COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Is there any data reflecting probability of symptomatic infection by antibody level?  I'm guessing no as seems like that would be difficult to ascertain in any meaningful population and I would also assume highly dependent on viral load at infection.

I assume that is what the tx cares study is getting at, among other things. 

40 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I assume that is what the tx cares study is getting at, among other things. 

When I was looking for what a good baseline number might be, I found lots of recent articles saying there is a correlation.  Of course, none of them referenced the numbers.

Another lab service had this:

https://www.citymd.com/understanding-your-spike-protein-results

Please note: A numerical value will be reported up to 2,500 U/mL. For patients testing higher then 2,500 U/mL, your results will be reported as “Greater Than 2,500 U/mL."

And then this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7963519/

The Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 S assay (Ref. # 09289275190) is a quantitative electrochemiluminescence immuno assay that measures the concentration of an individual's total immunoglobulin against a recombinant spike protein (receptor binding domain) of SARS-CoV-2. The measurement range of the assay is from 0.40 U/mL to 250 U/mL. Values lower than the limit of quantification are reported as < 0.4 U/mL on our medical reports. For values > 250 U/mL, our analyzer automatically makes a 1:10 dilution and measures again, so that values up to 2500 U/mL can be reported.

Sounds like it's a limitation of the equipment.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Another testing service

https://www.testingforall.org/understanding-your-roche-anti-sars-cov-2-s-test-result/

Positive results are greater than 0.8, with the upper bound listed as “> 2,500” or greater than 2,500. Those that receive a result of > 2,500 have a neutralising antibody response of at least 2,500 U/mL indicating a very high antibody level.

fuck yeah yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

wait this is what i got after following the email link. 

From the lab report.

image.png.778d5cc1af15a1b248f97b5ff35a4d47.png

does that mean my antibody #s are >2500? what's the 0.0 number?  wish they'd have an explanation of what these things meant.

It means you have AIDS.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Sorry for being lazy: where can I go in Austin to get tested to see my antibody counts?

Once you do the online survey, you can go to any Clinical Pathology Labs location, no appointment required.  You just give them the number they text you after the survey.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of the survey, less than 30,000 so far, but I'm doing my part with family/friends.

https://sph.uth.edu/projects/texascares/dashboard

24% have had COVID-19.  Makes me wonder how representative of the general population that is, because I imagine a shit-ton of people taking the survey/test are doing so because they may have thought they had it at some point, plus a bunch of the people taking it obviously are vaccinated and are wanting to know their antibody level (say for deciding on a booster), and those types may have been more cautious than other groups.

It's also going to be distorted by economic classes (trending towards middle/upper classes).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's also going to be distorted by economic classes (trending towards middle/upper classes).

This part very much so. 

8% and 11% of covid neg prior dx and no prior dx respectively popping seropositive are meaningful numbers though and no reason to think that they are not generalizable, perhaps even underestimates.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2109072

NEJM article here is the best data I know looking at Ab titers in breakthrough cases in vaccinated people compared to vaccinated controls without breakthroughs. Caveat—this was pre-Delta data.  I’m not completely sure the assay they were using but it looked like if you were over 500 then you were pretty safe

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
7 hours ago, JimmyJames said:
A nurse at seton main told a friend of mine that basically nobody who is moderna fully vaccinated has been admitted there. Said it’s the best one to get. Only two cases over tIme. Take it for what it’s worth.

I'm invincible, motherfucker!

Pics of nurse?  For science…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So a friend of mine who can’t lie went to get a booster at Entrust in Houston. She’d heard they don’t ask questions. Sure enough, they asked for her card and she showed it (two shots), and they didn’t give a single fuck. Gave her her 3rd shot booster no questions despite it only being 5 months for her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

Got my second moderna shot beginning of March. For anyone that has been keeping up with booster stuff, is that something I need to do or think about soon and is that even available yet?

Read my last half dozen or so replies in this thread, cover that very thing 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

For those in the 2,500 and up club, what were you all?

Pfizer here, last vaccine in May.

Pfizer.

My wife got her pfizer booster a week and a half before testing and read 2420. She's on a a lot of immunosuppressants for her RA and had zero side effects from all 3 shots so we were happy to see she had a response. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
13 hours ago, JimmyJames said:
A nurse at seton main told a friend of mine that basically nobody who is moderna fully vaccinated has been admitted there. Said it’s the best one to get. Only two cases over tIme. Take it for what it’s worth.

I'm invincible, motherfucker!

coronavirus-and-i-took-that-personally-m

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

On 8/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

What death toll would it take to reach these people? I think it has to be enough to reach their primary defense: selfishness.  This isn't happening to me, therefore I don't need to act.

I think it would have to be in the few percent range:  3million, 6million, something like that.  It would need to get so that every little community of 1000 people would have enough deaths that everyone would know multiple people fairly close to them that died.  I think you can always claim this is someone else's problem until it gets to that level.  At 600,000 deaths, we are only 10-20% of the way there.

I don't think sicknesses will ever move the needle.  It has to be deaths.  Getting sick and surviving only means these people out freedomed it, and it is a red badge of courage.

Delta saying hold my beer. I know three people who are staunchly (or were) anti-VAX who have died in the past month. 50 and under no comorbidities other than maybe BMI.  Plus a couple of friends of friends. Plus all of the loons that you are seeing on social media fucking around and finding out.  Several of my more vocal “muh freedom“ Facebook friends have also gone silent on the topic and from speaking to them offline they are vaxing, even the ones who have had covid and recovered 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Delta saying hold my beer. I know three people who are staunchly (or were) anti-VAX who have died in the past month. 50 and under no comorbidities other than maybe BMI.  Plus a couple of friends of friends. Plus all of the loons that you are seeing on social media fucking around and finding out.  Several of my more vocal “muh freedom“ Facebook friends have also gone silent on the topic and from speaking to them offline they are vaxing, even the ones who have had covid and recovered 

For the bottom half of this post, are you calling them out as cowards for going silent on social media instead of saying they changed their minds?  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

I just gave them my original one and they added a third entry. 3rd dose reactivity was similar to 2nd, perhaps a little later in onset (2nd night vs 1st). 

Which vaccine for the 3rd shot? Was it the same as the first two?

I'm sitting 3 months out from my 2nd shot of Pfizer and apparently it's the Ford Fiesta of vaccines.

• Haha 3

On 8/27/2021 at 1:00 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Been dealing with covid over the past week week after being previously vaccinated. My antibodies are going to be on fleek for football season.

Feel free to lick hand rails and do coke off of strippers

15 and 12 got their seconds yesterday.   15 has a sore arm and a headache since last night.  12 is home from school today with a fever, headache.   Said she had chills all night.  

Got my UTH results back. Negative for the infection antibodies, 148 spike count. Pfizer in early March. Pretty sure I'm gonna die. Do I win the low score prize?

Was a little surprised to be negative for the Covid antibodies. I've been sick a couple of times during the warm weather, thought one of them was the Rona since I had some lingering symptoms for a few weeks afterwards that tracked with post-Covid stuff. And we have not been careful at all post-vaccination. Been flying, going to concerts bars restaurants etc. In a city that gives zero fucks about Covid. I don't even know where my masks are. But there's all kinds of nasty stuff going around, both of my little ones had RSV and Hand Foot and Mouth, so who knows. 

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Got my UTH results back. Negative for the infection antibodies, 148 spike count. Pfizer in early March. Pretty sure I'm gonna die. Do I win the low score prize?

Was a little surprised to be negative for the Covid antibodies. I've been sick a couple of times during the warm weather, thought one of them was the Rona since I had some lingering symptoms for a few weeks afterwards that tracked with post-Covid stuff. But there's all kinds of shit going around, both of my little ones had RSV and Hand Foot and Mouth, so who knows. 

T's & P's.  you need to switch it up and go moderna for the next 2.

• Hook 'Em 1

Can you do that?  I did Pfizer for first two.  But am considering Moderna for the booster (I'll be due in about 2-3 months at this rate)?  I'm not gonna bother my physician about it (he likes to overcharge), but curious what the science/medical community thinks of switching it up?  

Edited by Lobo