COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I thought the tree fiddy joke came AFTER that number was suggested, but what do I know? I’m just an unfrozen caveman.

I pointed out that it might be a joke after looking high and low for some sort of correlation between A/B number and protection.  I was about to ask for someone to serve up a link to support the 350 number and it dawned on me and I started shaking my head.  Late last week, the person who apparently first posted it said it was a joke.  Well played, to be sure.

Edited by dcbc

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Are other countries having issues getting people to get the damn shot or is this an American phenomenon?

Some are, some aren't, as posted up thread.  We are starting to ship internationally, so we should be able to boost a lot of countries.

I have a theory about the rates in countries that have access being tied to internet access (or access to batshit information).

5 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

A woman I went to high school with is a molecular biologist with a PhD.  She convinced her parents they shouldn't get vaccinated.  Covid killed both of them.  Of all the terrible stories from the last couple of years, that one pisses me off the most.  Yes, she's aggy.

Maybe she hated her parents.

1 minute ago, jettrink said:

This a serious question.  Does anyone know what's up with booster shots?  I finally got through to ARC today and they said no J&J boosters and I would have to start the entire series with the other two.  What the hell is going on?

This means:

1) there is no booster for J&J; and

2) you can get the two Pfizer or Moderna shots if you'd like to.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Agreed.  

No doubt about that one. 

Her parents were way north of 70, good friends of my mom and dad.  Simple cotton farmers who absolutely listened to a daughter they reasonably thought would know what she was talking about.   If she or her Bama trumper husband had died, I would definitely respond with "fuck around/find out".  Her parents' deaths break my heart though.  And this shit is going on all over the country with elderly folks listening to their dumbass kids.

That daughter is evil and she was probably hoping they would die so she could inherit all their shit. Happens all the time. Whoever knows her should tell her that and contest any will.

Well had to sign my oldest up for a COVID test.  While on the ARC app it also let me schedule my booster - it actually specifically called out boosters starting in September.  Answered truthfully about not being immunocompromised and it only asked if it has been greater than six months from last shot.  At first I thought it was going to limit booster option to Pfizer given the full approval but was able to select Moderna and get scheduled for tomorrow.  I’m just over 7 months out from the second shot.  My Texas CARES number was 994 a few weeks ago.  Any reason not to do the booster?

10 hours ago, Parliament said:

Re: boosters.  I'm pretty sure my 1st 2 shots where Pfizer.  Will my eventual booster need to be Pfizer as well?  Or is Moderna good too?  I don't wanna do it wrong and grow hooves.

A while back, I was looking at the CDC webpage and recall its saying that you go with the same shot for the booster, "unless that shot is unavailable," in which case, you can go with the other mRNA vaccine for the booster.  I don't think availability is an issue for most of us, but it doesn't look like there is harm in switching to Moderna if you think it will be better in the long run.

58 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wait, an M.D. administered photosynthesis to a live human as a treatment for Covid-19?  

I'm not judging, but I didn't even know that was a thing.  

I was more surprised than an osteopathic doc made house calls. And was the doc vaccinated?

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

On a separate note, I've noticed all the blame on this thread being put on "Trumpers". I know it is just anecdotal but here in Austin my practice has seen about equal numbers of "Trumpers" and holistic medicine "Libtards". I don't argue with either because it is pointless and it would just lead to lost business. I let each go on their diatribes whether it be the dangers of big government or the dangers of big pharma. Yesterday, I had a patient who told me she almost died from COVID last month - Her doctor came to her house and had her take chlorophyll which she said helped her breathing tremendously. She blamed her bad COVID case on iron (I can't remember whether it was high or low iron). I just said that it was probably more due to not being vaccinated. Some people just need to take their own path.

Unless the demographics have changed drastically in the last few days, we know statistically the AA and Latino communities are the ones with the most significant vax hesitancy (as a % of total population)

If you ever needed some sort of visual to demonstrate the efficacy of the vaccine, look no further. During my daily morning check of the maps on the NYTimes site, I couldn't help but spot this.

image.png.b7e13d670b73c07c906da0b6e0128b9a.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/tennessee-covid-cases.html

Edited by bolverk
bad grammer, need more coffee
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Well had to sign my oldest up for a COVID test.  While on the ARC app it also let me schedule my booster - it actually specifically called out boosters starting in September.  Answered truthfully about not being immunocompromised and it only asked if it has been greater than six months from last shot.  At first I thought it was going to limit booster option to Pfizer given the full approval but was able to select Moderna and get scheduled for tomorrow.  I’m just over 7 months out from the second shot.  My Texas CARES number was 994 a few weeks ago.  Any reason not to do the booster?

Read back a couple of pages for an opposing view point on boosters.  I haven't decided yet.  Your number seems relatively high for 7 months out (at least compared to Pfizer). Of course nobody really has any idea what antibody number means on an individual basis.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/mckinney-fire-captain-shares-message-of-faith-after-crew-helped-save-his-life/2736075/?fbclid=IwAR2jBVPReYod7p4Hc-K2XxhiwfiMa0H6XnJWUI4kHTPdKDOIrJKNEzz1eWM

At 43, he worked out daily, ate well and had received a clean bill of health from his cardiologist a few months prior.

So when the fire captain contracted what he thought was a mild case of COVID-19 in August of 2020, he spent his two weeks of quarantine working on his farm.

He returned to work feeling fine, but days later while in the middle of a workout outside Fire Station No. 5, he collapsed – sudden cardiac arrest.

49 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Read back a couple of pages for an opposing view point on boosters.  I haven't decided yet.  Your number seems relatively high for 7 months out (at least compared to Pfizer). Of course nobody really has any idea what antibody number means on an individual basis.

So, what are the opposing viewpoints? I would say that a booster in the short-run makes sense. When to get it is questionable. Remember, though, if you get the booster and are exposed to COVID, you should have a stronger immunity than if you hadn't been exposed to COVID. <<Sorry for the confusing statement but I will try to clarify>> What I am trying to say is the booster will protect you. But, the booster will probably still allow your body to mount a more robust response if you are exposed to COVID. So, you will have a strong response to the spike protein and a response to other parts of the virus. This means from an efficacy standpoint, getting the booster is a no brainer.

So, the only concern for getting the booster is whether it causes any harm. The long-term harm, at this point, is only conjecture. Short-term, there could be issues with myocarditis, blood clots, and anaphylaxis. I'm not concerned with anaphylaxis as it has been rare. Myocarditis and pericarditis has seemed transient meaning that it isn't long-lasting. And evidence in Israel suggests that it won't be much of a risk. My concern is when we get to the third and forth boosters so I personally am not in a big hurry to get the booster. I'll get it because I am exposed to COVID patients, but I'll probably wait until the fall or early winter. And this stuff is a moving target. As new data comes in, I may change my thought process.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I have a cousin who is a Princeton PhD molecular biologist….she has called most events in the pandemic accurately all the way through, including timing of expected case spikes etc. She strongly urged all of us to get an mRNA vaccine as soon as we could.

Yeah, Princeton smarter than aggy. Shocker.

my dad's an oxford phd in molecular biology.  uncle's a cambridge phd in molecular biology.  both have been advocating vaxxes AND third booster shots asap.  

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

See post 7754 on page 156.

He isn't against the booster. I would say he is somewhat on the fence and taking a wait and see approach. A high number of breakthrough cases would probably change his opinion. Conversely, adverse events or a decrease in efficacy/increase in humoral response against lipid encapsulation would lead him to forgo the booster.

My honest advice would be to get the mRNA shot and to schedule the second shot around your races.  If you get JNJ you are going to eventually need the second shot boost so might as well just start with the mRNA version. Around 24-48 hours post second shot and you will be GTG, so just scheduled aroudn training and race day as needed. *Not medical advice, haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn in a long long time. 

• Like 1