COVID-19 vaccine discussion

Texas Jeff

16 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Assuming you got your second shot at least 6 months ago . . .

1.  Go to CVS.com. 

2.  Make an appointment. 

3.  Click Yes when it asks you if you are immune compromised

4.  Go to CVS and get your booster shot (take your card with you)

5.  ?????

6.  Profit

/edit.  I'm sure Walgreen's is similar.  I just happened to use CVS this time.

Yep, so I just came from my rheumatologist's office, as I needed a blood test and he has a facility there.  I saw him and asked, and he said, yes, you can.  BUT, he had 2 qualifiers- he thinks I should wait until I'm closer to 8 months (currently less than 6), and that I should try to time it as close to the mid point between infusions so that neither the remicade nor the vaccine are blunted by the other.  Next infusion is in 2 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 5

As of today, 199.88M Americans have received at least one dose (72.5% of adults). We'll finally pass the 200M mark tomorrow. 169.6M are fully vaccinated (62.1%)

Top 5 (1+ dose over age 18): HI 86.4%, VT 86.1%, MA 85.9%, CT 84.1%, NJ 81.6%

Texas: 68.3%

Bottom 5: WY 54.1%, MS 54.8%, WV 55.4%, ID 56.9%, AL 57.7%

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Storm the Field said:

As of today, 199.88M Americans have received at least one dose (72.5% of adults). We'll finally pass the 200M mark tomorrow. 169.6M are fully vaccinated (62.1%)

Well, shit.  Maybe Delta is scaring the stragglers into getting the shot.  I like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

On the other hand, maybe a large part of those are "boosters".

All of the olds in my family who were vaccinated early got a booster in the last week.  You also have the parents who are getting their slightly less than 12 y.o. kids poked before sending them into the shitstorm at school.

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

On the other hand, maybe a large part of those are "boosters".

I thought those wouldn't be lumped into the main vaccine count until 20 September?  The ones taking place right for emergency use in immuno-compromised, et. al. are boosters but aren't in the main count.  Somebody here can weigh in?  But that's a good question.  

I feel, anecdotally from being in a blue neighborhood in a red region of town in a blue city in a red state...that lots of people are quietly getting the vaccine now since the whole feeling cool not getting fad has kinda blown over.  But they're not advertising it openly.  I'm cool with either people finally crumbling and going to get it or dying of it.  Except that it's already fucked up the school semester for kids.

Oxford pre-print just came out comparing vaccine effectiveness for Pfizer and AstraZeneca compared with unvaccinated, previously infected in the UK. The data runs through August 1, so it gets both Alpha and Delta. 

2-dose Pfizer provides superior protection to a recovered natural infection for either Alpha, or Delta. 

There was no evidence that the effectiveness of two ChAdOx1 vaccinations ≥ 14 days previously in preventing new PCR-positives differed from the protection afforded by previous natural infection without vaccination (heterogeneity p=0.33), whereas two BNT162b2 vaccinations afforded greater protection (p=0.04).

1453369783_ScreenShot2021-08-19at12_49_36PM.thumb.png.e13937cd4b29eeb63db1ba2bab93a6bb.png

https://www.ndm.ox.ac.uk/files/coronavirus/covid-19-infection-survey/finalfinalcombinedve20210816.pdf

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

There was a CDC study a couple weeks ago that addressed this with the (limited) data that we've collected so far, here's the high points:

What is already known about this topic?

Reinfection with human coronaviruses, including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has been documented. Currently, limited evidence concerning the protection afforded by vaccination against reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 is available.

What is added by this report?

Among Kentucky residents infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020, vaccination status of those reinfected during May–June 2021 was compared with that of residents who were not reinfected. In this case-control study, being unvaccinated was associated with 2.34 times the odds of reinfection compared with being fully vaccinated.

What are the implications for public health practice?

To reduce their likelihood for future infection, all eligible persons should be offered COVID-19 vaccine, even those with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection.

For Dark Mode

Spoiler

There was a CDC study a couple weeks ago that addressed this with the (limited) data that we've collected so far, here's the high points:

Reinfection with human coronaviruses, including SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, has been documented. Currently, limited evidence concerning the protection afforded by vaccination against reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 is available.

Among Kentucky residents infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020, vaccination status of those reinfected during May–June 2021 was compared with that of residents who were not reinfected. In this case-control study, being unvaccinated was associated with 2.34 times the odds of reinfection compared with being fully vaccinated.

To reduce their likelihood for future infection, all eligible persons should be offered COVID-19 vaccine, even those with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection.

• Hook 'Em 2

Got my third Pfizer this morning. Heb south Congress. Lots of questions about how I was affected by the first two. Did I talk to my doctor about the third? Have I been exposed to a positive case recently? I think I just happened to get the most thorough person ever which is fine. Don’t need more than three chips in my arm. Yet.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

The rest are just mostly “yea I’m going to get it And will probably get around to it here soon” lazy ass procrastinating twats.\

These are the dudes that are woken up by their wives yelling that the garbage truck is down the street, and so they haul ass around the house grabbing all of the garbage bags, and throwing them in the dumpster and haul ass down the driveway in nothing but boxers, leaving a trail of garbage in their wake.

They do this every week.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, you missed out on the joys of a chicken pox party, and the complimentary Star Wars or G I Joe action figure your parents gave you when you got sick.

I didn’t miss shit and I’ve got a chicken pox scar right above the bridge of my nose to show for it. Late gen X. 

the person he was referring to in his post was mid 30s. 

Damn, just got a call from my daughter's school saying she has been in close contact with a kid who tested positive.  They wanted to confirm she was vaccinated (she is), which keeps her from having to quarantine.  When I asked how close was "close contact" it was the kid sitting right in front of her in one of her classes.  She needs to get tested in 3-5 days to she if she got the 'rona.  And if she got it, I probably got it, despite the vaccine.  Been nice knowin' y'all.

24 minutes ago, 4th_and_18 said:

Got my third Pfizer this morning. Heb south Congress. Lots of questions about how I was affected by the first two. Did I talk to my doctor about the third? Have I been exposed to a positive case recently? I think I just happened to get the most thorough person ever which is fine. Don’t need more than three chips in my arm. Yet.

with 3 chips, you may be able to pick up radio broadcasts like Gilligan could

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Damn, just got a call from my daughter's school saying she has been in close contact with a kid who tested positive.  They wanted to confirm she was vaccinated (she is), which keeps her from having to quarantine.  When I asked how close was "close contact" it was the kid sitting right in front of her in one of her classes.  She needs to get tested in 3-5 days to she if she got the 'rona.  And if she got it, I probably got it, despite the vaccine.  Been nice knowin' y'all.

Is your boat spoken for and can I put in at lake Georgetown?

• Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

sorry, but I'm getting a Viking funeral and having the wife set it ablaze with my corpse on it.

spacer.png

You're counting on your wife?  She'll pay for a $500 cremation with your remains returned in a cardboard box, so as not to take time or money away from her doing the nasty with Ricardo, your boat maintenance guy, below deck before she sells the boat to use the money on getaway weekends with Ricardo.

Your wife really has a thing for Ricardo, by the way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

You also have the parents who are getting their slightly less than 12 y.o. kids poked before sending them into the shitstorm at school.

Fwiw, Austin Public Health is pretty no questions asked if you've got a kiddo that seems remotely passable for 12. A friend of a friend of a friend told me. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow, you missed out on the joys of a chicken pox party, and the complimentary Star Wars or G I Joe action figure your parents gave you when you got sick.

No chicken pox party for me but I did catch it when I was a teenager. Laid on the couch watching the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie on VHS multiple times.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Reaction GIF

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

These are the dudes that are woken up by their wives yelling that the garbage truck is down the street, and so they haul ass around the house grabbing all of the garbage bags, and throwing them in the dumpster and haul ass down the driveway in nothing but boxers, leaving a trail of garbage in their wake.

They do this every week.

Hi, neighbor!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

I've had two tangential contacts (people whose spouses have tested positive) in the last four days.  The first one just tested negative.  Still waiting on the second.  But since I'm vaccinated, I'm still required to work at the office (and because I'm not a dirt bag, I stay in my office).  But the vaccines do work (so far) and now I got that turbo pfizer, which can't kick in soon enough.  You ain't dead yet.

Also, for information purposes.  Side effects of the Third Pfizer Shot (anecdote follows):

After the 2nd Shot:  Immediate sore arm.  Lasted a while.  8 hours after shot number two, I felt like I got hit by a truck.  Woke up in the middle of the night with full body aches and fever.  The fever broke with OTC medicine and the aches lasted about 12 hours and I felt mostly better the following day.

After the 3rd Shot:  Immediate sore arm, but not as bad.  Pretty much gone by the next day.  26 hours after shot number three, I had some moderate, generalized body ache and a bit of an off feeling.  No fever.  Took some tylenol, went to bed early and woke up about seven hours later feeling 100%.  Even went for a three mile walk before work. 

My @Brisketexan not a doctor but no stranger to the rubber glove on one hand conclusion is that the first shot primes you, so the second shot hits harder.  I was about 7 months out from my second shot when I got my third.  So the reaction came on slower and didn't last as long.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just talked to my 80 year old mother.

"You may want to go get the booster. It's been six months since your last shot."

"I think I'm going to pass. I was reading something from some doctor on the internet about hydroxychloroquine. The media just downplayed it because of Trump."

Fuck!

"Your estate is in order?"

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They do this every week.

Hey fuck you man I got vaxed in March but I still forget the garbage 

21 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Got my 3rd Moderna shot today from a nearby Walgreens. My 2nd dose was late January. I’m technically immunocompromised due to an autoimmune condition and due to the immunosuppressant I take for it, although it’s not nearly as bad as having cancer or an organ transplant. I’m also a physician and see ~140 people a week, many of whom are elderly and many of whom are undoubtedly unvaccinated, so I figured it was a good time to get the 3rd shot and hopefully reduce my chances of getting or spreading Delta.

There were 4 other people there, all getting their first shot. It made me somewhat happy to see there is still a small trickle of people choosing the vaccine.

I wonder if part of the September 20 date for boosters was chosen to allow unvaccinated people ~1 month to finally get 1st and 2nd doses before there is a new rush of already vaccinated people getting 3rd doses.

How effective is the vaccine while on immune suppressing drugs? My wife just had her 3rd shot and has had zero side effects from all 3 shots. I know the first two she quit taking the drugs for a week but dont think she did for the 3rd.

Edited by rpspeed

13 hours ago, scottsins said:

Quick note that no one may actually benefit from:

If you know of anyone in the Centex area who lacks legal documentation for their presence in the US, who is hesitant to go get a shot for immigration reasons, please PM me.

I can get them dosed up no questions asked. My wife will put a shot in anyone’s arm even without any ID/verification (except kids that may be too young).

PM incoming.  Our Mexico-Texas business collaboration group (ironically supported vehemently by Gov. Abbott way back when) could use your help.  

20 hours ago, Captainant said:

There was a CDC study a couple weeks ago that addressed this with the (limited) data that we've collected so far, here's the high points:

Among Kentucky residents infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020, vaccination status of those reinfected during May–June 2021 was compared with that of residents who were not reinfected. In this case-control study, being unvaccinated was associated with 2.34 times the odds of reinfection compared with being fully vaccinated.

While I appreciate this, it doesn't really answer the question.  To boil it down, there are a large group of people who say "I already had Covid.  It wasn't a big deal."  I work with one.

The study you link is about reinfection.  They aren't really worried about reinfection, because they've "been there, done that."

All I'm wondering is if there are studies that show that the 2nd infection is worse than the 1st infection.  If you weren't hospitalized the first time, what are the odds you will hospitalized the second time?  

7 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

While I appreciate this, it doesn't really answer the question.  To boil it down, there are a large group of people who say "I already had Covid.  It wasn't a big deal."  I work with one.

The study you link is about reinfection.  They aren't really worried about reinfection, because they've "been there, done that."

All I'm wondering is if there are studies that show that the 2nd infection is worse than the 1st infection.  If you weren't hospitalized the first time, what are the odds you will hospitalized the second time?  

I don't know how to convince people that just because they weren't impacted by a risk, the risk still exists. It sounds like they are just toddler-ing and digging their heels in because FAUCI OUCHIE BAD! It's like trying to convince a shitty teenager that they should wear their seatbelt when "I'm a safe driver! Why do *I* have to use one??"

All I know to say is that if you're unvaxxed, you are more likely to be hospitalized from COVID, and are less protected against COVID infection, and are more likely to pass it along to someone else. The current strain is more infectious than the alpha strain, and it just doesn't seem wise to intentionally refuse reducing your personal risk of hospitalization - vaxxed is a 2.3X improvement in odds from even getting infected, much less all the complications including hospitalization. 

If that's not a good enough reason to get vaxxed, then nothing will convince them. Until one of them gets seriously ill and is visited by saint gritty

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Surprised the states with poor education rank at the bottom. 

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Every time you fly on an airplane, your risk of dying by plane crash is the same. It doesn’t matter how many or how few previous flights you’ve taken that were no big deal.  Assuming a base standard of commercial air travel, of course. Odds will differ based on carrier/plane/region or whatever, but not based on personal previous flight history. 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Every time you fly on an airplane, your risk of dying by plane crash is the same. It doesn’t matter how many or how few previous flights you’ve taken that were no big deal.  Assuming a base standard of commercial air travel, of course. Odds will differ based on carrier/plane/region or whatever, but not based on personal previous flight history. 

What???