• Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

42 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Is it easy to win at Arizona?

Technically yes.  With salary caps and cost of living AZ is a Mecca for athletes.  Just look at how many live & train during the off season there.

if AZ ever got good ownership and management they would have a huge upper hand.   

I would be happy if we would just interview a handful of the names listed. Interview a few of them. Ask real questions of them. As fans, we deserve a real coaching search if we don’t have UM locked up. I know our input won’t matter but after the last two hires...we deserve better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, SDG said:

Technically yes.  With salary caps and cost of living AZ is a Mecca for athletes.  Just look at how many live & train during the off season there.

if AZ ever got good ownership and management they would have a huge upper hand.   

I could totally see it.  And Phoenix is pretty close to the OC so it’s not like you’re far away from fun.   

my question was is it really easy to deal with Seattle, San Fran and  the rams?

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I could totally see it.  And Phoenix is pretty close to the OC so it’s not like you’re far away from fun.   

my question was is it really easy to deal with Seattle, San Fran and  the rams?

I can't speak about San Fran or LA, but as a lifelong Seahawks fan having good ownership goes a long ways.  When Paul A bought the team at the 11th hour, keep in mind they were moving to LA, he was all but done.  He asked football people to be football people.  That has served us well.  

• Like 1

If no UM, I’d go no further for a G5 than in San Antonio. Jeff Traylor, in his 1st season at UTSA, has the ‘Runners into a winning season. They only lost to BYU, in Provo, 27-20. Look at how BYU “wood shedded” every other team this year!

While Traylor was at UT, he was brought on for “recruiting” and placed as the TE coach, which has vastly been under utilized since Mack’s early years. He wasn’t retained with the TH hire and that was a mistake- IMO.

A Traylor hire will immediately help with in-state recruiting. He already has a staff at UTSA full of UT connections. Just matching TH salary would be enough and not “break the bank”!

Traylor is our best option, if/after Urban Meyer says NO!

1 minute ago, msucolt45 said:

If no UM, I’d go no further for a G5 than in San Antonio. Jeff Traylor, in his 1st season at UTSA, has the ‘Runners into a winning season. They only lost to BYU, in Provo, 27-20. Look at how BYU “wood shedded” every other team this year!

While Traylor was at UT, he was brought on for “recruiting” and placed as the TE coach, which has vastly been under utilized since Mack’s early years. He wasn’t retained with the TH hire and that was a mistake- IMO.

A Traylor hire will immediately help with in-state recruiting. He already has a staff at UTSA full of UT connections. Just matching TH salary would be enough and not “break the bank”!

Hell. No. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, msucolt45 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if they hired Traylor. Fuck it. I wouldn't be overjoyed, but I also wouldn't have this sense of "we're back" either. I'd just be there for the ride and see how it goes. It he fails it wouldn't be a shock, if he wins hell yeah we hit the lotto. 

4 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

B910D940-8FC9-4803-BFC3-0FD953B7EC3C.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Taylor stans doing work in this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Sounds crazy but It. Just. Might. Work.  

If it ended up being Jeff Traylor, I’d go no further than Gary Joseph for DC. He’s been the current Katy HC for a decade plus, but there isn’t a coach in the state of Texas that can be better, schematically, than him for today’s spread offenses - hello B12.

Seriously, even without “better athletes”, his defensive players are rarely out of position and they make open-field tackles! Katy HS basically sees the best in what Texas has to offer, year in and year out, through the playoffs, and his defense is the main reason that they are always near the top.

It’s about being in position to make the play defensively! How many times did ISU find a slow/big TE open yesterday for a big gain? That is scheme and putting players into position to stop that.

Can we just call a temp agency?  A one year with a contractually required parting after the season regardless of results and then just keep bringing in a new one each year for the next few years.   We'd probably get the same results we've had for the last decade at a much cheaper price.  At some point the next Saban/Meyer/Swinney will emerge and we'll be ready when he does.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

If it ended up being Jeff Traylor, I’d go no further than Gary Joseph for DC. He’s been the current Katy HC for a decade plus, but there isn’t a coach in the state of Texas that can be better, schematically, than him for today’s spread offenses - hello B12.

Seriously, even without “better athletes”, his defensive players are rarely out of position and they make open-field tackles! Katy HS basically sees the best in what Texas has to offer, year in and year out, through the playoffs, and his defense is the main reason that they are always near the top.

It’s about being in position to make the play defensively! How many times did ISU find a slow/big TE open yesterday for a big gain? That is scheme and putting players into position to stop that.

Be interesting.  Coaching is coaching. However, lots of folks here though are demanding royalty.  

The “spread” was basically created in Texas HS football or utilized to fruition prior to anyone else, to include the college level.

Joseph has been involved in “stopping” the spread since its inception, so what do I know?
Do we get to tell all the high schools that feed us what defense to run so most of the recruits are already familiar with their defensive responsibility when they get here?
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If not Urban, I'll take a dick punch for Lane Kiffin. Dude is a witch on the recruiting trail and knows offense. He's a skeezy motherfucker, but whatever. I'd still take Fickell over him, but I wouldn't be mad if we said Kiffin is the new corch. 

So you’re cool with us losing at an even higher rate 

Matt Campbell is my choice of actual realistic options.

The last thing I want is another gimmick coach to talk about the 5 core values or piss charts or eating runny eggs for a bad practice. Give me a smart coach that understands Xs and Os and demands accountability, not via gimmicks, but via leadership and consequences. If we get that, combined with our resources and brand, the rest will fall into place.

To me Campbell seems to be easily the best option based on what I'm looking for. He's not a G5 superstar nor was he a flash in the pan carried by a superstar QB like Bridgewater. He's just reliably and consistently improved Iowa State year-over and moved them out of bottom feeder tier into respectable tier. Iowa State.

Not sexy but I think Campbell puts us in the CCG almost annually as a floor.

• Hook 'Em 1

You swing for the fences with Meyer and/or Shanahan. If those fail. We would do good with Campbell. He has also proved he can beat Oklahoma with bunch 2/3 stars. We have to get rid of the guy thats here 1st. 1st year in about 40 that I have watched less than three games. Call me when that douche is gone. Cristoval, Edwards, Brady, Traylor. Really!!

Outside of Joe Brady and the Shanahan/Rhule pipedreams, any good NFL options out there? Preferably someone with at least some college experience. Not a huge Bieniemy fan bc that's Reid's offense plus Mahomes. 

In all seriousness, I do think you at least put in a call with Rhule. See if he doesn't like the NFL as much as he hoped and wants to come back to college already. Highly unlikely but why not try. I also like Brady and you could likely get him relatively cheap and throw a ton of money at DC and other assistants.

23 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Outside of Joe Brady and the Shanahan/Rhule pipedreams, any good NFL options out there? Preferably someone with at least some college experience. Not a huge Bieniemy fan bc that's Reid's offense plus Mahomes. 

In all seriousness, I do think you at least put in a call with Rhule. See if he doesn't like the NFL as much as he hoped and wants to come back to college already. Highly unlikely but why not try. I also like Brady and you could likely get him relatively cheap and throw a ton of money at DC and other assistants.

Brady will be an NFL HC in the next 2 years. He’s not very interested in college, and he certainly wouldn’t come cheap. 

16 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

He basically built the penn state team that Franklin took over. 

O’Brien didn’t build shit. He was there two years and then bolted. Franklin built it himself (and is now tearing it down). 

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Even though his Texans firing was way overdue, Bill O'Brien may actually be a decent option for the college ranks. Flame away but the NFL is a different animal (ask Saban)

This is a truly horrible idea. I’m not sure it’s possible to top this. 

15 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Y'all wanting all these young guys with hardly any experience are asking for Strong level disaster. If the Urban deal can't be done might as well just keep rolling with dip shit Herman. 

Nevermind. It’s been topped. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR