COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Can you do that?  I did Pfizer for first two.  But am considering Moderna for the booster (I'll be due in about 2-3 months at this rate)?  I'm not gonna bother my physician about it (he likes to overcharge), but curious what the science/medical community thinks of switching it up?  

I don't see why not.  kinda like going from IPA to Double IPA.  you'll need one a 5 months and then another at 5 months after that.

didn't we hear of people getting one of each during the first round?

Edited by dcar00

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Can you do that?  I did Pfizer for first two.  But am considering Moderna for the booster (I'll be due in about 2-3 months at this rate)?  I'm not gonna bother my physician about it (he likes to overcharge), but curious what the science/medical community thinks of switching it up?  

Pfizer before Moderna, never learn-a

Moderna before Pfizer, never rise-a

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Semi anecdotal but my MD said that if you switch you should think of it as starting over and get 2 rounds of the new one rather than just 1 “booster.”

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

No harm in switching it up as far as we know. There should be little difference whether the nucleic acid sequence which makes the spike protein is introduced into the cell using an attenuated cold vector (adenovirus virus -J&J), or as naked modified mRNA (Moderna, Pfizer). Also, there is probably little difference if injecting a recombinant spike protein. A doctor or nurse may object because of protocol or because of limited data, but if it was me, I would probably switch.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Semi anecdotal but my MD said that if you switch you should think of it as starting over and get 2 rounds of the new one rather than just 1 “booster.”

Very anecdotal, but I wouldn't be opposed to it unless the first booster gave me a crazy bad reaction.

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Sorry if already posted, but I'm looking to get my booster in mid-September.  Team Moderna, second shot on Feb. 27.  Can I just bring my vaccine card to any provider administering Moderna, or do I need to go to the provider who gave me the first two shots?

You can go wherever the fuck you want. Not a doctor, but thinking through this, many of the places administering the vaccine to folks initially don't exist anymore in Houston. Drive through facilities, etc. So it's not like those folks are fucked forever. Also my friend got her booster and it wasn't from the same place she got her shots, which again doesn't exist anymore. She literally went to a place she heard didn't ask any questions. 

Yeah, you can get it anywhere that has Moderna shots.  My parents both got their booster at Wal-Mart.  It was pretty easy for them.  A pharmacy or HEB will also work.  From what's been posted here, HEB asks the most questions.

Edited by kevwun

5 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I wonder how much, if any, of the Moderna benefit with generally higher antibody count over time is a result of the extra week between doses.

It's probable a combo of the extra week and the fact that Moderna is a larger dose than Pfizer.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I wonder how much, if any, of the Moderna benefit with generally higher antibody count over time is a result of the extra week between doses.

Impossible to know, I would guess that most of the difference is due to the timing of doses. There are many things involved -the immunogenicity of the antigen, the amt. of mRNA used, the ability of the mRNA to enter the cell, the longevity of the mRNA inside the cell, etc. Moderna has put a huge amount of time into the nuances of the procedure - getting the mRNA into the cell, stabilizing the mRNA and minimizing the body's response to the mRNA.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

For those in the 2,500 and up club, what were you all?

Pfizer here, last vaccine in May.

Pfizer.  Second shot in mid January.  Got the booster about 6 days before testing.

Edited by dcbc

24 minutes ago, Foosters said:

does it come in apple flavor?

I've decided to give Ivermectin a chance now that I found a brand that's organic and gluten-free.  

15 minutes ago, ABSR said:

I'm going to patent the paste form of it and make a fortune!!

My suggestion to you is to label said paste with:

"Ivermectin...it's got what horse craves!" 

Another lab service had this:
https://www.citymd.com/understanding-your-spike-protein-results
Please note: A numerical value will be reported up to 2,500 U/mL. For patients testing higher then 2,500 U/mL, your results will be reported as “Greater Than 2,500 U/mL."
And then this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7963519/
The Elecsys Anti-SARS-CoV-2 S assay (Ref. # 09289275190) is a quantitative electrochemiluminescence immuno assay that measures the concentration of an individual's total immunoglobulin against a recombinant spike protein (receptor binding domain) of SARS-CoV-2. The measurement range of the assay is from 0.40 U/mL to 250 U/mL. Values lower than the limit of quantification are reported as For values > 250 U/mL, our analyzer automatically makes a 1:10 dilution and measures again, so that values up to 2500 U/mL can be reported.
Sounds like it's a limitation of the equipment.

That’s a Roche assay. Make sure you’re not taking Biotin. It might interfere.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Not a DR disclaimer. 

Official advice is take the same as your original. NIH/NIAID currently has a study looking at mixing and matching vaccines. Until those results come back, the CDC is going to tell you to take the same one. That said, they'll also say you can mix if that's the only option, because the data seems fine and other Western countries did it with no issue. 

I advised my immune compromised relative, who asked, to switch and take Moderna. Reasoning was they are also exposed to kids that go to an unmasked school and definitely need the stronger, longer lasting immune response. 

They were exhausted for 36 hours and then back to complete normal. 

Edited by Pods

5 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Texas State.

I presume there is still  a lot of hot ass in San Marcos? If Blinn is my only other option, I would like to announce that i'm taking my talents  dad bod to Texas State.  Please respect my decision.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

well. fuck.

i've been successfully scared away from attending the game saturday. may have 2 tickets i'll probably just give away. 

FUCK. we're fully vaccinated, but no booster yet... and we're scheduled for a USVI trip and will have to test before departure in two weeks.

if i could be confident even 75% of attendees would be vaccinated we'd still go. but Lobo's terrifying description a few days ago did me in. gotdammit. 😡💔😢🤘

Edited by mchookem
fucking emphatic
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well. fuck.

i've been successfully scared away from attending the game saturday. may have 2 tickets i'll probably just give away. 

FUCK. we're fully vaccinated, but no booster yet... and we're scheduled for a USVI trip and will have to test before departure in two weeks.

if i could be confident even 75% of attendees would be vaccinated we'd still go. but Lobo's terrifying description a few days ago did me in. gotdammit. 😡💔😢🤘

Lobo scoring cheap game tickets after his posts:

Laugh Laughing GIF by SWR3

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well. fuck.

Was a simple logistical suggestion.  Here's some shit you can to do save time, avoid the shitty/slow gates, and have a great time.  As usual, I know, I know...my "tone."  Plus I posted that shit like ten days ago.  Y'all have the knack for old shit and "tone" lectures of middle aged women.  As such, you are in a co-morbidity demographic ;) 

Pandemic or no pandemic, there's some shitty gates where you'll be standing in a throng of sweaty middle-aged fatties for 20 minutes.  Avoid it, don't avoid it---I quit giving a fuck long ago.  I get to parachute to my seats so I'm good either way.  But seriously, the heat index is gonna do more people in than anything else.  That, and alcohol poisoning.  There's 18,000 underclassmen that have never been to a Longhorn football game (2020 seat restrictions for last year's incomers, plus all the new freshmen) .  Plus 3:30p kickoff, we all gotta pace ourselves.  Gonna be a wild scene.  

24 minutes ago, mchookem said:

well. fuck.

Me too. Wife is pregnant (she already had her booster) and kids too young to vaccinate. Not taking the chance I pick it up/spread it to any of my kids. Gonna eat my tickets I guess. 

• Like 1

Extremely close to zero.  That's why I'm going, but using my personal freedoms to not stand for long periods of time in an unventilated tunnel on the West side of the stadium while 100,000 people who forgot how to enter/exit football stadiums in the last 20 months, with some gates still under construction, figure it all out.  I just don't like being packed in with people on hot days is all, Covid-19 aside.  

well. fuck.
if i could be confident even 75% of attendees would be vaccinated we'd still go. but Lobo's terrifying description a few days ago did me in. gotdammit.

This is why you never read a full lobo post
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I dunno, his mom said I pretty much  finish up right on time.  

This morning----Former FDA head, now on Pfizer Board of Directors, now indicates he believes strongly 5-11 vaccination deployment will begin in December with final tranche of clinical trials having concluded last week (obviously two months to pour over data and peer review and then a month or so of emergency use authorization steps from blinded approval board).  Like many of you have indicated, you'll rush to take your 10 or 11 year old to get it.  But I gotta admit, it's gonna give us some hand-ringing with regard to our 6 year old.  AHHH!

50 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Extremely close to zero.  That's why I'm going, but using my personal freedoms to not stand for long periods of time in an unventilated tunnel on the West side of the stadium while 100,000 people who forgot how to enter/exit football stadiums in the last 20 months, with some gates still under construction, figure it all out.  I just don't like being packed in with people on hot days is all, Covid-19 aside.  

I took my kid to Rangers game yesterday.   Zero masks but it wasn't jam packed and concourses were wide open compared to a Texas game.  Especially the old ass cramped bathrooms at DKR.  I'm not going to horns game primarily because heat (planned to go with family and let them them enjoy pregame then leave for hotel while I went to game but we won't even be able to enjoy pregame/tailgate 45 mins with a 2 and 4 year old with that forecast) but if I did I would probably mask it when not at my seats at least until I get a booster.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

As usual, I know, I know...my "tone."  Plus I posted that shit like ten days ago.  Y'all have the knack for old shit and "tone" lectures of middle aged women.  As such, you are in a co-morbidity demographic ;) 

...and?

2BC91299-4F82-4CF1-BD70-6E7111221069.thumb.jpeg.ac9ea5ab0f0cee9dbcf7d234279e6b32.jpeg.23a4d11ea6b4a3c7e0aa498b126cdbe9.jpeg

Edited by mchookem
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I'm used to it.  Raised in a household of 4 women, 2 of whom were middle aged, for most of my childhood.  Now sharing a household with 3 women 

Although we all love each other, all my life has been somebody remembering something obscure I said 5 years ago or somebody calling out my tone 5 minutes ago.  That's probably why I'm drawn to surlyhorns ;)   We seek what feels familiar.  

2 hours ago, midtown said:

To each their own risk assessment but damn.  Attending an outdoor event?  Aren't the odds of transmission pretty much zero?

We spend a lot/most of the time in the East Side Club on hot days. Maybe if the forecast was for 20 degrees cooler and we could be in the stands without heat stroking out. Also; did I mention my wife is pregnant (rhetorical, I did)?