• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

3 minutes ago, Yuk said:

I would absolutely take Traylor.  If we're going to go this direction, at least I'd like the guy.

I'd take a flyer on Traylor for all the reasons already enumerated. Plus, he'd come cheaper than UM, so fewer BMD's would be needed to fund Herman and staff's buyout and Traylor's & his staff's hire. For better or worse, however, that's not going to happen. Traylor's not nearly shiny enough and we'd run the risk of splitting the BMD's again, neither of which would be good in the long run. What does that leave us with? Dead-Man-Walking Herman for another year while recruiting continues to tank. Yeah, we truly are in the worst-case scenario. We jumped out of the plane, pulled the ripcord, and the Urbanchute didn't open. Alas.  

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Who the fuck would take that job when other schools are handing out $30-$75 million guaranteed? The dumbest motherfucker on the planet thats who. You need to bump that pay range up to about $10-$15 for a conference championship and $25 million for the national championship, or the thought exercise is pointless. 

not when there are no candidates worthy of $30-$75 guaranteed.

5 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

I think I’m on the Venables train.

we need a coach that pays attention to detail, knows how to coach at a high level, consistently in college. Knows how to recruit and identify talent.

He seems like the next great coach. He just needs the right opportunity.

Many ou and Clemson fans say he has zero interest in being a head coach at all. 

His career would suggest the same. 

Fickell, Tony Elliott, Steve Sarkisian, Matt Campbell, 

4 minutes ago, burdine said:

The most attainable Plan Bs:

Matt Campbell - good track record at ISU (but how much is having 4 years of Purdy) plus Toledo

Pat Fitzgerald - not sexy but sustained success in a major conference over 14 years, gets regular NFL interest

Bryan Harsin - success but he inherited a solid program

Jeff Traylor - less proven but deep Texas HS connections, might stabilize recruiting

Cant see Harsin coming here ever

Sans Urban, this would be my dream scenario:

HC - Allen/Fickell/Traylor/whatever
Prez of OL-Sherman
OT’s- moneywhip best guy
OG’s-moneywhip best guy
Center- moneywhip best guy
OL Analyst #1
OL Analysts #2
OL Analysts #3
OL Psychologist
OL S+C coach
OL NFL Liaison
OL nutrition coach
OL Mentor #1
OL Mentor #2
Private jet for OL
Brand new residences only for OL with restaurants, tailors, f350 parking, pool, spa, movie theatre, helipad, discoteca, bowling alley, strip club, Apple store, investment bankers, woodworking shop, boxing ring, jui-jitsu lessons, on call hunting guide, wrestling lessons, on call fishing guide, and tiffs treats next to Amy’s ice cream.

Whatever else I dont care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm actually in favor of Traylor as the backup plan if Mullen is a no go. But that would be based on Traylor having a plan for the full program and impressing in the interview based on everything that comes with the job. 

Step one is rescuing recruiting. Traylor does that. Same reason Rhule would be a terrible idea even if interested (he wouldn't be).

And yes, part of Traylor's appeal is a cheap short contract that guarantees Herman's exit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

The Traylor plus Muschamp/Odom, Samples, Maguire, Carrington deal sure got my attention. 

Traylor is going to go a school like fucking tech or tcu and shit down our throats for years and years because we cant look past our own dicks

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 3

I feel like I've been warped over to OrangeBloods with all of this Traylor talk. Sure, I liked the guy when he was here and he's doing impressive stuff with UTSA, but I challenge anyone to say they would be surprised if we hired him and four years from now we're looking back on how incredibly reactionary and stupid it was to follow up Charlie and Herman with the non-P5 trifecta ending with Traylor and expecting different results.

Not saying it'd happen and that he wouldn't break the mold Charlie and Herman set, just saying it's of the same mold and an extreme gamble, and one we can't afford to take at this juncture. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Handcruser said:

Sans Urban, this would be my dream scenario:

HC - Allen/Fickell/Traylor/whatever
Prez of OL-Sherman
OT’s- moneywhip best guy
OG’s-moneywhip best guy
Center- moneywhip best guy
OL Analyst #1
OL Analysts #2
OL Analysts #3
OL Psychologist
OL S+C coach
OL NFL Liaison
OL nutrition coach
OL Mentor #1
OL Mentor #2
Private jet for OL
Brand new residences only for OL with restaurants, tailors, f350 parking, pool, spa, movie theatre, helipad, discoteca, bowling alley, strip club, Apple store, investment bankers, woodworking shop, boxing ring, jui-jitsu lessons, on call hunting guide, wrestling lessons, on call fishing guide, and tiffs treats next to Amy’s ice cream.

Whatever else I dont care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Deer antler spray

Alabama's 'No 1 Draft Pick" Supplement Plan

1 minute ago, Doc Reeves said:

Cant see Harsin coming here ever

I think Traylor is interesting and different than what we have been trying.

You have him hire some big time name assistants and double down on Texas high school recruiting to shore up recruiting.  

Maybe our mistake is thinking throwing money at problems is the best way to fix them rather than think through a real strategy forward.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm actually in favor of Traylor as the backup plan if Mullen is a no go. But that would be based on Traylor having a plan for the full program and impressing in the interview based on everything that comes with the job. 

Step one is rescuing recruiting. Traylor does that. Same reason Rhule would be a terrible idea even if interested (he wouldn't be).

And yes, part of Traylor's appeal is a cheap short contract that guarantees Herman's exit. 

A cheaper head coach allows you to spend more on assistants.  Hire someone like Traylor and then go overboard on the assistants and analysts. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

if we're not getting one of the big name coaches available, then we don't have to pay our next coach $6 mil a year just because Herman was making around $5.8 mil.  it's so fucking stupid.

Traylor is making $800k a year.  you don't think he'd take $3.25 mil a year to coach Texas, with incentives?

we overpay for shit coaches who haven't proven they're worth the money.  make him earn it.

and to all of this, "well if we don't pay our coaches a shit-ton, we'll wind up with shitty candidates," look at what we've attracted.  Strong and Herman, who both robbed us blind.  we could have spent half the money for similar results.  or it could have worked out if we took the right guy, then he'd be cleaning up now.

• Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, I got busy yesterday and ... wow. I skipped like 30 pages, so forgive me if I'm late on something, but I got to catch up offline in any event.

Urban Meyer really is unpredictable and a bit of a flake. If it's really health, I guess it's a case of "you don't know until you have to say so" kind of thing. He still hasn't communicated directly, so nothing would shock me, but it seems obvious it's over. 

There is a push-pull right now in terms of direction. I've asked repeatedly about the viability of Herman staying and no one is hedging internally anywhere that he's staying. I still think they will really fuck this up and keep him with all kinds of rationalizations. The money was there last year for him. The money was there in the spring for Shaka Smart. Both were rationalized into being kept.

Another direction is going to the "nobody ever got fired for hiring ..." premise, in which a shiny object of the P5 nature will be chased. To me, that could look a lot like the Perrin/Piece baseball debacle in which we wind up getting a whole bunch of HCs raises across the country. I'm betting that if Herman does get shitcanned, this is the circus we see and somehow wind up with a wet fart like PJ Fleck, who will crush an interview and get the admin's panties wet. Even worse, and I can't stomach this, Fat Patty gets moneywhipped with his 4 losing seasons in the last 5 years.

Then there's the "get the guy that knows how to coach and develop" premise. This would be where Matt Campbell types come into the discussion more freely. Napier at Louisiana. You guys have all shit repeatedly on Traylor at UTSA, but he'd fall into this camp. He's 7-4 this year. He wins 10 or 11 games next year, suddenly everyone's ears perk up. He's connected deeply throughout the state HS ranks. He'd bring in one of the big name DCs that he knows or is friends with like a Muschamp or Odom. Guys like Samples and Maguire would be brought in as recruiting beasts. Carrington probably stays in role. I know no one wants to hear it and it would be deflating to me as well, but I can at least understand the approach. 

The NFL stuff that's been hinted at is cancer. It isn't Jeff Fisher. It also doesn't sound like it's happening, so whatever. 

As usual, it sounds like Texas is above the fray (in its own mind) and probably too good for a coordinator. Maybe an interested Venables would have a shot. Seems unlikely. 

I know this - the admin doesn't understand the dire state of the recruiting landscape if they get this wrong. They think they do, but they don't. They never have. 

Well, damn, you may have sold me on Traylor.  My god how depressing is that?  But if he wins -  no one gives a fuck where he came from or what his resume was.

Assuming his hiring is done with the idea that we are going to surround him with the best talent evaluators, recruiters, and teachers that money can buy - and that the staff will have the best OC/DC available - it wouldn't be the worst idea.

I don't think a Traylor hire is winning Ewers back - but I think he could at least keep us competitive in state and will have a hell of a lot better reputation than Herman. 

I don't think anyone is saying Traylor is a sure thing or great hire. 

But if he helps get Herman out for whatever reason, including financial, then that part works.  Traylor at 5 years and 25 million isn't a good hire. Traylor at 3 years guaranteed for 9 million might be. 

The bottom line is we have to get rid of Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I've been giving shit to the rubes on IT that were advocating for Traylor from the beginning - but dammit if they and now you don't have a point.

We get him cheap and short so that if the experiments fails we have an easy out to pull the plug in three years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't think anyone is saying Traylor is a sure thing or great hire. 

But if he helps get Herman out for whatever reason, including financial, then that part works.  Traylor at 5 years and 25 million isn't a good hire. Traylor at 3 years guaranteed for 9 million might be. 

The bottom line is we have to get rid of Herman. 

the optics of lowballing your new head coach are not good. way to neuter your hire before he even starts

3 minutes ago, The Beast said:

LOL on Traylor...............Hello darkness my old friend. 

The scope and scale of everyting surrounding UT athletics would crush Traylor worse than it did Charlie Strong. You don't take a NASCAR driver and just drop him into F1.

Just the media distractions would overwhelm most candidates. Media content = money. Money is the fuel that keeps everything going. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Herman needing to go is a given. I just refuse to believe that the only (or most feasible) way to achieve that is hiring a Traylor or comparable.

Edit: Last post I'll make off the thread topic. Still here for discussion/speculation around Urban until the cows come home to roost. 

Edited by derpyhorndog

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

the optics of lowballing your new head coach are not good. way to neuter your hire before he even starts

3 million per year is not lowballing a guy making 800k.

What do you think is going to happen?

"You can't go to Texas Mr. Star Recruit! Their coach would make less money off of your hard work than I would!"

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Boy, I got busy yesterday and ... wow. I skipped like 30 pages, so forgive me if I'm late on something, but I got to catch up offline in any event.

Urban Meyer really is unpredictable and a bit of a flake. If it's really health, I guess it's a case of "you don't know until you have to say so" kind of thing. He still hasn't communicated directly, so nothing would shock me, but it seems obvious it's over. 

There is a push-pull right now in terms of direction. I've asked repeatedly about the viability of Herman staying and no one is hedging internally anywhere that he's staying. I still think they will really fuck this up and keep him with all kinds of rationalizations. The money was there last year for him. The money was there in the spring for Shaka Smart. Both were rationalized into being kept.

Another direction is going to the "nobody ever got fired for hiring ..." premise, in which a shiny object of the P5 nature will be chased. To me, that could look a lot like the Perrin/Piece baseball debacle in which we wind up getting a whole bunch of HCs raises across the country. I'm betting that if Herman does get shitcanned, this is the circus we see and somehow wind up with a wet fart like PJ Fleck, who will crush an interview and get the admin's panties wet. Even worse, and I can't stomach this, Fat Patty gets moneywhipped with his 4 losing seasons in the last 5 years.

Then there's the "get the guy that knows how to coach and develop" premise. This would be where Matt Campbell types come into the discussion more freely. Napier at Louisiana. You guys have all shit repeatedly on Traylor at UTSA, but he'd fall into this camp. He's 7-4 this year. He wins 10 or 11 games next year, suddenly everyone's ears perk up. He's connected deeply throughout the state HS ranks. He'd bring in one of the big name DCs that he knows or is friends with like a Muschamp or Odom. Guys like Samples and Maguire would be brought in as recruiting beasts. Carrington probably stays in role. I know no one wants to hear it and it would be deflating to me as well, but I can at least understand the approach. 

The NFL stuff that's been hinted at is cancer. It isn't Jeff Fisher. It also doesn't sound like it's happening, so whatever. 

As usual, it sounds like Texas is above the fray (in its own mind) and probably too good for a coordinator. Maybe an interested Venables would have a shot. Seems unlikely. 

I know this - the admin doesn't understand the dire state of the recruiting landscape if they get this wrong. They think they do, but they don't. They never have. 

I’m probably in the minority that thinks Traylor could be successful. That’s probably based on close friends in Gilmer who were involved in his hire there and who know him well, personally. Not my first choice, but I think he’s a star in the making. He understands how to motivate and control kids. The fact that the Boyd kids graduated from high school was a minor miracle. He’s a high-character, high-accountability dude. He’d recruit well. High school coaches love him and his players love him. More than anything, he expects to win championships.

Gilmer, as in many East Texas towns, has a group of boosters that have to be managed. Nothing to the degree of UT, but a microcosm of it. Those boosters can be the coach’s best friend or worst enemy. He managed them well and used them to keep players out of trouble and actually passing their classes. He understands that being head coach is about more than just coaching. 

Again, I’m not saying he’s our guy, and I know he’d never get an offer. I just like him better than the guy we have now, and we know he’d be cheap if we found ourselves in a bind. I’d prefer him to Franklin or Fleck, without question. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I posted this on the Urban thread, but I guess this is the more appropriate place. 

I’m probably in the minority that thinks Traylor could be successful. That’s probably based on close friends in Gilmer who were involved in his hire there and who know him well, personally. Not my first choice, but I think he’s a star in the making. He understands how to motivate and control kids. The fact that the Boyd kids graduated from high school was a minor miracle. He’s a high-character, high-accountability dude. He’d recruit well. High school coaches love him and his players love him. More than anything, he expects to win championships.

Gilmer, as in many East Texas towns, has a group of boosters that have to be managed. Nothing to the degree of UT, but a microcosm of it. Those boosters can be the coach’s best friend or worst enemy. He managed them well and used them to keep players out of trouble and actually passing their classes. He understands that being head coach is about more than just coaching. 

Again, I’m not saying he’s our guy, and I know he’d never get an offer. I just like him better than the guy we have now, and we know he’d be cheap if we found ourselves in a bind. I’d prefer him to Franklin or Fleck, without question.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to The Surly Official 2020 Corching Search Thread of DOOM and DESPAIR