. Now, I’m not in with the surly group thought that seems to equate Tractor Supply horse paste with prescribed Ivermectin, but it was a relief to say the least. Her doc also said if she shows ANY symptoms that might be even allergies to come in and get tested. He’s got the monoclonal antibody thing and is giving it out immediately to anyone that tests +

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit the Moderna booster knocked me sideways…took it at 930a, started feeling off in the afternoon, and woke up about 1am shivering like crazy.  Feel like a truck ran me over   

My normal HR when sleeping is 46-52, but even when I was able to sleep last night it barely dipped into the 80’s.  My Fitbit jumped the RHR up 4, which never happens and my heart rate is still really elevated.  

Guess that means a strong immune response,  but my reaction was 2-3x stronger than the second dose.  Ugh.  Don’t plan anything the next day.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

If she’s positive get her monoclonal antibodies stat

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, Bevo said:

This is what I’ve been trying to explain to people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

No. Never heard of that. What’s that? Please enlighten us with more wisdom.

Are you familiar with the concept of astroturfing where a troll gets paid to go around and spread propaganda on the internet for various purposes?

My point was you still research treatments because even if the whole country is vaccinated then some people will still get sick. That’s not “propaganda”. 

Edited by Muy Frio
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Holy shit the Moderna booster knocked me sideways…took it at 930a, started feeling off in the afternoon, and woke up about 1am shivering like crazy.  Feel like a truck ran me over   

My normal HR when sleeping is 46-52, but even when I was able to sleep last night it barely dipped into the 80’s.  My Fitbit jumped the RHR up 4, which never happens and my heart rate is still really elevated.  

Guess that means a strong immune response,  but my reaction was 2-3x stronger than the second dose.  Ugh.  Don’t plan anything the next day.  

This describes my reaction to the 2nd shot of Moderna in April. Didn’t check heart rate and had fever and flu like symptoms the entire next day. Wife was fine other than my shivering waking her up that night. October/November booster should be fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I got my second Moderna shot in late February, so seems like September/October would be good for a booster, no?  Since the second shot fucked me up, I need to schedule this on a Friday before a Saturday when the Horns don't play at home.

Current guidance is 8 months so that's October.  If you have specific concerns and want to do it sooner I'd advise checking with your doctor.

4 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

WSJ had an article saying it was going to 6 months. 

Could be.  Current CDC guidance is below-- 8 months.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

But like I said, any specific concerns, should be brought up with your doctor.  They know your medical situation better than the CDC or the presidential administration.

Edited by utee94

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Was hoping to get the booster before ACL Fest, but that's the first weekend in October, so maybe better to get it after.

There are plenty of people already doing it sooner.  I don't think anyone would stop you from doing it if you wanted to work it in before ACL Fest.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Could be.  Current CDC guidance is below-- 8 months.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

But like I said, any specific concerns, should be brought up with your doctor.  They know your medical situation better than the CDC or the presidential administration.

Yes, CDC currently at 8.  But looks very likely to move to 6 months.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/us-plans-covid-19-booster-shots-six-months-instead-eight-wsj-2021-08-25/

1 minute ago, dcbc said:

Yes I've seen the article.  And if/when it moves to 6, I'll change my plan from getting the booster in January, to getting it in November.  After checking with my doctor, of course.  Because I'm someone that follows the science and listens to the medical professionals, rather than "doing my internet research."

• Hook 'Em 1

Was hoping to get the booster before ACL Fest, but that's the first weekend in October, so maybe better to get it after.

I think I posted the WSJ article in one of the Covid threads yesterday. Biden Admin/CDC is expected to revise booster approvals to 6 months for Pfizer soon.

I would imagine they held off to ensure they would have adequate supply for earliest groups of vaccinated and to encourage more first shots in unvaccinated. But if the risk of immunity drop off rises considerably after 6 (rather than 8) months, I am guessing they don’t want to see any more significant spike in Delta breakthroughs.

TL/DR I think you’ll be able to get a booster sooner than 8 months out from second shot.

Just now, utee94 said:

Yes I've seen the article.  And if/when it moves to 6, I'll change my plan from getting the booster in January, to getting it in November.  After checking with my doctor, of course.  Because I'm someone that follows the science and listens to the medical professionals, rather than "doing my internet research."

Do Surly doctors not qualify as "medical professionals"?  Do Surly posters, especially those with high rep counts, not qualify as "science"? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Marcusshelton said:

This describes my reaction to the 2nd shot of Moderna in April. Didn’t check heart rate and had fever and flu like symptoms the entire next day. Wife was fine other than my shivering waking her up that night. October/November booster should be fun. 

I didn't have any reaction to either Moderna shot.  For a couple of days, the injection point felt like someone had frogged my arm, but that was about it. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Do Surly doctors not qualify as "medical professionals"?  Do Surly posters, especially those with high rep counts, not qualify as "science"? 

Well, there are doctors and then there are doctors.  Like every other profession, a certain percentage of them are morons.  We don't really have any way to know for sure which category our resident docs fall into, although at least a couple of them have certainly outed themselves.  I say this with love, as someone with way too many doctor buddies.  I hang out with them because I can't stand lawyers. ;)

36 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I didn't have any reaction to either Moderna shot.  For a couple of days, the injection point felt like someone had frogged my arm, but that was about it. 

For me the second shot, at almost exactly 24 hours later, was like ripping the stylus off a record player…instantly super tired.  Ended up taking a 2hr nap and dragging ass rest of the day.  

Booster @6 months, probably given Moderna has more staying power due to the larger dose, has me feeling horrible…but I expect it to only last today.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh, and you know the logical fallacy of "here's a case of a person who was in a car wreck who actually died BECAUSE he was wearing a seatbelt, and therefore wearing a seatbelt is dangerous and you shouldn't be forced to do it?"  Here's the latest version of that fallacy being seized on by the anti-vaxxers:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/aug/26/bbc-presenter-lisa-shaw-died-of-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-complications-coroner-finds

An award-winning BBC radio presenter died as a result of complications from the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, a coroner has concluded.

Lisa Shaw, who worked for BBC Radio Newcastle, died at the city’s Royal Victoria Infirmary in May, a little more than three weeks after her first dose of the vaccine developed by academics at the University of Oxford.

The inquest heard that Shaw, 44, had been admitted to hospital after doctors investigating her complaints of headaches found she had suffered a brain haemorrhage.

Karen Dilks, the senior coroner for Newcastle, gave a narrative conclusion. “Lisa died due to complications of an AstraZeneca Covid vaccine,” she said.

For those of you out there who would like to understand the universe of how any medical treatment works: EVERY medical treatment of note has the risk of adverse outcomes.  Including things that have been approved for decades and are seen as mundane.  Ever heard of Tylenol?  Why, I bet if some of you came down with COVID and had a fever, you might even take it to knock that fever down.  That's a bad, bad, bad decision.  Tylenol is death:

About 150 Americans die every year from acetaminophen poisoning. 

In fact, that figure's actually a fairly conservative estimate. Over the summer, Time reported that closer to 500 people die in the U.S. from overdosing on acetaminophen, with another 55,000 to 80,000 ending up in the ER for the same reason. And it's not just Tylenol—the ingredient also appears in Excedrin pain tablets, Sudafed sinus pills, and hundreds of other over-the-counter products.

What makes acetaminophen especially dangerous, though, is the worryingly small gap between the recommended dose and the dose that can harm or even kill consumers. As one FDA report put it, that gap puts "a large fraction of users close to a toxic dose in the ordinary course of use."

Just applying the anti-vax logic consistently here.  If there's something out there that has a very, very low incidence of negative outcomes, but a very high rate of helping/preventing serious negative outcomes, well, that's not enough.  In summary, the evidence is clear -- because some guy in Petaluma died this one time because his seatbelt kept him trapped in his car as it sank into the Petaluma River, seatbelts are dangerous, and should be avoided at all costs.

You’re a sensitive little boy, aren’t ya Tommy?

I guess I’ll put the white gloves on when trying to make a point, I thought I was talking to a grown man and not a little twat but now that we’re all clear I’ll proceed accordingly.

You are getting so worked up over things that you can’t control that you need to take time away from the internet. Think about that and repeat it out loud if you have to. Do you disinfect everything you buy at the grocery store? Do you disinfect your shoes before going inside your home? Do you wear rubber gloves when you leave your home?

What exactly do you do for a living? Do you know what I do? I work every third day for 24 hours at a time answering 911 calls in one of the busiest fire stations in the state of Texas. In my 48 hours off between shifts at the fire station I work at least one and sometimes 2.5 twelve hour shifts a week in the ED of one of the best pediatric hospitals in the world. And finally twice a month for 24 hours I get on an ambulance in my rural county for less $ per hour than the slackjawed jackass at Taco Casa gets paid.

I have a severely immunocompromised mother and two toddlers at home. Do I panic and stress and worry about the insanely high probability that I will be the one to infect them to the point that I have post on a message board that I need to take some time away from the internet because I’m that worked up?

No, I use common sense and do what I can to mitigate their exposure and I worry about the things I can control. I keep the house clean. I leave my shoes, dirty uniforms or scrubs in the garage. We don’t take them out among the mass gatherings of idiots, all that stuff.

Ha holy shit. As I’m typing all of this my wife texts me that my mother in law just tested positive. This is the woman that I haven’t seen without a mask on her face in over a year and that hasn’t gone out in public except to get groceries in even longer. I’m guessing she got it from my elementary age niece and nephew that live with her. She was over at my house yesterday with my niece and nephew. Now it’s a party!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4