COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the boy is 5 months out from shot 2, but will be out of the country for the next 4 months, so we're sending him to get his "booster" today (Walgreens near our house has walk-ins).  Should he just say "yep, it's my first shot," or should he say he is immunocompromised (he kind of is -- his physician definitely recommended that he get his first shots in that group) and needs a booster, even though he's not at 6 months?  Or will they say "nope, gotta wait till 6 months" (which will do no good, as he'll be gone by then)?

I'd go for the immunocompromised angle.  It's closer to the truth. 

As conVINCEd said, nobody is going to judge you when you lie for the sake of your child's well being.  I know several folks who got their kids vaccinated a month or two before their 12th birthday.  I'm guessing the providers might suspect there is some fibbing, but I think they're fine getting shots in arms.

Edited by South Austin
there/their/they're/thar

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

My issue is I'm not sure I've seen data reflecting what "low" really is and what level increases your risk of an infection that may not put you in the hospital but might knock you on your ass for a several days.  I'm Pfizer and it will be 6 months since 2nd shot later this week with antibody levels @558 as of last week.   I'm contemplating getting a booster over the next few weeks before a big rush once officially authorized.  Particularly given I have a bunch of October travel planned.  Of course, if there was some data indicating you are good above say 300 or so then I might be fine waiting another couple of months.

Unfortunately, there isn't any data that I've seen on this yet. I'll post it here when I see some. 

I will be surprised if the CDC doesn't update guidance to boosters at 6 months by mid-Sept. 

Took the kids in for an antibody tests on Friday.  Oldest's school allows you to forgo quarantine due to exposure if you have positive antibodies.  Did the other two just to know.

Turns out the two that went to camp in July (one had two positive cases in his cabin) tested negative.  Ye, my 8 year old tested positive for IgG antibodies. 

Pretty much the exact opposite of my expectations.  Not even sure what to do with that info.

Edited by Don Johnson

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

What about when you get drunk and have wild sex with one of her hot friends?

Asking just in case.  For a friend.

Since it will either end your marriage or not, might as well invite her to join and see how that goes over. After you’ve had some fun with the friend first, of course. Wouldn’t want the wife to stop the party before it got going. 

18 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I thought this was an Austin thing.  Glad I looked.  Signing up right now.

It was surprisingly efficient. Signed up around lunch time yesterday and walked into a clinic at 4:30 on my way home. I had my results a little after noon today.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the boy is 5 months out from shot 2, but will be out of the country for the next 4 months, so we're sending him to get his "booster" today (Walgreens near our house has walk-ins).  Should he just say "yep, it's my first shot," or should he say he is immunocompromised (he kind of is -- his physician definitely recommended that he get his first shots in that group) and needs a booster, even though he's not at 6 months?  Or will they say "nope, gotta wait till 6 months" (which will do no good, as he'll be gone by then)?

Just say he's immune compromised.  When we got ours, we went through CVS, made an appointment online and answered the questions online.  No questions at the location.  Handed our cards over with two shots already.  Got the third.  My wife is immune compromised.  I'm adjacent and compromised by all these people who could get vaccinated but won't.

Edited by dcbc

46 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Just say he's immune compromised.  When we got ours, we went through CVS, made an appointment online and answered the questions online.  No questions at the location.  Handed our cards over with two shots already.  Got the third.  My wife is immune compromised.  I'm adjacent and compromised by all these people who could get vaccinated but won't.

We'll see.  He's a super-ethical kid, and he won't lie.  He's going to tell them the truth as to his immunocompromised history, but also as to his dose history (only 5 months ago for second dose).  We'll see if they give him the shot.  If not, we tried (as hard as he's willing to without lying), and there we are.

• Hook 'Em 3

59 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We'll see.  He's a super-ethical kid, and he won't lie.  He's going to tell them the truth as to his immunocompromised history, but also as to his dose history (only 5 months ago for second dose).  We'll see if they give him the shot.  If not, we tried (as hard as he's willing to without lying), and there we are.

Update -- he got the shot at Walgreen's, didn't seem to have any issues.  I'm sure he'll explain more when we talk tonight.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Update -- he got the shot at Walgreen's, didn't seem to have any issues.  I'm sure he'll explain more when we talk tonight.

Good to hear.  I was thinking "kind of immune compromised" was close enough for most.  Glad he was able to get it.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Already made him tired as hell - he’s already crashed out. Hope it’s like the last one, and he sleeps in and gets past it overnight.

I was seven months out from shot two.  Other than a sore arm, I didn't get the side effects for nearly 24 hours after shot 3.  Just felt off and a bit achy.  Took a tylenol, went to bed, and woke up feeling 100% (shot two hit me like a truck after 8 hours and I felt like ass for the next 12 hours).  So the booster wasn't quite as bad.  Shot two knocked my then 15 year old down for a couple of days.  12 year old had no side effects. 

14 hours ago, XYZ said:

“Defend against severe disease for years”? They have no basis for claiming that.

I think it’s referring to memory B cells which are essentially immortal (decades at least) and allow you to crank back up an immune response on short notice so, yes, most of us *should* have many years of protection from serious illness  just with the original 2 shot regimen 

Survivors of covid infection also have memory T-cells which are another way to get long term immunity which the mRNA vaccines don’t activate. 

Probably the ideal state in terms of immunity if you are otherwise healthy is to be vaxed and then get covid. Of course I wouldn’t go trying to catch it. If I had had it and recovered I would definitely get vaxed to get that added level of protection 

• Hook 'Em 3

Got my Texas Cares results this morning.   

Moderna, second shot on March 6.   Current spike protein antibodies: 1075

Negative on prior Covid infection. I have to admit, I was kind of hoping to have had one of those glorious asymptomatic cases and the subsequent immune boost.  We can't have everything though.

I think this means I'm good for a while, right?

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Further interesting update -- he told them about all of his doses, but they couldn't update his original card (yeah, mom went out and laminated it...sigh).  SO, they gave him an additional card, but they didn't just fill in his booster - they filled in his prior doses, using the info from his earlier card. So, now he has two cards.  One is laminated, shows his original two doses.  The other is not laminated (and won't be), and shows all three doses.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Further interesting update -- he told them about all of his doses, but they couldn't update his original card (yeah, mom went out and laminated it...sigh).  SO, they gave him an additional card, but they didn't just fill in his booster - they filled in his prior doses, using the info from his earlier card. So, now he has two cards.  One is laminated, shows his original two doses.  The other is not laminated (and won't be), and shows all three doses.

How many times to I have to say this?

Make a 2 sided color photocopy of the card and then laminate the copy.

It's like I'm playing cards with my sister's kids.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I have pictures on mine on my phone.  Figure I can print one out if ever needed.  Don't laminate the original. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I don't disagree.....my wife went and laminated ours on her own accord.

We all have photos of our card on our phones.  My daughter's laminated card presented no problems when she registered it to get a vaccine pass in Quebec.  And I'm figuring now that the boy has two cards, he's plenty good to go in Germany.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Just got my test back.

2nd Pfizer shot 3/3.

1095 COVID 19 spike antibodies, zero SARS Covid 19 total antibodies.

This means I should be good to wait until October/November?

Nice.  You just about doubled me up.  Curious - how many days were in between your shots?  Mine was 3 weeks to the day.

Took the kids in for an antibody tests on Friday.  Oldest's school allows you to forgo quarantine due to exposure if you have positive antibodies.  Did the other two just to know.
Turns out the two that went to camp in July (one had two positive cases in his cabin) tested negative.  Ye, my 8 year old tested positive for IgG antibodies. 
Pretty much the exact opposite of my expectations.  Not even sure what to do with that info.

Did you watch the phleb label the tubes?

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

Nice.  You just about doubled me up.  Curious - how many days were in between your shots?  Mine was 3 weeks to the day.

For real these fucks that are older than me and got the shot weeks before me are doubling up my S-test. I guess maybe I drank too much the night I got the 1st one. Whatever, my will is up to date. 

Signed up for that UT Health antibody survey. Went down to the closest testing site. I was skeptical when the didn't allow appointments but only walk-ins. It was a test center fill of sick people and I assume people getting drug tested for a job. I waited 5 minutes before walking out. I figure the odds of catching COVID there was too high.

I would rather pay to learn the results if it meant I could avoid crowds.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Signed up for that UT Health antibody survey. Went down to the closest testing site. I was skeptical when the didn't allow appointments but only walk-ins. It was a test center fill of sick people and I assume people getting drug tested for a job. I waited 5 minutes before walking out. I figure the odds of catching COVID there was too high.

Where do you live?  Here in Dallas there were at least 2 sites that allowed you to schedule appointments (one at Presby and the other at Baylor).  Even so, when I got there yesterday there were about a half dozen nurses waiting around to be tested who hadn't gotten appointments.  Entire process took about 15 minutes, and I had my N95 mask on the whole time.  No worries.

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Ha! The lab I went to required appointments and the entire process took 5 minutes from the time I walked in.

I sent my mid 60s mom the info about the TX CARES survey.  She got her first draw yesterday, had Pfizer, and 2nd shot was mid-Feb.  She's at 288 for spike antibodies and no prior infection.  I told her to go find a 3rd dose of Moderna in the next week or 2.  Really wish the the powers that be would get off their ass.

• Hook 'Em 1