COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

1 minute ago, Sbbruin said:

My rheumatologist indicated that the antibody testing was a very inexact science and not a good predictor of efficacy. 

My GP said the same thing. But it is a good indicator the vaccine is still on the job.

there’s also a theory that the reason for breakthrough infections of Delta is simply due to the enormous viral load overwhelming antibodies, and that the reason most of those breakthroughs are not serious is that T-cells and other components kick in and defeat it after the initial overwhelming. 

A corollary theory to that is that higher total antibodies might mean less chance of breakthrough.  

Just theories though

22 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Which re-raises my question.  There is an annual "variant" of the flu every year.  That is, the flu vaccine is different from one year to the next in terms of the exact virus it targets, but there's not a whole FDA approval process for each year's version.  So....how does that work, and could the COVID vaccine follow a similar path -- that is, it can be adjusted for new variants without having to do the whole long-term new approval process?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4947948/

Annual update of seasonal influenza vaccines

To maintain effectiveness, the composition of seasonal influenza vaccines must be reviewed and updated periodically to include the most current HA antigens expressed by circulating influenza wild‐type viruses. This is a complex, lengthy process that requires extensive collaboration among influenza manufacturers, vaccine regulators, and global public health laboratories. The process begins with the recommendations, coordinated globally by the World Health Organization (WHO), for the virus strains to be included in the vaccine.4 The WHO recommendations for the Northern Hemisphere, which are based on recent global surveillance data available each February, provide a guide to national public health authorities and vaccine manufacturers for the development and production of influenza vaccines for the following winter influenza season. However, as noted in the WHO recommendations, it is the responsibility of each national regulatory authority to approve the composition and formulation of the vaccines used in that country. Each year, soon after the WHO Northern Hemisphere vaccine recommendations are finalized, the FDA convenes its Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC), typically in late February or early March, to recommend the virus strains that should be included in FDA‐licensed influenza vaccines for the next winter influenza season in the United States.

In the United States, licensed influenza vaccine manufacturers must submit a supplement to their license for review and obtain FDA approval before the updated version of the influenza vaccine containing new virus antigens can be distributed. Such supplements to inactivated and recombinant protein seasonal influenza vaccines do not require additional clinical data specific for the new strain. Supplements to the licensed live influenza virus vaccine require a study in approximately 300 adults prior to approval of the new strain to verify adequate attenuation. Manufacturing of influenza vaccine takes place over an approximately 6‐month time frame beginning prior to the VRBPAC strain selection and lasting until mid‐summer, when the trivalent or quadrivalent vaccine is formulated, filled, and distributed. The manufacturing timelines are tight and the process of producing influenza vaccine involves many sequential steps and overlapping processes. Even with technologic advancements, each of these steps and processes still requires time to complete, and there is limited flexibility in the timelines for manufacturing. A schematic diagram of the process and key steps is shown in Figure Figure11.

Personally, I think it is risky with an mRNA vaccine. The new vaccine target could cause unforeseen problems like myocarditis and death. But, I do not like how the FDA handles diseases like COVID. If you wanted to select for better COVID strains, you would target a portion of a single variable gene in COVID. If you want to eradicate the disease, you would target multiple genes so the virus would have to mutate in multiple spots to remain viable. The FDA process makes targeting multiple genes difficult, however.

1 hour ago, fluff said:
  Vaccine Last Shot  
Fluff Moderna March  1154
TexEx15 Moderna February 994
KaiserSoze Moderna January 978
JesusSweatDuck Wife Moderna April 1290
Babysdaddy Pfizer March 714
Liquor and Poker Pfizer February 587

Thought I would see if there are any trends here...Let me know if I missed anyone and I will add them.

Moderna/March/2115

1 hour ago, fluff said:
  Vaccine Last Shot  
Fluff Moderna March  1154
TexEx15 Moderna February 994
KaiserSoze Moderna January 978
JesusSweatDuck Wife Moderna April 1290
Babysdaddy Pfizer March 714
Liquor and Poker Pfizer February 587

Thought I would see if there are any trends here...Let me know if I missed anyone and I will add them.

Ha!  I was doing the same thing but plotting it, then got sidetracked. Here's the data that includes conViNCEd and L&P's update on his own numbers (which seriously skews the Pfizer data and makes it impossible to plot a trendline).

image.png.23e94b83fedcef87221d62d3452cb7a9.png

43 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if a higher than average antibody count would hint at a successfully fought off exposure/infection that triggered the war machine. 

As part of this study they also test you for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies... I had none (which aligns with me not having been sick). 

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Ha!  I was doing the same thing but plotting it, then got sidetracked. Here's the data that includes conViNCEd and L&P's update on his own numbers (which seriously skews the Pfizer data and makes it impossible to plot a trendline).

image.png.23e94b83fedcef87221d62d3452cb7a9.png

Awesome, I will let you take it from here!!  Good stuff!

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

what the fuck GIF

Most companies can't pay an invoice within thirty days. A 95 day timeline is incredible. 

I'm just looking at the original timeline the vaccines were developed:

Jan 11th - Genetic sequence of virus is released publicly

Feb 24th - Moderna sends vaccine to NIH for testing

March 16th - First volunteer gets the shot

That is 65 days. I know there's probably some manufacturing challenges that would need to be addressed, but it also seems like you wouldn't need to have as much time waiting on testing for a fully approved vaccine. 

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

Most companies can't pay an invoice within thirty days. A 95 day timeline is incredible. 

It is, but then FDA/CDC/etc. are all prioritizing anything related to that, and throwing money at the pharmas to get it done.

And covid-19 has been studied extensively at this point.  

10 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

That chart needs to have time relativity.  My levels are 5 months post 2nd shot

All levels are "current."  The point is to note that the numbers are likely to be higher, the more recent the second shot.  It should decline, the further away in the past the second shot was.  And the data bears that out, aside from L&P's crazy outlier.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I've been on Tigerdroppings a bit lately as we play them on 9/4.  They are losing their marbles over LSU's decision to mandate vaccines or negative tests to attend a game at Tiger Stadium.  

But how hard is it really to fake a vaccine card?

And who is really going to check them when being bum rushed by a billion mouth breathers at the gate?

12 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Also, anyone laminating or putting their card in any sort of case? Seems like carrying that thing around and whipping it out on the reg will do it in quickly.

I made a two-sided color photocopy of mine, which I laminated and keep in my wallet.  The original stays at home with my (other) passport.

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Also, anyone laminating or putting their card in any sort of case? Seems like carrying that thing around and whipping it out on the reg will do it in quickly.

take a picture of it and save on your phone. that's what I was told and have done.

10 minutes ago, dcbc said:

How long did it take from blood draw to your getting the results?

Blood draw yesterday around lunch and results this morning.  If you have not already done so register your account on the CPL website.  Text response is a simple positive or negative.  Details including antibody number are on the web.

• Hook 'Em 2

Got my antibody test back. Pfizer. Second shot on 01/19/2021. Third shot 08/17/2021. Tested on 08/23/2021.

Out of Range. >2,500. Outlier because of booster. But I will be able to track it over the next 6 months. No prior COVID infection.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Got my antibody test back. Pfizer. Second shot on 01/19/2021. Third shot 08/17/2021. Tested on 08/23/2021.

Out of Range. >2,500. Outlier because of booster. But I will be able to track it over the next 6 months. No prior COVID infection.

Nice. Think I will go this weekend and get my 1st Pfizer. Wink wink. 
Seriously though do pharmacies have both and they ask you or do you have to research where your previous is being administered?

4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

I've spent most of my career training our customers that they either pay now or fuck off.  We're not a bank.  I suspect the companies that still insist on paying you when they feel like it are run by mouth breathing aggies with horse paste in their veins.  Get with the times or die on a ventilator.  We've managed to drag a few of the big boys into the modern era, to the chagrin of their accounting departments.

31 minutes ago, dcbc said:

So the third shot doesn’t have the two-week lagtime before it starts working?

21 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Nice. Think I will go this weekend and get my 1st Pfizer. Wink wink. 
Seriously though do pharmacies have both and they ask you or do you have to research where your previous is being administered?

I finally convinced a family member to get the vaccine. They used CVS and the options were J&J or Moderna. Pfizer wasn't an option for them

This was north DFW fyi

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Thank God! 

Just got a text from wife saying my Florida sister got her 1st vax today. 
Me and my other sis have been working on her for awhile about it. Last week I texted “God made the scientists who made the vax” 

I was never clear if it was religious or trump views for her reasons but I don’t care. Will keep slightly hounding her so hopefully she gets 2nd. 

By the way I am agnostic so me saying that is just to appease the religious 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1