COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

A letter to the Lancet here addressing boosters co-signed by, among others, the two FDA vaccine officials that are quitting. 

This is a great article.  It is nice seeing top level scientists push back against the politicians.  Some of my favorite excerpts: 

A consistent finding is that vaccine efficacy is substantially greater against severe disease than against any infection; in addition, vaccination appears to be substantially protective against severe disease from all the main viral variants. Although the efficacy of most vaccines against symptomatic disease is somewhat less for the delta variant than for the alpha variant, there is still high vaccine efficacy against both symptomatic and severe disease due to the delta variant.

Current evidence does not, therefore, appear to show a need for boosting in the general population, in which efficacy against severe disease remains high. Even if humoral immunity appears to wane, reductions in neutralising antibody titre do not necessarily predict reductions in vaccine efficacy over time, and reductions in vaccine efficacy against mild disease do not necessarily predict reductions in the (typically higher) efficacy against severe disease.

If vaccines are deployed where they would do the most good, they could hasten the end of the pandemic by inhibiting further evolution of variants. Indeed, WHO has called for a moratorium on boosting until the benefits of primary vaccination have been made available to more people around the world.18 This is a compelling issue, particularly as the currently available evidence does not show the need for widespread use of booster vaccination in populations that have received an effective primary vaccination regimen.

We need to be shifting focus to get more vaccine to resource poor parts of the world where the virus is currently raging out of control.  If we are going to see a variant that can escape the vaccines to a high degree it will likely be the result of the uncontrolled spread in these areas.  This ends faster, we save more lives, and we can get the economy back to normal faster when all of humanity has access to the vaccine and not just us.   

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 2:07 AM, justhookit said:

I asked this same question a week or so back and nobody answered so I am assuming no. Was also wondering if anyone got a surprise positive. No answer to that either and I think those are both really interesting data points. Wish we had a larger sample.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:01 AM, dcbc said:

Somebody posted that his wife results showed a previously unknown COVID infection.  I cannot remember who that was though.

I think that that was me.  Wife was N antibody positive. Nobody else has tripped the covid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Dontshootrude said:

We need to be shifting focus to get more vaccine to resource poor parts of the world where the virus is currently raging out of control.  If we are going to see a variant that can escape the vaccines to a high degree it will likely be the result of the uncontrolled spread in these areas.  This ends faster, we save more lives, and we can get the economy back to normal faster when all of humanity has access to the vaccine and not just us.   

How much is China the WHO paying you, exactly?  

Stay Home United Nations GIF by INTO ACTION

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I think that that was me.  Wife was N antibody positive. Nobody else has tripped the covid. 

I had Covid back in February, and got positives on the S antibody - 347 - and the N antibody - 184 - in the Texas Cares study a couple of weeks ago  

I have not been vaccinated, but always believed that I should be fine for some time without a vaccination, especially based on some preliminary studies. And, of course, got the shit negged out of me for saying so on here.

So, what do you make of the Israeli study - or maybe analysis -  that shows that previously infected people like me have more robust protection than people with both doses of Pfizer?

I saw a doctor that is part of the University of California system tweet statistics showing that a vaccine would be statistically irrelevant for someone like me. I don’t think he is a right wing crazy, but not sure. He was basing that on the Israeli study and a UK study.

I’ll try to figure out how to post his tweet.

16 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I had Covid back in February, and got positives on the S antibody - 347 - and the N antibody - 184 - in the Texas Cares study a couple of weeks ago  

I have not been vaccinated, but always believed that I should be fine for some time without a vaccination, especially based on some preliminary studies. And, of course, got the shit negged out of me for saying so on here.

So, what do you make of the Israeli study - or maybe analysis -  that shows that previously infected people like me have more robust protection than people with both doses of Pfizer?

I saw a doctor that is part of the University of California system tweet statistics showing that a vaccine would be statistically irrelevant for someone like me. I don’t think he is a right wing crazy, but not sure. He was basing that on the Israeli study and a UK study.

I’ll try to figure out how to post his tweet.

The data supports your position.  Truthfully, I think we are making a big mistake by drawing a line in the sand with regards to vaccination and disregarding people in your situation.  If I were in charge, that official antibody test that proves that you had it and mounted an immune response against the virus should be good enough to count as "vaccinated" and you shouldn't be subject to any punitive measures.  At the very least they should only require you to get a single mRNA shot.  But it is what it is.  You'll probably need to get it, particularly if you want to travel and if the mandates end up sticking.

Here is a little blurb with links to the studies that I wrote to someone who asked the same thing a little while ago:

Studies are showing no real world benefit from getting the vaccine after recovering from infection, and there is plenty of protection to reduce the chances of reinfection and severe disease. And we also have studies demonstrating immunity from natural infection will be long lasting, possibly even providing lifetime protection, and might be more robust than vaccination alone.  With regards to vaccine breakthrough, reinfections among those who recovered from natural infection tentatively don't show as high of viral loads as those that were only vaccinated. There are a couple studies that demonstrated the neutralizing antibodies get significantly better months after infection and are able to better neutralize the variants, likely because the remnants of the virus has been shown to stay in your small bowel for months after the infection is over. This allows your immune system ample time to learn and develop a better response.

The data on those that are getting vaccinated after recovering from COVID does show that you do get a better immune response than those that only had the vaccine or recovered from infection and there are no significant side effects from making that choice.  It is actually paradoxically good, almost like 1+1=4.  In pregnant women, getting vaccinated will provide a benefit to the child, as that boost will provide better protection during the pregnancy and while nursing after birth.

There has been no benefit to getting the second mRNA shot in COVID recovered individuals, so if you are young and healthy and need to be vaccinated for work or travel the Johnson and Johnson shot would be a good option so you don’t have to deal with the hassle of getting the second shot.  The one exception to this is young females should probably stick with the mRNA vaccines as the risk of the rare clotting condition CVST is not observed in the Moderna or Pfizer vaccines.

And don’t misconstrue what I’m saying.  If you haven’t had COVID the choice is still clear. Vaccination is by far your best option for gaining immunity.  The relative risks of the vaccine vs getting COVID greatly favor vaccination.

Vaccinevsnaturalrisk.thumb.png.ea3dbb8d9712b2e772acb56828574d40.png

The mRNA vaccines are holding up very well and appear to be generating long term immune cells, and when measuring spike specific immune responses the vaccine appears to have a slight edge on natural infection.  The difference between vaccine vs natural immunity is likely not going to be meaningful.  Say we are executing someone by firing squad, and you decide to put 11 people on the line instead of 12.  Does that really matter?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Got fully vaccinated last April and two days later my damn dick falls off. Doc sewed it back on but months later it’s still not the same. I think it’s lately making me constipated. Anyone know how to share this story on Facebook?

I had to sew it back on myself last week.  Turned away at the ER.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Got fully vaccinated last April and two days later my damn dick falls off. Doc sewed it back on but months later it’s still not the same. I think it’s lately making me constipated. Anyone know how to share this story on Facebook?

john-wayne-bobbitt-1.jpg

32 minutes ago, sidis said:

Sweatergod, I am changing my band’s name on Spotify and Apple Music to “the Israeli study” and am going to enjoy finally making enough on music that I can quit my day job. 

Is it this easy to get on the mail box gravy train? I thought that shit was limited to lobbyist gate keepers and lawyer billing hourly. 

39 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

The data supports your position.  Truthfully, I think we are making a big mistake by drawing a line in the sand with regards to vaccination and disregarding people in your situation.  If I were in charge, that official antibody test that proves that you had it and mounted an immune response against the virus should be good enough to count as "vaccinated" and you shouldn't be subject to any punitive measures.  At the very least they should only require you to get a single mRNA shot.  But it is what it is.  You'll probably need to get it, particularly if you want to travel and if the mandates end up sticking.

There is a weird insistence on disregarding natural immunity from our government entities here. 

Fortunately it looks like some smaller private entities are starting to realize this error. It would be nice to see it become more widespread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

Studies are showing no real world benefit from getting the vaccine after recovering from infection, and there is plenty of protection to reduce the chances of reinfection and severe disease. And we also have studies demonstrating immunity from natural infection will be long lasting, possibly even providing lifetime protection, and might be more robust than vaccination alone.  With regards to vaccine breakthrough, reinfections among those who recovered from natural infection tentatively don't show as high of viral loads as those that were only vaccinated. There are a couple studies that demonstrated the neutralizing antibodies get significantly better months after infection and are able to better neutralize the variants, likely because the remnants of the virus has been shown to stay in your small bowel for months after the infection is over. This allows your immune system ample time to learn and develop a better response.

Thank you for your reply.

I’m tired of getting portrayed as an evil asshole that wants to kill everyone.

I’m not the enemy. The jackasses that haven’t been infected or vaccinated are the ones that should be getting the heat.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Victor Lazlo said:

I’m not the enemy. The jackasses that haven’t been infected or vaccinated are the ones that should be getting the heat.

Yep.  Those naïve to infection, and those that think pork makes better BBQ than beef and anyone who has liquid smoke in their house should have their ass mandated into oblivion. 

18 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

There is a weird insistence on disregarding natural immunity from our government entities here. 

Fortunately it looks like some smaller private entities are starting to realize this error. It would be nice to see it become more widespread. 

Screenshot_20210913-210937_Firefox.thumb.jpg.9c7af55df7b439a2547a1a3d9e4ed1af.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

I'll be eagerly awaiting this publication later this week.  It has been ambiguous at which age at which the third shot will make sense at this point.  From this sneak peak out of Israel it looks like the answer will be 60 years of age and those who are immunocompromised.  

Edited by Dontshootrude

5 minutes ago, Dontshootrude said:

I'll be eagerly awaiting this publication later this week.  It has been ambiguous at which age at which the third shot will make sense at this point.  From this sneak peak out of Israel it looks like the answer will be 60 years of age and those who are immunocompromised.  

Things that were largely established weeks and months ago. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Things that were largely established weeks and months ago. 

Oh I don't know about that.  I agree it has been clear that there are people that would benefit from a third shot, but at which age that benefit starts to be measurable will really be tied down with this study.  It is the first well designed and controlled study on a large number of people regarding boosters that I will have seen.  Maybe I missed a few?  Please link if so. 

A woman with whom I work who had COVID with long haul symptoms last May and refused to get vaccinated because (1) she's an antivaxxer for many years now and (2) her "lung doctor" told her her prior infection would offer sufficient protection (I doubt this conversation actually took place) now has (wait for it) COVID again.  We checked in with her and she texted another coworker saying, "Why me?  Again?"

I think I know the answer.

Anyone know anything about Cousin Minaj?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Tucker Carlson?...

Tucker:  "Uh, he's sick.  My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Nicki Minaj's cousin pass out from swollen testicles at 31 Flavors last night. I guess the vaccine is pretty dangerous." 

Thank you, Tucker.

Tucker:  "No problem, whatsoever."  

---or---

Tucker:  "Well a group of us at Fox News are collecting money to buy Nicki Minaj's cousin new testicles.  They run about 50g's total, so if you wouldn't mind helping out.  (can is knocked out of hands).  Hey, what if someday you need a favor from Nicki Minaj's cousin?  Where will you be then, you heartless wench?!?!"  

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I guess when your wife sees open sores on your dick, you can now blame it on the vaccine and she'll take it at face value.

Or you could just tell her you found another way to deworm horses...from a different angle.