COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I kind of wonder if we’re starting to tread into horse paste territory with some of this.  I searched the thread for 350, and only found people tossing it out there, no official study or publication with that number.

WTF are you talking about?

6 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, I kind of wonder if we’re starting to tread into horse paste territory with some of this.  I searched the thread for 350, and only found people tossing it out there, no official study or publication with that number.

"I have the worst fucking health care advice" /georgebluth 

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Dammit, I didn't think of that.  I do remember somebody way up thread that I take half-serious posting the 350 number as the low end.  Never occurred to me he was being sarcastic.  

Shit, my wife and I have told half our family to hurry up and get a booster if their number comes back approaching 350.  Thanks assholes!

"Hey honey, my mom's got her results back.  What was the website that said she wants to be between 350-2500?" 

"What website?  Um, I'd rather not say."  

Don't feel bad.  It didn't occur to me either until I was asking about the source for the number last week (after not finding anything concrete).  Then I was like, muthafuckin Surly.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

WTF are you talking about?

I see everyone talking about socially engineering boosters for themselves based on a treefiddy antibody threshold.  I’m trying to understand what information that is based on before simply accepting it as what I should be doing.  Anyone else is free to vet or not vet this information as they like.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I see everyone talking about socially engineering boosters for themselves based on a treefiddy antibody threshold.  I’m trying to understand what information that is based on before simply accepting it as what I should be doing.  Anyone else is free to vet or not vet this information as they like.

It's the Surly Threshold. 

• Hook 'Em 2

actually that study posted last page, the bands it shows for antibodies, to my untrained eye anyway, when you get south of 500---you do appear to in the minority and fading quickly.  There is some credibility to 250-500 (or 350).  Based on it, I'm going for #3 in 6 months instead of 8.  I'm still at 850 but will base my decision primarily on what my other 2 draws say as part of that study.  

My real dilemma is which shot to get.  I was hoping to get some advice here, but you tree-fiddy fuckers have gone and ruined it!  ;) 

1 minute ago, Deej said:

Normal antibody range is <.8 u/ml. So, would think 350, while comparatively low, is still offering you protection. I'd be stressed out if they came back and told me I scored a 1. 

I don't feel so hot, what do you think my antibody range is at?

"One."  

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

My real dilemma is which shot to get.  I was hoping to get some advice here, but you tree-fiddy fuckers have gone and ruined it!  ;) 

The CDC recommends getting the same mRNA shot, unless that one is not available, in which case you can get the other.  I got my booster before reading here that lots of people were getting them.  So I stuck with Pfizer because I didn't want any questions at the point of service.  If I had it to do over again, I'd probably have switched to Moderna.

17 hours ago, midtown said:
18 hours ago, dcbc said:
Cross posted from the School thread.  And obviously, it's anecdotal, but for what it's worth.  TylerISD was the largest school district in the state to remain open (in person) all of this past school year.  Masks were mandatory.  My kids tell me that was pretty much it.  Social distancing wasn't really accomplished.  We went from about 75% in person to 100ish% in person by November 2020.  Masks became optional in May 2021.
For this school year, masks are optional and probably fewer than 10% of students wear them (according to my kids, who do wear them and were vaccinated this summer). 
We are 3--4 weeks in, about 8% of the way through the school year.  To date, reported cases this year account for 60% of the cases from the entirety of previous school year when masks were mandated.   And that's with some of these kids having been vaccinated.  It's a bit of a shit show to say the least.
I'd be happy to read a scientific study about cloth/paper masks.  But until there's something comprehensive that says otherwise, I'm going to stay in the camp that say masks do make a difference in schools and elsewhere. 

I posted one earlier. Masks didn't do shit in schools

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not trying to convince anyone, nor will I argue about masks with anyone.  My kids are vaxxed and masked.  In all sincerety, best of luck to everyone in determining what precautions to take or not to take. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Try "tree-fiddy" as your search term. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Goredho said:

I'd suggest getting advice from your doctor, and trusting the science, rather than doing internet research on a college football message board forum...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

correctamundo-pulp-fiction.gif

To be fair, I'm also interested in what the randos and yahoos on this message board think, which is why I follow these threads.

I'm just not about to make any personal, medical decisions, based on the opinions of the surly hive mind. :)

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I'd suggest getting advice from your doctor, and trusting the science, rather than doing internet research on a college football message board forum...

I'm not not eating paste right now.  

Yeah, my physician charged me a co-pay to tell me that I should continue with my regimen of Pfizer, but that it really didn't matter between the two so to do what I felt comfortable with.  "Yeah, thanks Dr. Obvious.  Check's in the mail, way to take a stand!"  I guess wait on one more month of data.  Or find out what bars the Moderna pharma reps hang out for happy hour and see what she thinks.  

Holy fuck I said 350 way up thread as a passing throw away joke in the ‘tree fiddy’ vein.  Didn’t realize y’all were gonna spool up a task force and oversight board to debate its merit, scour medical publications for ‘350’ and throw in a few obligatory Lobo novels on the subject.  Neg away.  

Edit:  Lobo I consider being taken even half seriously a fuckin insult here.  At surly you take everyone no serious.  

Edited by Homercles
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Holy fuck I said 350 way up thread as a passing throw away joke in the ‘tree fiddy’ vein.  Didn’t realize y’all were gonna spool up a task force and oversight board to debate its merit, scour medical publications for ‘350’ and throw in a few obligatory Lobo novels on the subject.  Neg away.  

Edit:  Lobo I consider being taken even half seriously a fuckin insult here.  At surly you take everyone no serious.  

And now we know how people started eating anti-worm horse paste to prevent a virus.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I didn't really take it seriously man.  I was laughing at us all for going along with it.  I didn't write anything lengthy on it either.  I think it's funny, only throwing around pos rep on the whole deal. 

But yeah, my amateur epidemiology math with that .8, it does seem like 250-500 is on the cusp of needing the booster this month or next.  The 350 thing actually works then on multiple levels.  I had seen that range thrown around in another study in July as well from UT Public Health/UTS (I think it was referenced earlier in the thread by someone else).  It also sort of went through the "burn rate" by which you can expect your spikes to winnow away and if you "reverse engineer" it, it seemed like I'm losing 100-200 per month.  Which would put me around 450 by November, which is my 8th month.  Which is when most scientific experts have indicated the booster should be recommended.  So it always checked out and your joke was good on top of that.  

Most of us are reasonably logical enough to find our own peer-reviewed information on WHEN to get the booster.  Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go visit a horse trainer message board to see about my diarrhea.  

Speaking of horse paste:

https://www.insider.com/oklahomas-emergency-rooms-are-clogged-with-people-overdosing-on-ivermectin-2021-9

Oklahoma's ERs are so backed up with people overdosing on ivermectin that gunshot victims are having to wait to be treated, a doctor says

A doctor in rural Oklahoma said the number of people overdosing on the deworming medication ivermectin was so high that emergency rooms were filled to the brim.

The situation is so dire that people with gunshot wounds have to wait their turn to get treatment, Dr. Jason McElyea, an ER physician affiliated with hospitals in Sallisaw, told KFOR, an NBC affiliate in Oklahoma City.

McElyea spoke to the channel this week about the dangers of overdosing on the version of ivermectin meant for use in livestock. He said the hospitals he worked at became overwhelmed after people started taking ivermectin, believing unverified claims that it's an effective COVID-19 treatment.

"The ERs are so backed up that gunshot victims were having hard times getting to facilities where they can get definitive care and be treated," McElyea said.

There's a lot to unpack here, from the idiots taking horse paste as a cure-all, to the apparent surge of gunshot wounds in rural Oklahoma... COVID actually seems to be the least of this community's problems.

Edited by utee94

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Where we self-medicate one, we self-medicate all.

*pops a 350 mg THC gummy*

Hook, em!

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I didn't really take it seriously man.  I was laughing at us all for going along with it.  I didn't write anything lengthy on it either.  I think it's funny, only throwing around pos rep on the whole deal. 

But yeah, my amateur epidemiology math with that .8, it does seem like 250-500 is on the cusp of needing the booster this month or next.  The 350 thing actually works then on multiple levels.  I had seen that range thrown around in another study in July as well from UT Public Health/UTS (I think it was referenced earlier in the thread by someone else).  It also sort of went through the "burn rate" by which you can expect your spikes to winnow away and if you "reverse engineer" it, it seemed like I'm losing 100-200 per month.  Which would put me around 450 by November, which is my 8th month.  Which is when most scientific experts have indicated the booster should be recommended.  So it always checked out and your joke was good on top of that.  

Most of us are reasonably logical enough to find our own peer-reviewed information on WHEN to get the booster.  Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go visit a horse trainer message board to see about my diarrhea.  

…responds in Lobo Longpost ;)

Are the antibody counts done by a machine process, or is 2500+ the cutoff because Harold Honey Badger down in the lab set it as his ‘fuck it cutoff’, similar to when OSU is down 14 to OU and I turn the tv off.   

44 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Speaking of horse paste:

https://www.insider.com/oklahomas-emergency-rooms-are-clogged-with-people-overdosing-on-ivermectin-2021-9

There's a lot to unpack here, from the idiots taking horse paste as a cure-all, to the apparent surge of gunshot wounds in rural Oklahoma... COVID actually seems to be the least of this community's problems.

The dude is probably in a three to four bed ED at a rural hospital so back up is easy and well, it's Oklahoma.

53 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Speaking of horse paste:

What if...follow me for a minute...just what if...ivermectin cured gunshot wounds?

37 minutes ago, Homercles said:

…responds in Lobo Longpost ;)

Are the antibody counts done by a machine process, or is 2500+ the cutoff because Harold Honey Badger down in the lab set it as his ‘fuck it cutoff’, similar to when OSU is down 14 to OU and I turn the tv off.   

Someone posted that the detector is ranged to 250 and that if it pegs out they do a 10x dilution and measure again....so sounds like it's more of the latter.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well my wife’s antivax sister is in FAFO mode.  Her husband is vaxed, got covid and was pretty sick for a week, is pretty much recovered.  She refused to get vaccinated and is now at the ER in their small town hospital.  She’s a teacher and he’s a principal at a small district here in Texas.  I hope she gets well, but also hope she gets her head straight in the process.  Also hope my 75 yr old mother in law, who is also vaxed, isn’t collateral damage since they live next door to each other.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1