• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

32 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Tony Elliot has one year as sole OC and has never been a HC at any level. Joe Brady is similar. I don't see us even looking at those guys. Luke Fickell looks like a good coach. Tom Allen may be even better. I'd take a look at Billy Napier at Lousiana too.

You do know Tony Elliott was the play caller and guy in charge, right?

Just now, Texasrocks said:

With no head coaching experience.

Did Lincoln Riley have head coaching experience? Did Bob Stoops? Did Barry Switzer? Did Dabo? Did Kirby Smart? 

we need to get it out of our fucking heads that our coach has to have head coaching experience. We just need to hire best coaches available. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Just give me a coach smart enough to go steal OU’s offense. Good grief, Barry Switzer got the wishbone in 1970, two years after Royal implemented it.

We are now TWENTY years removed from the air raid being implemented at OU and they are still kicking our ass with variants of it. And the argument that OU hasn’t won a title has more to do with terrible defense than a dysfunctional offense.

Mack Brown is already winning more then he should with it at NC. It immediately adds 2-3 wins to a team, and perfecting it ala Riley can put you at the elite level again. Hell, even Saban and the SEC have figured out they have to really open up the offensive passing game.

We should have stolen Phil Longo away from Sam Houston St after he turned that offense into the best in FCS. That non-hire really truly pisses me off. 

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Did Lincoln Riley have head coaching experience? Did Bob Stoops? Did Barry Switzer? Did Dabo? Did Kirby Smart? 

we need to get it out of our fucking heads that our coach has to have head coaching experience. We just need to hire best coaches available. 

Based on what? For every Stoops, there is a Muschamp. HC is a different job than coordinator and as Strong and Herman have demonstrated, even a successful stint as a head coach doesn't mean they will succeed at Texas. Elliott may be the next Saban. He may be the next Malzahn. There's no way to know at this point. If you want the next Saban/Meyer, follow their pattern - success at multiple schools. I'm not sure who fits that description, but hopefully CDC does.

1 minute ago, Texasrocks said:

Based on what? For every Stoops, there is a Muschamp. HC is a different job than coordinator and as Strong and Herman have demonstrated, even a successful stint as a head coach doesn't mean they will succeed at Texas. Elliott may be the next Saban. He may be the next Malzahn. There's no way to know at this point. If you want the next Saban/Meyer, follow their pattern - success at multiple schools. I'm not sure who fits that description, but hopefully CDC does.

Every coaching hire we make outside of Urban Meyer is a risk. We have to do a good job of identifying who is the best coach. Not who is the “move the needle” “hot name” type guy. 

elliott to me seems like a really damn good coach. 

as does Fickell 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Joe Brady’s one year as a passing game coordinator while coaching a #1 draft pick qualifies him for the head coaching job at Texas?

christmas vacation GIF

Look at LSU offense before and look at Joe Burroe before Joe Brady then look at them with. Now he’s a NFL offensive coordinator. Sean Payton highly recommended him to Orgeron to bring in a offensive coach to help LSu

So with Urban being everyone's favorite to take over the helm at HC who would we like to see as OC and DC? I think Ash has done enough to stick around and I'd really love to see what Yurich could do without the turtle holding him back, but I don't see either of them being here next year though. 

I don't keep up with other teams enough to know who else would be good picks. I was pretty impressed with Jay Norvell in his brief stint as OC here but I don't see him leaving Nevada for an OC position. Flame away bitches!

Edited by Best served cold
Spelling is hard.

2 minutes ago, Best served cold said:

So with Urban being everyone's favorite to take over the helm at HC who would we like to see as OC and DC? I think Ash has done enough to stick around and I'd really love to see what Yurich could do without the turtle holding him back, but I don't see either of them being here next year though. 

I don't keep up with other teams enough to know who else would be good picks. I was pretty impressed with Jay Norvell in his brief stint as OC here but I don't see him leaving Nevada for an OC position. Flame away bitches!

I think Urban would retain him as well as Drayton as the only retained. I’m not sure on Drayton as I am Ash. 

Bring in Corey Dennis as QB coach, possibly co-oc

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Woodrow Call said:

This is like believing you have a shot at the hot chick at the bar, but when she leaves you end up leaving with the fat chick. 

"The Girls All Get Prettier At Closing Time"

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Extra Anejo said:

I’m not saying we should hire Kingsbury but it would be interesting to see what he could do when he doesn’t have to recruit to the panhandle badlands.

Why would he leave an NFL job where he has a franchise QB? Texas has less money, more pressure, less chance of success and higher expectations.

36 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Per nahlin, if Urban is a no:

Kyle

cristobal

Campbell

fickell

Edwards 

That’s who he’s go after.  Varying degrees of interest

This list is really fucking depressing considering the only exciting hire on there is the one that has a zero percent chance of happening. 

14 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I think you go for whichever of Campbell or Fickell isn’t at Michigan next year. They’d probably both take Michigan over Texas.

I like the way you think. Both Michigan and Texas would  pick the wrong one if given first choice, so we let Michigan go first and then we get the better coach. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR