COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

55 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m sure I’m gonna regret the fuck out of this.  Anyone take the Johnson and Johnson shot.  Any issues ? Fatigue etc. I have several races coming up and want to avoid the 2 shot ones if possible 

I found this on the internet and the internet is never wrong.

5mb9eo.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m sure I’m gonna regret the fuck out of this.  Anyone take the Johnson and Johnson shot.  Any issues ? Fatigue etc. I have several races coming up and want to avoid the 2 shot ones if possible 

People races or horse races? 

I have an employee whose husband is in his mid-60’s and is a nurse. He got JnJ probably back in January. He got a breakthrough and infected his non-vaxxed mid 50’s wife. She was sick as a dog, wishing she’d been vaxxed for two weeks. He slept all day. She got better, he crashed and is out of the ICU but is on high flow O2 and was hypoxic for maybe a day before they got him to the hospital. He has significant neurological issues and cannot get off of the O2.

Get a booster of something good.
  • Hook 'Em 1

For the record I’ve had covid. I lost my sense of smell for about 5 hours and I was kind of tired the next day. Outside of the 2 positive tests I wouldn’t have onow I had it. Uncle Sam is forcing us to get it and I have 2 Ironman races coming up and 1 will def be a few weeks after shot time so I’m trying to minimize downtime. My co worker and office mate got moderna ans he’s on month 4 of headaches and hating his life and had to withdraw from his races because he can’t run more than a mile without feeling like death.  I know everyone reacts differently to everything my bro in the navy got jj had zero issues. Got covid a few weeks back and didn’t have any effects. Everything’s all over the map I’d rather just be left alone to hibernate haha 

Dumb question alert

Last Tuesday I got my second moderna and like the first one, it was just a sore arm for a few days. Is there any correlation that if you have little or zero side effects from the shot that you would’ve been asymptomatic if you had covid?

I had a negative antibody test in May and there wasn’t anything in June or July that would’ve told me I caught covid .

Sweet, I have a 50% off coupon for Smoothie King I've been meaning to sell on here.  

Can I add Gladiator Protein powder to mine for a slight upcharge?  What about paste?  Can they just squirt the horse deworm crap straight into my cup?  

25 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dumb question alert

Last Tuesday I got my second moderna and like the first one, it was just a sore arm for a few days. Is there any correlation that if you have little or zero side effects from the shot that you would’ve been asymptomatic if you had covid?

I had a negative antibody test in May and there wasn’t anything in June or July that would’ve told me I caught covid .

I got Moderna, too.  The day after my second shot I had a headache and felt exhausted for about 8 hours, then suddenly felt fine.  It was so much less than what others reported that I wondered if it didn't take.  Last week I had the antibody draw for the Texascares thing, and my antibody count was a healthy 1224.  I think that there is little correlation between the severity of the reaction to the second shot and its efficacy.  I'm no doc, though.  Your mileage may vary.

• Hook 'Em 2

Am I remembering wrong or are we supposed to get a 2nd and 3rd blood draw for that texascares antibody count deal?  

If you have the opportunity, use the Medical Arts Drive facility just north of campus.  It was a yoga pants competition in there last time I went for my first draw.  Only time in my life I've been bummed out to get my name called so quickly for a medical visit.  

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dumb question alert

Probably the opposite.

Edit: wait, you mean if you had covid after being vaccinated or unvaccinated?

Edited by XYZ

Probably the opposite.
Edit: wait, you mean if you had covid after being vaccinated or unvaccinated?

I haven’t had covid up to 4 months ago when I took an antibody test in May. Nothing in June/July would lead me to believe I got covid when I got shot 1 in august. Done with both shots but had zero issues besides arm being felt like it was punched. I was wondering had I ever was a positive for covid if my symptoms would’ve been asymptomatic to covid because I had such mild reaction to the shots…unlike others who are laid out by the shot if they would’ve had a tougher time with covid

57 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I haven’t had covid up to 4 months ago when I took an antibody test in May. Nothing in June/July would lead me to believe I got covid when I got shot 1 in august. Done with both shots but had zero issues besides arm being felt like it was punched. I was wondering had I ever was a positive for covid if my symptoms would’ve been asymptomatic to covid because I had such mild reaction to the shots…unlike others who are laid out by the shot if they would’ve had a tougher time with covid

I don’t know that there is a correlation between the two.

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just looking at that graphic, it does look though like your risk of death after hospitalization is pretty similar for vaccinated and unvaccinated. So if you get to that point, you’ve exhausted any benefit of vaccination you unlucky bastard.  High variance of low numbers disclosure applies. 

Maybe it’s because if you are vaccinated and you need to be hospitalized, it means the vaccine didn’t work as intended, so it’s like you are unvaccinated, with the same chance of death. For most people the vaccine works as intended, but for maybe 5-10% it doesn’t for who knows what reason.

14 hours ago, Lobo said:

Am I remembering wrong or are we supposed to get a 2nd and 3rd blood draw for that texascares antibody count deal?  

If you have the opportunity, use the Medical Arts Drive facility just north of campus.  It was a yoga pants competition in there last time I went for my first draw.  Only time in my life I've been bummed out to get my name called so quickly for a medical visit.  

The will contact you 3 months after your 1st draw to remind you to get your 2nd. Three months later, the same thing will happen for your 3rd. 

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Could you rephrase all that? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Dumb question alert

I remember reading about this back in the spring.  Only 30-40% of people will have a strong reaction to the vaccine.  You're good.  I also only had sore arm with Moderna.

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

Some fresh data out of San Diego, for any dipshits still arguing "what's the point of getting vaccinated if you're still going to catch it?"

E-2V18YVQAQy2PJ?format=jpg&name=large

Not fully vaccinated are 3.5X more likely to become infected and, once infected, 47.5X more likely to require hospitalization. 

I don’t think the odds of catching Covid work quite like that - just dividing non vax by vax. It would depend on total number of vax vs non vax in the area. I believe that county is over 77% vax’d, so that would mean the odds of getting it are even worse than 3.5x if you aren’t vax’d. Considering there are only 800k unvaccinated, you might need to add a zero. Or two. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I don’t think the odds of catching Covid work quite like that - just dividing non vax by vax. It would depend on total number of vax vs non vax in the area. I believe that county is over 77% vax’d, so that would mean the odds of getting it are even worse than 3.5 that if you aren’t vax’d. 

correct

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I don’t think the odds of catching Covid work quite like that - just dividing non vax by vax. It would depend on total number of vax vs non vax in the area. I believe that county is over 77% vax’d, so that would mean the odds of getting it are even worse than that if you aren’t vax’d. 

E-2Uf3dUcAUIc00?format=jpg&name=large

E-2UmQ2XEAAAaGD?format=jpg&name=medium

The least vaccinated areas have higher case rates.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Also, here's the actual calculation:

E-2QsN9WQAYgL5C?format=jpg&name=large

I’m not arguing that unvaccinated areas don’t have more cases. And that is not a calculation for odds of catching it. That is number of occurrences.  What I’m saying is you have roughly 800k unvaccinated people accounting for over 1000 cases per day vs 2.1 million vaccinated people accounting for 300-500 cases a day.  You are much more than 3.5x as likely to catch Covid if you are unvaccinated.

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m not arguing that unvaccinated areas don’t have more cases. And that is not a calculation for odds of catching it. That is number of occurrences.  What I’m saying is you have roughly 800k unvaccinated people accounting for over 1000 cases per day vs 2.1 vaccinated people accounting for 300-500 cases a day.  You are much more than 3.5x as likely to catch Covid if you are unvaccinated.

OK. I should have said case rate is currently 3.5x higher among unvaccinated vs. vaccinated.

If they just wouldn't have said anything, we could still probably get a few million people who normally get their flu shot but are denying the Covid vaccine to secretly receive both via this Moderna cocktail.  I'm guessing pharmaceutical companies have some regulations that prohibit such shenanigans?  

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Some fresh data out of San Diego, for any dipshits still arguing "what's the point of getting vaccinated if you're still going to catch it?"

E-2V18YVQAQy2PJ?format=jpg&name=large

Not fully vaccinated are 3.5X more likely to become infected and, once infected, 47.5X more likely to require hospitalization. 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just looking at that graphic, it does look though like your risk of death after hospitalization is pretty similar for vaccinated and unvaccinated. So if you get to that point, you’ve exhausted any benefit of vaccination you unlucky bastard.  High variance of low numbers disclosure applies. 

I'm probably doing it wrong but If look at August 1st forward on the death chart I count about 10 fully vaxxed deaths vs. approximately 100 non-vaxxed deaths.  That still seems like a strong disparity in risk of death.

Just now, orange dream said:

I'm probably doing it wrong but If look at August 1st forward on the death chart I count about 10 fully vaxxed deaths vs. approximately 100 non-vaxxed deaths.  That still seems like a strong disparity in risk of death.

Yeah I saw the same thing, like 19 vaxed vs over 100 unvaxed.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

3 hours ago, XYZ said:

Maybe it’s because if you are vaccinated and you need to be hospitalized, it means the vaccine didn’t work as intended, so it’s like you are unvaccinated, with the same chance of death. For most people the vaccine works as intended, but for maybe 5-10% it doesn’t for who knows what reason.

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I don’t think the odds of catching Covid work quite like that - just dividing non vax by vax. It would depend on total number of vax vs non vax in the area. I believe that county is over 77% vax’d, so that would mean the odds of getting it are even worse than 3.5x if you aren’t vax’d. Considering there are only 800k unvaccinated, you might need to add a zero. Or two. 

22 minutes ago, orange dream said:

21 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah I saw the same thing, like 19 vaxed vs over 100 unvaxed.

Yesterdays NY Times "The Daily" podcast had a pretty good discussion and explanation for breakthrough risk for cases and hospitalizations of the vaccinated.

Link here:

Apoorva Mandavilli

Once again, it turns out that vaccines are really the key here. There is a very clear relationship between the percent of a population who are vaccinated in a state and the number of hospitalizations. If you look at the states with the highest numbers now — Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina — these are states with low vaccination rates hovering just around 40 percent or so. And a much smaller contribution to hospitalizations is that some vaccinated people who are developing breakthrough infections are ending up in the hospital. That is a much smaller proportion, though, and mostly made up of older people and immunocompromised people.

Michael Barbaro
And when you say smaller proportion, what percentage are you talking about?

Apoorva Mandavilli
Well, so this gets a little bit tricky. What you might hear, for example, is that 20 percent of people in a given hospital are vaccinated. And that sounds very scary, right?

Michael Barbaro
Yeah, it sounds like a lot, right.

Apoorva Mandavilli
That number is misleading, though, because what it’s hiding is a lot of detail, a lot of detail that’s very important. Probably the most important one is, who are those people who are in the hospital? And I think what you’ll see in the places that are actually collecting that information is that the vast majority of the vaccinated people who end up in the hospital are older people and immunocompromised people who didn’t really respond very well to the vaccines to begin with.

Michael Barbaro
Got it.

Apoorva Mandavilli
On average, somebody who is vaccinated and has died from a breakthrough infection is 78 years old. So it really is people who are older and have pretty weak immune systems who end up in the hospital with a breakthrough infection.

Michael Barbaro
In other words, the people who were always most susceptible to Covid-19 are the vaccinated people who end up in the hospital. And you’re saying that’s what gets you to a number like 20 percent of hospitalizations.

Apoorva Mandavilli
That’s right.

Michael Barbaro
So on the subject of breakthrough infections, when we last spoke with you, we were just starting to wrap our heads around how big a threat they were. Clusters had broken out in places like Provincetown, Massachusetts. You mentioned a wedding in Oklahoma. It seems like at this point now, at the end of the summer, everybody knows somebody who is vaccinated and yet still got one of these breakthrough infections. So now that the summer is over, what’s our understanding of how common or how rare breakthrough infections really are?

Apoorva Mandavilli
What we know now is that breakthrough infections are not rare. They’re not common, but they’re not rare either. And they’re certainly more common with Delta than they were with the original virus, and more than we expected them to be. But it’s important to note that we are still much less likely to be infected if you’re vaccinated and much, much less likely to get really sick if you’re vaccinated.

Michael Barbaro
But of course, the answer that everybody really wants to hear is that breakthrough infections are rare, rare, rare, rare. And you’re saying that’s not really an assurance we can give.

Apoorva Mandavilli
It’s not, because that’s not really what these vaccines were ever thought to do. We always knew that breakthrough infections were a possibility. It’s just that they seem to be more common than we thought they would be. This is also at the heart of the conversation about boosters and a rift that’s been developing between scientists and the Biden administration on who should get boosters and when.

• Hook 'Em 3

He's talking about this:

image.png.73d6f57198ddda7239734f866343fa67.png

20/71 = 28% of vaccinated hospitalizations have resulted in death
186/1984 = 9.4% of unvaccinated hospitalizations have resulted in death

Now some stupid people will run with that as a reason not to get vaccinated. They will ignore the case rate and hospitalization rate. Hospitalization rate for unvaccinated is 1.90 versus 0.04 for vaccinated, so it's 47.5 times higher. So if you get to the point if hospitalization, the numbers say you're 3 times as likely to die if you're vaccinated. There are lots of possible explanations for this, including that maybe hospitalizations only happen to the extremely vulnerable members of the vaccinated population (who would have been hospitalized if they were unvaccinated as well). Either way, if you're 47.5 times more likely to be hospitalized if you're unvaccinated but then 1/3 as likely to die once hospitalized, you guessed it, this means that unvaccinated people are about 16 times more likely to die from COVID than vaccinated people.

All numbers only based on the San Diego data, obviously.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Hospitalization rate for unvaccinated is 1.90 versus 0.04 for vaccinated, so it's 47.5 times higher. So if you get to the point if hospitalization, the numbers say you're 3 times as likely to die if you're vaccinated. There are lots of possible explanations for this, including that maybe hospitalizations only happen to the extremely vulnerable members of the vaccinated population (who would have been hospitalized if they were unvaccinated as well). Either way, if you're 47.5 times more likely to be hospitalized if you're unvaccinated but then 1/3 as likely to die once hospitalized, you guessed it, this means that unvaccinated people are about 16 times more likely to die from COVID than vaccinated people.

All numbers only based on the San Diego data, obviously.

Bingo.

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

That number is misleading, though, because what it’s hiding is a lot of detail, a lot of detail that’s very important. Probably the most important one is, who are those people who are in the hospital? And I think what you’ll see in the places that are actually collecting that information is that the vast majority of the vaccinated people who end up in the hospital are older people and immunocompromised people who didn’t really respond very well to the vaccines to begin with.

On average, somebody who is vaccinated and has died from a breakthrough infection is 78 years old. So it really is people who are older and have pretty weak immune systems who end up in the hospital with a breakthrough infection.

In other words, the people who were always most susceptible to Covid-19 are the vaccinated people who end up in the hospital. And you’re saying that’s what gets you to a number like 20 percent of hospitalizations.

• Hook 'Em 1