• Franklin
    • Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

Nope - TH has got to go! Just looking at having the 4th Qtr lead, by 4 points and roughly 3:38 left to play, after ISU punted to us, the game is on the line!

I’ve officiated junior high games that would’ve been managed better than: 1st-run for 4-5 yards and about25-30 sec taken off the clock, then both 2nd and 3rd incomplete passes! Literally 30 seconds taken off and NOT forcing ISU to use one time out! Poor, poor, job right there!

(2nd was a deep pass, over the middle, into coverage that was lucky to not have an INT there!). After that brain fart, you’d think, we’ll at least run it on third - Nope, a throw to a contested receiver that might not have made a first, even if caught!

IMO - that was where the game was lost. The two forth down plays we’re schematically a bust at the onset!

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Brady will be an NFL HC in the next 2 years. He’s not very interested in college, and he certainly wouldn’t come cheap. 

O’Brien didn’t build shit. He was there one year and then bolted. Franklin built it himself (and is now tearing it down). 

This is a truly horrible idea. I’m not sure it’s possible to top this. 

Nevermind. It’s been topped. 

This is Brady's first year as an NFL OC and NFL teams won't care nearly as much about LSU. He's not in contention for NFL HC yet. And I'd guess he's making $1-2mm per year now and we could give him double or triple easily if we wanted. But I do agree that he wants to be in the nfl.

BOB spent two years at psu. Both years his record was better than either of Franklin's first 2 years there, so if anything Franklin caused a step back before improving. To be clear, I'm not saying BOB is a top choice but he's not as bad as most of our initial reactions (my own initial reaction included)

23 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Seriously, what the hell are you people talking about with this O’Brien nonsense? He went 8-4 then 7-5 against laughably easy schedules. He wasn’t good then and he’s worse now. 

He was the coach that took over at the height of the scandal. He recruited well given that and put the foundation in place that Franklin took over. 

im not saying hire him here at all, fuck that but the facts of him being at penn state are there

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I know it’s the purpose of the thread but all these suggestions are a beating.  God I hope CDC is not as stupid as the average poster here. 

This thread is massively reinforcing my belief that Meyer is the only target

43 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I know it’s the purpose of the thread but all these suggestions are a beating.  God I hope CDC is not as stupid as the average poster here. 

CDC isn't stupid, though his choice on the head coach position could alter that opinion. People are sick of Herman, and the lack of viable candidates(other than UM) to replace him has Surly cackling nonsensical bullshit at peak levels. 

This is Brady's first year as an NFL OC and NFL teams won't care nearly as much about LSU. He's not in contention for NFL HC yet. And I'd guess he's making $1-2mm per year now and we could give him double or triple easily if we wanted. But I do agree that he wants to be in the nfl.
BOB spent two years at psu. Both years his record was better than either of Franklin's first 2 years there, so if anything Franklin caused a step back before improving. To be clear, I'm not saying BOB is a top choice but he's not as bad as most of our initial reactions (my own initial reaction included)
Brady will be an NFL HC by the season after next. Sean Payton student who then succeeded at every level on his own and is an offensive wizard. He'll be able to write his own check. He is not coming to Texas. Zero chance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Per nahlin, if Urban is a no:

Kyle

cristobal

Campbell

fickell

Edwards 

That’s who he’s go after.  Varying degrees of interest

(Eric Nahlin) Scenario 3 Hot Board: Names that Make Sense for Texas

This post is speculative and has nothing to do with Scenario #1. There is no need to affix your National Treasure bifocals as readers. We know Scenario #2 is off the table, so it’s at least worth our time to glance at Scenario #3, a search that doesn’t involve Urban Meyer. Here’s my personal list.

1. Kyle Shanahan: I’ve met many of you. I’ve also met many of your wives. One thing that always sticks out to me is outkicking your coverage is a real phenomena. To be on the positive side of this bargain, that is to say being the lesser attractive mate, takes timing and vulnerability. All you have to do is present yourself as tolerable. For these reasons it’s worth Texas at least making a pass at the 49ers head coach. It’s conceivable the quarterback and ownership situation in Santa Clara could give him something to think about. He’s a top-three offensive mind in all of football. At a minimum he can be Bryan Harsin on steroids from a scheme/play-call standpoint. But if he’s outfitted with his ideal personnel, he can match Lincoln Riley on the college game.

Cons: Doesn’t want to recruit and therefore has little to no interest in the college game. It would take an Urban Meyer sized contract to get him to pick up the phone, and that still might not be enough. But while the cash is organized you might as well make a pass. Full disclosure: I outkicked my coverage. This must be acknowledged, just like Shanahan’s overall win-loss record.

2. Mario Cristobal, Oregon: I don’t care that he lost to Oregon State last night. I realize to be palatable to the Texas internet a coach has to at least won his most recent game, but being undefeated in his career is preferable.

He built FIU up to respectable levels and probably was released too quickly. He has ‘big atmosphere’ experience having coached at Bama. He’d fix offensive line issues as quickly as could be reasonably expected. He recruits well and would recruit extremely well at Texas in the NLI era. He makes great hires — a fine mix of great coaches and recruiting ability. The two times I watched Oregon this year I couldn’t help but think what the Texas personnel would look like, especially Hudson Card and Bijan Robinson.

Texas could triple his salary if it wanted or needed to. He’s still ascending as a coach. That can be good or bad, but he’s certainly not fully formed. He could either bring Avalos or keep Ash and that’s probably a win/win. You‘d definitely want him to bring Joe Moorhead.

3. Matt Campbell, Iowa State: It’s frustrating talking about Campbell because you have to start off explaining the ISU job is one of the most difficult in the nation. You can certainly not want Campbell, to each their own, but you have to at least apply the context of how incredible he’s done in Ames. He’s a player’s coach but also a coach’s coach who instills toughness. It’s not either/or. His players like him.

He evaluates extremely well, including in Texas. He’s on par with Mike Gundy or Gary Patterson at their best for applying fit to scheme. He’s also a talent maximizer. His greatest selling point — which is tangential to his ability to beat OU — is he knows the Big 12 intimately well. Under normal circumstances he sounds like a fantastic fit with Texas being the obvious next step up the career ladder.

However these aren’t normal times and I do wonder how he’d handle the external distractions that accompany Texas. I also wonder, what staff would he bring. It would be hard to tell him he can’t bring his coordinators but he definitely needs some warhorses on the recruiting trail. I firmly believe you need to hire with the current personnel in mind, provided the personnel is good enough to win with. Campbell working with Card, Bijan Robinson, and a talented cadre of tight ends is promising.

He’s also done less with more on the offensive line, and he’d certainly have less his first year. Both Campbell and my next pick pass the ‘would he win big at Ohio State’ test.

4. Luke Fickell, Cincinnati: I view him as more of an Ohio State guy than an Urban Meyer protege. He has plenty of ‘big atmosphere’ experience. After following a US Senator-elect he rebuilt Cincinnati in the image of a career accelerator like Mark Dantonio and Brian Kelly did years ago. I love what his OC, Mike Denbrock, has done with quarterback Desmond Ridder. Like watching Oregon, it’s not hard to see Hudson Card being very dangerous in that offense. But is Denbrock someone you bring? As a co-OC, sure.

Similarly, Fickell’s defensive coordinator, Marcus Freeman, appears to be quite good. Fickell’s fingerprints are on the defense, but you could co-DC Freeman with Chris Ash if Fickell wanted to. Fickell was in a co-DC role with Ash when Ohio State won the 2014 national championship. Fickell would require an exhaustive interview but having been at Ohio State for so long, he understands how imperative recruiting at an elite level is. He’d need to be committed to bringing in a quality coaching and recruiting staff, even if it hurt some feelings along the way.

5. Herm Edwards, Arizona State: I can’t belabor the need for a strong, centralizing figure and not mention the man who best fits that bill after Meyer. Gerry has me sold on the ability for this to work, and I think it can really work at Texas in the current climate. The level of success would come down to Edwards’ coordinators but he has freaking Marvin Lewis as his DC right now.

Co-defensive coordinator and linebacker coach, Antonio Pierce, is one of the best recruiters in the nation. Edwards would recruit at an extremely high level. How do you negative recruit the guy? Oh yeah, there’s one way... This would be a short term fix. He’s 66, so he’d fit in well on IT, but you’d have to be gaming a succession plan from day-one. Final note: I personally hope the new coach keeps most of the defensive staff but given a couple of names I’ve listed, that would be unlikely.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That's the 'We're Texas' mentality talking. Are we really in a position to look down our noses at Bob Stoops?

Me personally, I'd take a lotta guys, hell probably maybe even Stoops.  There's just not much out there.  I'm desperate.  

But the fanbase would explode.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

We’ll see if he can pull off the comeback against MSU but Pat Fitzgerald has built a good program at Northwestern. He’s worth a look.

While I agree the man can coach; there’s a better chance they could get Saint Coach Tom Landry (RIP) than Fitzgerald from Northwestern.  I’d be shocked if that Guy ever leaves that place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I’m all aboard the CUM train but I wonder if Kirby Smart would be an option. Buyout is huge but he could get a raise here

isn't more than half his success a highly sophisticated cheating system to recruit incredible talent? His offenses suck ass.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

From afar it looks like Fickell took a 12-1 0hio State and turned into a 6 - 7 team. The year after they went 12 - 0. Without doing more research that is very worrisome. 

Tattoo scandal with 5 players that all ended up in the NFL, and Jim Tressell kicked to the curb that year

5 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Can we put a clause in Stoops' contract that doesn't allow Mike within 500 miles of Austin?

Hadn't considered Herm. If nothing else I think he and his staff would recruit like MFers

Antonio Pierce is probably the best recruiter in the nation

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

isn't more than half his success a highly sophisticated cheating system to recruit incredible talent? His offenses suck ass.

Yes.  Kirby Smart is Will Muschamp with a bigger "recruiting" budget

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

Floating Bob Stoops, like every other rumor about him since he retired, just doesn't line up with why he walked away.  There was no scandal about to break on his head like all of Stillwater insisted on believing.  His dad dropped dead on a football field.  He hadn't recruited competitively, or even acted like he wanted to, in years.  He took the XFL job because it was what it was.  No expectations, no pressure, no groveling to teenagers, hardly even any media, just low-stakes football with a few of his old players.  If he didn't want the year-round circus that is OU, what does Austin look like?

Matt Campbell is not the worst idea I've heard.  He reportedly had paths out of Ames before now and signed an extension instead, so I don't know what that means.  Maybe UT can throw more money at him.  The headline that would cause me concern wouldn't be Campbell to Texas, though...it'd be Heacock going with him.

I think it's irrational to dismiss Fickell just because Herman was also a former tOSU/Urban guy with a G5 head job.  Fickell's track record at UC is longer and more consistent than Herman's at UH.  He's also just a different person and it's hard to imagine him, or a randomly selected adult male, being so unlikable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Bill obrien?  That's the kind of guy a good coach like Saban hires as an analyst and keeps him in the coaching bullpen.  

Stoops?  You give him a call, but then be prepared for the entire coaching fraternity to laugh behind your back when he says thanks but no thanks.

Herm Edwards? The dude is up there in age, but if it's between bringing Tom back and him, you go for herm.  

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR